PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Pennington

xXSpIkes5IXx
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Im interested to see what this guy can do. Management obviously thinks highly of him, because they benched Reyes, and Butler is listed as the backup RT, and was a higher draft pick. It would be really nice to find another diamond in the rough offensive lineman like Peters. It would be really nice to have two young building block OT's to build our interior line around.

JJamezz
10-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I gotta say, I'm more than a little surprised that its not Butler they're putting in there.. Only thing I can think is that they love his size.

I agree with the changes with the exception of leaving Villariel in there - that right side could get real ugly REAL fast with him and a green as grass Pennington in there..

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Does anyone have a BIO on Pennington? I don't know anything about him.

Night Train
10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Pennington was one of those sleeper picks that a few draft guides mentioned, prior to the draft. He has such a freakish build with a huge wingspan but played in a small program. Was rated higher than Butler by most services but Butler ( Virginia ) started many games at RT. Many scouts saw him play, while scouting the Jets Ferguson.

I'll give him a chance. He'll struggle with many moves at first but has the long arms to save himself until he gets more experience and learns. Supposedly has good feet. Not a bad gamble at all. We have little to lose and lots to gain if he turns out OK.

justasportsfan
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.billsdaily.com/news/archives/2006/apr4.shtml

Pennington Comfortable In Two Spots: Terrence Pennington joined the media on a conference call after being drafted by the Bills in the 7th round. He said he's done a good job keeping his weight down the last two years, this was a problem early in his college career. He feels really good playing at 320 lbs. He is comfortable and used to playing at both tackle positions. He did that a lot at New Mexico wherever the Bills want him to play, he'll be ready to go. He said being smart is very important at offensive tackle and the fact that his father has taught him discipline helps him out a lot.

Pennington Could Play Left Tackle: Scout Terry Wooden said he likes Terrence Pennington's size and his very long arms. He looks like an offensive tackle and has a lot of upside. He has played both left and right tackle. Wooden feels with his long arms and good footwork he could possibly play left tackle in the NFL. He's very strong and is everything you look for when you envision an offensive tackle. He has room to grow physically and mentally, they feel he can gain more strength and size to his lower body.

jamze132
10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
This is the perfect time to see what we've got on the roster before Levy and Co. clear house in Febuary.

Saratoga Slim
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Here's hoping. If Pennington shines, our starting tackles will be an undrafted free agent and a 7th round pick. Awesome. and much cheaper than drafting one high or signing a FA.

If Peters can continue to develop at LT like he has been at RT, his 3M a year contract extension that they worked out this summer is very reasonable.

GFLuNEEDit
10-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Im interested to see what this guy can do. Management obviously thinks highly of him, because they benched Reyes, and Butler is listed as the backup RT, and was a higher draft pick. It would be really nice to find another diamond in the rough offensive lineman like Peters. It would be really nice to have two young building block OT's to build our interior line around.

Joe D said in the preseason that Pennington looks like an NFL player.

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Joe D said in the preseason that Pennington looks like an NFL player.
You sure lick Joe D's balls don't you....

Devin
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I think its a good move, although i wouldnt mind seeing merz in at rg.

GFLuNEEDit
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
You sure lick Joe D's balls don't you....

no i thought thats what i was told you were doing to thurm

only i was told it was thurm's ****

they told me that you call thurm's **** thaturmanator

TigerJ
10-25-2006, 07:04 PM
I think its a good move, although i wouldnt mind seeing merz in at rg.Merz at RG or Pennington at RT. I wouldn't want to see both, two rookies lining up next to each other. This is probably better because Peters is still a youngster. Mentally, Jason Peters is not going to be able the help Merz that much if he stayed at RT and Merz came in at RG. Villarrial may be falling appart, but his experience should be valuable to Pennington as he tries to learn the ropes.

HHURRICANE
10-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Merz at RG or Pennington at RT. I wouldn't want to see both, two rookies lining up next to each other. This is probably better because Peters is still a youngster. Mentally, Jason Peters is not going to be able the help Merz that much if he stayed at RT and Merz came in at RG. Villarrial may be falling appart, but his experience should be valuable to Pennington as he tries to learn the ropes.

Good post. Rome wasn't built in a day. Vincent, I mean Villareal, will be here until the end of the year when we can bring in better talent. If Pennington plays well Marv's draft is going to look all world.

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2006, 07:21 PM
It says a lot for Pennington that the coaches think highly of him. It doesn't say a whole lot for Butler, however.

Devin
10-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah up until this point I had thought Butler was going to be starting RT calibur player. I had heard comparisons to Runyan as well.

Ah well as long as whoever is there plays well I dont care.

patmoran2006
10-25-2006, 07:38 PM
ALL the talk is centered around Pennington and Peters at tackle.
Personally, im VERY interested to see how Gandy looks at Guard..
He's a FA after this season, and if he plays real WELL and we resign him (this is a BIG if-him playing real well) we could have a solid left side of the line.

Reyes and Mertz would compete at RG to take VIllarrial's place, while Preston would back up all three interior positions. If Im not mistaken, Reyes played the right side at Carolina. I'm a little surprised he's out and Villariall's still in, Chris V must be blowing Jauron again.

TigerJ
10-25-2006, 08:58 PM
ALL the talk is centered around Pennington and Peters at tackle.
Personally, im VERY interested to see how Gandy looks at Guard..
He's a FA after this season, and if he plays real WELL and we resign him (this is a BIG if-him playing real well) we could have a solid left side of the line.

Reyes and Mertz would compete at RG to take VIllarrial's place, while Preston would back up all three interior positions. If Im not mistaken, Reyes played the right side at Carolina. I'm a little surprised he's out and Villariall's still in, Chris V must be blowing Jauron again.

That is a very good question. Gandy has answered one of the big questions when he came over from Chicago. Can he stay healthy? It's still possible that with continued good health, he can be a heck of a guard. Stay tuned.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I think Merz will prove to be a gem at RG. Im not sure about Pennington, but I have a good feeling about him. He is big and mean, the only knock I heard is that he played for a small school and caused his stock to drop.

patmoran2006
10-25-2006, 09:03 PM
While its CERTAINLY POSSIBLE, do you really see a STRONG offensive line with a pair of seventh rounders both STARTING on the right side for years to come?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it cant happen.. Its just not very likely.. Personally, if EITHER Merz or Pennington become decent starters, I'd be real happy.. and damn, that would REALLY make this one hell of a draft..

Do you all realize that with Pennington starting that he becomes the SEVENTH ROOKIE to START a game for Buffalo this year? wow

G. Host
10-25-2006, 09:08 PM
http://www.billsdaily.com/news/archives/2006/apr4.shtml

Pennington Comfortable In Two Spots: Terrence Pennington joined the media on a conference call after being drafted by the Bills in the 7th round. He said he's done a good job keeping his weight down the last two years, this was a problem early in his college career. He feels really good playing at 320 lbs. He is comfortable and used to playing at both tackle positions. He did that a lot at New Mexico wherever the Bills want him to play, he'll be ready to go. He said being smart is very important at offensive tackle and the fact that his father has taught him discipline helps him out a lot.

Obviously important but not a requirement since Peters is starting.

G. Host
10-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Do you all realize that with Pennington starting that he becomes the SEVENTH ROOKIE to START a game for Buffalo this year? wow

8th if you count Losman as some appear to do since he did not play a "whole season".

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
While its CERTAINLY POSSIBLE, do you really see a STRONG offensive line with a pair of seventh rounders both STARTING on the right side for years to come?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it cant happen.. Its just not very likely.. Personally, if EITHER Merz or Pennington become decent starters, I'd be real happy.. and damn, that would REALLY make this one hell of a draft..

Good teams dont have 1st rounders at every position, let me just say that.

Lee-83
10-25-2006, 09:56 PM
look at how many other teams have rookies starting on the o-line that weren't 1st rounders (New England, Cincinatti)

BidsJr
10-25-2006, 10:02 PM

This is dumb and grotesk. I would seek counseling if I were you.

Bmax
10-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Butler's problem was his weight.... at 292...The bills feel he needs more size to be effective..Plus he had that shoulder injury which slowed him down. I got a chance to watch pennington this pre season and i was pleasantly surprised. Even though he played against 3rd and 4th teamers.

It wil be interesting to see if both peters and pennington work out.. If they do then we would just have to find a couple of guards in rds 2 -5..

Bmax

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 04:55 AM

My position with players has always been this. If you are good enough, you are old enough and experienced enough. I have no problem with Merz and Pennington, holding down the right side if they show sufficient talent. At one point, Green Bay had Mark Taushcer and another lower round pick and the right side did ok.

I am concerned about both of them starting together initially though and although I don't like Villarial, am happy for him or Reyes to bring Pennington along. If Terrance does ok and no more, I am sure this has motivated Butler to add some weight. Reading more about Merz he seems to be a very intelligent kid who just gets the job done, and this lack of flash made him overlooked.

What this does prove is that we have a management team who are in many regards excellent talent evaluators of college kids. Even the one possible pick that is being questioned in terms of production, John McCargo, was beginning to get up to speed and turn the corner and I am sure he'll be back stronger and better next season.

I am confident we will be welcoming at least 6 good rookies to the Ralph Wilson come the draft 2007 and maybe a couple of OFA as well who will make the team

THATHURMANATOR
10-26-2006, 07:48 AM

Good One! :ill:

TigerJ
10-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Good teams dont have 1st rounders at every position, let me just say that.

This is certainly true, but Pat does have a point. Many teams make a point of building from the LOS out. Put quality people on the line and it makes everything easier. Buffalo has built its line completely from low to mid range draft choices and "value" free agents. That simply means in order to have a really solid line they either have to be smarter than everyone else or very lucky. Buffalo did have one first rounder in the last decade who was a bust, but I think they need to start investing some first day picks in some solid offensive linemen, unless it becomes evident by the end of the season they really are lucky and hit home runs with their low round draft choices in the last draft.