PDA

View Full Version : Greatest QB rivalries of all time!

Devin
11-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Marino and Kelly's careers could not have been more intertwined. They're both from western Pennsylvania, both were in the vaunted quarterback class of 1983 and both played in the AFC East. Marino generally put up better numbers throughout their rivalry, but Kelly's Bills won more often throughout the late '80s and early `90s.

#4 all time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0611/gallery.nfl.qbrivals/content.1.html

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Good post Devin, it will be tainted shortly when it turns into another JP thread.. :o)

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Speaking of Kelly versus Marino, there is no doubt in my mind. If we would have won atleast one of those four superbowls, Kelly would be widely known as the better QB, imo.

Mr. Cynical
11-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Marino was a better passer (quickest release I have ever seen in my life). Kelly was a better/tougher leader. Each had his strengths - both were great QBs. But if I had to choose which QB to build my team around I'd have to give the nod to Marino (just being honest). Shula failed to build a real running game which is why IMO Marino never went back to the SB. Had he had Thurmal, it would have been a different story.

But anyway....yes, it was truly special to have two great gunslinging QBs with grit and leadership in the same division fighting it out every year. You don't see that anymore as so many QBs are "system" QBs these days (I don't buy the Brady-Manning rivalry at all). Once Favre retires he will be the last of that era.

YardRat
11-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I would've had Bradshaw/Stabler rated higher than #10.

I don't consider Young/Marino, Unitas/Namath, Marino/Montana rivalries at all.

ParanoidAndroid
11-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I would've had Bradshaw/Stabler rated higher than #10.

I don't consider Young/Marino, Unitas/Namath, Marino/Montana rivalries at all.

They weren't rivalries on the field but they are characters in many debates about who was better. Kind of dumb if you ask me, so I agree with your point.

justasportsfan
11-05-2006, 10:08 AM
That list is bogus. How come Flutie vs. Johnson is not on that list? :D

LtFinFan66
11-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Nice!!

Marvelous
11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Bring back the 90's blue jersey!!!! Seeing Kelly in that pic to me is US

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Good post Devin, it will be tainted shortly when it turns into another JP thread.. :o)
how could they have left off the list the great :
JP Losman/Heath Shuler rivelry?
HA! Just kidding! :)

GarnOFreak
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey Thurman did go to Miami for a year.....lol...was Marino still with the team then?