PDA

View Full Version : Cheapness on the OL

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 10:04 AM
I've read a great deal recently about how good it is that we seem to have got away lightly on not paying too much for our OL.

I also think that before the bye week, we possibly had one of the worse OL in the game, right down there with the Dolphins, Raiders and Cardinals.

I do hope that the situation gets better.

However I have done a little research on the current NFL rosters and the current Buffalo Bills are the only team that does not have a single player, either drafted by our selves or anybody else who was picked before Round 3.

I recall the great OLines of the SuperBowl era with Wilford on the left, and then his replacement by the Fina/Brown left side which kept us competitive. All Round 1 picks I hasten to add, and I cannot help to think that such quality presence helps bring along talent drafted lower.

Whilst there is no guarantee a top pick will succeed and that it is always possible to draft or pick up a diamond in the rough, I think our overall 'cheapness' in addressing this position, has led to our overall demise. Yes it can be stated that we signed Mike Williams who was a flop, but that should not prevent us from going after another top OL with our early picks as I am certain that Levy/Jauron who looked at work ethic and character with far more dilligence and rigour than Donahoe.

Irrespective of how Peters adapts, a Round 1 or 2 pick must be used on a top OL player

Dr. Lecter
10-26-2006, 10:10 AM
In the last ten years the Bills have drafted 3 O-lineman in the top 3 rounds. They also have two TE's inthe top 3 rounds in that time.

This was a discussion at the recent Zone Lunch. Hopefully Marv does not repeat TD's errors on the line.

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I know they drafted Mike Williams, and it also Jonas Jennings as a supplemental 3rd in 2001 and Robert Hicks in the 3rd in 1998.

Since we drafted Ruben Brown in 1995 we have drafted 1x Round 1 and 2xRound 3 players on Day 1 of the draft in the last 11 years

That is nothing short of a footballing disgrace of immeasurable proportions.

WE HAVE GOT THE CRAPPY OFFENSIVE LINE WE DESERVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I think MIke Gandy was a 3rd round pick for Chicago, but other than that we try to plug in alot of castoffs from other teams and UDFA as depth not good

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Looking at all the other teams they all have at least a Round 2 selection

Our highest are two Round 3 guys Gandy and Fowler. For me it says it all

In 11 years we have drafted one OL in the top 2 rounds.

Disgraceful

OpIv37
10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Are you suggesting that a starting OL made up of cheap FA's who were backups for other teams doesn't cut it the NFL? Please, don't be ridiculous.

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 02:40 PM
The Pats have 1 FA and 4 draft picks
The Steelers have 1 FA who was a Round 1 selection and 4 picks Rounds 1-4
The Broncos have 4 draft picks including a Round 1 plus an OFA
The Colts have 3 draft picks including a Round 1 and both of their OFA have been with them most of their careers

We would kill for any of the above lines

We have

Gandy cut by the Bears
Reyes not resigned by the Panthers
Peters an OFA
Fowler due to be a backup behind Birk and not resigned
Villarial who was the only one who he had to pursue

and now Pennington a 7th rounder ... and a step in the right direction

Please Please Please tell me how if a selection of cheap FAs and other peoples backups can play so poorly how I can be ridiculous in saying we should start making decent OL draft picks and build our own line internally?

Signing cheap FAs and backups is clearly not the way to build an OL

Mr. Miyagi
10-26-2006, 02:47 PM
No need to panic. Marv and Dick firmly believe in building the team from the inside out. They drafted defense this year. Next year will be offense. I know this in my heart.

Cntrygal
10-29-2006, 06:36 PM
No need to panic. Marv and Dick firmly believe in building the team from the inside out. They drafted defense this year. Next year will be offense. I know this in my heart.

:pray: