PDA

View Full Version : The Bills are on the clock

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
The Bills finish worst in the league and have the first pick in the draft.

London Fletcher has left for the Redskins (imagine that). Kelsay is gone too and we resigned Gandy... Levy signed a lot of free agents, but no franchise-altering impact players, similar to the 2005 off-season.

The Bills are now on the clock with that first pick.

Who you talking?

Typ0
10-27-2006, 07:30 PM
trading down is a no brainer.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
trading down is a no brainer.
We all thought that this year too, didnt happen.. Marv aint doing that. When we were on the clock this year, everyone on this board is a liar if you didnt think Leinart, Cutler or trade down.. None of that happened.

Who you taking?

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Me.. If were picking the same or any higher as last year (8th), Im taking a QB..

IF we win at least 6 games (which is 4 of the last nine)
Then I am going DE.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 07:49 PM
It depends how the rest of the season pans out and who is taken before our pick. I would be satisfied with:
Adams, Johnson, Jarrett, Branch, Thomas, Moses, or even Baker.

If Losman sucks it up for the remainder of the season, I'l take Troy Smith.

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 07:51 PM
It depends how the rest of the season pans out and who is taken before our pick. I would be satisfied with:
Adams, Johnson, Jarrett, Branch, Thomas, Moses, or even Baker.

If Losman sucks it up for the remainder of the season, I'l take Troy Smith.

Excellent points. If the Bills are #1 and JP blows the rest of the way, then I'm taking Brady Quinn. You don't get too many chances to get the top QB in the draft and I guy this highly thought of. If the Bills are #1...Brady Quinn's name is on the card!

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Excellent points. If the Bills are #1 and JP blows the rest of the way, then I'm taking Brady Quinn. You don't get too many chances to get the top QB in the draft and I guy this highly thought of. If the Bills are #1...Brady Quinn's name is on the card!
Yeah I agree. I said Smith because I think Quinn will be gone before we pick, if he is there though. That's my pick.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
If Quinn or Smith are there, you'd be CRAZY not to take them.

If they're gone, then I go DE unless Brohm is on the board and like I said, we're picking 8th or higher again.. That would mean Losman didnt improve for **** and he's out (in my book)

Nighthawk
10-27-2006, 08:02 PM
If Quinn or Smith are there, you'd be CRAZY not to take them.

If they're gone, then I go DE unless Brohm is on the board and like I said, we're picking 8th or higher again.. That would mean Losman didnt improve for **** and he's out (in my book)

Good point on Losman.

Typ0
10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
We all thought that this year too, didnt happen.. Marv aint doing that. When we were on the clock this year, everyone on this board is a liar if you didnt think Leinart, Cutler or trade down.. None of that happened.

Who you taking?

Like I said I'm trading down...wouldn't be surprised to see ML take a kicker though.

jmb1099
10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Another what if...what if Losman comes after the bye and tears it up...now who do you take? Fletcher is still gone and Spikes wants out.
But for me the situation is the same this year as last...fix the lines.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Another what if...what if Losman comes after the bye and tears it up...now who do you take? Fletcher is still gone and Spikes wants out.
But for me the situation is the same this year as last...fix the lines.
I dont disagree.. If Losman tears it up second half of the year you dont need a QB and we wont be picking in the top 1-7 picks..

G. Host
10-27-2006, 09:44 PM

London Fletcher has left for the Redskins (imagine that). Kelsay is gone too and we resigned Gandy... Levy signed a lot of free agents, but no franchise-altering impact players, similar to the 2005 off-season.

Who you talking?

Since this is completely imaginary I take Jim Kelly who has been given rejuvination treatment and Bills use the imported Basketball rule allowing them to sign a franchise player without impact to cap.

Speculation on draft is silly during middle of season even if it is bye week.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Since this is completely imaginary I take Jim Kelly who has been given rejuvination treatment and Bills use the imported Basketball rule allowing them to sign a franchise player without impact to cap.

Speculation on draft is silly during middle of season even if it is bye week.

Speculation on the DRAFT is NEVER silly, the draft is what will make or break this franchise unless you plan on winning with a host of FA's like Robert Royal, Craig Nall and Matt Bowens.

And your right, it is a bye week.. SO back off!!! :rrich:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-27-2006, 10:20 PM
lighten up pat

TigerJ
10-27-2006, 10:39 PM
If the Bills finish with fewer than 6 wins, I would probably judge the Losman experiment a failure. I'm not as convinced about Troy Smith as some others. I would be more inclined to pick Brian Brohm. Round 2, I'm looking at Buster Davis. He's short like Fletcher, but he's got the speed that Fletcher used to have, absolutely essential in the Tampa 2

Al13
10-27-2006, 10:51 PM
i dunno what you dreamin of guys, miami will have the #1st overall.....and we better take calvin johnson

DraftBoy
10-27-2006, 10:59 PM
1st overall pick?

No question, Im taking the best player in college football; WR Calvin Johnson

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 11:01 PM
lighten up pat
I was joking with him, he knows it.

patmoran2006
10-27-2006, 11:02 PM
1st overall pick?

My first thought was your insane.

MY second thought was he would combine with Evans and that would be sick..

I would definitely consider it, especially if we shored some other stuff up in FA

DraftBoy
10-28-2006, 12:02 AM
My first thought was your insane.

MY second thought was he would combine with Evans and that would be sick..

I would definitely consider it, especially if we shored some other stuff up in FA

No QB is worth #1 overall, Thomas is a debatable #1 overall but with his injury history ill pass, we dont need AD. Plus I think Calvin is the best player and makes any QB instantly better. He is the skill level of TO and Chad Johnson without the mouth or attitude.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-28-2006, 12:32 AM
I think it depends on what happens with Peters and Pennington. If Peters can't handle the LT position or Pennington is out of his depth at RT, I would have to go with an offensive tackle: Joe Thomas would be my first choice there, with Long from Michigan as my second at this point.

If Peters does a good job at LT and Pennington looks like he can develop into a good RT, I could not pass on the best playmaker out there, Calvin Johnson, if he is still on the board. Johnson combined with Evans would be a deadly combination on offense.

If Johnson is not on the board, I would have to take a serious look at filling the need at LB to shore up the run defense further. I'd love to get a Buster Davis in the 2nd round, but doubt that he drops into the second round. It would depend on how the LBs do the rest of the season and at the combine, but I would probably be looking at Davis or Paul Posluzny or perhaps a HB Blades (there may be some others as well) at that point.

I would only consider a QB if Losman continues to play the way he has the last three games and shows no signs of progressing. In that case, it would probably come down to Brohm or Smith. I doubt the Bills will be in a position to take Quinn and I'm not sure that he would be the one that I would want anyway. Brohm has the stronger arm and all the tools, but I want to see him some more, especially after his injury, because I still have some concerns about his pocket presence and escapability. Smith is a guy that I would never have considered taking that high last year, but he has come on so much in the past year, especially with his accuracy, that I would now consider him, but I want to see him some more, especially against Michigan and in his bowl game because I'm not sure yet whether I would prefer him to Brohm.

Still, I would only consider a QB if I was really convinced that Losman was not going to be able to develop and get better with more time. And, while I do have some doubts about JP at this point, I'm not yet convinced that that is the case. IMHO the Bills still have a number of urgent needs and a QB may be just one of those needs--but, it also may not be--offensive line, presently is, and LB certainly will be and those are the areas that I am looking at right now.

clumping platelets
10-28-2006, 02:05 AM
WR Calvin Johnson

kernowboy
10-28-2006, 05:52 AM
I think Johnson will go in the top3

I also think there is little point in picking him if we can't get him the ball because
a) The QB isn't up to it
b) He's still always on his back

I think there are only 3 ways we can go

1) QB - Quinn, Brohm, Smith or Stanton
2) OT - Thomas, Long, Baker, Brown, Blaylock or Free
3) LB - Polsuzny, or Willis - I think Davis is too small

WR is a luxury pick, DT not DE is the problem area but there are no top DTs with size unless the juniors come out

Assuming the OL does well, I would look at
R1 Posluzny - we will need at least 1 LB
R2 Stanton - hoping he slips, JP needs better competition. If he doesn't slide pick up the best OL player. We still need depth. If Peters goes down we are screwed.

Assuming the OL flunks
R1 Jake Long - he can play both sides so has the versatility. If he doesn't come out, we trade down for the OL, we don't trade up. Thomas will go very early I think
R2 continue to hope Stanton slides.

Considering the situation in Dallas, I do think it likely that the Cowboys will be aggressive in the upcoming draft as it is never a good sign if someone like Jerry Jones is not sold on the QB

patmoran2006
10-28-2006, 07:59 AM
I think it depends on what happens with Peters and Pennington. If Peters can't handle the LT position or Pennington is out of his depth at RT, I would have to go with an offensive tackle: Joe Thomas would be my first choice there, with Long from Michigan as my second at this point.

If Peters does a good job at LT and Pennington looks like he can develop into a good RT, I could not pass on the best playmaker out there, Calvin Johnson, if he is still on the board. Johnson combined with Evans would be a deadly combination on offense.

If Johnson is not on the board, I would have to take a serious look at filling the need at LB to shore up the run defense further. I'd love to get a Buster Davis in the 2nd round, but doubt that he drops into the second round. It would depend on how the LBs do the rest of the season and at the combine, but I would probably be looking at Davis or Paul Posluzny or perhaps a HB Blades (there may be some others as well) at that point.

I would only consider a QB if Losman continues to play the way he has the last three games and shows no signs of progressing. In that case, it would probably come down to Brohm or Smith. I doubt the Bills will be in a position to take Quinn and I'm not sure that he would be the one that I would want anyway. Brohm has the stronger arm and all the tools, but I want to see him some more, especially after his injury, because I still have some concerns about his pocket presence and escapability. Smith is a guy that I would never have considered taking that high last year, but he has come on so much in the past year, especially with his accuracy, that I would now consider him, but I want to see him some more, especially against Michigan and in his bowl game because I'm not sure yet whether I would prefer him to Brohm.

Still, I would only consider a QB if I was really convinced that Losman was not going to be able to develop and get better with more time. And, while I do have some doubts about JP at this point, I'm not yet convinced that that is the case. IMHO the Bills still have a number of urgent needs and a QB may be just one of those needs--but, it also may not be--offensive line, presently is, and LB certainly will be and those are the areas that I am looking at right now.

Good post as usual, and I agree with pretty much everything you said, with the exception of linebacker.

Crowell is a playmaker and he's going to get a lot better. I think by end of season and into next year he'll be more consistent and the player he was the first month of the season.

It's hard for Fletcher to really be effective right now because the DT's in front of him can't tie up blockers and the center/guard are getting out and hitting him on every run play. I think he's still good, provided we're better up front. Of course, he is a FA and frankly I think he's fed up with playing for a loser, so he very well could walk.

With Spikes, I cant believe how quick people are to write him off. Forget the achiles, the guy has been hampered by a hamstring all season long. Unlike Losman, this guy has PROVEN he is a dominant player. I think all he needs is some time to get back into it, 2 games isnt nearly enough. I dont think he'll ever be the 2004 Spikes again, but 85% of him is better than all but a handful of LB's in the NFL.

SO provided that Spikes comes on in the second half of the season, if I'm Levy I do everything reasonably possible to keep this unit in tact next year and I concentrate on 1-2 playmakers up front.

Historian
10-28-2006, 08:02 AM
With the first pick in the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select:

BRADY QUINN, Quarterback, The University of Notre Dame!

(j/k)

:D

X-Era
10-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Who you talking?

Calvin Johnson, theres no better player in college football, hes a sure fire top 5 WR in the NFL!

patmoran2006
10-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Calvin Johnson, theres no better player in college football, hes a sure fire top 5 WR in the NFL!

I agree, and we were on the same page with Vernon DAvis last year.

kernowboy
10-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I agree, but I don't think we'll be bad enough to draft him

He will go in the top3 and may even be the first pick of the entire draft.

The Raiders need him, the Dophins need him, only if the Cardinals are picking first might they go another way.

I could even see the Lions taking him

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2006, 10:14 AM
The worst part of this team is o-line (Sorry JP haters).

If a stud LT is there, he gets very serious consideration. The Bills have negleted the O-line too damn long.

Regadless, speculateing now is very difficult. The college season is not over. Hell, the Bills season is not over. I don't go DE because Denney and Schobel will be back. And do NOT take Brady Quinn. He is overhyped playing for ND.

Devin
10-28-2006, 10:20 AM
If this is the case, in the scenario you give I probably take a QB.

Ultimatley if we end up #1.....then the JP experiment has likely failed.

patmoran2006
10-28-2006, 10:21 AM
The worst part of this team is o-line (Sorry JP haters).

If a stud LT is there, he gets very serious consideration. The Bills have negleted the O-line too damn long.

Regadless, speculateing now is very difficult. The college season is not over. Hell, the Bills season is not over. I don't go DE because Denney and Schobel will be back. And do NOT take Brady Quinn. He is overhyped playing for ND.

Your Stud LT is already in Buffalo, and he wears number 71..

Yer right, OL is a weakness.. But a top 5-6 pick on a RT aint happening, let alone a guard or center.

Denney is a backup, and unless we want backups as starters,then we need an upgrade at DE. Having said that, DE or LB is definitely a spot I could see us going if we're high in the first round.

Brady Quinn WILL be the first pick in the draft, unless it goes to Arizona.

kernowboy
10-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Yer right, OL is a weakness.. But a top 5-6 pick on a RT aint happening, let alone a guard or center.

Denney is a backup, and unless we want backups as starters,then we need an upgrade at DE. Having said that, DE or LB is definitely a spot I could see us going if we're high in the first round.

I think with the possibility of Spikes and Fletcher moving on Polsulzny is back on the radar again

JerseyBoofaloBills
10-28-2006, 11:15 AM
if Quinn and Smith arent there, i would like to have Calvin Johnson, i think with Lee Evans and CJ, we'd be pretty damn good. then go with like a DE then OL. that's just IMO.

PECKERWOOD
10-28-2006, 01:42 PM
1st overall pick?

Cmon draftboy, he is gonna be gone brother. It would be nasty though.

PECKERWOOD
10-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Lee Evans and Calvin Johnson, is to Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt. ;)

X-Era
10-28-2006, 01:52 PM

HMMMM, if we are #1, Quinn wont be drafted #1. If Quinn is drafted #1, we would be picking lower.

Get the point?

Fans are entitled to their dreams, but this one will stay in dream land. The Bills arent going to be drafting a new QB, I think they will find that they dont even need one!

Typ0
10-28-2006, 02:05 PM
HMMMM, if we are #1, Quinn wont be drafted #1. If Quinn is drafted #1, we would be picking lower.

Get the point?

Fans are entitled to their dreams, but this one will stay in dream land. The Bills arent going to be drafting a new QB, I think they will find that they dont even need one!

and if they do are you going to change your username or something...because if not you will always look like a **** smudge on a very large pair of underwear.

Typ0
10-28-2006, 02:09 PM
If we end up with Brady Quinn I'm going to have to shoot myself. It's going to be another mess and guy that doesn't work out...while Leinart and Cutler will be at least vying for playoff spots next season you watch. So many people jumped down my throat when I *****ed about not taking one of those guys....well tell me this all you folks who *****ed...think of how much better our situation would be had we taken a QB. If JP steps up and becomes an awesome QB then we have a tremendous value sitting on the bench that we could trade for two safeties or a DLineman and a draft pick or Olineman and a draft pick. Now we are screwed at the QB position if JP ends up being a bust. The most important position on the field I don't care what anyone says.

kernowboy
10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
If the Raiders pick No1 it will likely be Quinn

If the Dolphins pick No1 it will be Calvin Johnson

If its the Cardinals they will likely trade down for a OL or a DE

Someone may move up for Adrian Peterson which may make him No1

patmoran2006
10-28-2006, 02:25 PM
I dont know where this crap is coming from about Brady Quinn slumping, being dissapointing or whatever.

AFter today, he has 21 TDs and 4 interceptions.
Not bad for a dissapointing season.

PECKERWOOD
10-28-2006, 02:41 PM
If we were to draft Quinn. We better get some help on OL fast, or I feel bad for Quinn! ;)

Marvelous
10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
So does this mean that the new super high 1st round pick QB gets to groom? Or does he have to guide us to the playoffs 1st seaason or else

/sarcasm off

I like the idea of a high profile QB. JP was more under the radartype. Not top of the draft etc..

-I like Kelsay! I think he could still progress into atleast a Phil Hansen type.
Ya know...reliable....

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-28-2006, 04:12 PM
here is a thought for you guys... right now the bills even suck at sucking.

they screwed up last year and won the Cincy game and cost themselves about 6 places in the draft.

The bills will mangae to win enough games to to make their draft position so that they get a debateable pick.

We suck so bad that we suck at being bad!

Jan Reimers
10-28-2006, 04:30 PM
We are 7 games into the season. We don't know how JP and some of the other young players - including Peters at LT and Pennington at RT - will do the rest of the way, or who we will lose or gain through free agency.

So right now, I would relax and have another drink.

billsfairweatherfan
10-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Who you talking?
The players with the least amount of money. blue light special.

DraftBoy
10-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Cmon draftboy, he is gonna be gone brother. It would be nasty though.

Agreed, but the thread asked who we would take if we picked #1 oa...Id take Calvin.

PECKERWOOD
10-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Agreed, but the thread asked who we would take if we picked #1 oa...Id take Calvin.
Sorry, I didnt pay closer attention to the question. If thats the case. I would take either Quinn or Johnson, dependant on how JP does.

Nighthawk
10-28-2006, 09:02 PM
1st overall pick?

I understand what you're saying, he is a great player. However, if we are indeed picking #1 then that means that Losman (or whoever) has stunk up the second half of the season and we have nobody to throw that top pick the ball. Weapons are only good if you have somebody who can utilize them...we should know that better than any team. IF we have the #1 pick, you have to take the best QB out there and that is Brady Quinn. IMO

DraftBoy
10-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Sorry, I didnt pay closer attention to the question. If thats the case. I would take either Quinn or Johnson, dependant on how JP does.

Personally I dont think Quinn is going to be a great NFL QB. Good maybe, but great no. I see him as a Trent Green type imo.

DraftBoy
10-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I understand what you're saying, he is a great player. However, if we are indeed picking #1 then that means that Losman (or whoever) has stunk up the second half of the season and we have nobody to throw that top pick the ball. Weapons are only good if you have somebody who can utilize them...we should know that better than any team. IF we have the #1 pick, you have to take the best QB out there and that is Brady Quinn. IMO

Agreed, but I think that there are better QB's avail later in round 1, or in later rounds. My personal favorites are;

Brian Brohm
Troy Smith
Drew Stanton
Chris Leak

Any of those guys could be gotten outside of the top 10 outside of one or both of the top two. Stanton and Leak are round 3-4 guys. Both could be amazing NFL QB's.

T-Long
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
If we have #1 overall. we'd HAVE to go with Brady Quinn. I'm tired of giving Losman 600 chances to win this job.

If we have top 5, I would love the opportunity to take Posluzny from Penn State. I'm a big PSU fan and have followed him the past few years...this pick ESPECIALLY if we don't resign Fletcher.

PECKERWOOD
10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Personally I dont think Quinn is going to be a great NFL QB. Good maybe, but great no. I see him as a Trent Green type imo.
Dang, Id be happy with a Trent Green at QB for us. I have always like Trent, alot of people dont think he gots it because of his age. I tell you what, he has had some of the most productive seasons, I have seen. His career could of been so much better if he wasnt a bench warmer all those years.

Bmax
10-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Quinn the kid can play.....That is the only player right now who is worth the #1 overall pick.. Sure Calvin Johnson is a great player .. but you just don't take wr with the #1 pick....And why do we need another wr anyway ?...Maybe a Jeff sma...Nd wr type in rd 2 or later .. But let's stick to building our Front seven on d and our Oline .. Before we even think about skill positions...Here is a list of guys and positions we should be looking at ...

Forget OT in rd 1.....Unless Thomas is totally healthly....Wait to rd 2 or 3 for Free or others Like sears from Tenn..

We Need LBS...especially mlb...The draft is weak at this position this season. Look for some juniors to come out to upgrade the prospects.. I would wait to rd's 2 -4 to find a guy...

DL-This is where i would look for our pick to come from...Gaines adams, Moses .Branch from Mich....A lot of people are saying that Lamar woodley is a lb Not true the guy is 6-2 and 260-265....I 'm a life long Ohio St fan so woodley must be good for me to even consider drafting the guy...Every game i watch he makes plays .. Vey quick off the ball his stock is rising.. A top ten .. no but but he moving up so keep an eye on him...

CB- Revis from pitt is a player--good size and good tacler .....PROBABLY WILL BE TAKEN IN RD 1 ...To me a CB in rd 1 is not out of the question ..Trading down to draft one say 15 -20 is not out of the question....

Bmax...

Mr. Cynical
10-29-2006, 02:08 AM
We are 7 games into the season. We don't know how JP and some of the other young players - including Peters at LT and Pennington at RT - will do the rest of the way, or who we will lose or gain through free agency.

So right now, I would relax and have another drink.

Dick is still the HC so I think we can all be pretty confident this team is finishing below .500.

Slim
10-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Quinn in a friggen heartbeat.

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 03:55 AM
Quinn the kid can play.....That is the only player right now who is worth the #1 overall pick.. Sure Calvin Johnson is a great player .. but you just don't take wr with the #1 pick....And why do we need another wr anyway ?...Maybe a Jeff sma...Nd wr type in rd 2 or later .. But let's stick to building our Front seven on d and our Oline .. Before we even think about skill positions...Here is a list of guys and positions we should be looking at ...

Forget OT in rd 1.....Unless Thomas is totally healthly....Wait to rd 2 or 3 for Free or others Like sears from Tenn..

We Need LBS...especially mlb...The draft is weak at this position this season. Look for some juniors to come out to upgrade the prospects.. I would wait to rd's 2 -4 to find a guy...

DL-This is where i would look for our pick to come from...Gaines adams, Moses .Branch from Mich....A lot of people are saying that Lamar woodley is a lb Not true the guy is 6-2 and 260-265....I 'm a life long Ohio St fan so woodley must be good for me to even consider drafting the guy...Every game i watch he makes plays .. Vey quick off the ball his stock is rising.. A top ten .. no but but he moving up so keep an eye on him...

CB- Revis from pitt is a player--good size and good tacler .....PROBABLY WILL BE TAKEN IN RD 1 ...To me a CB in rd 1 is not out of the question ..Trading down to draft one say 15 -20 is not out of the question....

Bmax...

Good post

I think the DL would be an option but unfortunately unless Branch, Oram or Red Bryant come out, the interior is looking undersized. Pitcock is under 300lbs, Okoye is over but not sure if he can get to the passer. With Schobel and Hargrove on board as well as Denney and Kelsay I suspect we will consider this sufficient. I see a Day2 choice

Even with the loss of Clements, Youboty will probably get first bite and I can see us looking at a big CB in free agency as I think Mike Rumph and Andre Woolfork to be released and made available. In the draft someone like Eric Weddle becomming available.

If Baker and Long come out, I see Doug Free being available in the second. I can also see us picking up Mike Otto from Purdue or Joe Staley from Central Michigan in the 3rd

Again at WR I think we need a big No2. I don't think we'll pick high enough for Johnson and we have too many needs to move up. I see us picking up a big No2 in Free Agency.

If we could trade McGahee, I could see us jumping at Peterson if he fell to our own pick.

I think it will be a LB if Spikes and Fletcher Baker leave so Paul Posluzny. On the QB side I think if Drew Stanton falls to Round 2 then we will draft him.

I would like to see McGahee traded as he wants to go anywhere, and us drafting

1. Our pick, Adrian Peterson
1/2. McGahee trade, Paul Posluzny
2. Drew Stanton
3. Joe Staley

It won't happen of course

If Peterson doesn't come out, we draft him in 2008.

clumping platelets
10-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Bills needs to concentrate on adding talent to the trenches :shakeno:

Jan Reimers
10-29-2006, 06:27 AM
RIGHT NOW, based on what we know, and what we have obseved, the Bills should pick the best DT and stud ILB available in the first and second rounds, followed by a big OG, then a WR, TE, and CB. Because RIGHT NOW, we need at least one premier LB, D lineman and O lineman far worse than we need an untested QB.

Historian
10-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Bills needs to concentrate on adding talent to the trenches :shakeno:

You're absolutely right Clump...but right now, I'm lovin' all the love for Quinn in this thread!

Way to go guys!

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 06:38 AM
RIGHT NOW, based on what we know, and what we have obseved, the Bills should pick the best DT and stud ILB available in the first and second rounds, followed by a big OG, then a WR, TE, and CB. Because RIGHT NOW, we need at least one premier LB, D lineman and O lineman far worse than we need an untested QB.

I think the problem with the draft as it currently is, is that at DT it is a bad year. And most experts say the OG/C class to be even worse. Most DT seniors are under 300lbs and only if the juniors come out will there be any size available. As it currently is and assuming we don't draft a QB in the 1st, I think the only way we can go is to draft down and get

R1. Trade down for Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis and hope to get an extra 2nd rounder
R2. Go for a tackle - if Jake Long and Sam Baker come out, it is possible Doug Free at LT will slip here. We could move Peters inside if Gandy doesn't work but at worse it gives us top LT depth.
R2. (extra pick) if Stanton at QB slips draft him or BPA
R3. of the DTs Justin Harrell is possibly the biggest so we could look to take him.

If one of the big juniors like Alan Branch, Frank Okam or Red Bryant choose to come out, it turns it on its head. I would still want to go LB in the 1st, but would look to draft the DT in the second. In the 3rd I'd then want to go with a player like Arron Sears of Tennessee. I still think we can take advantage of someone like maybe the Cowboys wanting to trade up and gain ourselves an extra Day1 pick.

Typ0
10-29-2006, 06:47 AM
You're absolutely right Clump...but right now, I'm lovin' all the love for Quinn in this thread!

Way to go guys!

Quinn sucks. If we take Quinn it will be another five years of hell and then we are going to have to start over again.

Historian
10-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Every party has a pooper, and that's why we invited you.

Typ0
10-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Every party has a pooper, and that's why we invited you.

where is the free food and beer?

chubluv
10-29-2006, 08:25 AM
If we dont fix both of our lines we are never going to get better as a team. I dont care if Jesus is our QB he wouldnt survive behind our current O-Line.

Next year our Defence will probably have a lot of changes so who knows where thats going to leave us.

I hope Marv is already thinking ahead to the offseason. He is going to need a head start.

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 09:50 AM
If we dont fix both of our lines we are never going to get better as a team. I dont care if Jesus is our QB he wouldnt survive behind our current O-Line.

Next year our Defence will probably have a lot of changes so who knows where thats going to leave us.

I hope Marv is already thinking ahead to the offseason. He is going to need a head start.

The DT situation looks bad this year unless the juniors come out, so I think Day1 needs an OL, though based on how the quality is spread it will be a T rather than a G.

Also LB needs to be consider as both TKO and Fletcher may be off, the latter more likely.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to draft a QB, but only if one falls.

At the moment I favour

1. LB
2. QB if Stanton falls or OT
3. OT or DB

I think FA is looking ok for WR and TE two areas we could consider but elsewhere, at present, there are one or two stars and then the qaulity drops off

Marv seems to have lost none of his drafting skills though so I expect a good draft

patmoran2006
10-29-2006, 10:04 AM
here is a thought for you guys... right now the bills even suck at sucking.

they screwed up last year and won the Cincy game and cost themselves about 6 places in the draft.

The bills will mangae to win enough games to to make their draft position so that they get a debateable pick.

We suck so bad that we suck at being bad!
Let me tell you.. You're right.

Last year I was disgusted we beat Cinci, and I know that's not a good thing to say.. But its the truth.. I rooted against cause Holcomb was the QB.. If we had lost that game, D'Brickshaw Ferguson would be our LT right now.. that sucks

And I think this year will be the same.. We're gonna finish awful, but just not awful enough to land in top 3-4 and get a Brady Quinn or Troy Smith. We'll probably win 4-5 games and pick around 10th... Which would mean those two QB's, Calvin JOhnson and Joe Thomas will all surely be gone.

2 of our next three games are extremely winnable. I hope we either win both of them, or lose them both.

Ron Burgundy
10-29-2006, 10:46 AM
#1 overall pick? I'd probably take Calvin Johnson. I'd try like hell to trade out of it, though...probably wouldn't happen.

Top 5-10? Troy Smith, THE Ohio State University.

Top 11-15? Joe Thomas, Wisconsin

16-20 (yeah, right...)? Maybe Patrick Willis, Mississippi?

I'm guessing we pick in the top 10, so let's say we grab Troy Smith at pick #5.

Round two, the pick is Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State University. Other options include several different offensive linemen, like Blalock, Sears, Harris, etc. Also look for Buster Davis, LB, Florida State, Robert Meacham, WR, Tennessee, or Lamarr Woodley, DE, Michigan.

Round three, the pick is Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan. Some other good picks in this spot would be Vince Hall, ILB, Virginia Tech Chokies (assuming he comes out early), Kenny Scott, CB, Georgia Tech, Kyle Young, C, Fresno State, or Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College.

Given the first options, that would leave us with a new franchise quarterback, a pass receiving threat at tight end, and a big, fast tackle to play either the right or left side depending on how Peters shakes out.

We went all defense last year, gotta go offense this year. That still leaves us holes at LB, CB, and DE, so Marv gets to make something POSITIVE happen in free agency.

patmoran2006
10-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree there is a lot of youth now on defense.. So I think any holes in our defense need to be addressed via FA with some vets who can step in right away and be positive contributors..

I REALLY think the draft is going to be used to grab a Quarterback, Possibly a right tackle, a guard and an improvement over Everett at tight end.

Maybe i'm one of the very few who believe it, but I think the moving of Peters and Gandy is going to work out really well for Buffalo on the left side.

Pennington now gets a nine game audition to show what he has at Right tackle..

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
#1 overall pick? I'd probably take Calvin Johnson. I'd try like hell to trade out of it, though...probably wouldn't happen.

Top 5-10? Troy Smith, THE Ohio State University.

Top 11-15? Joe Thomas, Wisconsin

16-20 (yeah, right...)? Maybe Patrick Willis, Mississippi?

I'm guessing we pick in the top 10, so let's say we grab Troy Smith at pick #5.

Round two, the pick is Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State University. Other options include several different offensive linemen, like Blalock, Sears, Harris, etc. Also look for Buster Davis, LB, Florida State, Robert Meacham, WR, Tennessee, or Lamarr Woodley, DE, Michigan.

Round three, the pick is Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan. Some other good picks in this spot would be Vince Hall, ILB, Virginia Tech Chokies (assuming he comes out early), Kenny Scott, CB, Georgia Tech, Kyle Young, C, Fresno State, or Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College.

Given the first options, that would leave us with a new franchise quarterback, a pass receiving threat at tight end, and a big, fast tackle to play either the right or left side depending on how Peters shakes out.

We went all defense last year, gotta go offense this year. That still leaves us holes at LB, CB, and DE, so Marv gets to make something POSITIVE happen in free agency.

Interesting

My thinking would be

5-10, we will go for a QB but I think it likely to be Brian Brohm. I also think Joe Thomas will be a top 10 pick.
11-15, Jake Long if he comes out or Paul Posluzny.
16-20, Again I might end up going with Long, Posluzny, or maybe Levi Brown

In the 2nd round, if we have drafted an OT or a LB I would hope that Stanton has dropped. Or Doug Free LT and move Peters back to the right or inside

In the 3rd, I am interested in seeing whether Eric Weddle from Utah. He can cover both FS and CB in give us depth, or maybe Justin Harrell

I think we may get a big No2 WR in Free Agency. With the TE situation, the possibilty of Matt Herian being available in the 4th could be interesting

Of the best current players available in free agency at DL and LB, they either double up our best position on the line (Dwight Freeney, Aaron Schobel) or are likely to be franchised in Lance Briggs. If we are going to make a big bid I would like to go after Eric Steinbach. The Bengals may struggle to pay the franchise average having spent a lot of money on the OL already.

Ideal draft

No 10-11 ..... trade down with the Cowboys even if Brohm or Smith are available
R1. Paul Posluzny I/OLB
R2. (ours) Drew Stanton QB
R2. (Cowboys) Doug Free LT
R3. Eric Weddle CB/S
R4. Matt Herian TE

Ron Burgundy
10-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm just not a fan of Posluzny that high or Drew Stanton at all.

Free's a good choice.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Im holding out for another couple years and get Colt McCoy of Texas.... This QB is looking like a blue chipper!

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Im holding out for another couple years and get Colt McCoy of Texas.... This QB is looking like a blue chipper!

2008 doesn't look to shabby at QB either

I think all this says is that TD panicked and took Losman in 2004 because 2005 was considered poor at QB but the next 3 drafts look well stocked at QB

DraftBoy
10-29-2006, 01:04 PM
No to Polz, he's too slow for our D. We need fast LB's to play our version of the cover 2.

Top 5: Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, AD, Trade Down
Top 10: Gaines Adams, Troy Smith, Jared Gaither
Top 15: Brian Brohm, Sam Baker, Dwayne Jarrett, Quentin Moses, Ted Ginn Jr
Top 20: Brandon Siler, Lamarr Woodley, Justin Blalock
Top 25: Levi Brown, Jeff Smardzija
Bottom 7: Doug Free, Patrick Willis, Kenny Irons, Sydney Rice, Marshawn Lynch

Scumbag College
10-29-2006, 06:11 PM
I take Joe Thomas, OT from Wisconsin. I don't care that we resigned Gandy, he can be a backup OT or compete for a Guard position. Some might be gun shy to take an offensive lineman this high after the Mike Williams reign of terror in Buffalo, but this guy sure looks like a reincarnation of Tony Boselli. (Without the injury problems, of course.)

I'm just sick of the Bills offensive line problem being mismanaged and, at least the last few years, absolutely ignored by the team's management. Also, I think JP might look better without getting hit every time the second he takes a 5 step drop and sets his feet.

bflojohn
10-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Great topic, IMO! I absolutely love Jake Long from UM, and would be thrilled to have a shot at him. IF, and that's a "BIG" IF, we had the #1 pick, I'd tend to think that the Bills would be rather interested in trading out, but again, you have to find a partner. My feeling is that Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson, will wow the scouts in February at the combine and shoot way up (NOT that he isn't already), ultimately gaining a top 3-5 spot. I would not be suprised if the Bills deemed Brady Quinn as the top guy though. San Diego had Drew Brees, yet they took a franchise QB anyway, so the scenario is distinctly possible! The question is who needs a franchise QB, that has enough ammunition to trade up with Buffalo. Someone also mentioned that the depth chart is going to change in March, so the speculation is highly premature, at this point. The Oakland Raiders are the most likely team in the market for Quinn, again, IMO. They won't be drafting that far from us and I'd take their 1st, 2nd, and 4th this year and next years 1st for the "right" to draft Brady Quinn!!

kernowboy
10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Great topic, IMO! I absolutely love Jake Long from UM, and would be thrilled to have a shot at him. IF, and that's a "BIG" IF, we had the #1 pick, I'd tend to think that the Bills would be rather interested in trading out, but again, you have to find a partner. My feeling is that Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson, will wow the scouts in February at the combine and shoot way up (NOT that he isn't already), ultimately gaining a top 3-5 spot. I would not be suprised if the Bills deemed Brady Quinn as the top guy though. San Diego had Drew Brees, yet they took a franchise QB anyway, so the scenario is distinctly possible! The question is who needs a franchise QB, that has enough ammunition to trade up with Buffalo. Someone also mentioned that the depth chart is going to change in March, so the speculation is highly premature, at this point. The Oakland Raiders are the most likely team in the market for Quinn, again, IMO. They won't be drafting that far from us and I'd take their 1st, 2nd, and 4th this year and next years 1st for the "right" to draft Brady Quinn!!

The Rams, The Cowboys and The Bucs aren't settled at QB long term. Nor ultimately are the Ravens

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Now that I think of it, I would trade down.

Rnd1.) Jake Long, OT Michigan
Rnd2a.) Zach Miller, TE Arizona State
Rnd2b.) Sidney Rice, WR South Carolina
Rnd3a.) Buster Davis, LB Florida State
Rnd3b.) Mike Jones, OG Iowa

What do you guys think? Give me some feedback!

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
The Rams, The Cowboys and The Bucs aren't settled at QB long term. Nor ultimately are the Ravens I dont think any of these teams will take a QB.

kernowboy
10-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Now that I think of it, I would trade down.

Rnd1.) Jake Long, OT Michigan
Rnd2a.) Zach Miller, TE Arizona State
Rnd2b.) Sidney Rice, WR South Carolina
Rnd3a.) Buster Davis, LB Florida State
Rnd3b.) Mike Jones, OG Iowa

What do you guys think? Give me some feedback!

I'm not sure how we get two extra picks unless we trade down twice?

As it stands however

1) I like Long but I suspect if we need to trade down twice, we'd be looking at Doug Free
2a) Whilst TE is a need, firstly I want to see the team use our current TEs.
I would look at Justin Harrell DT as I want Anderson gone and there appears little in FA
2b) Rice sounds a good pick
3a) I think Davis will go much higher than this so we may be looking at Anthony Waters from Clemson
3b) Again I think it would be nice to pick up someone like Eric Weddle who can play both CB and SS. He's not been tried at FS but there is no reason to doubt he cant be successful here as well, and he gives a safety net behind McGee and Youboty and depth behind Simpson

if we can only trade down once, I would remove Rice from the selection as I think we can get a big WR in free agency as well as a good TE

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure how we get two extra picks unless we trade down twice?

As it stands however

1) I like Long but I suspect if we need to trade down twice, we'd be looking at Doug Free
2a) Whilst TE is a need, firstly I want to see the team use our current TEs.
I would look at Justin Harrell DT as I want Anderson gone and there appears little in FA
2b) Rice sounds a good pick
3a) I think Davis will go much higher than this so we may be looking at Anthony Waters from Clemson
3b) Again I think it would be nice to pick up someone like Eric Weddle who can play both CB and SS. He's not been tried at FS but there is no reason to doubt he cant be successful here as well, and he gives a safety net behind McGee and Youboty and depth behind Simpson

if we can only trade down once, I would remove Rice from the selection as I think we can get a big WR in free agency as well as a good TE

I have us switching first round picks with a team, and picking up a 2nd and 3rd. I think we have a strong chance at a top 5 pick. If a QB is there, some team may be very desperate to grab him.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes, I know. I suck at mock drafts. SOrrRy!!

ShadowHawk7
10-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Actually, I think DE is one of our strongest areas at this point. I know that's not saying too much but Schobel and Kelsay have 5 sacks each, and Denny has 4. Also they can hold their own in run support. I'm not sure where I'd go in the 1st, but it shouldn't be DE.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Actually, I think DE is one of our strongest areas at this point. I know that's not saying too much but Schobel and Kelsay have 5 sacks each, and Denny has 4. Also they can hold their own in run support. I'm not sure where I'd go in the 1st, but it shouldn't be DE.
I agree, taking a DE with the first pick is an absolute waste. There is no way we do it, especially after trading for Hargrove.

kernowboy
10-31-2006, 01:57 AM

Agreed. We have one v.good DE, two acceptable DEs, and an unknown with an ok reputation. I think we cannot have an absolute stud at every position, so what we need as a minimum are decent players in every role. Looking at FA, there are big WR and decent TE available there to compliment Evans. We can pick up a workmanlike QB with starting experience who can replace Holcomb (and Nall) and give Losman proper competition. Therefore I like we still need to look at the OL, DT and LB positions. It is the exterior rather than the interior which is the better in terms of quality in the draft on the OL so I can see the following

1) Round 1 going either LB or OT - take your pick from Posluszy or Willis at LB or Long or Free at OT
2) Round 2 could then become OT, LB or DT. We might get Spiler or Davis at LB here, or maybe still Doug Free at OT. If we want a tackle to move to guard then Arron Sears might be a bet. If we don't want to miss out on the one of the biggest top senior DT in the draft then Justin Harrell may be the option
3) Round 3 and if we haven't picked one of the above positions then Harrell may still be here, as may Sears and at LB Anthony Waters or Justin Durant

with an extra R3 pick I'd be inclined to go for a versatile player like Eric Weddle in the DB who has played and played well both CB and S

mysticsoto
10-31-2006, 10:45 AM
I certainly doubt we will have anywhere close to a #1-6 draft spot. I would love to trade down if we did. If not, grabbing Calvin Johnson is probably ideal.

However, I'm predicting that we will be "around" the same place we were last year. If that is indeed the case, I would be for drafting someone like Alan Branch (DT) who is 6'6", 331 and fast. He reminds me of a younger Sam Adams. The DT position is about disrupting the line and backfield. We need a DT who can not only get back there but, also hold his own against the run. It is clear that the DTs we have are currently not capable or strong enough to be able to move toward and stop the run. Instead, we have fast but weak guys who can get into the backfield, but can't shift and move opponents to get to the runner.

I understand that our Oline is weak. It has been weak for years. I want to wait and see what the current changes do to our line. I suspect Peters will be much better at LT than Gandy was. I was advocating him taking the position since TC and am glad he's been finally moved toward it. I want to see what Terrance can do on the right side. His long arms should give him an advantage and he has all the physical attributes you need for the position. The inside will be interesting also as now Gandy has to rely more on strength than speed to keep people from the backfield. He should be more than fast enough to handle it...but does he have the strength and bulk? I want to see what they look like before I pass judgement on them and this will likely take the rest of the season to judge.

That being said, we will need to grab Olinemen likely in the 2nd or 3rd rd...regardless. It never hurts to have up and coming talent to develop.

PECKERWOOD
10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Alan Branch is the next big DT in the NFL. Thats a hell of a pick Mysticosoto. I could see him being a Kris Jenkins type of player.