PDA

View Full Version : Gandys move could make or break career in NFL!

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Mike Gandy is in a very sticky siuation, because he failed at LT here and in Chicago he wouldnt even be signed by another team to play that position asa starter, Guard is were he played at Notre Dame, and was drafted as a G, but played LT do to injuries and shuffling on the line

If he shows he is capable at Guard it will show that he can play in the NFL, if he fails here he might be out of football for good, unless someone picks him up ofr depth because he is a FA at the end of the year but he will only be 28 next year

If he suceeds and shows the Bills brass he can solidify that spot will they give him an EXT on his contract or look else were, is he only a stop gap for the rest of the year, I guess it all depends on seeing if he is capable of this switch at midseason it is very hard to get comfortable

Remeber after Chicago cut him he sat out the rest of the year and was not signed until FEB-March by us, that means all the teams in the NFL passed up a 26 yr old LT with exp at both T and G, then he comes here and ****s the bed at LT, so he only has G left good luck sir!

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
He wasn't good enough to be a G in Chicago and he's shown he can't be a LT here.

I'm not even sure if the CFL will take up.

Fortunately we have sufficiently overpaid him to soften the blow

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Another Bargain deal from the flea market, at least Tutan reyes was a starter but he is on the bench now, hmmm we need some serious upgrading for depth and starters

Jeff1220
10-26-2006, 10:45 AM
The past few weeks Gandy has been absolutely horrible. Other than that, I think he has been rather inconsequential since taking over the LT role. To me, that's not that bad considering the Bills did pick him up after he was cut and overlooked for the rrest of that season. This move might've had more to do with strngthing the internal part of the line that it does the T position. Last year, nobody really got on Gandy's case much because he was quietly solid. This change, to his natural position, might be a good one.

Night Train
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I realize some here wish to cut 30-35 players but we need backup players also. I don't really care what Gandys' salary is.
Marcus Price made a good buck to backup at both T and G. I never heard anyone asking to cut him, while he was healthy. We needed him quite often for a few years.

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I agree and hope 100% that he works out at G, i thought they should have put Peters at LT to begin with, and let him take his licks, but if G dont work for Gandy maybe selling cars will

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree and hope 100% that he works out at G, i thought they should have put Peters at LT to begin with, and let him take his licks, but if G dont work for Gandy maybe selling cars will

Every line in the league bar ours has an early or mid Day1 pick lined up for them.

even the great Alex Gibbs couldn't continue to work miracles without asking for some quality

let us not forget the moment the Broncos line came good was when they signed Gary Zimmerman.

Zimmerman cost the Broncos a No1 in 1994 and in 1995. He himself was drafted as a No1 by the Giants in 1984 supp draft and his rights were taken for 2 Round 2 picks by the Vikings

I think there's a trend here. If you aren't prepared to draft high and sign talent accepting there will be an occasional miss, you'll always have a piss poor line.

Since Ruben Brown, we have drafted one player in the first 2 rounds - thats over 11 years. Despite Williams being a bust, we are in our current position by drafting stupidly and if we again miss out on quality OL men at the top of the 2007 draft then by the time we next get to the playoffs the team will be the LA Bills !!!

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Gandy's career is not in jeopardy. He was orginally a guard here, and he did pretty well at LT untill this year. Gandy is probably our 2nd best lineman behind Jason Peters.

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Gandy's career is not in jeopardy. He was orginally a guard here, and he did pretty well at LT untill this year. Gandy is probably our 2nd best lineman behind Jason Peters.

Sadly thats more a reflection of how bad the line has actually been rather than an endorsement of Gandy

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Gandy has only been here 2 years, and was a lucky signing by us, most thought when we first signed him that he might not even make the team until Mike Williams became a fat ****ing bust, Gandy is a bum at LT, but hopefully can show why he was drafted in the 3rd round as a guard, he is not stupid, so he should make the transition he is just needs to be effective, stop those bull rushers and we could have the makings of a very strong left side, again aolt of ifs, and also if he doesnt pan out i can't see anyone taking another chance on him

HHURRICANE
10-26-2006, 12:33 PM

Huh?? I think Fowler has looked pretty solid!! I'm tired of adequate. The line had better be:

Peters, X, Fowler, X, X

X represnting somebody that plays better than what we got now!!

HHURRICANE
10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Gandy has only been here 2 years, and was a lucky signing by us, most thought when we first signed him that he might not even make the team until Mike Williams became a fat ****ing bust, Gandy is a bum at LT, but hopefully can show why he was drafted in the 3rd round as a guard, he is not stupid, so he should make the transition he is just needs to be effective, stop those bull rushers and we could have the makings of a very strong left side, again aolt of ifs, and also if he doesnt pan out i can't see anyone taking another chance on him

bigbub2352 = Mike Gandy:rrich:

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 12:43 PM

I bet the Bears had hoped to see why they drafted him in the 3rd round at guard

He didn't so was cut.

I don't mind picking up quality Free Agents but why do we tolerate signing flotsam?

Saratoga Slim
10-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I realize some here wish to cut 30-35 players but we need backup players also. I don't really care what Gandys' salary is.
Marcus Price made a good buck to backup at both T and G. I never heard anyone asking to cut him, while he was healthy. We needed him quite often for a few years.

Gandy would be an excellent backup both at T and G. He's been an adequate starter until recently.

Also, you're right. like it or not, we're not cutting 30-35 players. We may lose some in FA, but I sincerely doubt that there will be the kind of turnover we saw last year.

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Do we think that we are going to be happy to continue to pay Gandy $2.5m per season when he is clearly not up to the task?

That is an awful lot to continue to pay for a backup

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 02:01 PM
i agree 100%, your depth will come from this years draft class and maybe a guy or two from the PS, Brad Butler, Aaron Merz. Terrance Pennington, Duke PReston,

G. Host
10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
bigbub2352 = Mike Gandy:rrich:

bigbub2352 < Mike Williams

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Only, if the NFL were like Madden football. I dont think Gandy is as bad as some peoples implications. He has a couple bad games at LT this year and everyone is jumping ship on him. He is not a good LT, I will give you that. But he didnt do bad for not playing at his natural position. He is a fine guard. I would rather keep Gandy over Villarial, thats for sure.

Typ0
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I can see this whole experiment failing miserably and all of these guys looking like crap...at least in the eyes of the fans or media. Who knows what the coaching staff is looking for...

TigerJ
10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree. If Gandy isn't at least moderately impressive as a guard, he's no longer going to start for the Bills after this season, and will likely ride off into the sunset of obscurity.

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Gandy isnt a backup. He filled in last year at LT very well, 2.5$ mil isnt a large price to ask. Give him a chance at guard, you may just find that you like him. Gandy wont get *****ed around, he had trouble with the speed rushers, and he wont face that as much at G.

Tatonka
10-27-2006, 12:25 AM
He wasn't good enough to be a G in Chicago and he's shown he can't be a LT here.

pretty much what he said

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Gandy isnt a backup. He filled in last year at LT very well, 2.5$ mil isnt a large price to ask. Give him a chance at guard, you may just find that you like him. Gandy wont get *****ed around, he had trouble with the speed rushers, and he wont face that as much at G.

The only skill that Gandy has shown is the ability to extract large amounts of cash while masquerading as a starting OL, generally taking the pi**s

These are slightly weird figures from MSN FOXSPORTS but I think they are based on base salary for last season

Mike Gandy, base salary 2005, $1.4 million
Eric Steinbach, $384,000

Hands up every one who would prefer Mike Gandy starting at left guard ahead of someone like Eric Steinbach ..... now don't all rush !!

Gandy is obscenely overpaid for the contribution he makes. He is an example of poor personnel descisions added with excessive overpaying which has left this franchise in such a mess.

No wonder Ralph appears tight if he sees his money squandered in such a manner.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Quit ****ing comparing Steinbach to Gandy. Your neglecting the fact that Steinbach is going to get a 'Hutchinson' size contract through FA. You actually said that in another post talking about the big $$ Steinbach will get, then you go ahead and compare his rookie base salary to Gandy's salary. Thats messed up.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Quit ****ing comparing Steinbach to Gandy. Your neglecting the fact that Steinbach is going to get a 'Hutchinson' size contract through FA. You actually said that in another post talking about the big $$ Steinbach will get, then you go ahead and compare his rookie base salary to Gandy's salary. Thats messed up.

You pay a player based on their performance. If you are lucky you get them below market price. If you bright you pay market rate. If you are stupid you over pay.

If we paid everybody Gandy's salary we'd be way over the cap. On the line he's been worse than Fowler, worse than Peters, no better than Reyes better than Villarial.

The average per players on a 53man roster with a cap around $109m means each player should average $2.05m.

Therefore are we paying Gandy more than average for playing above average? Sorry I missed when that happened.

I have seen him let Losman flattened on numerous occasions though

HHURRICANE
10-27-2006, 01:22 PM

I don't think Gandy is overpaid. There is a business motto that I use all of the time: "Pay them more than they are worth and make them worth more than you pay them." Hutchinson looks a steal for the Vikings. He's the best OL in the game period.

If Steinbach was available I'd pay to get him here!!

Jeff1220
10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
:scratch: When does he come available?

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 01:43 PM
:scratch: When does he come available?

He's UFA at the end of the season.

It is possible that they, the Bengals, will franchise him but they have already piled a lot of $ into the line signing Levi Jones, Bobby Williams and Willie Anderson.

He apparently has been looking at $5-7m per season, but he could go for $4m a season especially if the deal is front loaded - low base salary, big bonus.

There are others such as Black, Manuwai, Womack and Dockery up as FreeAgents. Whether they offer more than Gandy is unknown. It is possible that one or two of them play for less.

I have been told that Gandy is in his contract year ... if we can sign him for no more than the cap average then YES WE SHOULD RESIGN HIM. However I am not sure if he would take a Pay cut

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Well its obvious I would rather have Steinbach over Gandy for 400k. But that isnt going to happen, he is going to get a HUGE contract. So do make sure you include that in your next post. Its all about position too. So first Gandy was horrible and overpaid, now he is average and overpaid. Gandy is a good LG, and an average LT for the most part. You forget how well he filled in last year. Also, he is versatile. That is worth that 500k Gandy is being "overpaid". I wont sweat it over 500k, especially not over one of our better OL men. You are also failing to mention were around 11$mil under the cap. That 500k is really going to hurt us when we want to sign another OL FA.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Well its obvious I would rather have Steinbach over Gandy for 400k. But that isnt going to happen, he is going to get a HUGE contract. So do make sure you include that in your next post. Its all about position too. So first Gandy was horrible and overpaid, now he is average and overpaid. Gandy is a good LG, and an average LT for the most part. You forget how well he filled in last year. Also, he is versatile. That is worth that 500k Gandy is being "overpaid". I wont sweat it over 500k, especially not over one of our better OL men. You are also failing to mention were around 11$mil under the cap. That 500k is really going to hurt us when we want to sign another OL FA.

Unfortunately Buffalo Fever, overpaying becomes a habit. It is obvious that we won't get Steinbach for $400K. I was using that as an extreme of example of the Bills not getting the bang for their bucks.

I dispute the idea that he has been one of our better OL players. After Peters, Fowler has quietly come up against some of the better DTs and generally held his ground and having seen some of the games Reyes has played, he hasn't been that bad. I am actually surprised that Gandy got in ahead of him and wonder if a nagging shoulder injury is the reason for this.

But even the small amounts add up ... $500k is the amount we cannot spend elsewhere and whilst we are considerably under the cap, there will come a time where the overpaying for underperformance will come back to haunt this franchise.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately Buffalo Fever, overpaying becomes a habit. It is obvious that we won't get Steinbach for $400K. I was using that as an extreme of example of the Bills not getting the bang for their bucks.

I dispute the idea that he has been one of our better OL players. After Peters, Fowler has quietly come up against some of the better DTs and generally held his ground and having seen some of the games Reyes has played, he hasn't been that bad. I am actually surprised that Gandy got in ahead of him and wonder if a nagging shoulder injury is the reason for this.

But even the small amounts add up ... $500k is the amount we cannot spend elsewhere and whilst we are considerably under the cap, there will come a time where the overpaying for underperformance will come back to haunt this franchise.
Reyes stinks. He is gone unless he wants to become a backup. He gets pushed around too much. As far as Fowler goes, he has some serious issues snapping the football. Alot, of fumbles have occured right off the bat from bad snaps. Peters, Gandy and Fowler. Those are my top dogs. We need to keep those guys and build off of them. If Peters can succeed at LT, we can find a RT easily.

Now as far as the cap goes. I am not going to gripe over 500k, Im not sure why you are. However, I will gripe over the fact our backup QB's are getting paid better than our starting QB, and that TKO is getting paid 5.5$m even though he has started 2 games. I will also gripe over the fact that Peerless Price is getting paid good money, even though he has only had one good play. Josh Reed is another reciever being paid well, and he hasnt done squat. We need to get rid of these bums, over one of our better linemen.

HHURRICANE
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM

He's a good LG?????????????? Where? Can I have your crystal ball becuse I have some games to pick over the next few weeks. I can't say that Peters is a good LT yet? I think this is Gandy's last shot at staying in the NFL let alone LG!!

HHURRICANE
10-27-2006, 03:03 PM

Why can't we sign Steinbach?? Now will we is another question. There is nothing that would prevent us from doing this unless Wilson/Levy keep wanting to lose by not paying for the players we need.

jamze132
10-27-2006, 05:00 PM

Get your facts straight....

I am in no way endorsing the guy, but he was moved to LT in Chicago due to injury problems over there. He was then signed by us to play LG, but when Jennings took off, he was to be a stopgap.

Now he will be going back to his natural position where he was drafted by Jauron to begin with.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Get your facts straight....

I am in no way endorsing the guy, but he was moved to LT in Chicago due to injury problems over there. He was then signed by us to play LG, but when Jennings took off, he was to be a stopgap.

Now he will be going back to his natural position where he was drafted by Jauron to begin with.

Oh excuse me ... if he was so great a guard in Chicago, why wasn't he moved back there rather than being cut by the Bears?

I am awaiting your educated response .. probably in vain

jamze132
10-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Oh excuse me ... if he was so great a guard in Chicago, why wasn't he moved back there rather than being cut by the Bears?

I am awaiting your educated response .. probably in vain
Wow... tell me who is playing LG for them.... Answer your own quesions

jamze132
10-27-2006, 05:16 PM
I would also like to know where I said he was "so great".

But I will say that he is a better G than T.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Wow... tell me who is playing LG for them.... Answer your own quesions

The Bears signed Ruben Brown to fill the LG position in 2004. Considering how little they had at guard it is very surprising if Gandy had performed that he was cut. He had played in the previous 27 games starting 25.

but he was cut

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
He's a good LG?????????????? Where? Can I have your crystal ball becuse I have some games to pick over the next few weeks. I can't say that Peters is a good LT yet? I think this is Gandy's last shot at staying in the NFL let alone LG!!
Maybe if you would have watched previous games you wouldnt need my "crystal ball" to make a judgement based off of history. You dont need to be a clairvoyant person to understand Gandy has worked out well for us. And Im glad you think this is Gandy's last shot in the NFL, if I am ever undetermined on a subject I will remember to go against what you say, you seem to have an impressive track record of being WRONG.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Why can't we sign Steinbach?? Now will we is another question. There is nothing that would prevent us from doing this unless Wilson/Levy keep wanting to lose by not paying for the players we need.
How about you read my posts. Instead of scimming through them? I said getting rid of Gandy for capspace is ******ed, especially to get rid of Gandy for Steinbach. I pointed out Gandy is not overpaid, and I instead pointed out 5-6 other people on our roster that are blatantly overpaid. I said if we wanted to go after Steinbach, we should get him to replace Villarial. Cutting Gandy over the belief that he is being paid too much is ludacris.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
1- Gandy wasnt overpaid because when he was signed he was penciled in to be our STARTING LEFT TACKLE. Compared to other LT's he was cheap.. Then again, you get what you pay for.

2- I like the move with him to LG and I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him.. You homers bash me left and right for saying we should cut Losman now, then why doesn't Gandy get the benefit of the doubt he will grow into our LG position.

3- He's PROVEN he cant handle LT.. I think he has the size to be an effective guard.

4- WE got nothing to lose.. and IF It works out well, thats one less spot we have to adress in the off-season, cause only God knows how fast Villarrial will be shown the door and there's a good chance we'll have a new starting right side of the line next year.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 06:57 PM
1- Gandy wasnt overpaid because when he was signed he was penciled in to be our STARTING LEFT TACKLE. Compared to other LT's he was cheap.. Then again, you get what you pay for.

2- I like the move with him to LG and I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him.. You homers bash me left and right for saying we should cut Losman now, then why doesn't Gandy get the benefit of the doubt he will grow into our LG position.

3- He's PROVEN he cant handle LT.. I think he has the size to be an effective guard.

4- WE got nothing to lose.. and IF It works out well, thats one less spot we have to adress in the off-season, cause only God knows how fast Villarrial will be shown the door and there's a good chance we'll have a new starting right side of the line next year.

I agree with you Pat, and Im a Losman supporter. Gandy did well enough at LG that they moved him to LT. He does have the size to be an effective. You notice how he only had problems with the speed rushing DE's at LT? He wont get bossed around. As far as him growing into the LG position. I think he can make the transition back quick, seeing as how thats where he was originally supposed to be playing at.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I absolutely refuse to believe that Pennington is the future right now, I think the move is more about getting Peters experience playing the left side for the LONG TERM and starting that now..

But.. IF Gandy really works out well at LG.. Between Reyes, Merz or Preston we may have our future RG, and if that was the case, we'd only need to go out and acquire a strong right tackle.

Of course, IF Gandy works well at guard AND Peters adapts well to the left side.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 07:05 PM
I absolutely refuse to believe that Pennington is the future right now, I think the move is more about getting Peters experience playing the left side for the LONG TERM and starting that now..

But.. IF Gandy really works out well at LG.. Between Reyes, Merz or Preston we may have our future RG, and if that was the case, we'd only need to go out and acquire a strong right tackle.

Of course, IF Gandy works well at guard AND Peters adapts well to the left side.
Once again, Im a Losman supporter and I agree with you 100% again. What is going on here man, hell is going to freeze over! Im not sold on Pennington. Which may be partially due to the fact that I havent seen him play much.
However, I will say I was pleasantly surprised with Merz when I saw him play. We have alot of IF's on our line this year, and we will still most likely have to draft a RT or G on the first day.

jamze132
10-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Peter's is going to the left side finally to see if he can hack it, not to see what Pennington can do on the right side, all though this is his opportunity to shine. Everyone knows that a really good RT is easier to come across than a really good LT. If Peter's can hold down the spot, then it makes life easier for Marv & Co. in the offseason.

I would much rather have the problem of finding a competent RT than a LT.

kernowboy
10-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Peter's is going to the left side finally to see if he can hack it, not to see what Pennington can do on the right side, all though this is his opportunity to shine. Everyone knows that a really good RT is easier to come across than a really good LT. If Peter's can hold down the spot, then it makes life easier for Marv & Co. in the offseason.

I would much rather have the problem of finding a competent RT than a LT.

Again I think the issue is can Peters hack the left? Before spending a pick on a RT I want to see how both Pennington and Butler do as there is a number of teams who have done really well with a Day2 RT.

Yes you do get stunning RTs like Willie Anderson who deserve to go high, but I'm more inclined to still go LT in the draft on Day1. If we pick a LT on Day1, if he has the feet to play the blindside, do we play him on the left in his college position or swap him to the right? Peters has proven he can be a great RT. Most of the top OTs in this years draft are lefties. Only Long, Blaylock and maybe Levi Brown have the extra size to deal with the bulls on the right.

Ideally we draft someone who can play both OT positions. Peters back to the right maybe gives us a great RT, plus a strong emergency LT in case of injuries.

But I agree, we do need to conclusively see if he can really hack the left side

Gandy's contact is up this year. All I am saying is that we should re-sign to a pay level that his OG performance dictates. This however could mean he gets a pay cut and the question is, will he accept it? If we can get a starting guard in FA for $1.5m-$2m do we re-sign Gandy for $2.5m+?