PDA

View Full Version : Flex scheduling starting Nov 12

The_Philster
10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
The Chicago Bears-New York Giants game on Sunday, Nov. 12, will be played at 8:15 p.m. ET on NBC and the New Orleans Saints-Pittsburgh Steelers game will move to 4:15 p.m. ET on FOX as part of the first week of flexible scheduling, the NFL announced today. ...more (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9751740)

DMBcrew36
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
cool, those look like 2 good games... can't blame them for not wanting to put the Bills in the spotlight.

G. Host
10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
I hope they never do. Too many Bills fans pay a lot of money to see Bills and having their plans ruined is wrong. If they ever did that to a games I was attending I'd egg or otherwise express my frustration to broadcasting truck.

The_Philster
10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
I hope they never do. Too many Bills fans pay a lot of money to see Bills and having their plans ruined is wrong. If they ever did that to a games I was attending I'd egg or otherwise express my frustration to broadcasting truck.
If they never do, that would mean we'll always suck. I don't think it'll happen this year...but I wouldn't be surprised to get a night game like that next season.

G. Host
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
If they never do, that would mean we'll always suck. I don't think it'll happen this year...but I wouldn't be surprised to get a night game like that next season.

Flex scheduling means people who drive long distances or fly into town for games have to leave on Monday and take off another day of work and pay for another day in hotel. Maybe if fans start including signs at games NBC will decide they would rather spotlight a different team or wait to Bills play away like ABC did.

The_Philster
10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I know what it means...a lot of people are gonna have to start planning ahead...taking Mondays off after home games. The ABC thing is a different story...Monday night....which would mean people would have to take 2 days off, not one. Ralph was deadset against a home MNF game but he relented for SNF games...and we hosted a few a few years back. Don't be surprised to see it happen again.

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Flex Scheduling is stupid, IMO. G Host is right, people pay a lot of money to travel, make plans, hotel reservations, etc, and then they change the game time? That would piss me off royally. Personally, I watch Sunday Night Football no matter who the match up is, and I'm sure most football fans do too.

G. Host
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I know what it means...a lot of people are gonna have to start planning ahead...taking Mondays off after home games. The ABC thing is a different story...Monday night....which would mean people would have to take 2 days off, not one. Ralph was deadset against a home MNF game but he relented for SNF games...and we hosted a few a few years back. Don't be surprised to see it happen again.

The only games I can remember recently at night at home are games where the next day the fans had day off - Saturday and Sunday nights when there was a holiday on Monday. No Thursday night games either. Oh and there is a BIG difference in getting weeks notice and 12 days notice - some have committed all of their vacation plus getting new hotel nights and changing air flights.

CuseJetsFan83
10-25-2006, 02:02 AM
well i understand why they do it, they want decent games or at least games between "decent" teams....

and not the toilet bowl aka jets vs saints from last year when both teams had 2 wins in week i wanna say 13?

The_Philster
10-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Flex Scheduling is stupid, IMO. G Host is right, people pay a lot of money to travel, make plans, hotel reservations, etc, and then they change the game time? That would piss me off royally. Personally, I watch Sunday Night Football no matter who the match up is, and I'm sure most football fans do too.
49ers-Lions?
They've had some putrid matchups on MNF in the past. Now that they switched the "premiere game" to SNF, it makes it more workable...but no way is everyone gonna be satisfied.

CuseJetsFan83
10-25-2006, 03:56 AM
IMO, i'd much rather have a sunday night game, because at least you can use monday as a travel home day like most people do....... or just leave directly after the game........ but phil, i concur about the no one being happy part.

pretty much they just dont want any goose-egg games in the SNF spot........ and i really dont want another jets/saints matchup like last year..... yes im a jets fan, but when you have two horrible teams playing as the only game with no alternatives...... i was finding myself trying to do other things....

at least a colts/pats..... giants/bears.......... hell even a divisional game of 2 bad teams is better than a non-divisional game of 2 mediocre/horrible teams

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2006, 06:06 AM
49ers-Lions?
They've had some putrid matchups on MNF in the past. Now that they switched the "premiere game" to SNF, it makes it more workable...but no way is everyone gonna be satisfied.

I'd watch it. I'm a football fan. I love watching NFL football. Anything can happen, which is why I watch.

Michael82
10-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone else think it would be hilarious if the games that they moved to Sunday Night turned out to be boring, goose eggs? :rofl:

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Night games dont concern the Bills. =)

Typ0
10-25-2006, 01:04 PM
I can see the point of people travelling to the stadium but they are just collateral damages. This type of scheduling will bring in tens of millions of viewers over the course of the season and it's a no brainer.

The_Philster
10-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I'd watch it. I'm a football fan. I love watching NFL football. Anything can happen, which is why I watch.
Me too....but we're more diehard than your average fan

Anyone else think it would be hilarious if the games that they moved to Sunday Night turned out to be boring, goose eggs? :rofl:The reason they're doing this is to lessen the odds of that happening...but that being said, there's no way of guaranteeing anything.

Typ0
10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Anyone else think it would be hilarious if the games that they moved to Sunday Night turned out to be boring, goose eggs? :rofl:

even if that happens more viewers will tune in initially driving up the costs of advertising in the first 15 minutes of the games. The previous schedule would put stinker teams and stinker matchups on and fewer people would tune in. It's not just designed to get better games but more competititve and meaningfull contests.

RockStar36
10-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I think that they announce the flex changes far enough in advance for fans to make arrangements. Also, I think fans who buy tickets to the late games kind of take that chance and should know that there is a chance of the gametime moving back.

That being said, I'm afraid that the Bills could somehow slip into primtime this year if they win a few more games. I heard yesterday that each network gets to protect 5 games each week in which NBC can't pick from. I could just see those network protecting the really good matchups and leaving something open like a Colts game against the Bills or something of the sort just to get Peyton on TV in between his Sprint commercials.

The_Philster
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I think that they announce the flex changes far enough in advance for fans to make arrangements. Also, I think fans who buy tickets to the late games kind of take that chance and should know that there is a chance of the gametime moving back.

That being said, I'm afraid that the Bills could somehow slip into primtime this year if they win a few more games. I heard yesterday that each network gets to protect 5 games each week in which NBC can't pick from. I could just see those network protecting the really good matchups and leaving something open like a Colts game against the Bills or something of the sort just to get Peyton on TV in between his Sprint commercials.
I just hope that the Bills-Jags game doesn't get moved...I couldn't get that Monday off...****ing hunters :mad:

RockStar36
10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I would guess if that happens that the Colts or Chargers game have the only shot of getting moved since they involve an elite team and a matchup that probably wouldn't be protected by the networks.

The_Philster
10-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I would guess if that happens that the Colts or Chargers game have the only shot of getting moved since they involve an elite team and a matchup that probably wouldn't be protected by the networks.
I could handle either one of those...one's on the road...and the other precedes a vacation day :up:

The Jags game would suck...only cause I'd go into work with, if I'm lucky, 2-3 hours of sleep :ill:

RockStar36
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I'll take the ticket off your hand if that's the case. ;)

The_Philster
10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I'll take the ticket off your hand if that's the case. ;)
:laughter: I ain't missing the game

RockStar36
10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Well in that case I hope the game gets moved to the night and I don't want to listen to you ***** the next day.

The_Philster
10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Well in that case I hope the game gets moved to the night and I don't want to listen to you ***** the next day.
I'd be better off going and then complaining the next day...I don't wanna think about all the questioning I'd get the following week for missing a game...everyone at the tailgate, at the Pinto, in the section, and from the Jills :dizzy:

Cntrygal
10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't like the flex schedule deal at all.

Typ0
10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I like it...I'd rather see a good game on TV in primetime. But I'm quite disillusioned with the NFL anyway so it's not big deal either.