PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe's Worst Move....

Historian
10-29-2006, 07:07 AM
...didn't involve a player, or even a coach. (Although a strong case could be made for his poor coaching selections)

TDs worst move was squeezing Dwight Adams out the door.

I know Mr. Adams was getting up there in age, and was kind of looking forward to retirement, but had Donahoe shown him just a little respect for his dozen years of accomplishment, perhaps he would have stayed on in an emeritus role or something.

He was one of the best Player Personnel guys in the business.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2006, 07:26 AM
I thought it might have been his "promotion" of Rusty Jones.

YardRat
10-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Both good picks.

Not only was Adams adept at his job, he was also a treat to listen to/watch talk about player personnel. "That boy runs like his hairs' on fire."

As for Jones...how many freakin' hamstrings have we pulled since he left? How many times have we run out of gas in the fourth quarter? Too many on both counts, IMO.

lordofgun
10-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Donohoe's worst move was the robot. He made such a fool of himself.

His running man was pretty good though.

The_Philster
10-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Dwight Adams and Rusty Jones were both HUGE losses
Donohoe's worst move was the robot. He made such a fool of himself.

His running man was pretty good though.:spit:

IAG
10-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Only in Buffalo do fans blame a downfall of a team on an administrator and strength and conditioning coach....unreal.

The_Philster
10-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Only in Buffalo do fans blame a downfall of a team on an administrator and strength and conditioning coach....unreal.
Only in Buffalo do fans realize the importance of the guy running the player personnel dept and the strength and conditioning coach

IAG
10-29-2006, 08:32 AM
No, maybe in other cities they would realize you need a stinking QB that can make plays, an o-line, a coach and pair of coordinators that can the most of their players.

IF Dwight Adams was so good, why is he not working? Oh yeah, he is retired...sure. Parcelles, Vermeil and Gibbs were retired too.

Rusty Jones? Please...I am sure he was awesome at his job. However, there are many strength and conditioning coaches that can get the athlete to high level.

Face it...the Bills stink and will for a long time.

The_Philster
10-29-2006, 08:35 AM
and how do you find great players? through the player personnel dept work
HELLO!!
Rusty Jones was awesome at his job...still is for Chicago now
The guy we have now sucks

lordofgun
10-29-2006, 08:37 AM
How about that Mike Mularkey!

Turf
10-29-2006, 08:40 AM
His worst move was locking us into Losman for 4 years.

patmoran2006
10-29-2006, 09:59 AM
His worst move was locking us into Losman for 4 years.
Definitely up there..

But M. Williams over McKinnie or Levi Jones is the worst. and drafting Willis instead of a good quality interior linemen when we already had Henry was second.

IAG
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
The Bills had and still have talented players that were selected under TD's watch.

What about Hines Ward, Joey Porter and stealing a HOF RB in Jerome Bettis from the Rams.

No, you are right. He stinks at player assessments. Marv Levy on the other hand is going to be outstanding.

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Definitely up there..

But M. Williams over McKinnie or Levi Jones is the worst. and drafting Willis instead of a good quality interior linemen when we already had Henry was second.

Agreed.

Why were we drafting an RT with a 4th overall pick
Why were we drafting an injured RB when we had a good RB. I guess we did miss out on drafting William Joseph (phew!) but even worse we missed getting a top TE in Jason Witten
Why were we giving up so much for Losman? I am not a hater but essentially we gave up Randy Starks, Matt Schaub, Mike Karney and Shawn Merriman to pick him. He may become a very QB but never such a great one to overcome those losses

my favourite though is drafting a player and then the following year drafting another player in the same position. He's not given the first player the chance to develop before drafting his replacement

Denney 2002 > Kelsay 2003 - he could have got Witten TE
Euhus 2004 > Everett 2005 - he could have got Nick Kaczur LT

He seemed to go for depth than fill obvious gaps

BuffaloBlakely14
10-29-2006, 10:26 AM
That is great that he made those moves, they definitely paid off....

For the ****** Steelers....

Furthermore not sure many people in this post were bashing his player assessment skills...But at least you cleared that up for us "Mort"

And check out the Bears....they are dominate throughout every game and only get stronger towards the end of the game...not saying Rusty Jones is winning a Super Bowl for them, but he is definitely putting them in the best position to do what they need to for 48 minutes...

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 10:29 AM
The Bills had and still have talented players that were selected under TD's watch.

What about Hines Ward, Joey Porter and stealing a HOF RB in Jerome Bettis from the Rams.

No, you are right. He stinks at player assessments. Marv Levy on the other hand is going to be outstanding.

He's done better than TD to date.

His first draft was solid. Starters in Whitner, Simpson, Williams, Ellison.
Those who have started or about to in McCargo, Pennington, and Merz.
Those who could come good in Butler and Youboty.

Whilst the jury is out on some of them, none have been busts yet at least compared to other players drafted at their position.

In free agency the picture is a little different. The only thing that can be said is that with some of his flops like Tripplett, the alternatives he could have signed have not done any better.

The problem with Donahoe was he started brilliantly with the 2001 draft but was unable to sustain it, and then over gambled with some personnel decisions where they would only work if the guy turned out to be truly awesome.

You can't see Marv making such gambles

patmoran2006
10-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I dont know whats wrong with Tripplett. Was he the beneficiary of playing next to Freeney? I dont' get why he's done nothing for us. We need him to step up and make plays.

Seven games, one tackle for a loss, no sacks, no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries.. He's struggling and he shouldnt be.. This Cover 2 is nothing new to him.

Tripplett, Clements, McGee and Losman have been the biggest four dissapointments to me, but Im willing to give McGee a little slack right now learning this defense.

Typ0
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
TDs biggest mistake was not immediately firing himself as his for act as GM.

Jan Reimers
10-29-2006, 11:10 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot how well those guys played for the Bills.

IAG
10-29-2006, 11:30 AM
How can you say Marv has done better than TD...TD took over a cap mess, brought intrigue back to the ball club and did have the ball club on the cusp of the playoffs in 2004 until they laid an egg against the Steelers' back ups.

Marv is on the cusp of picking within the first hour of the draft.

kernowboy
10-29-2006, 11:52 AM
How can you say Marv has done better than TD...TD took over a cap mess, brought intrigue back to the ball club and did have the ball club on the cusp of the playoffs in 2004 until they laid an egg against the Steelers' back ups.

due to the mess Donahoe made of the 2004 and 2005 drafts and free agency in the 2004 offseason, leaving the team with less talent than we deserve. He also let Pat Williams go which has proven a colossal mistake and after Williams got scared of sorting the OL problem through the draft. Everyone occasionally drafts a bust - that draft had more than its fair share - but equally you don't bury your head in the sand, pretending it was fixed.

I think even if we had got to the SuperBowl, thinking only of now rather than of tomorrow would have meant the team would have collapsed the following season.

Whilst I will give him his dues for sorting out the cap, he was hired as a player evaluator as well as an accountant.

The move up for JP Losman in 2004 was unnessary as we gave up too much including a difference maker at the start of the 2005 draft.

Ebenezer
10-29-2006, 12:04 PM
TD's worst move was bringing his extreme paranoia to town with him...he micromanaged this team to the nth degree because of what happened with Cowher.

PECKERWOOD
10-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I like McGahee alot, dont get me wrong. But getting rid of TH for WM, while he had to sit on the bench for a year was dumb.

Getting rid of Pat Williams, pissed me off.

Hiring Mularky pissed me off. I wonder how many times he has brought Miami's staff and players, free cheeseburgers from McDonalds this year?

Pissing Rusty off untill he left.

Just a couple specific references in my head. You can also add, that he neglected our OL worse than children in 3rd world counties. Just a start, to his madness. How about the fact that, he wouldnt hire a respectable head coach because he had control issues? Thats probably the worst one of them all.

Turf
10-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Definitely up there..

Yeah I can agree with that. Those were crucial mistakes. That and the bad head coach choices.

Typ0
10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I like McGahee alot, dont get me wrong. But getting rid of TH for WM, while he had to sit on the bench for a year was dumb.

Getting rid of Pat Williams, pissed me off.

Hiring Mularky pissed me off. I wonder how many times he has brought Miami's staff and players, free cheeseburgers from McDonalds this year?

Pissing Rusty off untill he left.

Just a couple specific references in my head. You can also add, that he neglected our OL worse than children in 3rd world counties. Just a start, to his madness. How about the fact that, he wouldnt hire a respectable head coach because he had control issues? Thats probably the worst one of them all.

TH is not going to last as a feature back. His running style dicates his body won't last five years. McGahee is a much better option and this was a good move.

PECKERWOOD
10-29-2006, 06:48 PM
TH is not going to last as a feature back. His running style dicates his body won't last five years. McGahee is a much better option and this was a good move.
Larry Johnson would of actually been the better move.

Mr. Cynical
10-29-2006, 06:55 PM
I dunno about his worst move but his best move was convincing Ralph he was a competent GM.

ublinkwescore
10-29-2006, 06:59 PM

Marv's draft has secured at least 3 positions on our Defense for a very long time (barring career ending injury of course).

Marv took over a team that had neglected the O-line for the better part of a Decade, and the one time it actually tried to make a significant step on upgrading it, TD drafted a major bust.

Michael82
10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
...didn't involve a player, or even a coach. (Although a strong case could be made for his poor coaching selections)

TDs worst move was squeezing Dwight Adams out the door.

I know Mr. Adams was getting up there in age, and was kind of looking forward to retirement, but had Donahoe shown him just a little respect for his dozen years of accomplishment, perhaps he would have stayed on in an emeritus role or something.

He was one of the best Player Personnel guys in the business.
Good post. I hated the way that Dwight Adams was forced out of Buffalo. :bf1:

I just worry that the Sabres may have made the same damn mistake this year when they tore their scouting staff apart. :ill:

Michael82
10-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I thought it might have been his "promotion" of Rusty Jones.
That's a great one too. Losing Rusty Jones destroyed the conditioning of this team and that moron Brad Roll set this team back bigtime. :mad: