X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimbuktu
    • Oct 2004

Byron Leftwich

Assuming Losman shows zero growth for the remainder of the season and that the Jags go to Garrard as their permanent starter, I say we make a move to trade for Byron Leftwich in the offseason.

They guy is still a solid young quarterback, the epitome of a leader, but has not gotten a fair shake in Jacksonville.

I think he would be the perfect BUFFALO quarterback, well suited for the winters and with that great blue collar mentality.

But god help him if we didn't improve the offensive line.

What do you guys think?

• scott51
    • Oct 2006

Re: Byron Leftwich

Originally posted by Jimbuktu
    Assuming Losman shows zero growth for the remainder of the season and that the Jags go to Garrard as their permanent starter, I say we make a move to trade for Byron Leftwich in the offseason.

They guy is still a solid young quarterback, the epitome of a leader, but has not gotten a fair shake in Jacksonville.

I think he would be the perfect BUFFALO quarterback, well suited for the winters and with that great blue collar mentality.

But god help him if we didn't improve the offensive line.

What do you guys think?
    It sounds good, but look what happened the last time we brought in a Jacksonville quarterback who was thought to have potential! Not saying Byron is him just kinda worries me after last time...
    Go Bills!
    Go Sabres!

JP Losman, your time is up!

2007 Standings:
    Buffalo Bills 7-9
    New England Patriots 18-1*

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

jesus, every time I hear some of these names being tossed around for JP's replacement, a cold chill runs up my spine. If JP can't get it done, we're really hosed.

**** Tom Donahoe for putting us in a situation where the future of the franchise depends on JP Losman.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• scott51
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
        jesus, every time I hear some of these names being tossed around for JP's replacement, a cold chill runs up my spine. If JP can't get it done, we're really hosed.

**** Tom Donahoe for putting us in a situation where the future of the franchise depends on JP Losman.
        How are we "hosed" if JP isn't the future? If he isn't, we release hime and move on. We draft Brady Quinn and sit back and enjoy...
        Go Bills!
        Go Sabres!

2007 Standings:
        Buffalo Bills 7-9

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I dont think Jacksonville has lost any faith in Leftwich he is hurt right now. And one thing Garrad has shown over the years is that he is a good back up. He has never over whelmingly pressure Leftwich for the position.

If you want to trade for a Backup you look at Schaub end of story.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

I wouldnt be against it. Byron is a good quarterback, he just cant seem to stay healthy.

Comment

• Luisito23
              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
              • Apr 2003

I like Byron.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!
              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• scott51
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
                I dont think Jacksonville has lost any faith in Leftwich he is hurt right now. And one thing Garrad has shown over the years is that he is a good back up. He has never over whelmingly pressure Leftwich for the position.

If you want to trade for a Backup you look at Schaub end of story.
                I don't want a backup for another team, there must be a reason he's a backup (unless the team has a franchise qb manning, favre...etc). I want to get a rookie like Brady Quinn who actually is expected to have some potential! Thats my opinion
                Go Bills!
                Go Sabres!

2007 Standings:
                Buffalo Bills 7-9

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by scott51
                  How are we "hosed" if JP isn't the future? If he isn't, we release hime and move on. We draft Brady Quinn and sit back and enjoy...
                  because even someone like Brady Quinn will take 2-3 years to develop into a solid NFL QB. In the meantime, we'll lose players to FA, age, injuries, etc and it will be like constantly rebuilding. Guys like McGahee and Evans are in their prime now and we're missing out on their talent by lacking solid play from the QB position.

If JP continues on his current pace, expect another 2-3 losing seasons after this one while we groom another QB.

And as of right now, we're not quite bad enough to get Quinn- Marv would really have to fork over to trade up high enough to get him.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• scott51
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    because even someone like Brady Quinn will take 2-3 years to develop into a solid NFL QB. In the meantime, we'll lose players to FA, age, injuries, etc and it will be like constantly rebuilding. Guys like McGahee and Evans are in their prime now and we're missing out on their talent by lacking solid play from the QB position.

If JP continues on his current pace, expect another 2-3 losing seasons after this one while we groom another QB.

And as of right now, we're not quite bad enough to get Quinn- Marv would really have to fork over to trade up high enough to get him.
                    Maybe and maybe not. I mean look at Eli Manning he had a pretty rough 1st season and then really turned it around his 2nd year. Plus, I believe if we have a quarterback who is expected to perform and actually shows promise, those FA's are more likely to stick around.
                    Go Bills!
                    Go Sabres!

2007 Standings:
                    Buffalo Bills 7-9

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Byron has alot of potential, and he is still young. He has shown leadership and flashes of brilliance. This is the only possible FA name, that I've heard worthy of consideration. Potential, youth, flashes of brilliance and leadership. Only knock, is injuries. Thats why Gerrard is even getting a chance. Leftwich hasnt started a full season for the Jag's yet.

Comment

Over the next 3 drafts, 2007 > 2008 > 2009, there appears to be plenty of top talent coming out at QB and I wonder if we are falling into the trap of desperate seeking out the next big thing. It was Leinart-Young-Cutler last year, Quinn-Smith-Brohm this coming draft, I am sure there will be as equally talented Troika in 2008.

Dilfer won the ring behind a very good Ravens team especially the Defence, and I think we have more fundamental problems than looking at the QB all the time. A great team can carry an OK QB all the way, but a great QB rarely gets an average team to the ring on his own.

I am in favour of looking at fixing the rest of the team first. By all means if a QB we like is released and can be picked up at no cost (Schaub will cost an RFA at present), a QB who is young and who can give Losman sterner competition (Pat Ramsey, 27, former starter with a 75.0 passer rating) or a top QB slips badly in the draft then by all means pick him up but there are some other issues we need to look at first.

1) How do we get the DL interior to stop the run?
                        2) Will we need to overhaul the LB because Fletch and TKO go?
                        3) Will the OL changes work and if not how do we fix this?
                        4) Can Youboty step up and if not what is the solution?
                        5) Do we need to reconsider the talent at WR/TE beyond Evans?
                        6) What are we to do about McGahee? will he stay? will he become a destructive element? can we plan to replace him now?

If we can get the bulk of the team fixed in the upcoming draft and in free agency, we can draft a QB in Round 1 in 2008 and with a year of seasoning he could do a BigBen/Steelers for us in 2009.

Though of course I'd ban him from all motorbikes

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Leftwich does have leadership skills and can read defenses and throw the ball, but he isn't the answer here or in Jacksonville.

Leftwich isn't very mobile and has an elongated delivery that leads to a slow release. He throws the ball downfield well, but doesn't throw touch passes nearly as well. Because he takes so long to setup and throw the ball he gets sacked and hit a lot, which is why he gets hurt.

In short, not a bad QB but is limited in how far he can take a team. You just don't want a QB with a slow delivery in today's NFL, where everyone places a premium at pressuring the passer.

The guy is the black Drew Bledsoe.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Leftwich is not on his way out in Jacksonville. He is injured. Garrard is a 5 year journeyman backup who threw for a whopping 87 yards on Sunday, and "won" the game only because the Jags played great D, ran well - and Philadelphia stunk.

Leftwich, while frequently injured, is marginally better than Girrard - but I don't want either one. JP at least has potential.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by NE39

The guy is the black Drew Bledsoe.
                              Thats how Mel Kiper described him coming out of the draft.
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X