PDA

View Full Version : How much more did the mularkey era ruin Jp??

Kerr
10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Besides playing revolving qb all of last season, it seems to me jp's lost some of the confidence and leadership qualities he had coming out of tulane. If you recall, coming out of college, he had a lot of confidence, which was described at times as arrogant and brash. He had this attitude that he was the best qb around and even at the combine, he was pissed off because he was overlooked by people as not being good enough to hang with the "big" three. He thought he was better than big ben,manning and rivers. He had this attitude that rubbed people in the wrong way. When he came to the bills, it was said he may have rubbed the veterans and some other peeps in the wrong way with his "arrogance". It seems he was asked to change, tone it down, become more humble and not open his mouth. Remember when I said the coaching staff was trying to make him become the type of qb he would have a hard try becoming? Well it started in his first year. He was asked to change his personality. Don't be cocky or open your mouth at all because you're only a rookie. In the long run, this seems to have been a mistake. Everyone keeps pointing out he lowers his head in defeat and doesn't act like a leader at all on the field and the sidelines. Well I'll tell you what- Coming out of tulane he was the total opposite. He had a "swagger". He opened his mouth. He was a feiry competitor and a tough leader. He had a terrible O-line he had to deal with. No different from here. And apparently in the no huddle spread offense used at tulane, the qb had to be very smart and figure out all the pre-snap adjustments(blitz, etc) to be successful. It wasn't an easy offense to play. Patrick Ramsey had trouble with throwing ints in that offense. I believe it was jp who held the school record for lowest int total by a qb. The fact is jp was an intelligent qb at tulane. I don't want to hear how division 2 competition is not the same to division 1 or none of that squat because chad pennington, randy moss and other players translated well in the nfl from division 2. I think it's all mental aspects that determines whether a player from division 2, division 1 or any other college can translate their success into the pros.

Right now jp is struggling with mostly becoming a pocket qb, something he was not familair with much at tulane. Alex Smith of the 49ers was in a similar offense at utah. He was also a shotgun qb, but has done well adapting under center this year. You saw him struggle last season as a rookie throwing 1 td and 15 ints. Right now as it stands, jp is at a loss with no answers. I think he needs to bring back the old jp out of the closet. Become the leader he was at tulane. Talk smack. If it means he'll play better, he should do whatever it takes. ****, bring jimbo in to show him how to get in players faces. Afterall, number 12 had the same attitude coming out of UM.

I would love to see jp succeed and be here next year as the starter, but the fans can only take so much inconsistency. While there is a big learning curve for him becoming a good pocket qb, he needs to cut down on his own mistakes. It's obviously a tough transition for him. Since it seems the coaching staff is going to make him become a pocket qb(instead of using him the proper way), the best thing he can do take these next two weeks to regain that confidence he left at the door his rookie year. He needs to bring back college jp and just let it all fly out. Maybe, just maybe, he can at least be a decent qb in this offense and a guy who plays and acts like a leader who has attitude. Worst case scenario, as a few people mentioned here, this team is going to have to pull a san diego and draft a backup plan in case jp can't pull it together by season's end.

Inetpub
10-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Cockiness and confidence are 2 different things. Although they can be easily be mistaken, JP was cocky coming to Buffalo. He quickly learned you dont win friends on the sidelines with a cocky attitude as Mularkey slapped him sideways there. I dont think I would want a cocky QB because it'll bring more criticism to him. What he does need is confidence though. That you didnt hear in the draft and that is something that he will NEED to develop in order to get better. Confidence in his hands, his throws and his choices. Once you make them, make the play. Dont wait till the corner has read your eyes and guessed your throw.

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Cockyness or Confidence, dont care. Let it out JP. I think your onto something Kerr.

Ebenezer
10-25-2006, 12:21 AM
He was almost exclusively a 100% shot gun QB playing at a non-major Div. 1 school...he has/had a LOT to learn about pro-style under the QB offenses. There are always teams that have players slotted for different rounds but I think on draft day ESPN saying that many teams had him slotted for the 2nd round...

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi ebenezer. I think that he was slotted for 1st round, GB was gonna pick him if we didnt.

Ebenezer
10-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi ebenezer. I think that he was slotted for 1st round, GB was gonna pick him if we didnt.
that is why we jumped up, correct...but i do remember Kiper or somebody saying that many teams thought he was a mid 2nd round choice...

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 04:55 AM
Very good post

I think his treatment by Donahoe/Mularky was disgraceful. Human nature but decent Head Coaches/GM don't put their hide in front of others.

And I also read about his arrogance, cockiness, and brashness coming out of college. It shows the lack of brains in the previous management. It is almost impossible to change the way people behave, so use it to your advantage.

I also think selfish, big headed, so-called pros like Eric Moulds should reflect on their behaviour. I don't recall that he was a success coming out of college. In fact 'bust' was a term to describe Moulds in his earlier days and he should reflect on this.

They should given JP the license to go out on the field and say 'just get it done' - run, scramble, get the ball down the field. At the end of each game you can then look at the video and rather than say "you should have done this", you say " at this point, you might have wanted to have considered these other options"

Its called learning

YardRat
10-25-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm tired of hearing how much Mularkey did/didn't screw this kid up. Why don't you take it one step further back in time? How much did Tulane screw JP up by not running a conventional pro set his entire college career?

jmb1099
10-25-2006, 06:22 AM
There is a lot about the whole TD era we will never know I'm sure and it will continue to have an impact on this team for at least another year or more. And as far as Losman was concerned he was mismanaged while MM was here in more ways than one. However, MM isn't the reason Losman is making the fundamental mistakes he's making. There are four major things wrong with the offense right now.

1)The first and most foundational is the oline: WM yards per carry last game was under 3...that's dismal. As I was listening to the game this past Sunday I would hear Losman drops back to pass then immediatley following that statment was pressure avoids one defender, gets away from another...maybe the moves we are making on oline this week will fix some of this.

2) QB: Losman has the ability to make plays that just leave you speechless and hitting the instant replay on your tivo over and over again and we've seen that this year. But we've also seen awful interceptions and needless fumbles. Now it is said that Losman holds on to the ball too long and to a point I agree. But much of this is because he is constantly evading defenders that seem to be able to run in almost un touched from 2 or three different positions one of which is the blind side. So when this happens adjustments are supposed to me made by three key positions: coaches, qb, receivers and this isn't happening.
Also, there was very interesting commentary the other night during the Monday Night game by Joe Thiesman (so take it for what its worth) talking about Eli Manning and how he is still inexperienced and how he's only had 30 or so games etc. So in this we do have the MM factor to think about.

3) Receivers: Right now our receiving corps (with the exception of Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish) is the most un-inspiring group in the league. Dropped TD passes, unable to get seperation at the line, no route adjustments for pressure situations. Evans, our so called best receiver drops a sure td last week. Andre Davis, who is supposed to be super fast can't seem to get underneath a pass. Peerless, well he's ok but with the exception of that one play against minny nothing to wirte home about.

4) Coaching: Enough with the gadget plays, enough with trying to be cute. Its time to play some serious football. On 3rd and 1 ram the ball forward. You have a chance for 3 points take three. We don't need trickery, we need execution.

Typ0
10-25-2006, 06:46 AM
it's about time everyone stopped blaming this party or that party in Lossman's regression. Last season, he had a pretty good game on the opener and then he came back with a stinker. Well after the stinker he stunk. He couldn't get it out of his head. That was not the coaching staff or management. He got benched. If you think it happened any different then you are just looking for a scapegoat to assuage your optimistic albeit unrealisting thinking.

Lossman is a big boy now. Lossman needs to be held accountable for himself. If everything he does is always going to be someone else's fault then cut him loose and get a real man in here not some dependant sissy.

don137
10-25-2006, 06:57 AM
it's about time everyone stopped blaming this party or that party in Lossman's regression. Last season, he had a pretty good game on the opener and then he came back with a stinker. Well after the stinker he stunk. He couldn't get it out of his head. That was not the coaching staff or management. He got benched. If you think it happened any different then you are just looking for a scapegoat to assuage your optimistic albeit unrealisting thinking.

Lossman is a big boy now. Lossman needs to be held accountable for himself. If everything he does is always going to be someone else's fault then cut him loose and get a real man in here not some dependant sissy.

I agree. I do think the previous regime did not handle him correctly but how much are we expected to coddle him? This is the NFL for cryin out loud. He's had three years to mature. The other 3 QBs taken before him in that draft were all handled differently and all three are doing much better than Losman. Losman needs to be accountable for his play on the field. If he can't produce by the end of the year then he may not be any more than a decent back up and not starter material.

Kerr
10-25-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm not making excuses for his play right now. I'm saying his confidence and attitude don't seem to be the same since draft day because certain people didn't like his personality. Somehow dumping most of what he was seems to have affected the way he approaches the game. For once i'd like to hear a cocky jp at the podium. I have compared interviews between tulane and now. They're not the same. Of course, this is jp's responsibility to get it back because nobody else is going to do it for him. There's no pampering or coddling. Just pointing out that the former regime should have let him be. Perhaps I should change the title of the thread because it's giving some the impression jp is a poor little boy in distress who needs excuses.

justasportsfan
10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
whatever damage or bad habits he got under Mularkey can be salvaged. It just takes time. He barely got his feet wet and then had to learn an whole different thing all over again. He's learning on the fly and we expected him to struggle. Jim Kelly would've sucked under Jp's circumstances too.

Inetpub
10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Jim Kelly would've sucked under Jp's circumstances too.

Thats rather a harsh criticism that you have no way of proving. Really if you guys are all going to say we have new coaching and new schemes and new team members are the reasons why JP isnt doing well, it should be extended to all players. Maybe some are having problems adjusting to the new Defensive schemes we have going. The OLine has a younger face in there so maybe we'll see a slower development on thier part than what we hoped. Are they to blame if they have new coaching? Maybe we need to question that and give the OLine 16 games to develop.

jmb1099
10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Thats rather a harsh criticism that you have no way of proving. Really if you guys are all going to say we have new coaching and new schemes and new team members are the reasons why JP isnt doing well, it should be extended to all players. Maybe some are having problems adjusting to the new Defensive schemes we have going. The OLine has a younger face in there so maybe we'll see a slower development on thier part than what we hoped. Are they to blame if they have new coaching? Maybe we need to question that and give the OLine 16 games to develop.
Some decent points here. The proof in Kelly struggling in the same circumstances is in this: how many superbowl teams had terrible defensive and offensive lines? I think none, but if there have been then my bad. How many super bowl teams have there been with entirely new systems, coach's etc? I think none, but if there have been then again my bad. As I have been saying the whole team is sucking it up right now, not just Losman. And before anyone says it I KNOW HE IS PLAYING MORE POORLY THAN HE OUGHT TO BE NO EXCUSES, BUT SO IS THE WHOLE DAMN TEAM! STOP TRYING TO PIN ALL OF THE BILLS WOES ON ONE GUY!

HAMMER
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
STOP! Be realistic, it takes time to develop a QB, it doesn't happen overnight. Some guys take longer than others. We are no where close to the point where Losman should be blamed for losses. If we had a great O-Line and he were the cause of our losses I would understand all the pissing and moaning you all are doing. It takes good line play on both sides of the ball to win, we have neither. As Marv said, no one can hold onto a ball when he gets blindsided because his LT can't make or hold a block.

dplus47
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
a big part of confidence and cockiness is success. you can ask a cocky person who talks a lot to tone it down, but you're not going to change his personality, IMO. JP was cocky in college because of success he had at that level. if JP ever returns to that level of personal success (and i'm talking play-to-play here even, not W-L records or anything), i think he'll return to the old self. most young QB's are humble because they are getting humiliated on the feild weekly.

now one could argue that "lack of success" is something built-in to the mularkey program, but that's a different discussion. i don't think JP mopes a lot because of anything mularkey told him to do. i think he mopes because he hasn't felt this type of on-field frustration before.

just my 2 cents, of course.

Typ0
10-26-2006, 03:39 PM
STOP! Be realistic, it takes time to develop a QB, it doesn't happen overnight. Some guys take longer than others. We are no where close to the point where Losman should be blamed for losses. If we had a great O-Line and he were the cause of our losses I would understand all the pissing and moaning you all are doing. It takes good line play on both sides of the ball to win, we have neither. As Marv said, no one can hold onto a ball when he gets blindsided because his LT can't make or hold a block.

OK...what about the other 10 turnovers? I'm sorry but no one...no one in this league plays when they are clueless about protecting the ball. Yet JP gets a pass because "the blocking stinks". Hold on to the ball with two hands kid. Don't drop snaps. Don't lay down the football every time you get hit. Do those things or sit down. If he had done those things we'd be where the JESTS are right now.

BILLSROCK1212
10-26-2006, 09:23 PM
i think Mularky had him going in the right direction

Jeff1220
10-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Truth is, we still don't know what we have in JP. Holding on to him at this point seems risky, but so does letting him go.
San Diego was in this position w/Brees a few years ago, assumed he was a career back-up and spent their high draft choice on Rivers. Brees woke up and they had some big choices to make. Rivers looks like he'll be a good QB, but Brees is on fire right now.
On the flip side, the Ravens had their Kyle Boller. This guy has a huge arm and ookay mobility (ie. tons of upside). It seems like they have given him every chance in the world to succeed. Every season, he'd have a couple of solid games at toward the end of the season - just enough to warrant giving him another shot the next season. After years of this, and the QB position bringing them down, the Ravens signed McNair (and had he not come available, they'd likely still be going w/Boller).
Point is, at this point JP is 50/50. We really don't know what he's got, but it's just as big of a risk to keep trying as it is to let go. That is almost always going to be a recipe for controversy and debate.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Good post, Jeff

Kadiddlehopper
10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Must have been alot, look what he's done down south!

billsfairweatherfan
10-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Besides playing revolving qb all of last season, it seems to me jp's lost some of the confidence and leadership qualities he had coming out of tulane. If you recall, coming out of college, he had a lot of confidence, which was described at times as arrogant and brash. He had this attitude that he was the best qb around and even at the combine, he was pissed off because he was overlooked by people as not being good enough to hang with the "big" three. He thought he was better than big ben,manning and rivers. He had this attitude that rubbed people in the wrong way. When he came to the bills, it was said he may have rubbed the veterans and some other peeps in the wrong way with his "arrogance". It seems he was asked to change, tone it down, become more humble and not open his mouth. Remember when I said the coaching staff was trying to make him become the type of qb he would have a hard try becoming? Well it started in his first year. He was asked to change his personality. Don't be cocky or open your mouth at all because you're only a rookie. In the long run, this seems to have been a mistake. Everyone keeps pointing out he lowers his head in defeat and doesn't act like a leader at all on the field and the sidelines. Well I'll tell you what- Coming out of tulane he was the total opposite. He had a "swagger". He opened his mouth. He was a feiry competitor and a tough leader. He had a terrible O-line he had to deal with. No different from here. And apparently in the no huddle spread offense used at tulane, the qb had to be very smart and figure out all the pre-snap adjustments(blitz, etc) to be successful. It wasn't an easy offense to play. Patrick Ramsey had trouble with throwing ints in that offense. I believe it was jp who held the school record for lowest int total by a qb. The fact is jp was an intelligent qb at tulane. I don't want to hear how division 2 competition is not the same to division 1 or none of that squat because chad pennington, randy moss and other players translated well in the nfl from division 2. I think it's all mental aspects that determines whether a player from division 2, division 1 or any other college can translate their success into the pros.

Right now jp is struggling with mostly becoming a pocket qb, something he was not familair with much at tulane. Alex Smith of the 49ers was in a similar offense at utah. He was also a shotgun qb, but has done well adapting under center this year. You saw him struggle last season as a rookie throwing 1 td and 15 ints. Right now as it stands, jp is at a loss with no answers. I think he needs to bring back the old jp out of the closet. Become the leader he was at tulane. Talk smack. If it means he'll play better, he should do whatever it takes. ****, bring jimbo in to show him how to get in players faces. Afterall, number 12 had the same attitude coming out of UM.

I would love to see jp succeed and be here next year as the starter, but the fans can only take so much inconsistency. While there is a big learning curve for him becoming a good pocket qb, he needs to cut down on his own mistakes. It's obviously a tough transition for him. Since it seems the coaching staff is going to make him become a pocket qb(instead of using him the proper way), the best thing he can do take these next two weeks to regain that confidence he left at the door his rookie year. He needs to bring back college jp and just let it all fly out. Maybe, just maybe, he can at least be a decent qb in this offense and a guy who plays and acts like a leader who has attitude. Worst case scenario, as a few people mentioned here, this team is going to have to pull a san diego and draft a backup plan in case jp can't pull it together by season's end.
jp sucks playing big time and no one is to blame but him. sounds like your making more freaking excuses for the bum.remove your blinders when the game is on next time