PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Miller on Jime Rome on Radio

chernobylwraiths
11-01-2006, 11:10 AM
wgr550.com

I think he is the new face of the NHL. If the NHL wants to become something the average American wants to watch, you need an American superstar. Maybe Ryan can be that. It would be better if there could be another great American scorer like Pat Lafontaine, but a great goaltender could help.

Ebenezer
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I take it nobody listened??

chernobylwraiths
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I listened. Rome seemed complimentary of the Buffalo area.

I heard also that Miller was named the first star for the month of October.

American interest in hockey could hinge on this guy.

Ebenezer
11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
I listened. Rome seemed complimentary of the Buffalo area.

I heard also that Miller was named the first star for the month of October.

American interest in hockey could hinge on this guy.
nice dream...won't happen.

chernobylwraiths
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
nice dream...won't happen.

Americans will always get behind an American. Look at cycling.

Now if Miller can help Buffalo win a cup and win the Conn Smyth, then American might start to take notice.

Ebenezer
11-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Now if Miller can help Buffalo win a cup and win the Conn Smyth, then American might start to take notice.
7 Tour De Frances and the average American couldn't name another cyclist and this past year didn't even pay attention...

SabreEleven
11-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Would 7 Stanley Cups in a row help?

chernobylwraiths
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
7 Tour De Frances and the average American couldn't name another cyclist and this past year didn't even pay attention...

Once they retire, they obviously won't care. Especially since the newest American who won the tour cheated.

Miller is young and has a long career ahead of him. If people start to consider him the best, more Americans will take notice. Obviously, it would need more Americans.

I heard a stat today that Miller's jersey is the number 1 jersey sold right now. Why do you think that is?

chernobylwraiths
11-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Would 7 Stanley Cups in a row help?

If an American is the face of that team, you're damned right it would. Why else do you think they try to make Drury the face of the team? Sad to say, but if this game is to get popular in America, it will have to have an American face first.

Bufftp
11-01-2006, 08:23 PM

I think you have a point here Chern. It will depend on if the NHL markets it that way.

Bufftp
11-01-2006, 08:23 PM
If an American is the face of that team, you're damned right it would. Why else do you think they try to make Drury the face of the team? Sad to say, but if this game is to get popular in America, it will have to have an American face first.
Excellent point.

Ebenezer
11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Regardless who wins the cup and whose face is the lead...I don't think the NHL will be any more popular in traditional non-hockey areas as it is today.

Philagape
11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I think fans will come to see great players regardless of their nationality. I don't think being Canadian hurt Gretzky's or Lemieux's appeal in the States. Gretzky made hockey popular on the West Coast, and Lemieux saved hockey in Pittsburgh twice (as Crosby still might). Messier was worshipped in New York.
Since it's not an individual sport like cycling, a hockey player needs to be a megastar of the Gretzky-Lemieux caliber to influence fan interest. If there's ever an American Gretzky, he could make a difference, but I think playing in the States is more important than being born in the States as far as fan interest. Do casual sports fans even know Miller is American?

Ebenezer
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
I think fans will come to see great players regardless of their nationality. I don't think being Canadian hurt Gretzky's or Lemieux's appeal in the States. Gretzky made hockey popular on the West Coast, and Lemieux saved hockey in Pittsburgh twice (as Crosby still might). Messier was worshipped in New York.
Since it's not an individual sport like cycling, a hockey player needs to be a megastar of the Gretzky-Lemieux caliber to influence fan interest. If there's ever an American Gretzky, he could make a difference, but I think playing in the States is more important than being born in the States as far as fan interest. Do casual sports fans even know Miller is American?
the casual fan probably doesn't even know Miller is the starting goalie for the Sabres...just because his jersey is the #1 seller doesn't matter...the casual, non-Buffalonian fan isn't going to buy a Sabres jersey