PDA

View Full Version : Why are you guys so hard on Mike Gandy?

Inetpub
10-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Given that you all want to develop JP, Why not also develop Mike? The guy is a physical specimen also. He is strong and can obviously play cause he is in the NFL. He has new coaches and new schemes to learn. Hes really only in his 4th year as 1 year he played 0 games and the other 5.

Let him develop into a quality player and stop slandering your team members. otherwise dont set a double standard and say you want to develop one player and expect the world from the others.

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Gandy is our 2nd best linemen, and he filled in very well at LT, last year. Obviously, it didnt work out well this year, but I admire him for taking one for the team.

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Because he was drafted in the same year as Aaron Schobel and Nate Clements, 2001 I think, has been cut by the Bears, has played poorly for us, and is simply unable to cut it at this level.

Despite having the physical attributes he seems to lack the ability to learn the necessary technique to be a success for the team.

Drafted originally as a guard, he played there for the Bears, then moved to tackle and then was cut.

No other team was interested in signing him so he sat the year out.

At present he is merely a block to us drafting players in his position. He will never be better than mediocre for us. Any player drafted, well they can be no worse, can probably be better. He has only been moved to LG as Reyes is having shoulder problems. I thought Reyes has been better.

And I would say that after Peters, Melvin Fowler has been the 2nd best OL

HHURRICANE
10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Given that you all want to develop JP, Why not also develop Mike? The guy is a physical specimen also. He is strong and can obviously play cause he is in the NFL. He has new coaches and new schemes to learn. Hes really only in his 4th year as 1 year he played 0 games and the other 5.

Let him develop into a quality player and stop slandering your team members. otherwise dont set a double standard and say you want to develop one player and expect the world from the others.

Unlike JP, Gandy has had 3 times as many games to prove himself. I'm tired of mediocre to crappy and vise versa. He better play like a star at Guard because he was horrible at Tackle this year.

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Unfortunatley Gandy landed the second hardest position on the oline, and even though he was average at best last year he still has been awful this year that means other teams have watched film on him and figured out how to get by him, that is not good, there has been No second best lineman next to Jason Peters, our line is awful, not really much in the area of bright spots, this is a make it or break it move for him, Teams in the NfL already know he cant pay tackle lets hope for all bills fan's sakes that he pans out at his original position G

kernowboy
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
For $2.5m a season I expert better than average/adequate

Again if we want a stellar LT you pay him $5-6m per season.

We've been cheap and we have got exactly what we deserve for it

bflojohn
10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Mike Gandy, IMO, is a Marcus Price talent, whereby he can literally back-up numerous spots at OLT, OLG, and ORG. That isn't a jab at him, I think his role needs to be redefined as a member of the Buffalo Bills. If the Bills do their due diligence in the 2007 NFL Draft and completely revamp their O-line, then Gandy can certainly have a roster spot as a bonified back-up. There is nothing, at all, wrong with this type of evaluation when better players are acquired. We will see....

bigbub2352
10-26-2006, 01:59 PM
bflojohn are u inthe colection industry, ha ha that is a term i use in my business all the time due dillagence, anyway i agree, but he is a FA and i doubt will sign here just to be a back up plus that is were your UDFA and Draft picks come in for depth

Saratoga Slim
10-26-2006, 02:15 PM
At present he is merely a block to us drafting players in his position. He will never be better than mediocre for us. Any player drafted, well they can be no worse, can probably be better.

And I would say that after Peters, Melvin Fowler has been the 2nd best OL

Agree that Fowler has played pretty well and is probably our most consistent lineman after peters.

But c'mon, there are a helluva lot of players that we could draft that would play much worse than Gandy. He's no star, and maybe not a starter on a top-quality line, but he has some value to the team, whether it be as a starter now, or depth next year. As depth, it's great to have a guy that can fill in at either G or T.

THATHURMANATOR
10-26-2006, 02:29 PM

This is a joke right?
I am more than willing to give him a chance at guard but he was terrible at LT.

QB is the only position that takes a year or more to tell what you have IMO.

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Lets, get rid of one of our more versatile OL'man. Cool, Im glad you guys arent in the FO. He is not a bad LG, I'm really surprised nobody sees that. People want to axe players with no replacement at times. Keep Gandy, lose Villarial disease, and Reyes. From what I understand this is Gandy's contract year anyways, so you guys may just get your wish. However, I wouldnt be surprised to see him resigned.

theanswer74
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
The worst players on our OL have been LG and RG. Gandy is being moved inside to get our BEST 5 guys on the line.

Our OL cant get a push in the running game. Protection, besides the Detroit game, has been on average, which is about as good as it gets in todays game.

Mahdi
10-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Theres nothing a scheme can do to keep you from getting beat 1 on 1 every week.
Gandy doesnt match up well with the premier pass rushers in the league.

TigerJ
10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I didn't worry too much about Gandy until his poor play stuck out like a sore thumb versus Detroit. I'm willing to wait and see what he can do as guard though.

SquishDaFish
10-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Because hes a turnstile at LT. I hope he does alot better at G.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Lets, get rid of one of our more versatile OL'man. Cool, Im glad you guys arent in the FO. He is not a bad LG, I'm really surprised nobody sees that. People want to axe players with no replacement at times. Keep Gandy, lose Villarial disease, and Reyes. From what I understand this is Gandy's contract year anyways, so you guys may just get your wish. However, I wouldnt be surprised to see him resigned.

Versatile lineman .... yes he's proven that having played at LG, RG, and LT in the league to date, he has been useless in all 3 positions.

Lets try him at RT and C so he can have the full set.

What angers me about Gandy is that I would be happy to have him on the roster if he was counting $500,000, not $2.5million.

Last year his base salary was $1.4m whilst Steinbach got $384,400.

I'm sorry but in terms of play and ability, if there were any justice in the world then those figures above should be reversed. As it is, they look perverse.

djjimkelly
10-27-2006, 11:09 AM
look as a LT he is a POS as a guard or something else im all for it we do need depth even if we sign some quality lineman i wouldnt cut him in case there is an injury to the real players

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 11:27 AM
look as a LT he is a POS as a guard or something else im all for it we do need depth even if we sign some quality lineman i wouldnt cut him in case there is an injury to the real players

I think we can cut him and get a decent back up for $750K

If he wants to take a pay cut great, but we shouldn't be paying him $2.5m

cookie G
10-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Take away the Detroit game, and he's given up 1 or 2 sacks.

The Bills average 6.5 ypc when running over left tackle.

He sucks.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Versatile lineman .... yes he's proven that having played at LG, RG, and LT in the league to date, he has been useless in all 3 positions.

Lets try him at RT and C so he can have the full set.

What angers me about Gandy is that I would be happy to have him on the roster if he was counting $500,000, not $2.5million.

Last year his base salary was $1.4m whilst Steinbach got $384,400.

I'm sorry but in terms of play and ability, if there were any justice in the world then those figures above should be reversed. As it is, they look perverse.
Gandy wasnt useless at LG for us. And he didnt fill in too badly at LT for the most part. And Steinbach is going to get a huge payday, he obviously isnt going to be happy with 400g. So he will be getting paid much more than Gandy ever was. Furthermore, were not signing Gandy for vet minimum, he will get a contract somewhere that isnt a complete rip. I'm not saying he is the best lineman in the world, but he doesnt demand too much. You think you would rather keep Gandy and get rid of Reyes and Villarial. What pisses me off about this whole thing is, is that there are ****tier OL men on our team that nobody is talking about. Instead its Gandy, because of a couple bad games at LT.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Based on his performance, its been at least 5 bad games.

I cannot believe how much we are paying him though. His standard of play has done nothing to deserve $2.5m a season.

As a veteran signing, nobody else was interested in him

He reminds me of a guy at my soccer team in England. He has played for England at full international level. He has decend athleticism and ability. He is paid a pretty good wage. Occasionally he shocks us with an ok performance but usually every single fan is terrified that our first choice players will get hurt as it means he plays. One good performance cannot hide 5 poor ones.

But its not just Gandy, its Price, Reed, Royal, Tripplett. We seem to be paying incredible wages for ridiculously poor performing staff.

do we have a giant sign at the stadium saying 'MUGS'?

We are turning ourselves into the laughing stock of the NFL by overpaying average performers.

At the end of the season, they should cut Gandy and then offer to resign him for a base salary of $800,000, with bonus a max of $1.25m. If he's not interested there are players of his ability who are and the money saved can be spent in other important areas.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Gandy wasnt useless at LG for us. And he didnt fill in too badly at LT for the most part. And Steinbach is going to get a huge payday, he obviously isnt going to be happy with 400g. So he will be getting paid much more than Gandy ever was. Furthermore, were not signing Gandy for vet minimum, he will get a contract somewhere that isnt a complete rip. I'm not saying he is the best lineman in the world, but he doesnt demand too much. You think you would rather keep Gandy and get rid of Reyes and Villarial. What pisses me off about this whole thing is, is that there are ****tier OL men on our team that nobody is talking about. Instead its Gandy, because of a couple bad games at LT.

He was useless at both guard positions in Chicago. He's done nothing to suggest he's improved.

Yes he should be played until the end of the year at LG but in the offseason we absolutely must get better value here, in the draft, in free agency or by cutting Gandy and then resigning him to the level of salary his performance deserves.

At most he's a $1,25m player including bonus.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Your pulling a Donahoe kern. You dont want to spend money on the trenches.
2.5$mil for a guy that did a decent job at LT last year, is CHEAP. That is VERY cheap money for a LT. He was good enough to switch from LG to LT, so where are you getting the info that he sucked from? Furthermore, I have heard you say God how many times, that you think we should dish the money out on our line's, yet you want to be cheap over 2.5$ and you would rather us cut Gandy and sign some one for 750$k, Donahoe is that you?

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Your pulling a Donahoe kern. You dont want to spend money on the trenches.
2.5$mil for a guy that did a decent job at LT last year, is CHEAP. That is VERY cheap money for a LT. He was good enough to switch from LG to LT, so where are you getting the info that he sucked from? Furthermore, I have heard you say God how many times, that you think we should dish the money out on our line's, yet you want to be cheap over 2.5$ and you would rather us cut Gandy and sign some one for 750$k, Donahoe is that you?

But he was only ever an emergency LT and in retrospect his doing OK has hampered the development of Peters.

What I am saying is we should pay players the level of money their play warrants. We have been cheap at LT which is the most important place on the line, when we should have been splashing the cash there.

If I have $7m to spend on the left hand side of the line and a top LT demands $5.5m that means I either spend $1.5m on LG or take the money from elsewhere. On that basis, I'd try to find a decent guard for $1.5m. Gandy could become a good player, but he's had over 50 games trying to achieve this, was cut after 5 games in 2004, nobody resigned him for the rest of the season and Donahoe plugged him in as a mediocre LT at $2.5m when he should been signed to $1.5m instead of Anderson.

And he should have, rather than taken one for team, said I'm not a LT.

It has always surprised me that despite being a serviceable LT in Denver, Teague wasn't moved to LT.

But I am also on record as saying we should have signed Mike Pearson and Jeff Mitchell instead of Fowler and Reyes and moved Gandy to LG at the start of the season so what do I know?

PECKERWOOD
10-28-2006, 07:45 PM
But he was only ever an emergency LT and in retrospect his doing OK has hampered the development of Peters.

What I am saying is we should pay players the level of money their play warrants. We have been cheap at LT which is the most important place on the line, when we should have been splashing the cash there.

If I have $7m to spend on the left hand side of the line and a top LT demands $5.5m that means I either spend $1.5m on LG or take the money from elsewhere. On that basis, I'd try to find a decent guard for $1.5m. Gandy could become a good player, but he's had over 50 games trying to achieve this, was cut after 5 games in 2004, nobody resigned him for the rest of the season and Donahoe plugged him in as a mediocre LT at $2.5m when he should been signed to $1.5m instead of Anderson.

And he should have, rather than taken one for team, said I'm not a LT.

It has always surprised me that despite being a serviceable LT in Denver, Teague wasn't moved to LT.

But I am also on record as saying we should have signed Mike Pearson and Jeff Mitchell instead of Fowler and Reyes and moved Gandy to LG at the start of the season so what do I know?

So you admit he did, OK, at a position he isnt well accustomed to. Secondly, his play at LT didnt hinder Peters development at LT. There is no way we would of thrown Peters in at LT right away, anyways. This is his first year at RT for goodness sake, its still a bit surprising we are throwing Gandy in there now. Lastly, if Gandy didnt perform well at LT, it would have hindered Losman's growth more than it already has.

$2.5m is very cheap for a LT that does, OK. If it werent for that money, JP Losman would probably be dead right now. ;)
I'm not going to say Gandy will be here next season. I am just trying to point out that, he has been one of our better OL since his arrival, and he filled in admirably at LT.