PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it being a Bills fan right now?

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 05:22 PM
There just isn't anything to get excited about, whether we're talking about this year or next year. This year is over and I don't have much hope for this coaching staff and front office to lead us to the promise land. Please, everybody...help me find something to get excited about regarding this team?!?!

Suggestions...?

Typ0
10-27-2006, 05:27 PM
we aren't going to lose this week?

I don't really think it's that bad. We need to give them some time. The TD era left us with some talent in some areas but lacking talent in others. Maybe they can get it together in the weak areas and we can become a contender. Maybe JP will start to get his act together. I see bad patters with him but he can be replaced too.

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 05:35 PM

I don't really think it's that bad. We need to give them some time. The TD era left us with some talent in some areas but lacking talent in others. Maybe they can get it together in the weak areas and we can become a contender. Maybe JP will start to get his act together. I see bad patters with him but he can be replaced too.

Ok, good start, but there a lot of "maybes" in your statement and that is the part that bugs me about this organization. "Maybe" Marv will end up knowing what he is doing..."maybe" Dickey will end up being a good HC..."maybe" JP will show he can play...maybe, maybe, maybe. Seriously, I'm tired of that and wish that this organization would stop with the "wishing" moves and make moves that WILL improve the team. Such as, hiring a proven winner for a HC and not a guy that has been shown to be a loser. Or hiring a proven GM (I know, TD was it, but that didn't workout and there were signs in Pittsburgh that suggested this guy wasn't the right choice) who knows how to build a winning organization. Just expressing my frustrations...sorry.

YardRat
10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I've seen it worse. Much worse. With an older squad. This is a young team, with no where to go but up. I hope :D

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I dont think its bad.

I think right now, its embarassing.

jamze132
10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
well lets just run some sprints and call it a day.

YardRat
10-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Ok, good start, but there a lot of "maybes" in your statement and that is the part that bugs me about this organization. "Maybe" Marv will end up knowing what he is doing..."maybe" Dickey will end up being a good HC..."maybe" JP will show he can play...maybe, maybe, maybe. Seriously, I'm tired of that and wish that this organization would stop with the "wishing" moves and make moves that WILL improve the team. Such as, hiring a proven winner for a HC and not a guy that has been shown to be a loser. Or hiring a proven GM (I know, TD was it, but that didn't workout and there were signs in Pittsburgh that suggested this guy wasn't the right choice) who knows how to build a winning organization. Just expressing my frustrations...sorry.

Sports is one big 'Maybe' until you actually prove something on the playing field. That's what makes it exciting...the outcome isn't necessarily a given, or cut and dried.

A proven coach? How about Parcells who really hasn't done dick since he left the Giants or Schotty, who hasn't done dick EVER.

A proven GM? I hear Tom Donahoe's available.

Look on the bright side...this year's Bills team could be the equivilant of the Sabres from two years ago...maybe even last year.

kernowboy
10-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Why is it bad?

Its your team, they have a great history, will have a great future, and are going through a slump at present like all teams do.

It would be worse if you were a Bills fan awaiting their next home game at the LA Coliseum .....

just a thought

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Why is it bad?

Its your team, they have a great history, will have a great future, and are going through a slump at present like all teams do.

It would be worse if you were a Bills fan awaiting their next home game at the LA Coliseum .....

just a thought
what have you seen to suggest a great future? Its questionable if this team will be here in five years.. and as for a slump, 7 playoff-less seasons in a row is getting 1990s Bengal'ish real quick.

You are right though, it could be far worse.. Good point about LA

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Sports is one big 'Maybe' until you actually prove something on the playing field. That's what makes it exciting...the outcome isn't necessarily a given, or cut and dried.

A proven coach? How about Parcells who really hasn't done dick since he left the Giants or Schotty, who hasn't done dick EVER.

Look on the bright side...this year's Bills team could be the equivilant of the Sabres from two years ago...maybe even last year.

I hear ya, but I'm pretty comfortable stating that this team is not going to end up being like the Sabres. We brought in a veteran coach because we didn't want a rookie HC. Well, this veteran HC has lost to Mangini and Marinelli...2 rookie HC's...not a good thing when one of the reasons was because we didn't want to put up with the learning curve of a rookie HC. Your guess is as good as mine on Marv, but I didn't like the hiring of Dickey back then and I don't like it now. The hiring of a good HC is the most important part for a GM and Marv hired Dickey because he was comfortable with him, not because he was the best fit. I remember TD hiring somebody that he was comfortable with...how'd that work out?

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Why is it bad?

just a thought

Here's a thought...if this franchise doesn't turn it around quickly...the fans in LA will have a team to root for, but I'm sure you didn't think about that...did you?

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
This week is hard to be a Bills fan, I hate bye weeks. =( However, I will say that I am excited about our OL tweaks. I cant wait to see how they turn out. And Im hoping that JP will fix some of his problems and come out and destroy GB next week.

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 06:31 PM
This week is hard to be a Bills fan, I hate bye weeks. =( However, I will say that I am excited about our OL tweaks. I cant wait to see how they turn out. And Im hoping that JP will fix some of his problems and come out and destroy GB next week.

Now, that I can live with...good optimistic view. :bf1:

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Amen, hopefully JP does pick it up. Dead on about TD, he seemed to get good skill players but lacked the ability to draft good linemen. Btw, cute kid in your sig man!:D

Typ0
10-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Parcells is a bad example...he turned the JETS and Patriots, both with a long history of losing into playoff teams in just a couple years. He probably would have done the same thing with the Cowboys who have been poor for quite a few years now had it not been for Jerry Jones.

Typ0
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Amen, hopefully JP does pick it up. Dead on about TD, he seemed to get good skill players but lacked the ability to draft good linemen. Btw, cute kid in your sig man!:D

Thanks. She's 4 months old today.

TD biggest problem was GW wasn't going to put up with his heavy handed involvement and then he hired Moolarkey the fool. Despite some of his very frustrating game decisions I still think GW is a good coach and will be a good head coach in the league someday soon. Had we stuck with him I think we would be in a very different situation right now. After he left, hiring another coach on the cheap with no experience was too much for everyone to bear and my guess it was correlated with TDs bonus not RW being cheap.

The jury is out on JP. I'm not as optimistic as some.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks. She's 4 months old today.

TD biggest problem was GW wasn't going to put up with his heavy handed involvement and then he hired Moolarkey the fool. Despite some of his very frustrating game decisions I still think GW is a good coach and will be a good head coach in the league someday soon. Had we stuck with him I think we would be in a very different situation right now. After he left, hiring another coach on the cheap with no experience was too much for everyone to bear and my guess it was correlated with TDs bonus not RW being cheap.

The jury is out on JP. I'm not as optimistic as some.
GW sure knew how to coach the defensive side of the ball. I guess you could blame GW's failure on TD some what. However, TD's biggest problem in my eyes, was that he wouldnt hire respectable coaches. He was a complete power-freak. Also, interesting comment on TDs bonus, any idea how much that bonus was for? I also agree that Ralph isnt cheap.. He blew alot of money into this team when there wasnt a cap.

Typ0
10-27-2006, 06:58 PM
GW sure knew how to coach the defensive side of the ball. I guess you could blame GW's failure on TD some what. However, TD's biggest problem in my eyes, was that he wouldnt hire respectable coaches. He was a complete power-freak. Also, interesting comment on TDs bonus, any idea how much that bonus was for? I also agree that Ralph isnt cheap.. He blew alot of money into this team when there wasnt a cap.

I don't know anything about any bonus...it's just speculation. That's how a lot of managers operate though.

The thing that really impressed me about GW is the team was decimated when he came here...and no matter how much losing we did those guys showed up to play and played hard week in and week out.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't know anything about any bonus...it's just speculation. That's how a lot of managers operate though.

The thing that really impressed me about GW is the team was decimated when he came here...and no matter how much losing we did those guys showed up to play and played hard week in and week out.
I will further add I liked his defensive scheme ALOT. It seemed like our offense struggled heavily while he was here though. Then again, that hasnt changed much, has it?

DynaPaul
10-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey, it could be worse... you could be a Raiders, Lions, or Cardinals fan!

jmb1099
10-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I love being a Bills fan, the thought of not being a Bills fan turns my stomach. So even though we haven't done much of anything this year, I still say its not bad.

Luisito23
10-28-2006, 01:33 AM
It's bad and I'm dissapointed without a doubt, but I will always support Buffslo.....:beers:...

GO BILLS!!!!!!

Historian
10-28-2006, 07:09 AM

Agreed.

What they need to do, is take the leash off of him, and just let him make plays...whether it's with his arm, his feet, whatever.

If he needs to run three QB draws to get the first down, so be it.

Only JP can get his own confidence back at this point. Let him use his strengths. If they lose, at least they go down fighting.

JMO.

Typ0
10-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Agreed.

What they need to do, is take the leash off of him, and just let him make plays...whether it's with his arm, his feet, whatever.

If he needs to run three QB draws to get the first down, so be it.

Only JP can get his own confidence back at this point. Let him use his strengths. If they lose, at least they go down fighting.

JMO.

I would agree with you if he looked like he had any clue about what was happening on the field which he doesn't. I don't think he's going to do us any good in intensive care somewhere and that's where he's going to end up if it's an NFL defenisve player hitting him instead of a referee.

Historian
10-28-2006, 07:59 AM
He reminds me of the little redheaded girl in Mr Holland's Opus, who can't play a certain song her clarinet.

Hard as she tries, she keeps screwing up.

Until Mr. Holland takes away the sheet music, and tells her to close her eyes, and just go for it.

She then plays a beautiful version of Stranger on the Shore.

I know it's a silly comparison...but it's what keeps coming to mind.

I think they just need to take the reigns off, and let him improvise a bit.

shelby
10-28-2006, 08:05 AM
i agree, Billsology....it's like he's trying too hard and overthinking everything. He needs to just let it happen. If he can regain some of the poise he's shown glimpses of this year, he can turn things around.

It's a mental struggle. He's got the skills, he just needs to get his head in the right place.

mybills
10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
I've seen it worse. Much worse. With an older squad. This is a young team, with no where to go but up. I hope :D
Ditto.
:10:

Jan Reimers
10-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I've survived it for 47 years, relatively unscathed. It seems to go in cycles, and for the last several years, we've been down. But we just might do a Sabres kind of thing in the next season or two, and we'll all be saying, "Remember a few years ago when things seemed so bad . . ."

That's what makes being a loyal fan so much fun. At some point, the team turns around, and your loyalty is rewarded.

don137
10-28-2006, 09:59 AM
The Bills do have some good young talent. One huge problem has been the failure to draft or sign any true talent on the OL other than Peters in the last 7 years. The Bills are well under the salary cap so if, and that is a big if, Ralph open up his pocket book they could land some big FA's to help turn this organization around. Problem is this team has not landed any big free agents since Spikes and the drafts under TD was below average to put it mildly..

Irish Phin Fan
10-28-2006, 10:18 AM
I feel all the pain you guys ae feeling right now with you. This is a bad time to be a Bills/Dolphins fan. But hey we still get to watch our favorite teams play on Sundays. I could think of a lot worse things we could be doing.

JerseyBoofaloBills
10-28-2006, 11:23 AM
nah man it cant get worse. those teams are just as equal to us. except we lost to the f***in lions. im still very mad about that game...But what i do like is how the Bills have a nice young team, an are only going to get better. ya this is a bad year, but werent we all kind of expecting it? lets just hope JP learns from his mistakes an improves. cause i dont want to draft a QB..but if thats what were gonna have to do if JP cant step it up. then i guess its for the best.

Typ0
10-28-2006, 12:12 PM
The Bills do have some good young talent. One huge problem has been the failure to draft or sign any true talent on the OL other than Peters in the last 7 years. The Bills are well under the salary cap so if, and that is a big if, Ralph open up his pocket book they could land some big FA's to help turn this organization around. Problem is this team has not landed any big free agents since Spikes and the drafts under TD was below average to put it mildly..

it gets tiring of people griping about RW not spending. When was the last time we didn't spend near or at the cap? For a few years we were in cap hell because of what we spent. If anything at most there is enough funds there to sign a player in case of dire need due to injury during the season. There is absolutely no foundation to complaints that RW is on the cheap as far as player spending goes.

Iehoshua
10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
I love being a Bills fan, the thought of not being a Bills fan turns my stomach. So even though we haven't done much of anything this year, I still say its not bad.
Amen.