PDA

View Full Version : Do we need an accountant at GM?

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Firstly I know some of you will be upset that I have chosen to use Mike Gandy as an example.

Mike Gandy is I am sure a fine man, and I have been impressed that having taken a bit of a slatting for his performance (rightly so) he has kept his own counsel unlike some other vets and so called team leaders. Having now moved inside, I hope he is able to contribute to an improved OL.

My beef is his salary ... £1.8 million plus bonuses of $705,000.

He played 32 games in Chicago, starting 30 at both guard positions and left tackle. he was cut after 5 games in 2004 and not signed by anyone until we came along. In his first season at LT we win only 5 games though his performance was acceptable. However after 23 games he's now getting $2.5million. How? Why?

As a comparison these are the MSN Foxsports base salary figures for 2005.

Mike Gandy $1.4million (2005)
Eric Steinbach $384,400 (2005)

From another source for 2006

Gandy base salary $1.8m (2006)
Eric $460,000 (2006)

Now I know Eric was drafted by the Bengals but the discrepancy is staggering.

Why are we hugely overpaying for players? There is still a salary cap!! For every vet we overpay we have to cut a youngster who could still come good, we have problems with dead cap space if we cut them and it might prevent us going after blue chip free agents like Freeney and Steinbach.

And whilst that was Tom, Marv is no better ...

Peerless Price, huge contract, out of football a year, nobody else really bidding
Josh Reed, only the Panthers interested, going no where near what we are offering.
Robert Royal, $2.5m a season ... for what?

I'm not so sure Ralph is tight, as sick of having his money is thrown away.

We are excessively paying for players who should be damn grateful we are giving them another chance. If they are more interested in what they can earn, rather than being given the chance to play football, then they have no place on the roster.

clumping platelets
10-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't put ANY credence in Fox numbers...........look at the number they have for Nate Clements.........it's off by $5 million

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I think the figures are off for Clements because MSN reflect last seasons figures. With these he would have still be playing under the terms of his rookie contract.

This season having been franchised he gets an average of the top of 5 players at his position hence the big mark up over what is quoted on Foxsports

Guys the figures quoted for Gandy/Steinbach are the base salary for 2005

Gandy is now on a base salary this season of $1.8m. I am certain Steinbach's in substantially lower .................... and I have just found out it is $460,000

Marvelous
10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
good work kernowboy, but it's irrelevant ATM. Becauseof how under the cap we we're this offseason..I'm starting to think that money is the ONLY way to get high profile players to Buffalo :(

jamze132
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Touche

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 11:29 AM
good work kernowboy, but it's irrelevant ATM. Becauseof how under the cap we we're this offseason..I'm starting to think that money is the ONLY way to get high profile players to Buffalo :(

I just think that it sends the message to the league that we are prepared to pay far more to players than they are worth, and this is really going to become problematic if we continue to have this reputation

Ron Burgundy
10-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Now I know Eric was drafted by the Bengals but the discrepancy is staggering.

Rookie contracts are never that big.

After this year, Eric will be making a ****pile more than Gandy.

Jeff1220
10-27-2006, 11:41 AM
While Steinbach is a much better player, he is still playing under a rookie contract, which good players often outperform the value of, while Gandy is a veteran. According to the CBA, Gandy can't have a salary that low. Trust me, when Steinbach hits Free Agency or gets extended, his $$$ will increase significantly.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 05:40 PM
The Bills have developed a REAL bad habit of not spending big money on the name "impact" players the past few years. But overpaying for what many consider other teams garbage at that mid-level salary.

That's on Donahoe, though Marv isnt off to a good start as it seems he entirely overpaid for guys like Price, Royal, Josh Reed, Craig Nall...

I'll give Marv the benefit of a learning curve this year though. He's a smart guy, he'll learn from his mistakes. His draft buys him a full uncriticized year from me.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
The Bills have developed a REAL bad habit of not spending big money on the name "impact" players the past few years. But overpaying for what many consider other teams garbage at that mid-level salary.

That's on Donahoe, though Marv isnt off to a good start as it seems he entirely overpaid for guys like Price, Royal, Josh Reed, Craig Nall...

I'll give Marv the benefit of a learning curve this year though. He's a smart guy, he'll learn from his mistakes. His draft buys him a full uncriticized year from me.

Absolutely

2 starting safeties
2 DT with promise that they'll get better
a CB who can still make the grade and maybe more
2 big RTs who may succeed - hell we have two bites there
a WLB who will be a regular player soon
and a last round OL who on limited game time to date, deserves more time

I hope Marv sees that most teams populate and pad their rosters with draft picks and their own OFA grabbed early in their careers with a headline FA here and there