PDA

View Full Version : Jon Ryan, Punter for the Packers

Valerie
11-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Even though we're obviously rooting against Green Bay this weekend, I thought this was a nice article.

Packers punter Jon Ryan gives his father Bob, whos dying of cancer, a hug in the tunnel at Lambeau Field during warm-ups before the Cardinals game on Sunday.

So when the doctors told Bob Ryan he would need half his body amputated, more tumors removed from his lungs and who knows what else just to stay alive, Ryan could not agree.

"He said he wanted to live, not survive," said his son, Jon Ryan. "He said, 'That's no way for a man to live.' "

So 54-year-old Bob Ryan, in acute pain, with his severely swollen leg his constant reminder that he is dying from cancer, decided to get on with his living.

Last weekend he left Regina, Saskatchewan, and flew to Wisconsin to see his 24-year-old son Jon punt for his beloved NFL team, the Green Bay Packers.

"Before the game he said his pain was zero, which was remarkable," said Jon.

If it's interesting that the Packers have a punter from Canada, it's fascinating that the Ryan family members are Packers fans. Football is pretty big in Canada. It's not as big as hockey, but it doesn't appear that Jon Ryan's destiny was in that game anyway.

"My dad is the ultimate sports dad," said Jon Ryan. "I played five or six sports and he would be at every one of my games. He was never that dad up in the stands yelling. I remember I played hockey, and there'd be games I'd play terrible, at goalie. I'd let in like 10 goals, and some dads are yelling at their sons and my dad would just say, 'Good job, you'll get 'em next time.' "

Bob's NFL team has been Green Bay for more than 40 years, which may or may not have influenced Jon to turn down more money with the New York Giants to try out here.

Bob Ryan's tumors originated in his leg and hip and the cancer weakened his bones to the point that when he slipped, he broke his femur. Then the cancer spread.

"The tumor burst out of the bone and started to grow like crazy. He felt like he could see it get bigger almost daily," said Jon's mother, Barb Ryan.

Because this cancer doesn't respond to chemotherapy or radiation, Bob expected to treat it with a hind quarter amputation, almost up to his waist. But the tumors had spread to Bob's lungs and the other hip as well.

"Surgery was out of the question," Barb added. "So they just diagnosed him as terminal and sent him back home, and we're doing our best to look after him."

The day before the Packers' game against Arizona, Ryan's agent, Gil Scott, CFL Saskatchewan Roughrider president Jim Hopson and Regina businessman Paul Hill collaborated to get a private jet to send the Ryan family to Lambeau.

Packers equipment manager Red Batty, a Montreal native, arranged a private box for the family at a discount to Ryan, who makes the NFL minimum salary.

Batty had vans pick up the Ryan family at the airport tarmac and sent them first to the southeast tunnel, which was a surprise to Jon.

After warm-ups, Jon threw his arms around his father when he saw him on the field.

"I lost it," said Jon. "It was a moment that I'll never, ever forget. That was probably as special of a moment I'll ever have in my life."

Batty introduced Bob to several other players who filed by with high-fives and well wishes. Brett Favre leaned in to Bob a little longer.

"Try to make it so Jon doesn't have to punt too much today," Bob Ryan told Favre.

"I'll do my best," the quarterback said.

Jon had to pace along the sidelines before the game, composing himself so much so that neither kicker Dave Rayner nor special teams coach Mike Stock detected anything unusual.

"Jon's pretty mentally strong," said Rayner. "I think he was just so excited to have his father there."

Ryan punted twice for a 53-yard average in the Packers' 31-14 victory. After the game, Packers coach Mike McCarthy greeted Bob. Then Barb, Jon's sisters, Erica Honaway and Jill Scheer, and more family spent additional time with Jon. The Ryans only wished that youngest brother Steve could have been there, but he is in the middle of college football in Canada.

"A perfect ending to a perfect day," said Barb. "It was pretty emotional. I think Jon really thought he might have seen his dad for the last time when he came home for the bye week. You know, he's so close to his dad, he's so much like his dad. So this opportunity came up and it was amazing. We were over the moon."

Ryan has surprised mostly everyone with his strong leg on punts, and Stock said he admired Ryan for playing so well under the circumstances.

When Ryan punts in his eighth career NFL game Sunday at Buffalo, his family will be back at home in Regina with the projection screen TV they bought to watch the Packers games, eating chips from a Packer helmet and still talking about the three Halloween trick or treaters they had in Packers uniforms (two No. 4s, and even one little redhead wearing No. 9, Jon Ryan's number).

"It's a helpless feeling being so far away," Ryan said. "But at the same time, playing football may help my family. That's an escape for them, to spend three hours a week just not thinking about cancer."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=526624

G. Host
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Good story.
Too bad that bad things did not only happen to bad people.

pintonick96
11-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Stories like this are why I love football.

don137
11-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Great story...Sounds like a great Dad and a great person...

Mitchy moo
11-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Jon is our enemy for ~3 hours on sunday, then he's great from there on out. Lets not lose focus here.

goodkarma
11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Nice story, thanks.

Inetpub
11-03-2006, 10:13 PM
FYI,

The kid came from the CFL. Who would have thought a kid punter from the CFL would be able to boot the damn ball as far as he does. Never drafted. Played 1 year CFL with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and signed with Green Bay. Thats part of his story. Kind of a feel good Cinderella story.

PECKERWOOD
11-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Very sad story, love your family and friends while you still have them.

Valerie
11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
WooHoo!!! I started a thread worthy of the main board! :curtsey: