X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Investment and development

JP is developing at a rate indicative of a late 1st round pick. If you all can't see that then I'm sorry.

There is an investment to be paid... The Bills have invested time into JP and it's obvious that he's shown enough growth to warrant a deeper investment. (See recent endorsements of Marv and D ick).

Bret Favre
    Terry Bradshaw
    John Elway
    Eli Manning
    Peyton Manning
    Carson Palmer
    Drew Brees
    Drew Bledsoe
    Donovan McNabb
    David Carr
    Troy Aikman
    Jake Delhomme
    Matt Hasselback

These are just a few of the QB's some of you jammokes would have run outta town before they developed.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: Investment and development

I see you added Carr to the list, nice. I've been saying that Carr is a good QB all along, his OL just blows though. He is really starting to 'get it', after how many seasons? 6?

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

drew bledsoe developed?
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
        drew bledsoe developed?
        LOL... Nope... But I figured most JP haters, being Drewlers, would appreciate his inclusion.

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

drew bledsoe developed?
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• scott51
            • Oct 2006

drew bledsoe developed?
            I thought the same thing when I read that list! Frankly, place in the draft means NOTHING! Take a look at Tom Brady, every team in the league past him up until the 7th round!
            Go Bills!
            Go Sabres!

JP Losman, your time is up!

2007 Standings:
            Buffalo Bills 7-9
            New England Patriots 18-1*

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by scott51
              I thought the same thing when I read that list! Frankly, place in the draft means NOTHING! Take a look at Tom Brady, every team in the league past him up until the 7th round!
              6th

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                JP is developing at a rate indicative of a late 1st round pick. If you all can't see that then I'm sorry.

There is an investment to be paid... The Bills have invested time into JP and it's obvious that he's shown enough growth to warrant a deeper investment. (See recent endorsements of Marv and D ick).

Bret Favre
                Terry Bradshaw
                John Elway
                Eli Manning
                Peyton Manning
                Carson Palmer
                Drew Brees
                Drew Bledsoe
                Donovan McNabb
                David Carr
                Troy Aikman
                Jake Delhomme
                Matt Hasselback

These are just a few of the QB's some of you jammokes would have run outta town before they developed.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
                Horse ****.. Nice try at an excuse though.

You like lists so much, how about this list.
                • Kyle Boller
                • Joey Harrington
                • Patrick Ramsey
                • Tim Couch
                • Akili Smith
                • Ryan Leaf
                • Jim Druckenmiller
                • Heath Shuler
                • Rick Mirer
                • Tommy Maddox
                • David Klinger
                • Todd Maranovich
                • Dan McGwire
                • Andre Ware

ALL of them were first round picks at quarterback since 1990. How did their “development” go? Were they not “given time”.

Don’t give me that crap about “investment and development”. These guys all SUCKED even after given “time and development” to make something of themselves, and if you take a REAL CLOSE look at that first rounder bust-list, how many of those teams that drafted him have done ANYTHING? The answer = not too damn many. Most of these guys set their respective franchises back for YEARS.. I'm not willing to do that with Losman.

Losman is a HELL of a lot closer to being like the pieces of **** on this list than he is to your ridiculous Farve, Aikman, Manning, Elway, etc list.

It’s simple; forget the record and the stats.. You either have “it” or you DON’T. Even when these guys on your acclaimed list were losing, they still looked like they had the first clue on how to be a NFL quarterback. None of them recited Yoda Quotes to the press. None of them recite movies like the “Program” as a way to not fumble the ball. None of them go to the sidelines after a telegraphed interception or stupid sack and sulked by themselves. Everyone on your list even at a young age when their teams sucked were a LEADER.. JP Losman is the ANTI LEADER.. He’s just another one of the guys, and apparently not a very good one either. The vets blasted him last year, you can already sense players this year getting ready to throw him under the bus again, and his top WR indirectly or directly is already finger-pointing at him.

Again, forget stats and records.. Its about leadership and the ability to take your football team to the next level. If you honestly see that in Losman, then you’re crazy- I don’t care if he throws for 400 yards and 4 TD against GB next week; he’ll come back with three picks the next.. That’s the way he is.

It’s not Jauron’s fault, it’s not Levy’s fault.. It’s Donahoe’s fault. Levy felt there were no better options this year and he wanted to focus on building a defense.. Fine, but he’ll be the target of many fans rage should Losman be here next year with the same, tired **** at quarterback.

No disrespect, but the list I made up of Quarterbacks is a hell of a lot closer to fitting than yours.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

I think at some point, we have stopped developing our own players in key positions, OL being the most obvious.

I think that most great sides have grown their own, supplementing their draft choices with one or two astute free agency signings or at least since its advent. Some sides have picked up a number of other teams alledged failures but they tend to be the exception to the rule. The sides that have packed their rosters with free agents never seemed to have worked or succeeded.

Poor scouting and poor player development produces poor teams.

It doesn't matter if we have drafted in the 1st or in the 7th or even if they are an OFA, if they have been probably scouted, and then developed with quality coaching they can make a positive contribution - building not just flash in the pan success only for today but continued success tomorrow.

and although this means success may not happen immediately, it is comforting that not only did all of our draft choices make the start of season roster but a 7b selection can come in under trying circumstances (late call up) and give a good account of himself - Aaron Merz

Comment

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    Horse ****.. Nice try at an excuse though.

You like lists so much, how about this list.
                    • Kyle Boller
                    • Joey Harrington
                    • Patrick Ramsey
                    • Tim Couch
                    • Akili Smith
                    • Ryan Leaf
                    • Jim Druckenmiller
                    • Heath Shuler
                    • Rick Mirer
                    • Tommy Maddox
                    • David Klinger
                    • Todd Maranovich
                    • Dan McGwire
                    • Andre Ware

ALL of them were first round picks at quarterback since 1990. How did their “development” go? Were they not “given time”.

Don’t give me that crap about “investment and development”. These guys all SUCKED even after given “time and development” to make something of themselves, and if you take a REAL CLOSE look at that first rounder bust-list, how many of those teams that drafted him have done ANYTHING? The answer = not too damn many. Most of these guys set their respective franchies back for YEARS.. I'm not willing to do that with Losman.

Losman is a HELL of a lot closer to being like the pieces of **** on this list than he is to your ridiculous Farve, Aikman, Manning, Elway, etc list.

It’s simple; forget the record and the stats.. You either have “it” or you DON’T. Even when these guys on your acclaimed list were losing, they still looked like they had the first clue on how to be a NFL quarterback. None of them recited Yoda Quotes to the press. None of them recite movies like the “Program” as a way to not fumble the ball. None of them go to the sidelines after a telegraphed interception or stupid sack and sulked by themselves. Everyone on your list even at a young age when their teams sucked were a LEADER.. JP Losman is the ANTI LEADER.. He’s just another one of the guys, and apparently not a very good one either. The vets blasted him last year, you can already sense players this year getting ready to throw him under the bus again, and his top WR indirectly or directly is already finger-pointing at him.

Again, forget stats and records.. Its about leadership and the ability to take your football team to the next level. If you honestly see that in Losman, then you’re crazy- I don’t care if he throws for 400 yards and 4 TD against GB next week; he’ll come back with three picks the next.. That’s the way he is.

It’s not Jauron’s fault, it’s not Levy’s fault.. It’s Donahoe’s fault. Levy felt there were no better options this year and he wanted to focus on building a defense.. Fine, but he’ll be the target of many fans rage should Losman be here next year with the same, tired **** at quarterback.

No disrespect, but the list I made up of Quarterbacks is a hell of a lot closer to fitting than yours.
                    Its all about quality scouting. The Pats have won 3 of the last 5 SuperBowls (I think) because they have drafted astutely and cleverly and have then decided on their own system and made astute free agents signings to fill the gaps.

I think it is no surprise that considering their team they have drafted their

QB
                    a key WR (with one for the future coming along)
                    TE
                    OL 4 out of 5 draft picks
                    the K
                    (oh and the RB of the future was drafted)

the entire DL
                    3 out of 4 of the DBs

in fact the only area they've plugged in FAs is LB and their leader was drafted

We need to draft not just the shiny new QB but all over the field. Find a system then get a brilliant GM/scouts on board.

Marv and Dick have started well, and hopefully they've broken Modrak out of previously formed bad habits

FREE AGENTS SHOULD FILL THE GAPS NOT DRAFT PICKS

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

And for the record, before anyone accuses of me on hating on the Bills.

I"ll buy into development and investment when I FEEL that its worth it.

For Example: The defense. They suck this year. I"m not bothered by it. I LOVE some of the young players Levy drafted onto this team. You could already sense their presence on the field. SImpson and Whitner by year's end will be playing and communicating like solid veterans, you already see it taking shape.. Kyle Williams is getting better every week.. There is a lot of young talent on the unit, so I'll live with them sucking this year.

My ONLY beef with the Bills is with Losman, he plays too important a position to invest anymore time and overall team development in a guy that didnt win in college, isnt winning in the pros, seems to regress immediately after showings of improvement, and demonstrates absolutely ZERO leadership ability.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
                        Its all about quality scouting. The Pats have won 3 of the last 5 SuperBowls (I think) because they have drafted astutely and cleverly and have then decided on their own system and made astute free agents signings to fill the gaps.

I think it is no surprise that considering their team they have drafted their

QB
                        a key WR (with one for the future coming along)
                        TE
                        OL 4 out of 5 draft picks
                        the K
                        (oh and the RB of the future was drafted)

the entire DL
                        3 out of 4 of the DBs

in fact the only area they've plugged in FAs is LB and their leader was drafted

We need to draft not just the shiny new QB but all over the field. Find a system then get a brilliant GM/scouts on board.

Marv and Dick have started well, and hopefully they've broken Modrak out of previously formed bad habits

FREE AGENTS SHOULD FILL THE GAPS NOT DRAFT PICKS
                        What does this have to do with the thread? I dont recall saying the word "Free agent" one time... While your points are valid, this has ZERO to do with THIS thread.

Levy and Jauron didnt draft Losman anyway.. DOnahoe did.. It's ONLY on marv if he doesnt cut his losses with this loser at season's end and find a quarterback who can turn this team into something respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          What does this have to do with the thread? I dont recall saying the word "Free agent" one time... While your points are valid, this has ZERO to do with THIS thread.

Levy and Jauron didnt draft Losman anyway.. DOnahoe did.. It's ONLY on marv if he doesnt cut his losses with this loser at season's end and find a quarterback who can turn this team into something respectable.
                          Err Pat the point I was trying to make was similar to yours.

Poor scouting and player development have led us to Losman. I think both sides of the argument are great but the key point is investment and development have to stop eventually if its not working

And it all begins with poor socuting. I even wonder if the only reason we went after JP was because we knew Green Bay were interested and thought they'r cottoned on to a great idea. If we had stood pat we would have had Matt Schaub in Round 2.

You almost wondered if we were behaving like a naughty kid at school trying to steal somebody elses answers in a test

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
                            Err Pat the point I was trying to make was similar to yours.

Poor scouting and player development have led us to Losman. I think both sides of the argument are great but the key point is investment and development have to stop eventually if its not working

And it all begins with poor socuting. I even wonder if the only reason we went after JP was because we knew Green Bay were interested and thought they'r cottoned on to a great idea. If we had stood pat we would have had Matt Schaub in Round 2.

You almost wondered if we were behaving like a naughty kid at school trying to steal somebody elses answers in a test
                            My bad.
                            You're right. Bad scouting and development led us to Losman. Fortunately, there is no rule that you have to waste 3-4 years of a team's development by having a bum as your quarterback because another egotistical yet ******ed GM traded up for him.

We could've had this guy or that guy.. YOu're right.. cant change that now. But you can GO FORWARD and a good way to start is by finding a quarterback via FA or the draft who has a clue on how to win and lead a team.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

And I dont blame Marv for not cutting Losman this year; he needed to see what direction thsi team needs to go in his first year.

Without question, you can be the house he knows now.. Levy as much as anybody knows the importance of a leader at quarterback.

Comment

Working...
                              X