PDA

View Full Version : Some Sunday Football NOtes

patmoran2006
10-29-2006, 06:44 PM
I got the Sunday Ticket. Since the Bills weren't in action today, I relaxed on the sofa with my clicker and watched as much football as possible. Here are some random non-Bills notes I collected.

* I think Bill Cowher made an awful decision to not start Charlie Batch and stick with Big Ben. For one he's coming off a concussion, for another he's simply just not there physically or mentally.. This guy should've taken more time off. He's been AWFUL this year, Pittsburgh is almost out of the playoff race already.. Might want to sit him and let him heal, he has an entire career ahead of him.

* The Raiders may suck, but that defense is pretty sweet.

* Most Bills fans could care less, but if the season continues the way its going, this was a good bye week for the Bills. Why? Well because Tennesee, Cleveland and the Raiders all won to get to two victories, the same as Buffalo. As of right now (again, if you're eyeing a high draft pick) only Detroit, Miami and Arizona (1 win) have fewer wins..

* I think Michael Vick is finally becoming a great quarterback. 20-28 for 293 yards and 3 TD's and 55-yards rushing. Thats back to back great games against quality teams.

* I could care less what his stat-lines I'm seeing, Vince Young is a straight up LEADER and a proven winner. Tennesee is pretty God awful across the board, yet Young has led them to two straight victories. He looks poised, he doesnt make any stupid mistakes, and he's playing smart. His 20-yard TD run was brilliant. Most importantly, he's ALREADY becoming the unquestioned leader of that team. I look for little things. WHen he gets hit, half the damn team goes over to help him up. He has command of that team already and the respect of his teammates and coaches.

* Tampa only put up 3 points.. and oh my god their offense line is horrible; but I like the way Gradkowksi plays. I think he's a keeper. Not that Buffalo would be interested in him anyway, but I think Chris SImms won't be in Tampa next year.

* Talk about problems on the offensive line.. Buffalo's looks like the Super Bowl era Bills compared to Arizona. Wow, those guys don't block ANYBODY and the can't pass protect to save their life. I'm not sure Edge had a single hole to hit the entire game. Leonard Davis is going to be a UFA at tackle. You can have him, I dont want him.. That line is deplorable.

* David Garrad had boring numbers, but he manages a game well. His win today at Philly reminded me of the best game Losman played all year, when he threw for only 80 something yards at Miami. AGain, not that I'd want him anyway, but I think Leftwich is going to be available, I think Garrad is going to end up with the Jags job.

* Looking forward to watching Green Bay vs Buffalo next week. The Pack are getting better. Farve looks like he's having fun again. They have some good young receivers. Our front seven better find a way to stop Ahman Green.

* Seneca Wallace looked good for Seattle in a tough road venue in Kansas City. There are a good handful of teams that have valuable backup quarterbacks in this league.

* Peyton Manning was unbelievable today.. 18-22, 232 yards and 3 TDs in the SECOND Half AT Denver today. I'm not looking forward to facing him in two weeks. That could get REALLY ugly. We gotta be able to run the ball and make the game shorter.

MikeInRoch
10-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Wow, did the Jets get screwed. No question that the receiver was going to come down in bounds.

On a side note, I HATE when announcers don't know the rules. No, that play was not reviewable. Don't sit in the booth and question why the refs were not reviewing the play.

jmb1099
10-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I got the Sunday Ticket. Since the Bills weren't in action today, I relaxed on the sofa with my clicker and watched as much football as possible. Here are some random non-Bills notes I collected.

* I think Bill Cowher made an awful decision to not start Charlie Batch and stick with Big Ben. For one he's coming off a concussion, for another he's simply just not there physically or mentally.. This guy should've taken more time off. He's been AWFUL this year, Pittsburgh is almost out of the playoff race already.. Might want to sit him and let him heal, he has an entire career ahead of him.

* Most Bills fans could care less, but if the season continues the way its going, this was a good bye week for the Bills. Why? Well because Tennesee, Cleveland and the Raiders all won to get to two victories, the same as Buffalo. As of right now (again, if you're eyeing a high draft pick) only Detroit, Miami and Arizona (1 win) have fewer wins..

* I think Michael Vick is finally becoming a great quarterback. 20-28 for 293 yards and 3 TD's and 55-yards rushing. Thats back to back great games against quality teams.

* I could care less what his stat-lines I'm seeing, Vince Young is a straight up LEADER and a proven winner. Tennesee is pretty God awful across the board, yet Young has led them to two straight victories. He looks poised, he doesnt make any stupid mistakes, and he's playing smart. His 20-yard TD run was brilliant. Most importantly, he's ALREADY becoming the unquestioned leader of that team. I look for little things. WHen he gets hit, half the damn team goes over to help him up. He has command of that team already and the respect of his teammates and coaches.

* Tampa only put up 3 points.. and oh my god their offense line is horrible; but I like the way Gradkowksi plays. I think he's a keeper. Not that Buffalo would be interested in him anyway, but I think Chris SImms won't be in Tampa next year.

* Talk about problems on the offensive line.. Buffalo's looks like the Super Bowl era Bills compared to Arizona. Wow, those guys don't block ANYBODY and the can't pass protect to save their life. I'm not sure Edge had a single hole to hit the entire game. Leonard Davis is going to be a UFA at tackle. You can have him, I dont want him.. That line is deplorable.

* David Garrad had boring numbers, but he manages a game well. His win today at Philly reminded me of the best game Losman played all year, when he threw for only 80 something yards at Miami. AGain, not that I'd want him anyway, but I think Leftwich is going to be available, I think Garrad is going to end up with the Jags job.

* Looking forward to watching Green Bay vs Buffalo next week. The Pack are getting better. Farve looks like he's having fun again. They have some good young receivers. Our front seven better find a way to stop Ahman Green.

* Seneca Wallace looked good for Seattle in a tough road venue in Kansas City. There are a good handful of teams that have valuable backup quarterbacks in this league.

* Peyton Manning was unbelievable today.. 18-22, 232 yards and 3 TDs in the SECOND Half AT Denver today. I'm not looking forward to facing him in two weeks. That could get REALLY ugly. We gotta be able to run the ball and make the game shorter.
A lot of interesting things happened today. Manning was amazing.
Larry Johnson was a beast as was LT.
The Pack are looking better, should be a good game.
Arizona's oline sucks as does ours. Leinart had a day much like Losman...I cannot stress enough how important it is for us to fix the lines.
Vince Young does look decent in many instances, it will be interesting to watch his play progress.
Mike Vick might have finally figured it out. He did play well against 2 quality teams. It took him 6 years but it looks like he may prove to be a decent qb. Lets see how he does the rest of the season.
A lot of turnovers today, a lot of sacks.
Bengals are not where many thought they would be at this point
Eagles are suddenly in trouble
Chicago...oh brother
Kellen Winslow is going to be very good if he stays healthy

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
thanks for a useful post pat.. thats the old pat coming out... keep it up.

Michael82
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow, did the Jets get screwed. No question that the receiver was going to come down in bounds.

On a side note, I HATE when announcers don't know the rules. No, that play was not reviewable. Don't sit in the booth and question why the refs were not reviewing the play.
why the hell wasn't that play reviewable? It was within the 2-minute warning, so a call should have come down from the booth. The Jets even used a timeout to get the officials to review it. They got screwed big time with that whole thing.

MikeInRoch
10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Determining if, in the opinion of the official, the feet of the receiver would have come down in bounds if he had not been pushed is not on the list of things that can be reviewed. Just like a pass interference judgement cannot be reviewed.

Michael82
10-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Determining if, in the opinion of the official, the feet of the receiver would have come down in bounds if he had not been pushed is not on the list of things that can be reviewed. Just like a pass interference judgement cannot be reviewed.
well, then thats ****ed up. I don't know about you, but I have no doubt that he would have gotten his feet down in the end zone if he didn't get pushed out.

MikeInRoch
10-29-2006, 08:30 PM
I have no doubt he would have come down in bounds, either - but I think the point is that you cannot review judgements that are subjective (e.g. where would his feet likely have come down?) vs. objective (e.g. were his feet in bounds when they actually did hit the gorund).

Michael82
10-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I have no doubt he would have come down in bounds, either - but I think the point is that you cannot review judgements that are subjective (e.g. where would his feet likely have come down?) vs. objective (e.g. were his feet in bounds when they actually did hit the gorund).
Oh, okay. I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining. :up:

Michael82
10-29-2006, 08:41 PM
BTW....bonehead of the week award goes to Coach John Fox for taking a timeout when his field goal unit was ready and blocked a field goal. The Panthers were awarded the timeout and then the Cowboys nailed the field goal. :doh:

lordofgun
10-29-2006, 09:02 PM
why the hell wasn't that play reviewable? It was within the 2-minute warning, so a call should have come down from the booth. The Jets even used a timeout to get the officials to review it. They got screwed big time with that whole thing.
judgment call...not reviewable.

CuseJetsFan83
10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
to me we got hosed, but thats the way it happens...... we didnt deserve to win the game anyway...... now here's to hoping the vikings and colts can take the pats to the woodshed the next few weeks

Elminster
10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
to me we got hosed, but thats the way it happens...... we didnt deserve to win the game anyway...... now here's to hoping the vikings and colts can take the pats to the woodshed the next few weeks
Amen to that. Already people are starting with the "Super" talk. Ugh...hopefully they'll get beat around a bit and we can do without that crap.

Oh...I'd like to point out that Mike Vick has been in the league 5 years and is only now coming into his own...and some want to give up on JP after 15 starts? I sure am glad Vick was drafted by the Falcons...

Bmax
10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Max Leinart and his fans are learning that one game does not a career make.. Just ask Clint Longley....former dallas qb in the 70's..

Jacksonville might just keep garrad and dump leftwich ..I 'd take either in a heartbeat.....

Boy farve looked great...Let's hope the bye week brings plenty of surprises and the same old int throwing farve...

Bryan

CuseJetsFan83
10-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Amen to that. Already people are starting with the "Super" talk. Ugh...hopefully they'll get beat around a bit and we can do without that crap.

Oh...I'd like to point out that Mike Vick has been in the league 5 years and is only now coming into his own...and some want to give up on JP after 15 starts? I sure am glad Vick was drafted by the Falcons...

well that frantic comeback by the jets that fell short, and the fact you guys had them on the wall, show that they are easily beatable..... just neither team can get the monkey off the proverbial back......... the day of reckoning shall be close......

on a side bar, i have tix for the jets bills game in jersey :-D

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 12:19 AM
YEAH THE BILLS WERENT HERE THIS SUNDAY, BUT WE WILL BE HERE NEXT SUNDAY! BUFFALO GOTS A FEVER, AND THINGS ARE GOING TO GET PRETTY HOT IN HERE! WATCHOUT GB.

http://www.npcnewsonline.com/new/interviews/wcwjanevents.jpg

YardRat
10-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Romo looked decent last night...

kernowboy
10-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Romo looked decent last night...

to use an English expression, "One swallow doesn't make a summer"

scott51
10-30-2006, 05:39 AM

The Steelers are my 2nd favorite team (after the Bills) and I agree with that. I don't think Ben's career is over but I do believe we need to be playing Charlie Batch. I say let Ben sit for 2 or 3 weeks and just rest up. No one would question this move I don't think. It's not like you are trying to figure out the future, you are just letting your future recover! Motorcycle accident, surgery to repair busted jaw, emergency appedectomy, 2 possible concussions... many quys would be on IR already!

YardRat
10-30-2006, 05:45 AM
to use an English expression, "One swallow doesn't make a summer"

It did for Rob Johnson.

mybills
10-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Ben looked like he was afraid to get hurt, especially towards the end of the game when he could've run in for the TD himself. There was a hole the size of RI for him, and an open receiver, and he blew it.

btw, I picked the raiders to win that one. :snicker:

scott51
10-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Ben looked like he was afraid to get hurt, especially towards the end of the game when he could've run in for the TD himself. There was a hole the size of RI for him, and an open receiver, and he blew it.

btw, I picked the raiders to win that one. :snicker:

My thought exactly as I was watching the game! I was screaming for him to just dive into the endzone! I mean look at last years Superbowl when he dived over and through the Seahawks at the endzone. Yesterday, I am not sure he would have even been touched! Time for him to rest!

Jan Reimers
10-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Good post, Pat, you made several valid points, including those about QBs and their O lines. I don't mean to quibble, but you would have crucified JP had he performed like many of the QBs yesterday, including Gradkowski's 20-48, 138 yard, 3 points and a fumble debacle. He attempts 48 passes, produces 138 yards, and you LIKE the way he plays?

When JP stumbles, he's not a leader, he doesn't get it, etc.,.etc., but when Gradkowski, Pennington, Walter, Leinart, and several others stink up their stadiums, they are either unmentioned, or it's the fault of their O lines. And I would wait a bit on Young. He and David Garrard - who is nothing more than a decent backup - won because their TEAMS played well yesterday.

jmb1099
10-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Good post, Pat, you made several valid points, including those about QBs and their O lines. I don't mean to quibble, but you would have crucified JP had he performed like many of the QBs yesterday, including Gradkowski's 20-48, 138 yard, 3 points and a fumble debacle. He attempts 48 passes, produces 138 yards, and you LIKE the way he plays?

When JP stumbles, he's not a leader, he doesn't get it, etc.,.etc., but when Gradkowski, Pennington, Walter, Leinart, and several others stink up their stadiums, they are either unmentioned, or it's the fault of their O lines. And I would wait a bit on Young. He and David Garrard - who is nothing more than a decent backup - won because their TEAMS played well yesterday.
Agreed. I just posted an fi thread about this weeks qb play.
Good post Jan

CuseJetsFan83
10-31-2006, 02:07 AM
after watching the jets game.... pennington just looked horrible............. passes high, low, too far, too short........ i mean ya the winds can play a part, but he is too smart for those mistakes........

with that being said... hopefully this is that "bad game" everyone is entitled to, and not just a smokescreen for an underlying problem in the future

Typ0
10-31-2006, 05:51 AM

no, that play was not reviewable...but it's also usually automatically called a TD because the DBack pushed the guy out of bounce. It was a rediculous call. Ripped off the JETS who are playing with their hearts.

Typ0
10-31-2006, 05:57 AM

I kind of thought Farve's plan was to play again next season and he believes the team is going to be very competitive next year...perhaps the best in the league. The team is getting better and he's going to have his shot to go out on top like Elway. I am not at all looking forward to Bills embarassment. It will be a miracle if we win another game this season even though we have houston and ten on the schedule. Yes, I'm still a fan but I fully expect outright embarassment in the next two games and going into houston with our heads hung low (so goes the head of JP Lossman) and taking a loss there.

patmoran2006
10-31-2006, 08:32 PM

This is what a lot of people dont understand on why I hate JP so much.

It isnt his numbers.. he has a live arm.. He's mobile..He can make plays...

its his intangibles that I cant' stand. He has no leadership, while I cant "prove" it, I dont think his own team even believes in him, the few vets we have sure as hell dont... He doesnt communicate with his teammates enough on Sundays.. he's nowhere near vocal enough and he doesnt seem to me to have a winner's menatility. and im not sure those are things that can be taught.

Sorry, for being honest.