PDA

View Full Version : The changes to the OL-

OpIv37
10-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not so sure I like them. Peters was solid at RT and starting to develop into a quality player, particularly on pass blocking. Now we're moving him yet again? And filling his spot with a rookie? And moving a mediocre tackle inside to guard didn't exactly yield positive results last season with Mike Williams, so what makes them think it will work now?

Ok, all that being said, it has to be done. This season is pretty much shot. If we can turn Peters into a quality LT and if Pennington turns out to be worth a damn, it eliminates the offensive tackle position as one of our biggest off-season needs. And for all Gandy's faults, he's not a big fat overpaid lazy piece of **** like Mike Williams. It may actually work for him.

And, now we have Tutan Reyes riding the pine, which means Villarial can be benched at any time (and probably will be sooner rather than later).

Conclusion: it's a bit of a desperation move and it may not work. But we have nothing to lose at this point, and if it does happen to work (or at least work better than what we were doing), it will help us tremendously in the off-season and next year.

OpIv37
10-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Oh and one more thing- I've been tough on Jauron but I've got to give him at least a little credit for this one.

Things aren't working, but he's making some real moves to try to fix them, unlike our previous coach. "ooh, we're 1-5, let's cut Bobby Shaw." "Ooh, Mike Williams sucks, let's make him the highest paid guard in the history of the world". Please.

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I think its going to work. Peters is the best lineman on the team, he completely *****ed Richard Seymour last Sunday. Hopefully Peters becomes our franchise LT, that would be peachy. However, since were on the topic. We need to try Merz at RG, what are your feelings on this Op?

LtBillsFan66
10-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Might as well try something. What a great FA pick Reyes turned out to be. This offseason, we better concentrate on both lines.

OpIv37
10-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I think its going to work. Peters is the best lineman on the team, he completely *****ed Richard Seymour last Sunday. Hopefully Peters becomes our franchise LT, that would be peachy. However, since were on the topic. We need to try Merz at RG, what are your feelings on this Op?

Villarial needs to go so I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't think we should make 4 OL changes at one time. 3 is difficult enough. Let's give this a try for a few games and if it doesn't work, throw Merz in.

There is one downside to all these OL changes: it makes it more difficult to evaluate Losman. If the O continues to struggle, we'll be having the same old "chicken or the egg" debate about whether it's Losman or the OL. Dick was apparently absent from 9th grade physics on the they taught the scientific method: you can only test one variable at a time. But I guess he's limited with the players we have. I still like the fact that he's at least trying to do something about the problem.

gr8slayer
10-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I dont think Peters was "solid", decent, average, good, but not solid.

OpIv37
10-24-2006, 11:19 PM
I dont think Peters was "solid", decent, average, good, but not solid.

well pick your positive adjective- any desciption that doesn't involve the word "sucks" makes him better than any other OL we have.

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Villarial needs to go so I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't think we should make 4 OL changes at one time. 3 is difficult enough. Let's give this a try for a few games and if it doesn't work, throw Merz in.

There is one downside to all these OL changes: it makes it more difficult to evaluate Losman. If the O continues to struggle, we'll be having the same old "chicken or the egg" debate about whether it's Losman or the OL. Dick was apparently absent from 9th grade physics on the they taught the scientific method: you can only test one variable at a time. But I guess he's limited with the players we have. I still like the fact that he's at least trying to do something about the problem.
You write some funny **** man, lol.. I agree with ya though. But I know the O wont continue to struggle. This change is too drastic, you watch. Our left side of the line has suddenly gained 40 lbs. if we were to put Merz at RG the right side would of gained equally as much! I expect good things.

cablesabres68
10-24-2006, 11:41 PM
the guys ho were broadcasting the game said he was the type of lineman to build a line around and they said he was a solid tackle

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 11:51 PM
the guys ho were broadcasting the game said he was the type of lineman to build a line around and they said he was a solid tackle
There right. Peters dominated the Pats DL. Not many people can do that.

bflojohn
10-25-2006, 01:27 AM
The flaw in your argument, when it comes to Mike Gandy, is that he is a OLG who played OLT for a team that needed help, and as a "team player", he made the switch to help the Bills. I'm glad Gandy was signed last year because he gave it his all and I personally think that he will succeed at OLG. The left side will be sound now because Gandy will be very cogniscent of twists and stunts and make Jason Peters' move over there pretty seamless! I like the Pennington experiment, because the Bills are hoping for the same "lightning in a bottle" that they recieved from Peters last season. If this pans out, we may stumble on a bookend match that could change the face of the Bills 2007 draft strategy! The ramifications are interesting, whereby drafting and/or signing road-grading OG's will now be the final step in developing a DOMINENT offensive line!! Almost sounds too good to be true, huh?

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Whilst I think Peters athleticism will make the LT better, long term I am very unsure he will be an outstanding success. He will be targetted heavily in the next 9 games.

Very few non-college LTs make a success of the role, I'm thinking Brad Hopkins, Jason Fabini, and Matt Lepsis recently. I am thinking that whilst Peters has the natural athelticism, does he have natural feel for the position? Covering someones blindside you almost have to sense where they are and that could be tough. I would eventually think that Peters could be our next Ruben Brown.

I think it would be irresponsible not to take one of the forthcoming college LT in at least R1 or R2. It is a treasure trove of quality with potentially 6-8 possible LT starters who could become franchise studs. And I am not talking projects here. If Peters level of play was to fall off or he got injured or a guard got injured and he had the best build to move inside and play guard, we a slotting in a starting calibre LT. I would be happier doing that than running a patched up OL if someone was out for the season especially at LT.

I do think Reyes was a bit of a panic Free Agent signing. There was a reason he got cut and it wasn't money. I do think Gandy is a fighter but I don't think he has a natural feel for the game. He was a OG in Chicago who got cut. I'd be happy for him to ride the bench as the 6th man, as in a game day emergency he could slot into LT or OG minimising the need for changes.

I think Villarial survived only because of the number of changes. In his first game Merz was acceptable. At 6ft4, 340lbs he could be an immovable lump and by all accounts he does have some athleticism. Likewise I would be interested in seeing Preston take some downs at his college position of centre. He carries about 20lbs more than Fowler.

On the right hand side, I was slightly surprised by the move to Pennington. I think the fact that a McNally disciple was his college coach has helped his transition plus he carries about 20lbs more than Butler. If nothing else this will light a fire under Butler, get him early to the breakfast table to bulk up and if Pennington does have a ropey game, we can take a look at Butler

Certainly if Pennington doesn't work out, I am more inclined to go for a Day1 Left tackle in the draft. I think it is easier to move left to right, than right to left.

Finally does this change represent what they truly think of Nall's starting ability?

YardRat
10-25-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm guessing the changes aren't done, yet...I would expect to see Merz or Reyes take over for V before the end of the year.

It seems to me that Jauron had to tip his hand early because of the circumstances, and actually the plan was in place to move Peters to LT right along, best case scenario this next off-season after some of the younger guys got a year of experience on their resume. After the performances the last three games especially, but in reality the entire season, Jauron has taken a stance of 'the future is now, let's see what we have'.

I would also expect to see more moves made in the future, depending on the play of the rest of the team. The last nine games of the season have just become an extended training camp getting prepared for next year.

BidsJr
10-25-2006, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=kernowboy]

I think it would be irresponsible not to take one of the forthcoming college LT in at least R1 or R2. It is a treasure trove of quality with potentially 6-8 possible LT starters who could become franchise studs. And I am not talking projects here. If Peters level of play was to fall off or he got injured or a guard got injured and he had the best build to move inside and play guard, we a slotting in a starting calibre LT. I would be happier doing that than running a patched up OL if someone was out for the season especially at LT.
[QUOTE]

If Peters is good, then the treasure trove of quality LT's will push good players at other positions down in the draft. That would be good for us.

Lee-83
10-25-2006, 08:06 AM
great moves!

Saratoga Slim
10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm not so sure I like them. Peters was solid at RT and starting to develop into a quality player, particularly on pass blocking. Now we're moving him yet again? And filling his spot with a rookie? And moving a mediocre tackle inside to guard didn't exactly yield positive results last season with Mike Williams, so what makes them think it will work now?

Ok, all that being said, it has to be done. This season is pretty much shot. If we can turn Peters into a quality LT and if Pennington turns out to be worth a damn, it eliminates the offensive tackle position as one of our biggest off-season needs. And for all Gandy's faults, he's not a big fat overpaid lazy piece of **** like Mike Williams. It may actually work for him.

And, now we have Tutan Reyes riding the pine, which means Villarial can be benched at any time (and probably will be sooner rather than later).

Conclusion: it's a bit of a desperation move and it may not work. But we have nothing to lose at this point, and if it does happen to work (or at least work better than what we were doing), it will help us tremendously in the off-season and next year.

I absolutely agree with your conclusion. A few minor points along the way:

a. Peters is developing into a solid RT, but they were playing him at LT all last year until it became obvious that Mike Williams needed to be replaced. If he's a great pass blocker because of his amazing athleticism, LT seems to be a more natural fit for him.

b. Mike Gandy is a mediocre tackle. But he was a mediocre gaurd before he got the chance to be mediocre at tackle. So basically Gandy gets to go be mediocre in another position in which he's already experienced at being mediocre.

c. Reyes is good depth, but he's not much of an asset as a starter. He'll be nice to have on the bench.

Thus, I think Peters will be an improvement at LT very quickly. And I can't imagine there will be much change in quality of play at LG. Center and RG are staying the same, for better or for worse.

The one major question mark that I have is Pennington. I hope to God that he can handle it. But I guess, like you said, we're not winning anyway so might as well see what we have there so as to be in a better position to evaluate offseason OL needs.

It would indeed be an outstanding development if Peters and Pennington look good at LT and RT. It would greatly expand our FA and draft flexibility to not have to address the tackle position.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 09:26 AM
This topic has been a breath of fresh air. Anyways, I do think its Jaurons plan to get Merz some playing time. Merz doesnt get bossed around like Reyes does, which makes him a better pass blocker for sure. You think with that extra weight he has the potential to be a better run blocker too. Pennington and Merz, I got good feelings about the two of them.

jamze132
10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
And Hitler said it was a good idea to persecute Jews.

it doesn't matter what an anouncer thinks we can do with our O-line

bigbub2352
10-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I do have to give DJ credit for at least one thing he knows were the problem is and different fom coaches in the past is not afraid to make moves to try and better his team, starting Terrance Pennington is a scary move only because he is a 7th rounder, but if he is showing the kinda potential that he is considered a starter then let the kid develop and see what we got, we are not going to the playoffs so hopefully this will shore up another spot that we dont have to draft or sign via FA, keep that money for the DLine and maybe an interior guy, i think Gandy will really be a lot better inside, that is his natural position, we will see

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
I do have to give DJ credit for at least one thing he knows were the problem is and different fom coaches in the past is not afraid to make moves to try and better his team, starting Terrance Pennington is a scary move only because he is a 7th rounder, but if he is showing the kinda potential that he is considered a starter then let the kid develop and see what we got, we are not going to the playoffs so hopefully this will shore up another spot that we dont have to draft or sign via FA, keep that money for the DLine and maybe an interior guy, i think Gandy will really be a lot better inside, that is his natural position, we will see
Yes, its nice to see a Coach who addresses the OL for once and the DL. He got a DT in the first round last year, maybe he can get an extra G or RT in the 2nd round or something this year. Nothing wrong with bolstering our line even more.

bigbub2352
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Letting Aaron Merz and Terrance Pennington get on the feild now is huge for there devlopment, cant understand why Brad Butler hasnt seen the feild yet, but this is how u make depth

Saratoga Slim
10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Letting Aaron Merz and Terrance Pennington get on the feild now is huge for there devlopment, cant understand why Brad Butler hasnt seen the feild yet, but this is how u make depth

Yes. even if Pennington does not prove that he can be a starter and we have to bring in a RT during the offseason, it's great to have cheap backups with experience.

Brad Butler hasn't been on the field b/c Jason Peters has had RT locked down. Now that he's moving across the way, there's room for EITHER Pennington or Butler. Apparently Pennington looks better to the coaching staff at this point.