PDA

View Full Version : Jets sign Cowart to multi-year contract

northernbillfan
02-27-2003, 03:44 PM
From The Sports Network:

Hempstead, NY (Sports Network) - The New York Jets announced Thursday that they have signed linebacker Sam Cowart to a new multi-year deal that will help the club gain additional salary cap room.

"Sam is a good man and a good football player," General Manager Terry Bradway said. "I think everyone feels good about Sam being a Jet."

Cowart led the Jets in 2002 with 154 tackles, including nine for losses. He also had two sacks. In six NFL seasons, he has registered 641 tackles and 8 1/2 sacks in 61 games.

Prior to joining the Jets, Cowart played five seasons with the Buffalo Bills.

Full Story (http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN2466979.htm)

Pride
02-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Boy, he REALLY didnt want to stay in Buffalo, to take a paycut close to what we probably offered him originally.

Must have been how the fans helped him get to Hawaii a couple of years ago. We treated him so badly.

venis2k1
02-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Cowart led the Jets in 2002 with 154 tackles, including nine for losses. He also had two sacks. In six NFL seasons, he has registered 641 tackles and 8 1/2 sacks in 61 games.

Cowart only had 127 tackles last year.(133 if you count Playoffs)

Ohhhhh and...

:jetsuck:

The_Philster
02-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Pride
Boy, he REALLY didnt want to stay in Buffalo, to take a paycut close to what we probably offered him originally.

We already knew that though. Heck...he took less than we offered to sign with the Jets in the first place.

Ebenezer
02-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Pride

Nowhere does it say he took a pay cut. He may have simply restructured the deal and the money got changed into bonus. He gets the money upfront and the team spreads out the pain opening up cap room for this year. They probably agreed to that last year when he signed.

northernbillfan
02-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Don't blame him for not wanting to stay in Buffalo. He was here during the whole QB controversy, and I would have left too. That was a very ugly time for us.

Better days are ahead.

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2003, 02:58 AM
Does that mean we should now be attractive to other FAs in coming to Buffalo? God I hope so.

don137
02-28-2003, 10:22 AM
I think some players are loyal to certain coaches and like to play for a certain coach and I think that is the case with Sam and Ted Cottrell.