PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich

Jimbuktu
10-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Assuming Losman shows zero growth for the remainder of the season and that the Jags go to Garrard as their permanent starter, I say we make a move to trade for Byron Leftwich in the offseason.

They guy is still a solid young quarterback, the epitome of a leader, but has not gotten a fair shake in Jacksonville.

I think he would be the perfect BUFFALO quarterback, well suited for the winters and with that great blue collar mentality.

But god help him if we didn't improve the offensive line.

What do you guys think?

scott51
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Assuming Losman shows zero growth for the remainder of the season and that the Jags go to Garrard as their permanent starter, I say we make a move to trade for Byron Leftwich in the offseason.

They guy is still a solid young quarterback, the epitome of a leader, but has not gotten a fair shake in Jacksonville.

I think he would be the perfect BUFFALO quarterback, well suited for the winters and with that great blue collar mentality.

What do you guys think?

It sounds good, but look what happened the last time we brought in a Jacksonville quarterback who was thought to have potential! Not saying Byron is him just kinda worries me after last time...

OpIv37
10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
jesus, every time I hear some of these names being tossed around for JP's replacement, a cold chill runs up my spine. If JP can't get it done, we're really hosed.

**** Tom Donahoe for putting us in a situation where the future of the franchise depends on JP Losman.

scott51
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
jesus, every time I hear some of these names being tossed around for JP's replacement, a cold chill runs up my spine. If JP can't get it done, we're really hosed.

**** Tom Donahoe for putting us in a situation where the future of the franchise depends on JP Losman.

How are we "hosed" if JP isn't the future? If he isn't, we release hime and move on. We draft Brady Quinn and sit back and enjoy...

The King
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
I dont think Jacksonville has lost any faith in Leftwich he is hurt right now. And one thing Garrad has shown over the years is that he is a good back up. He has never over whelmingly pressure Leftwich for the position.

If you want to trade for a Backup you look at Schaub end of story.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I wouldnt be against it. Byron is a good quarterback, he just cant seem to stay healthy.

Luisito23
10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I like Byron.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!

scott51
10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I dont think Jacksonville has lost any faith in Leftwich he is hurt right now. And one thing Garrad has shown over the years is that he is a good back up. He has never over whelmingly pressure Leftwich for the position.

If you want to trade for a Backup you look at Schaub end of story.

I don't want a backup for another team, there must be a reason he's a backup (unless the team has a franchise qb manning, favre...etc). I want to get a rookie like Brady Quinn who actually is expected to have some potential! Thats my opinion

OpIv37
10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
How are we "hosed" if JP isn't the future? If he isn't, we release hime and move on. We draft Brady Quinn and sit back and enjoy...

because even someone like Brady Quinn will take 2-3 years to develop into a solid NFL QB. In the meantime, we'll lose players to FA, age, injuries, etc and it will be like constantly rebuilding. Guys like McGahee and Evans are in their prime now and we're missing out on their talent by lacking solid play from the QB position.

If JP continues on his current pace, expect another 2-3 losing seasons after this one while we groom another QB.

And as of right now, we're not quite bad enough to get Quinn- Marv would really have to fork over to trade up high enough to get him.

scott51
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
because even someone like Brady Quinn will take 2-3 years to develop into a solid NFL QB. In the meantime, we'll lose players to FA, age, injuries, etc and it will be like constantly rebuilding. Guys like McGahee and Evans are in their prime now and we're missing out on their talent by lacking solid play from the QB position.

If JP continues on his current pace, expect another 2-3 losing seasons after this one while we groom another QB.

And as of right now, we're not quite bad enough to get Quinn- Marv would really have to fork over to trade up high enough to get him.

Maybe and maybe not. I mean look at Eli Manning he had a pretty rough 1st season and then really turned it around his 2nd year. Plus, I believe if we have a quarterback who is expected to perform and actually shows promise, those FA's are more likely to stick around.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Byron has alot of potential, and he is still young. He has shown leadership and flashes of brilliance. This is the only possible FA name, that I've heard worthy of consideration. Potential, youth, flashes of brilliance and leadership. Only knock, is injuries. Thats why Gerrard is even getting a chance. Leftwich hasnt started a full season for the Jag's yet.

kernowboy
10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Over the next 3 drafts, 2007 > 2008 > 2009, there appears to be plenty of top talent coming out at QB and I wonder if we are falling into the trap of desperate seeking out the next big thing. It was Leinart-Young-Cutler last year, Quinn-Smith-Brohm this coming draft, I am sure there will be as equally talented Troika in 2008.

Dilfer won the ring behind a very good Ravens team especially the Defence, and I think we have more fundamental problems than looking at the QB all the time. A great team can carry an OK QB all the way, but a great QB rarely gets an average team to the ring on his own.

I am in favour of looking at fixing the rest of the team first. By all means if a QB we like is released and can be picked up at no cost (Schaub will cost an RFA at present), a QB who is young and who can give Losman sterner competition (Pat Ramsey, 27, former starter with a 75.0 passer rating) or a top QB slips badly in the draft then by all means pick him up but there are some other issues we need to look at first.

1) How do we get the DL interior to stop the run?
2) Will we need to overhaul the LB because Fletch and TKO go?
3) Will the OL changes work and if not how do we fix this?
4) Can Youboty step up and if not what is the solution?
5) Do we need to reconsider the talent at WR/TE beyond Evans?
6) What are we to do about McGahee? will he stay? will he become a destructive element? can we plan to replace him now?

If we can get the bulk of the team fixed in the upcoming draft and in free agency, we can draft a QB in Round 1 in 2008 and with a year of seasoning he could do a BigBen/Steelers for us in 2009.

Though of course I'd ban him from all motorbikes

Ickybaluky
10-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Leftwich does have leadership skills and can read defenses and throw the ball, but he isn't the answer here or in Jacksonville.

Leftwich isn't very mobile and has an elongated delivery that leads to a slow release. He throws the ball downfield well, but doesn't throw touch passes nearly as well. Because he takes so long to setup and throw the ball he gets sacked and hit a lot, which is why he gets hurt.

In short, not a bad QB but is limited in how far he can take a team. You just don't want a QB with a slow delivery in today's NFL, where everyone places a premium at pressuring the passer.

The guy is the black Drew Bledsoe.

Jan Reimers
10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Leftwich is not on his way out in Jacksonville. He is injured. Garrard is a 5 year journeyman backup who threw for a whopping 87 yards on Sunday, and "won" the game only because the Jags played great D, ran well - and Philadelphia stunk.

Leftwich, while frequently injured, is marginally better than Girrard - but I don't want either one. JP at least has potential.

The King
10-30-2006, 02:03 PM
The guy is the black Drew Bledsoe.

Thats how Mel Kiper described him coming out of the draft.

SquishDaFish
10-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Im so sick and tired of seeing threads of what about this Qb and this QB. GET OVER IT JP IS THE QB for next year and BEYOND.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I have no idea why everyone wants us to pick up QBs that have failed to produce somewhere else!
I dont want some one elses leftovers (thats a word play on leftwich ha ha)

Leftwich is dumber then a bag of hammers.

DynaPaul
10-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Leftwich stinks. He's not gonna be any better than JP, I can't believe people are even tossing his name around. The guy is slow as molasses and his release is just as bad. He'd never last behind this o-line. He's gotten a fair shake in Jacksonville, I don't see how anyone thinks he didn't have every opportunity to cement himself as the starter. He just ain't working out. They don't call him Fat Albert for nothing.

SABURZFAN
10-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Im so sick and tired of seeing threads of what about this Qb and this QB. GET OVER IT JP IS THE QB for next year and BEYOND.

:ill:

Saratoga Slim
10-31-2006, 08:20 AM
F Leftwich. He is a good leader. But JP's arm is every bit as strong, and Jp's more mobile. Jp's issues right now are in reading the field quickly enough, and sensing pressure. There's still hope that those issues can be cured with some more experience.

djjimkelly
10-31-2006, 10:31 AM

What do you guys think?

you people are grasping at straws we could protect immobile bledsoe we have issues protecting and giving swift foot losman 5 seconds to throw ball what makes you think the brother version of bledsoe would work.

LOSMAN IS FINE GIVE HIM MORE THE 2 second to throw and stop making him take a 7 step drop every pass play

djjimkelly
10-31-2006, 10:35 AM

op what you say about quinn taking 2-3 years to develope is bang on LOL but what dense fans dont want to get our qb has 15 starts under his belt also in 2 different system had 1 year where he had a broken leg where he didnt get to practice at all. we are half through the development of OUR qb.

get used to it people JP is our guy the team needs to step it up

OpIv37
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
op what you say about quinn taking 2-3 years to develope is bang on LOL but what dense fans dont want to get our qb has 15 starts under his belt also in 2 different system had 1 year where he had a broken leg where he didnt get to practice at all. we are half through the development of OUR qb.

get used to it people JP is our guy the team needs to step it up

seriously, I'm still hoping JP can get it done, but with every bad game the chances of that happening are getting less and less. There's no doubt that the team around him is crap and that certainly makes evaluation more difficult, but at the same time he's made plenty of bad decisions with the ball and has done other things that obviously can't be blamed on anyone else.

He has 9 games to progress and I'm really hoping he does. My fear is the Bills becoming like the Lions with Harrington, Baltimore with Boller, Washington with Ramsey, etc- wasting 3-4 seasons on a QB who ends up being a career back-up.

PECKERWOOD
10-31-2006, 10:45 AM
seriously, I'm still hoping JP can get it done, but with every bad game the chances of that happening are getting less and less. There's no doubt that the team around him is crap and that certainly makes evaluation more difficult, but at the same time he's made plenty of bad decisions with the ball and has done other things that obviously can't be blamed on anyone else.

He has 9 games to progress and I'm really hoping he does. My fear is the Bills becoming like the Lions with Harrington, Baltimore with Boller, Washington with Ramsey, etc- wasting 3-4 seasons on a QB who ends up being a career back-up.
You hit it dead on, I feel the same way. With every bad performance JP gives us, the more reluctant the coaches and us fans are with giving him another shot. I still got hope for the guy, but if this play continues for the remainder of the season, he is gone.