So Where are all the Leinart Lovers Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

So Where are all the Leinart Lovers Now?

One good game and you all were ready to fire Marv?

Passing Statistics
    NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
    Matt Leinart 79 153 899 51.6 5.88 58 5 3.3 5 3.3 13 101 66.9
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: So Where are all the Leinart Lovers Now?

It's a "What have you done for me lately" world.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

I feel no less about Leinart than I did early in the season. He will be a good NFL player, despite his struggles the last couple weeks. Arizona is a very disfunctional franchise right now, but Leinarts long-term prognosis is still great. He will be a very good NFL QB, IMO.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Leinart has had 3 -4 games. I'm confident in his abilities based on nearly 40 college wins , 2 national championship games, and his accomplishments

If you are trying to justify JP as a better QB or an equal based on comparing him to leinart- you are soooooooo way off base.

JP stinks. Get used to it.

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          Leinart has had 3 -4 games. I'm confident in his abilities based on nearly 40 college wins , 2 national championship games, and his accomplishments

If you are trying to justify JP as a better QB or an equal based on comparing him to leinart- you are soooooooo way off base.

JP stinks. Get used to it.
          Well said. I'm pulling for J.P. to turn it around, but he hasn't shown it yet. I still believe Leinart will be a very good NFL quarterback.

Jon

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Realistically, it's too early to tell with Leinart, just as it is with JP. But at least JP has the arm strength to throw into the winds of the Ralph, which I believe is one of the reasons we drafted him. I'm not sure Leinart has the requisite arm strength.

Just like there are QBs for systems, there are also QBs for stadiums/weather conditions. At least JP has a chance at the Ralph.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Leinart is a rookie. And yet even with his mistakes he has still shown more poise than JP who is in his 3rd year (regardless of his overall playing time he has still been in and around the NFL for 3 years)

Comment

• Mudflap1
                Next Question!
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                Realistically, it's too early to tell with Leinart, just as it is with JP. But at least JP has the arm strength to throw into the winds of the Ralph, which I believe is one of the reasons we drafted him. I'm not sure Leinart has the requisite arm strength.

Just like there are QBs for systems, there are also QBs for stadiums/weather conditions. At least JP has a chance at the Ralph.
                You know, I don't like the "arm strength" argument. The great Jim Kelly had a total rag arm his last 3-4 seasons, and he got the job done quite well. It's not like Leinart's arm is jelly.

I think the better argument for why Leinart wouldn't have fit in Buffalo is because of the lifestyle. It's a blue-coller town which requires a certain kind of person (like a Jim Kelly) for the city to embrace. Leinart, while extremely talented, is more a Hollywood-type of guy. NYC would have suit him well, similar to Joe Namath, but not Buffalo.

That being said, I'm with Dozer, if I had to choose a guy, I'd choose Leinart, hands down.

Jon

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

I don't buy it. Tom Brady has proven you can play QB in crap weather and not have the cannon of an arm like a Bledsoe, Joe Ferguson, or JP Losman.

If anything- guys with arm strength that can defeat most weather have zero touch or finesse. Brett Favres are the rare exception

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

I really dont care what Leinart does.. I understand our decision to go with JP this year, and if we would of taken Leinart this draft, we would have questions about JP still. What is happening now, is a needed process to determine which direction this franchise has to take.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      I don't buy it. Tom Brady has proven you can play QB in crap weather and not have the cannon of an arm like a Bledsoe, Joe Ferguson, or JP Losman.

If anything- guys with arm strength that can defeat most weather have zero touch or finesse. Brett Favres are the rare exception
                      Brady's a great example.

Jon

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                        You know, I don't like the "arm strength" argument. The great Jim Kelly had a total rag arm his last 3-4 seasons, and he got the job done quite well. It's not like Leinart's arm is jelly.

I think the better argument for why Leinart wouldn't have fit in Buffalo is because of the lifestyle. It's a blue-coller town which requires a certain kind of person (like a Jim Kelly) for the city to embrace. Leinart, while extremely talented, is more a Hollywood-type of guy. NYC would have suit him well, similar to Joe Namath, but not Buffalo.

That being said, I'm with Dozer, if I had to choose a guy, I'd choose Leinart, hands down.

Jon
                        Amazing. Once more, opinion trumps fact.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mudflap1
                          Next Question!
                          • Nov 2004

Amazing. Once more, opinion trumps fact.
                          What is your friggin' problem? I'm actually making an argument that while I think Leinart is the superior player, he may not have worked out in Buffalo because of his personality and the lifestyle, which supports yours and lot of people's arguments that Marv made the right choice not drafting him. Yet you are arguing with me?

What about your argument above that reads very much as if Losman is the more talented player than Leinart? How does that make any sense? You have a guy who transferred from UCLA because he couldn't start, was on a losing team at a low-ranking I-A school, and you have the most decorated college QB arguably ever who played in a pro-style offense with pro-caliber players and pro situations. How can you even put Losman and Leinart on an equal plane right now?

I'm all for Losman turning it around. Let me be clear: TURNING IT AROUND, which means PLAYING THE OPPOSITE OF BADLY.

It's time people stop defending this kid in every situation. Support, yes, but defend, no. Those are two different things. Losman needs to put the big boy pants on and start to play better. That doesn't mean the team is going to necessarily play better, but he has to start doing his part, which he hasn't done yet. And he needs to start leading by example.

Jon

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BidsJr
                            One good game and you all were ready to fire Marv?

Passing Statistics
                            NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
                            Matt Leinart 79 153 899 51.6 5.88 58 5 3.3 5 3.3 13 101 66.9
                            They are busy licking Tony Romos balls.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                              Brady's a great example.

Jon
                              It gets pretty windy in San Francisco, no?

Just saying, because I don't think Joe Montana or Steve Young had trouble being successful there, and neither of them had strong arms.

Arm strength is overrated. What good is it throwing the ball far if you can't put it where it is supposed to go?

I always remember the story about Kyle Boller, who wowed scouts at the combine with his arm by throwing the ball through the endzone from 65 yards away on his knees. There is a skill that has helped him.

Comment

Working...
                              X