PDA

View Full Version : The Big picture

ghz in pittsburgh
10-25-2006, 05:48 AM
Overall, I have to say this is to be expected for our beloved Bills at this stage. I want to remember folks that this is a new front office, a new coaching staff, a new offensive scheme, and a new defensive scheme, and a flood of new personnel on this team. Jauron said he wished he had another month of training camp and pre-season at the start of the season. And you see why now.

The 2-2 start surprised many of us. But in the big picture, it's not such a surprise. When you install new offense and defense, quite often there are such surprises because other teams have not seen your flavor of O and D before and get caught. Now teams pretty much have seen all our stuff and start to exploit our weakness that consistently shows up in previous games. To Jauron and co., they, too, have a much better grip on who can do what in the new schemes. They may do some changes, like the O-Line shuffle, but realistically, their hands are tied with the deck they are dealt. They can try to put people they think can do their best in such positions, but the best improvement may come from players who gets used to the new system and improve.

I actually think the run defense has improved as the players learn how to stop run in this defense, but the inexperience of our safeties/corners (in cover 2) has shown up in pass defense. The best hope for improvement is for players to improve themselves there. On offense, we never really see the big play ability ever materialize so far. A comibination of QB, O-Line, and WRs problems keeps popping up every game. If it's up to me, I think we need to change the thinking a bit because keep looking for big plays will result more sacks, fumbles and INTs. We seems capable to move the ball, let's just move the ball and be conservative about it instead of looking for that big kill all the time.

YardRat
10-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Turnovers will kill any team, and it doesn't matter whether you're rebuilding, a contender, or defending the title.