PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons column

Mudflap1
10-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Front page, www.espn.com

26. Buffalo (2-5)
Dozens of readers e-mailed last week to make the same point: Why call J.P. Losman "J-Lo" when you can call him "J-Loss?" Done and done.

Speaking of Bills fans, Adam from Buffalo weighed in on my Leinart column this week: "I agree that J.P. Losman is not the answer, but I cannot support your claim that we should have drafted Leinart. Do you honestly believe Leinart would have been happy in BUFFALO??? I love Buffalo, but I was born here and it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate it. Leinart is way too Hollywood for this city and it wouldn't have been long before he was fed up with it or Buffalonians were fed up with him."

(That's a pretty good point. Remember, O.J. spent nine years in Buffalo ... and look how that turned out. Let's just move on.)

Jon

Jan Reimers
10-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Every time I read one of these threads that highlights some flippant, gratuitous comment about the Bills - started by a Bills' fan, of couse - I am reminded of the famous line from Pogo:

"We have met the enemy, and they are us."

RockStar36
10-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Even though he rips on the Bills, I think Bill Simmons is hilarious. I love reading his columns on Page 2.

Jan Reimers
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Front page, www.espn.com

26. Buffalo (2-5)
Dozens of readers e-mailed last week to make the same point: Why call J.P. Losman "J-Lo" when you can call him "J-Loss?" Done and done.
What a lot of people don't understand is that when things are really tough, that's the time to stick together. There are a lot of Bills' fans here who I wouldn't want to go to war with.

Mudflap1
10-27-2006, 12:49 PM
What a lot of people don't understand is that when things are really tough, that's the time to stick together. There are a lot of Bills' fans here who I wouldn't want to go to war with.

Losman said that he nor the rest of the Bills read the press anyway, so who cares? It's football, which is ENTERTAINMENT, not WAR.

I think a lot of people take this franchise a lot more seriously than they probably take us.

Jon

Jan Reimers
10-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I guess it's different if - like me - you're super competitive, you've been a fan since the beginning in 1960, and you really want them to succeed on the field and to stay in Buffalo.

I know a lot of the posters here have the same kind of loyalty that I have, but to others, the Bills are just a diversion for a few hours on Sunday.

I guess that's why I have a problem with some of the stuff on this board.

Jeff1220
10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Even though he rips on the Bills, I think Bill Simmons is hilarious. I love reading his columns on Page 2.

Me too, the guy's articles sometimes have me tears frm laughing so hard. His Boston bias is nauseating, but also part of what makes him funny.

Mudflap1
10-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I guess it's different if - like me - you're super competitive, you've been a fan since the beginning in 1960, and you really want them to succeed on the field and to stay in Buffalo.

I know a lot of the posters here have the same kind of loyalty that I have, but to others, the Bills are just a diversion for a few hours on Sunday.

I guess that's why I have a problem with some of the stuff on this board.

Oh give me a FRIGGIN' BREAK! That's great that you have been a fan since 1960, which is the same as my father. However, that gives you no right to get on your high horse and say that you are more of a fan than me or someone else. It also gives you no right to say that you are "super-competitive" and intimate that I or others are not.

I've stuck with the Bills through thick and thin, and I always will. That doesn't mean I have to like the direction they are taking all the time, especially when they haven't sniffed the playoffs THIS DECADE! While I agree, you still need to support the team on Sundays, maybe it's time we took a stand and said we aren't going to telerate the losing and corner-cutting ways this organization has been taking. I'm not a Daniel Snyder fan at all. However, let's keep in mind that this team isn't one that has gone out and tried to get the best they possibly could at every need when given the opportunity. More often than not, this organization has cut corners the last several years in order to save a buck or two. That's fine, but we shouldn't expect to be the toast of the sports world because of it. Let's also keep in mind, J.P. Losman was not looked at in the 2004 draft as solidly of a prospect as Roethlisberger, Rivers, or Manning. If we REALLY wanted to make a statement, we should have taken one of those three. We could have traded up for at least one of them. Losman was looked at as a high risk first round pick. Someone who had the tools, but it was unknown if he had the character or the head for the NFL. Guess what? The other three are successful, and Losman is struggling, big time. He's putting up average numbers, but is not showing any of the intangibles of the other three. Maybe he'll turn it around, that would be great. As far as I'm concerned, he has at least until the end of the season to do so. However, what must be stressed is he needs to TURN IT AROUND, which means play the opposite of mediocre on a good day, or flat out bad on most days.

Frankly, this organization IS a joke, and has been one for this entire decade. Instead of sitting in your home locked up from the rest of the outside world, maybe you should pay attention to that. It's very simple, if Losman and the Bills want to change that persona, they have to go out and play well, and win. Until then, he and this organization don't deserve any favors from the media.

Either way, the Bills have my support. But if someone is going to recognize their "perpetual putridity" in the meantime, I'm going to acknowledge it. After all, at the end of the day, it is not war, it is a game.

Jon

CuseJetsFan83
10-27-2006, 01:45 PM
i am just going over that poll from earlier..... and i liked what he said about the jets......
ALLIGATOR BLOOD
16. N.Y. Jets (4-3)
Six easy games left on their schedule: Home against Oakland, Buffalo and Houston, away for Cleveland, Green Bay and Miami. That's right, we could be looking at the worst 10-win team in the history of the National Football League! I'm counting down the days until we can wager against them in Round 1. No, seriously.

it scares me when the "experts" pick us 16

Jan Reimers
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh give me a FRIGGIN' BREAK! That's great that you have been a fan since 1960, which is the same as my father. However, that gives you no right to get on your high horse and say that you are more of a fan than me or someone else. It also gives you no right to say that you are "super-competitive" and intimate that I or others are not.

I've stuck with the Bills through thick and thin, and I always will. That doesn't mean I have to like the direction they are taking all the time, especially when they haven't sniffed the playoffs THIS DECADE! While I agree, you still need to support the team on Sundays, maybe it's time we took a stand and said we aren't going to telerate the losing and corner-cutting ways this organization has been taking. I'm not a Daniel Snyder fan at all. However, let's keep in mind that this team isn't one that has gone out and tried to get the best they possibly could at every need when given the opportunity. More often than not, this organization has cut corners the last several years in order to save a buck or two. That's fine, but we shouldn't expect to be the toast of the sports world because of it. Let's also keep in mind, J.P. Losman was not looked at in the 2004 draft as solidly of a prospect as Roethlisberger, Rivers, or Manning. If we REALLY wanted to make a statement, we should have taken one of those three. We could have traded up for at least one of them. Losman was looked at as a high risk first round pick. Someone who had the tools, but it was unknown if he had the character or the head for the NFL. Guess what? The other three are successful, and Losman is struggling, big time. He's putting up average numbers, but is not showing any of the intangibles of the other three. Maybe he'll turn it around, that would be great. As far as I'm concerned, he has at least until the end of the season to do so. However, what must be stressed is he needs to TURN IT AROUND, which means play the opposite of mediocre on a good day, or flat out bad on most days.

Frankly, this organization IS a joke, and has been one for this entire decade. Instead of sitting in your home locked up from the rest of the outside world, maybe you should pay attention to that. It's very simple, if Losman and the Bills want to change that persona, they have to go out and play well, and win. Until then, he and this organization don't deserve any favors from the media.

Either way, the Bills have my support. But if someone is going to recognize their "perpetual putridity" in the meantime, I'm going to acknowledge it. After all, at the end of the day, it is not war, it is a game.

Jon
I'm just saying different fans have different levels of loyalty, and different levels of caring.

I wish I weren't as serious a fan as I am, but I've lived and died with this team for a long, long time. I am extremely upset and disappointed with the past 7 years, but I just don't look to post every insulting piece on the Bills by every jackass posing as a journalist.

Oh, I am far from locked in my house, isolated from the world. I travel, and read, and talk to people, and drive 700 miles to every Bills' home game. I know the Bills are struggling and I'm discouraged - I just don't poke them in the eye every chance I get.

And if you weren't so young, you would know the real meaning of "perpetual putridity," and you wouldn't apply it to a 6 or 7 year drought.

RockStar36
10-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Me too, the guy's articles sometimes have me tears frm laughing so hard. His Boston bias is nauseating, but also part of what makes him funny.

Page 2 is the best part about ESPN.Com, IMO. I personally think his Boston stuff is funny.

I loved how he (and others) related the Bears/Cardinals game to a game of Madden. When you're doing really good and then the computer decides that you're not going to win this game and you start randomly turning the ball over. The only difference was Denny Green couldn't hit the reset button.

The_Philster
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Great posts...as always, Jan :bf1:

Mudflap1
10-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm just saying different fans have different levels of loyalty, and different levels of caring.

I wish I weren't as serious a fan as I am, but I've lived and died with this team for a long, long time. I am extremely upset and disappointed with the past 7 years, but I just don't look to post every insulting piece on the Bills by every jackass posing as a journalist.

Oh, I am far from locked in my house, isolated from the world. I travel, and read, and talk to people, and drive 700 miles to every Bills' home game. I know the Bills are struggling and I'm discouraged - I just don't poke them in the eye every chance I get.

And if you weren't so young, you would know the real meaning of "perpetual putridity," and you wouldn't apply it to a 6 or 7 year drought.

I'm as much of a loyal Bills fan as anyone else. This was meant to be a joke. You have to be able to laugh at things once in a while...

Jon

Jan Reimers
10-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm as much of a loyal Bills fan as anyone else. This was meant to be a joke. You have to be able to laugh at things once in a while...

Jon
Sorry, sometimes all the negative stuff overwhelms my sense of humor and I get a little cranky. Nothing that a little prune juice and Geritol - or maybe a couple of Ketel Ones at dinner - won't fix.

I think a few wins would help us all get along a little better.

Mudflap1
10-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry, sometimes all the negative stuff overwhelms my sense of humor and I get a little cranky. Nothing that a little prune juice and Geritol - or maybe a couple of Ketel Ones at dinner - won't fix.

I think a few wins would help us all get along a little better.

Absolutely! Hey, we're all on the same team here. And with an internet message board, sometimes the true humor/vibe that is trying to be sent across can be lost in translation. That being said, my beef is that some members can sometimes be almighty righteous, acting like they are better fans than someone else, and I don't want to be grouped in a category of being a "non-loyal" fan. I'm so far the opposite. But, I can also take a step back and laugh at a joke when I see it.

Jon

RockStar36
10-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't think Bill Simmons columns should ever be taken personally. Ever.

If you read what he wrote about the Bills and/or Losman and compare that to what he writes about other teams/athletes, it really isn't that bad. It's all a point to be funny. If he was supposed to be taken seriously he would be on SportsCenter trying to act like he knows what he is talking about. Instead, He is funny and the rest are moronic.

jamze132
10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Every time I read one of these threads that highlights some flippant, gratuitous comment about the Bills - started by a Bills' fan, of couse - I am reminded of the famous line from Pogo:

"We have met the enemy, and they are us."

Well put.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 04:57 PM
J-Loss..

I love it

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Bill Simmons is funny as hell.. IF he was dissing Culpepper it would be brilliant.

When you're 3 and whatever Losman is, the nickname is fitting.
If Losman wants to do something about it; its simple.. Win some ****ing games

3rdn1
10-28-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar4009_3.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4009)