• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

I wonder...

What the single most productive draft for any team ever was.

Not necessarily which produced the most stars, just in any given draft (the average is what 7 picks?) how many of those turned into starting players for their team.

Levy's 1st draft:

1. Donte Whitner - Starting
    1. John McCargo - Rotational
    3. Ashton Youboty - Bench
    4. Ko Simpson - Starting
    5. Kyle Williams - Starting
    5. Brad Butler - Backup
    6. Aaron Merz - Backup
    7. Terrence Pennington - Starting

Youboty wont be a starter this season, or mayebe even next but at some point he could be. As could Merz.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by Devin

Not necessarily which produced the most stars, just in any given draft (the average is what 7 picks?) how many of those turned into starting players for their team.

Levy's 1st draft:

4. Ko Simpson - Starting
    5. Brad Butler - Backup
    6. Aaron Merz - Backup

Youboty wont be a starter this season, or mayebe even next but at some point he could be. As could Merz.
    Taking the wet blanket role...Our team sucks so badly its not suprising we are starting rookies

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Levy's 1st draft:

4. Ko Simpson - Starting
      5. Brad Butler - Backup
      6. Aaron Merz - Backup

Gotta long way to go to measure up to this:

Without question, the best draft in the history of the NFL was the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers draft. In the first round, they grabbed Lynn Swann. In round two, they took Jack Lambert. In Round three they selected John Stallworth. IN round give, they got Mike Webster.. That's f'n sick.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

For the Bills, probably 1987, but there are several good drafts...

1973:
        DeLamiellure
        Seymore
        Ferguson
        Francis
        Yeates
        Skourpan
        Krakau

1976:
        Clark
        Jones
        Devlin
        Williams
        Moody

1979:
        Smerlas
        Butler
        Haslett
        Nixon
        Kush
        Not to mention Cousineau, which eventually got us Kelly

1987:
        Conlan
        Odomes
        Mitchell
        Mueller
        Seals
        McKeller
        Ballard

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

I think a lot of this depends on how the guys work together. It's very important for a team to keep a coaching staff and system in place and then build that system through the draft. Because of this, if you draft well you're going to get guys who can work well together if you have a good big picture view of how the team and system will work. Those same players might not work out at all on another squad but become solid players or even probowlers on yours.

Jan, I agree with you I hope JP Losman works out. I haven't seen a lot of improvement though. He's always had shades of doing some things well...maybe he's doing that a little more often now. But like you began to say, I don't see a lot of improvement in his mental game and that's his glaring weakness IMO. He also needs to protect the football better and if anything he's going backwards in that area. I hope he gets these things straightened out but the season is half over and looking at his whole season is just going to render the sum of it's parts...and the parts aren't looking too good right now.

I don't think Green Bay is a pushover either.

Comment

Levy's 1st draft:

4. Ko Simpson - Starting
            5. Brad Butler - Backup
            6. Aaron Merz - Backup

Its actually better than that

6. Kevin Ellison - backup who has started and done well at WLB
            7a. Pennington - about to start
            7b. Merz - a backup who did ok in his first start

Butler and Youboty have not yet been given an opportunity

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

my bad, was doing it off the top of my head.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Gotta long way to go to measure up to this:

Without question, the best draft in the history of the NFL was the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers draft. In the first round, they grabbed Lynn Swann. In round two, they took Jack Lambert. In Round three they selected John Stallworth. IN round give, they got Mike Webster.. That's f'n sick.
                Not to be picky, but Stallworth was a fourth rounder.

Four HOFers in one draft is pretty special.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

In terms of quality it was the best since 2001, Donahoe's first draft. Its a pity he didn't keep up to this standard

R1 Nate Clements
                  R2a Aaron Schobel
                  R2b Travis Henry
                  R3a Ron Edwards
                  R3b Jonas Jennings
                  R4 Brandon Spoon - started when Cowart went down
                  R5 Marques Sullivan, became a starting LG, did ok I thought
                  R6a Tony Driver .... didn't he start?
                  R6b Dan O'Leary
                  R6c Jimmy Williams
                  R7a Reggie Germany
                  R7b Tyrone Robertson

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                    • Jun 2005

87 was def our best

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Seemed like Donahoe liked to stack draft picks.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                        I think a lot of this depends on how the guys work together. It's very important for a team to keep a coaching staff and system in place and then build that system through the draft. Because of this, if you draft well you're going to get guys who can work well together if you have a good big picture view of how the team and system will work. Those same players might not work out at all on another squad but become solid players or even probowlers on yours.

Jan, I agree with you I hope JP Losman works out. I haven't seen a lot of improvement though. He's always had shades of doing some things well...maybe he's doing that a little more often now. But like you began to say, I don't see a lot of improvement in his mental game and that's his glaring weakness IMO. He also needs to protect the football better and if anything he's going backwards in that area. I hope he gets these things straightened out but the season is half over and looking at his whole season is just going to render the sum of it's parts...and the parts aren't looking too good right now.

I don't think Green Bay is a pushover either.
                        any chance I can move this post onto the right thread? I wondered where it went.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                          • Aug 2004

Just because we have a few players starting doesn't mean their gonna be great or that this was a great draft.

When you have 3 rookies starting it's not a good sign. They are starting because our team sucks and their are no other options along with just being played to try and gain experience.

During our 3-13 team a few years back we had plenty of rookies starting too. We had Jennings, Schobel, Henry, Sullivan and Clements all starting. We also had Spoon who started a lot of games. Ron Edwards also got a lot of playing time. They were all starting because our team was terrible.

The next year we had Williams, Reed and Denney all starting or getting tons of playing time. MIKE PUCILLIO was a starter for a while. Then Wire and Bannan got tons of playing time as rookies and were starters later in the season or the season after. Was that a good draft?

The draft class hasn't really done much yet. Simpson has gotten burnt tons of times. Williams has been a non-factor. McCargo didn't do crap the entire 5 games he lasted. Pennington is getting his first start out of desperation.

These guys are playing because our team sucks and we have a new coaching staff who wants these guys to try and learn and they also wanna play the guys they drafted. If there were decent veterans on the team most of these guys would be hardly seeing any action. If this draft class was on a team like the Colts and the other elite teams they would hardly be seeing any playing time let alone starting.

To even be trying to already mention these guys as one of the best draft classes ever? You gotta be kidding me. Pathetic.

Levy's 1st draft:

4. Ko Simpson - Starting
                          5. Brad Butler - Backup
                          6. Aaron Merz - Backup

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                            To even be trying to already mention these guys as one of the best draft classes ever? You gotta be kidding me. Pathetic.
                            Perhaps you werent clear on the directions in this post.

No where did I state this was our best draft class ever, I implied that Levy had a great 1st draft.

The question was "What draft class do YOU feel was the single most productive for any team"

K, give it another go.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Levy's 1st draft:

1. Donte Whitner - PROBOWLER!
                              1. John McCargo - Good player for years to come.
                              3. Ashton Youboty -undecided on Ashton, I want to see him play.
                              4. Ko Simpson - PROBOWLER!
                              5. Kyle Williams - Very good rookie DT, him and McCargo are gonna be a sick tandem.
                              5. Brad Butler - I heard he has a nasty meanstreak, watchout!
                              6. Aaron Merz - He is going to be a good RG, you watch!
                              7. Terrence Pennington - A Starter, dont know much about him.

Originally posted by ICE74129
                              Taking the wet blanket role...Our team sucks so badly its not suprising we are starting rookies
                              Our rookies have done well though man. Their just better than our veterans. Atleast our team will be young for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X