PDA

View Full Version : Bengals preparing to part with Spikes...

Romes
02-27-2003, 10:16 PM
This is the latest update on Spikes. Right, now I'm not to sure we will get Spikes because he might be to expensive. I don't want to make it appear that this article and these quotes seem to suggest that the Bengals are ready to let Spikes go, just that they are preparing if he does. They don't appear very confident that he will be a bengal next year.

The pattern has already been established with some of the contacts the club has set up this week, which should turn into free-agent visits next week. With leading tackler Takeo Spikes nowhere near a long-term deal just hours from free agency, the Bengals are examining market linebackers for the first time in years.

“We’re doing evaluations of some other guys,” Lewis said. “We’re going to be prepared to do things if we allow Takeo to leave.”

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1720#cont

Ingtar33
02-27-2003, 10:24 PM
good news

ublinkwescore
02-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Come to Buffalo Takeo.

You guys think we could get Spikes in a deal like this?

Sign him for 2 1/2 million the first 2 years, and then we'll bump your salary up to 4.5 million the last 3 years. 5 years for 18 million in salary, and a 7 million dollar signing bonus sounds fair to me.

What about you guys?

Would that be reasonable in your opinions?

There's a lot of dead weight that we could cut still.

I just wish the PP issue would hurry up and get over with.

Romes
02-27-2003, 10:48 PM
He will be at least $4-5 mil a year. CP says more around $7 mil

venis2k1
02-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Depends on how the deal is stuctured, but he wont come cheap....

venis2k1
02-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Good find Romes BTW....

ublinkwescore
02-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Under the potential contract I put together, he'd be getting exactly that.

venis2k1
02-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Hard to tell, depends how much other teams want him.

WG
02-27-2003, 11:06 PM
I see $5M being an absolute minimum for Spikes. He should sign a 5-year $30M deal would be my guess given all the hoopla.

We have no shot at him unless Price's tag is released. It'd be almost our entire budget.

ublinkwescore
02-27-2003, 11:11 PM
Bye Bye Price.

ublinkwescore
02-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Even with this flooded LB market?

The Falcons signing Brooking to a ridiculous amount shouldn't surprise anyone - Atlanta hasn't exactly shown itself to be a smart ballclub.

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
We have no shot at him unless Price's tag is released. It'd be almost our entire budget.
This is a given. Spikes or not, we're going to let go of Price either way.

Halbert
02-28-2003, 05:54 AM
I don't think signing the top name to big bucks is TD's style. I think it's far more likely that he'll sign more 2nd and 3rd tier players to address our numerous weak spots than 1 or 2 big names (including PP).

don137
02-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Brookings and Spikes are close to the same level and Brooking received I believe a 7 year 40 million contract. Spikes will be looking for around the same. Since he is the best of the linebacking crew someone will give what he wants.

Michael82
02-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Seahawks | Simmons Re-signed - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:30 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com the Seattle Seahawks have re-signed LB Anthony Simmons to a five-year contract that is worth $24 million and includes an $8.5 million signing bonus.

Something tells me Spikes could be a 5-year contract worth $32 Million and a $10 Million signing bonus.

askabry
02-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Market value for Takeo was set when Anthony Simmons signed that ridiculous deal yesterday for 5 years, $24MM (especially considering the deal signed by Sam Cowart earlier for 5 years, $15MM).

Spikes gets at least Simmons money, and more like Trotter cash. 5 years, $26MM-27 would be my guess, with around $8 of that in SB.

justasportsfan
02-28-2003, 07:53 AM
I like Spikes, but there will be more FA's we will need to sign in the next season. I wouldn't mind being like the Ravens . SB win win one year and then not having anything the next year. I just want a SB win.

We can avoid that though. Would signing a lesser LB than Spikes make us skip a heartbeat?

askabry
02-28-2003, 07:55 AM
I honestly think you could sign a Mike Peterson for more like Cowart money (5 years, $16.5MM), leaving plenty of cash for a safety and a DT.

Novacane
02-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Peter King said on his radio show this week to look for Arizona to make a huge offer to Spikes. They have around 25 million under the cap so if King is right, I don't see us competing with them.

ublinkwescore
02-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Ahh, but the problem with that is that Spikes "Just wants to compete" will he be able to do that in Arizona?

Hell no. If Takeo Spikes is dumb enough to jump from one crappy ballclub to another, then I don't want him at all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you probably aren't going to do anything in Arizona, or Minnesota for that matter. New Orleans is questionable though - if they can keep their heads screwed on right, they can be the best team in the league, unfortunately they haven't been able to do that, and players wives sleeping with other players isn't going to help their cases at all.

We are the best fit for Takeo - if he wants to contribute to a team that will enable him to compete.

justasportsfan
02-28-2003, 09:41 AM
We may be the best fit for Spikes , but will he be the best fit for us because of his price? I have a feeling Spikes will end up with the Saints. Hasslet wants him and even said he wouldn't mind giving him the $$$.

ublinkwescore
02-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Then let Takeo go to Nawleans - it really won't be our loss as long as we get on the ball, and get Peterson - who will probably be cheaper, and enable us to go after a DT a la McGlockton to free up our LBs.

askabry
02-28-2003, 10:03 AM
I've read the 'Zona bashing elsewheres, and frankly its overdone. Zona has $36MM to spend; they are going to get their playmakers. They have the #5 and #37 picks in the draft. And the last few drafts left them with some good players.

Plus, they have the foresight to let David Boston go, indicating management is starting to grasp somethings.

'Zona is a coming club, and frankly I think they'll be pretty darn good this year- maybe better than Buffalo.

colin
02-28-2003, 11:45 AM
I don't think you can say simmons set the market, not when there have been much larger (Brookings) and smaller (KC guy, cowart) contracts for LBs. The market is all over the place, and stupid teams (Atlanta) will always be ******ed.

ublinkwescore
02-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Well put Colin - I couldn't agree with you more. Their Superbowl year, and this past year is just a flash in the pan. Next year, they'll make the playoffs, but they won't do anything. The year after that, they'll be the same old falcons.

askabry
10-13-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by askabry
I've read the 'Zona bashing elsewheres, and frankly its overdone. Zona has $36MM to spend; they are going to get their playmakers. They have the #5 and #37 picks in the draft. And the last few drafts left them with some good players.

Plus, they have the foresight to let David Boston go, indicating management is starting to grasp somethings.

'Zona is a coming club, and frankly I think they'll be pretty darn good this year- maybe better than Buffalo.

you see ... <b>this</b> is a guy with some insight into football. He mentions the draft (and Zona winds up with only the ROY); mentions David Boston-bust; and says that Zona might just be better than Buffalo.

rotflmao... just kidding. I went looking for my last post hereabouts and came up with this.