PDA

View Full Version : Terrance Pennington

YardRat
11-05-2006, 09:41 AM
<TABLE class=cnnContent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class="cnnContent cnnNoBorder" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="cnnHeadline1 cnnBold cnnLeft cnnXLarge cnnBorderGray0110">Terrence Pennington </TD><TD class="cnnTitle cnnNoBold cnnXLarge cnnEndCell cnnBorderGray0010">Grade: 3.29 </TD></TR><TR><TD class="cnnData1 cnnLeft cnnMedium cnnBorderGray0010" vAlign=top> Position: T (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/breakdowns/by_position/ot.html)
Class: Sr
School: New Mexico (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/breakdowns/by_school/newmex.html)
Conference: Mountain West (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/breakdowns/by_conference/mwest.html)
Ht., Wt.: 6-7.5, 325
40 Time: 5.38
Selected by: Buffalo Bills (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/teams/bills.html)
Round 7 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/breakdowns/by_round/7.html), pick 8 (216 overall) </TD><TD class="cnnDataRed cnnBold cnnSmall cnnEndCell cnnBorderGray0010" vAlign=top>
Grading System (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/grading_system/)

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/logos/bills_100.gif </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR class="cnnData1 cnnMedium"><TD class="cnnEndCell cnnNoBorder cnnWrap cnnLeft" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" colSpan=2>BIO: Two-year starter used at both strong and quick tackle.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized blocker best on the strong side. Works to bend his knees, stays square and turns opponents off the line. Effective position blocker who walls defenders from the action. Displays terrific hand punch and has powerful hands. Holds the point in pass protection.

NEGATIVES: Not light on his feet, lacks adjustment and does not run block with great balance. Gets sloppy and at times looks soft.

ANALYSIS: Flashing skill, Pennington has size and growth potential yet needs to pick up the intensity and improve his run-blocking for a spot in the NFL.

PROJECTION: Early Seventh Round </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

HHURRICANE
11-05-2006, 09:49 AM
When everybody starts realizing that we don't have alot of talent on this team than maybe we will start getting somewhere. The fact that we are starting a 7th round rookie today is pretty good sign of why we aren't going to win alot of games.

We will need one of the most miraculous off-seasons between FA and the draft just to get above .500 and I'm not joking.

Playoffs are more than likely 2 years away.

YardRat
11-05-2006, 09:53 AM
You haven't even seen Pennington play for an extended amount of time in a regular season game yet. How about giving the guy a chance?

justasportsfan
11-05-2006, 09:53 AM
He's the next Peters. Huge but athletic.

HHURRICANE
11-05-2006, 10:01 AM
You haven't even seen Pennington play for an extended amount of time in a regular season game yet. How about giving the guy a chance?

Read my post!!! I never said anything bad about Pennington. All I said is that our team is pretty desperate for talent especially in light of the fact that we are starting a 7th round rookie today at RT.

Read the post correctly before calling people out.

YardRat
11-05-2006, 10:07 AM
I don't think it was unfair of me to interpret your post as indicating that you think someone 'more talented' than the 7th round draft pick should be starting for the team, which further insinuates that you're not confident about Pennington's capabilities.

And I didn't call anybody out.

ParanoidAndroid
11-05-2006, 10:07 AM
We've seen quite a few players emerge from the later rounds. Why not him?

justasportsfan
11-05-2006, 10:09 AM
He did beat out Butler for the starting job which is a good sign.

BillsFever21
11-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Another negative. He sucks. Has he blocked anybody today?

SquishDaFish
11-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Hes a damn rookie playing against one of the best DE in the game give him a damn break man,.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2006, 03:22 PM
He gave up a couple sacks, and we never ran on the right side for a reason. We will find someone at RT next season, I'm pretty sure of it.

Elminster
11-05-2006, 03:27 PM
He gave up sacks....to Aaron Kampman. Wasnn't he tied for the league-lead before today? I'd say he's pretty damned good....but JP didn't fumble. I'd guess that's partly a function of where the sacks were coming from. Much easier to protect the ball when you know you're getting hit.

But seriously guys, he's a 7th-round pick. He still has a lot to learn, but he's cracked the starting line-up and has all the right physical tools. Give him some time...

patmoran2006
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
He was totally overmatched today..

Bmax
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I can remember when Guys like Ken Jones And Howard Balld first played as young players and they were terrible ....So let's give the guy a little more time at least two games....(KIDDING).......How about till the end of the season .. or next season.. Look we will at least have a young guy with a little experience next season. When we can either bring a vet RT or rookie draft pick say 2nd -4 th rd .. I think our real problem is guard...Villiari was man handled today....I would go high say 2nd rd to find a rg who could step up and play.....Villiari is old and decling rapidly......

Thoughts ?

Bmax

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I can remember when Guys like Ken Jones And Howard Balld first played as young players and they were terrible ....So let's give the guy a little more time at least two games....(KIDDING).......How about till the end of the season .. or next season.. Look we will at least have a young guy with a little experience next season. When we can either bring a vet RT or rookie draft pick say 2nd -4 th rd .. I think our real problem is guard...Villiari was man handled today....I would go high say 2nd rd to find a rg who could step up and play.....Villiari is old and decling rapidly......

Thoughts ?

Bmax

There is a guard I want in the 3rd round.. His name is Mike Jones, from Iowa. And no, I dont want him because he is named after a ****ty rapper.

TigerJ
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
There is a guard I want in the 3rd round.. His name is Mike Jones, from Iowa. And no, I dont want him because he is named after a ****ty rapper.

You like him because he has a terriffic last name? (Mine!)

Elminster
11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I could go for a nice big guard in the 3rd! If Pennington improves.....that may just be the only missing piece for our oline! Ain't that a scary thought?

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I could go for a nice big guard in the 3rd! If Pennington improves.....that may just be the only missing piece for our oline! Ain't that a scary thought?
Honestly, Right Tackle is probably more of a priority. I think Merz will make a fine RG, he played well against NE. I'm not very happy with Penningtons first appearance, however.

ParanoidAndroid
11-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Samson Setele. He is an animal.

I think we need to give Pennington more time.

Did anyone else notice how much pressure came up the middle? We are weak at guard.

don137
11-05-2006, 06:29 PM
While he did not have a stellar game this is only one game. The kid needs some more time before you pull the plug on him.

Bmax
11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
What about Justin Blaylock in rd 1 --at pick 10-15..the texas RG who is better suited for Guard...6-4 -329.. I know Mike Williams wen their but so did Davis and Vince young....The kid can play ...When looking for linemen remeber Reuben Brown was a ot at pitt....So it's likely or next OG could converted College Tackles....

Bmax

YardRat
11-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I didn't think Pennington did too shabby today considering he's a rookie, he's starting his first game, and he's lined up against the league sack leader.

As for the propensity of runs to the left side of the line, it was much more evident today but actually has been a trend all year for this offense. The majority of Willis' better runs all season were coming over the left side when Gandy and Reyes were lining up, and the right side of the line was the weak point on the rushing attack.

And, yes, the middle looked weak today...especially against the pass.

Bert102176
11-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I think for whome he was going against he did well not great or good but well

GarnOFreak
11-06-2006, 12:33 AM
FYI for people talking draft pick for next year, our current spot is 13th pick overall. I would really like to see us grab an OL at that spot unless we vastly improve from here on out. We did do a couple runs to the right side late in the game...loved the reverse that went left after faking a right side sweep. Getting better on the OL will be the best fix for our offense, I justr hope they gel faster so we can enjoy NOT punting 8 times every game (props to Moorman...hope he can walk tomorrow, I sooooo appreciate him over say...Chris Mohr)

TigerJ
11-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Pennington is getting his tryout right now. He may or may not work out at RT. I'd say he got a C- yesterday, but Kampmann is very good. Give him a little time. Villarrial gets an F, and he's got no excuses. That's where the Bills need to focus. It's still possible the answer at RG is on the roster now. Reyes is still not 100% I guess, and there's no way the Bills were going to put two rookies next to each other (Merz and Pennington). I presume they're reluctant to put a second year player (Preston) next to Pennington. If Villarrial continues to struggle, I think we might see Reyes at RG in a couple games. Villarrial is stronger than Reyes. The Bills may not be able to run much to that side at all, but they should be able to run left with pretty good success now with Peters and Gandy paired up. I think any decision about what to do in the offseason depends on what happens on the right side of the line between now and the end of the season.

mysticsoto
11-06-2006, 09:02 AM
FYI for people talking draft pick for next year, our current spot is 13th pick overall. I would really like to see us grab an OL at that spot unless we vastly improve from here on out. We did do a couple runs to the right side late in the game...loved the reverse that went left after faking a right side sweep. Getting better on the OL will be the best fix for our offense, I justr hope they gel faster so we can enjoy NOT punting 8 times every game (props to Moorman...hope he can walk tomorrow, I sooooo appreciate him over say...Chris Mohr)

I disagree with this. Given that teams can run on us at will, we might need to concentrate at the DT position with our 1st pick (yes, even if we had a late 1st round grab last year). I'm thinking that the smaller, lighter, quicker DTs is backfiring and not a good idea. I personally prefer someone big and fast in the Sam Adams mold that can plug the middle, but can also charge at the QB if necessary. I think someone like Alan Branch (6'6", 331 lbs) might fit that bill.

You can generally still get decent Oline people in the mid-rounds. Just b'cse you grab a top O-line prospect does not mean they are necessarily the best. Mike Williams is a testament to that, but so are other prospects like Robert Gallery...

I'm willing to give Pennington a chance (and Butler can get an opportunity next year if he bulks up a bit), but I'd say a guard to replace Villarial is probably more important and you can still get decent guards in the 3rd or early 4th round...

If we don't keep Clements, we have to keep CB in mind probably for the 2nd rd. And if we don't keep McGahee, that's another position we may need to keep in mind...

An Olineman in the 1st rd is both unlikely and improbable.

jamze132
11-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Are you serious? All we need is a Guard if Pennington pans out? What about a Center and the other Guard position? I will leave it up to you as to which one you like since I think they both need to get better.

THATHURMANATOR
11-06-2006, 09:34 AM
IF Pennington/Butler pans out we still need 2 guards and a center.