PDA

View Full Version : You'll never guess what Toronto Maple Laughs fans are wining about now

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-27-2006, 11:50 AM
This was mentioned on the Shootout last night by Mike Robitaille

They say that the Sabres shouldn't have tied the record because when the Maple Laughs set the record there was no shootouts!!! :rolleyes:

MikeInRoch
10-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I hate to say it - but they kinda do have a point.

They'll be able to complain all they want from the golf course once the playoffs start.

hammerbillsfan
10-27-2006, 12:55 PM
:tongue:

SabreEleven
10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Honestly, the record is nice but this record will give us ****. I care about the nice points lead we are getting, so during the dog days of Feb and Mar. we aren't busting our ass's to get in the playoffs.

How many times do you see in pro sports that a team comes out like gang busters in the beginning of the season and are no where to be seen during the playoffs?

Meathead
10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
i cant even imagine why anyone wouldnt admit this

of course its different with the shootout wins

if the nhl decides to count them the same thats up to them but no rational argument can be made that they are equivalent

hopefully the sabres can push it to fifteen or so games just to make the record that much harder to overcome for the next team that starts the season on fire

GThirst
10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
They kind of have a point. The only game I didn't feel the Sabres were in control was the detroit game, and we found our legs towards the end of that one. We also don't have 20 minute 5 on 5 overtimes.

But let Leafs fan complain about the record, its all they really have right now. Good team? Nope.

They have nothing to talk about except negative stuff, and this is just one of them.

Ebenezer
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Um...hold the Toronto phone...

The Sabres own the record as much as they do...Toronto set the record by winning an OT game during that streak...in fact, game 8...the record before that??

It was held by the Sabres ('75) and the Leafs (30s) - the record was 8 and set in an era where there was no OT. Toronto fans have no reason to *****.

clumping platelets
10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
:movie:

Mitchy moo
10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Um...hold the Toronto phone...

The Sabres own the record as much as they do...Toronto set the record by winning an OT game during that streak...in fact, game 8...the record before that??

It was held by the Sabres ('75) and the Leafs (30s) - the record was 8 and set in an era where there was no OT. Toronto fans have no reason to *****.

That was a point I was going to mention, they didn't win all those games in regulation. The games now end one way or the other, no ties. So it's a even playing field for all teams.

Meathead
10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
i just dont get it

the sabres have three games that would have ended in a tie if not for the shootout. that seems to be the clincher right there

hey i dont really care either way, it is what it is, and its fun to be part of whats going on regardless. but the sabres have had a slightly easier road to get their ten than the leafs

what so wrong with just admitting that

Typ0
10-27-2006, 04:25 PM
the sabres have three games that would have ended in a tie if not for the shootout. that seems to be the clincher right there

I believe when Leafs made the record they played ten minute five on five OT periods too...so it's just not so cut and dry really.

YardRat
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
A "purist" wouldn't recognize Toronto's '93 start as being the record, either, for the reason Eb mentioned.

Too bad.

And - the Sabres haven't set anything yet, just tied.

SABuffalo786
10-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Only no-hopers like Toronto care about October titles and awards.

They can keep their record, we're just marching on to June.

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 05:14 PM
This was mentioned on the Shootout last night by Mike Robitaille

They say that the Sabres shouldn't have tied the record because when the Maple Laughs set the record there was no shootouts!!! :rolleyes:

There also weren't that many good teams and hockey was played differently. They're just pissed and need to get over it!

Typ0
10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Only no-hopers like Toronto care about October titles and awards.

They can keep their record, we're just marching on to June.

it sure would be nice to break a few records and rack up five or six 40 goal scorers along the way to the cup.

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 05:19 PM
it sure would be nice to break a few records and rack up five or six 40 goal scorers along the way to the cup.

True, but I would give all the records away to see the Sabres lift the Stanley Cup over their heads at the end of the year! :pray:

SabreEleven
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
True, but I would give all the records away to see the Sabres lift the Stanley Cup over their heads at the end of the year! :pray:

Exactly, Rob Ray said it best last night. As these records are fun, but championship is what it is all about.

JD
10-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I cant stand this kind of crap. Back then, there werent 30 teams.

Can we say its not fair to the sabres of this generation to play against more teams than the Leafs did back then?

It can go differant ways. Teams being added, rules being changed. People just need to quit *****ing.

It's the new NHL, and it's our record if we win.. end of story.

PUCKER
10-28-2006, 02:24 AM
Give me a friggin break! :rolleyes: For crying out friggin loud,a win is a win and goes in the standings as a win. Deal with it. :zapper:

SABuffalo786
10-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Can we say its not fair to the sabres of this generation to play against more teams than the Leafs did back then?

On the other hand we can also say with far less teams and roster spots back then, the quality of players was significantly better than today...

SkateZilla
10-28-2006, 03:34 PM
does anyone know if the OT Loss Expansion Rule existed then or was it purely Win or Lose or Tie in 60 MInutes (not OT)