PDA

View Full Version : Offensive woes

YardRat
11-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Re-arrange the following list to show your opinion on what the problems with the Bills offense are, from worst to least. Imagine you're Marv Levy and creating the 'priority list' for improving the offense the rest of the year and the ensuing off-season.

Lack of talent at QB.
Lack of talent on the offensive line.
Lack of talent at running back.
Lack of talent at wide receiver.
Lack of talent at tight end.
Coaching, in general.
Gameplanning and play-calling.

Whick would you address first? Which one last, or not at all?

TigerJ
11-06-2006, 08:02 AM
As far as I'm concerned Losman gets the whole year. It's still possible to do some tinkering on the offensive line (right guard spot) and that's where I'd start this year. I think we're OK at WR myself. I'd like to see what Everett can do at TE. I was disappoinnted in Royal's drops yesterday, though at least one of them was a real tough catch had he managed to hold on. I don't mind the running back situation at all except that I don't think Shaud Williams as the third RB gives the team many options at all when injuries occur. I think the coaching might be OK. If the team continues to make mental errors at the same clip next year, then my opinion on that will definitely change.

Drive 4 Five
11-06-2006, 08:16 AM
"Lack of talent at the QB position." What gives?

:scratch:

Drive 4 Five
11-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I think once we get our line shaped up, this offense is going to make some noise. I would also like to upgrade the talent at the TE position as well, but otherwise we're fine.

Night Train
11-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Lack of talent at QB.
Coaching, in general.

Whick would you address first? Which one last, or not at all?

QB - Marv signed Nall and Jauron may have to use him until the next young guy comes along. Losman may be blowing his chance.

OL - Obvious. At least 3 picks in the draft.

RB- A. Thomas is a good backup but they may need to find someone else, instead of Willis. He's not worth the $$ Rosenhaus will ask for.

WR- Outside of Evans, they ALL stink.

TE- Royal can block but has dropped several balls. Everett not getting opportunities.

Coaching- Marv picked Jauron and will dig in until it becomes unbearable. I doubt anything happens until at least after 2007.

D- getting better a little at a time. Will need a big MLB to replace Fletcher. Wouldn't be surprised if Spikes is a cap cut this off-season.

O - Why is Fairchild rolling out Losman more to his right, to avoid the turnovers and sacks ?

YardRat
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
"Lack of talent at the QB position." What gives?

:scratch:

If you don't think there is a lack of talent at the QB position, then it would be at the bottom of your list...a low priority.

Jeff1220
11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
-obvious to most.

(PUSH) Lack of talent at QB. Lack of talent at wide receiver.
-JP is a huge '?' but it doesn't look good. Part of the QB problems have to do w/WRs that can't get open.

-Royals dropsies opened my eyes to this big-time.

The rest:
Coaching, in general.

bflojohn
11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
The best teams in this league have DOMINANT O-lines, and the Bills are FAR from that category! First and third rounders and free agent talent NEEDS to be explored! Jake Long people!!

A bonified #2 reciever would really help Lee Evans and J.P. Losman immensely!

A better TE would be a safety outlet for J.P., the offense would improve greatly with a threat up the seam! When was the last time the Bills had a game breaker at TE? I'd say NEVER!

I'd say game planning next, however, the simple fact is it's tough to make chicken salad out of chicken *****! Better players next year and THEN they are under the microscope in this endevour.

QB is next, but I still insist that NO ONE can judge a QB until he is given a chance to perform with good talent around him. The jury, therefore, remains out for me in regards to J.P. Losman.

I wonder if the Bills will commit to Willis McGahee long term? The running game is NOT unlike the QB position, IF better O-linemen are providing the holes, then a better evaluation can be made.

justasportsfan
11-06-2006, 01:19 PM
If you don't think there is a lack of talent at the QB position, then it would be at the bottom of your list...a low priority.there's a lot of talent in the qb position. It's his brain that needs fixing that only experience and proper guidance can fix. Whether we have the right people to guide him remains to be seen. We do not however have the right supporting cast around him YET to make proper evaluations.

SquishDaFish
11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
BIGGEST 2 PROBLEMS ON THIS TEAM!

Coaching, in general.
Jp is the least of my worries including WR and RB. Once the Ol is fixed Jp will be better which in turn will make our WRs and RBs better.

Michael82
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM

Coaching, in general.
Jp is the least of my worries including WR and RB. Once the Ol is fixed Jp will be better which in turn will make our WRs and RBs better.
Good post! The Offensive line is the biggest problem on this team. The left side looks improved and may turn out to be pretty good now, and the center looks decent. But the Right side is awful right now. Villarrial doesn't help the rookie Pennington whatsoever. :ill:

The TEs should be used to block all the time now because they cant catch a cold. :(

Mr. Pink
11-06-2006, 02:42 PM
The biggest problem this team has is game-planning/coaching.

Two weeks and that's the turkey that Fairchild concocted in 2 weeks?

Inexcusable.

Then again, maybe he doesn't think he has a QB who can handle anything more than what we saw.

Elminster
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Lack of talent at QB.
Coaching, in general.

How can that be, you ask? The way I see it, our only good wide-outs are Evans, Reed, and Parrish. Everyone else is a scrub. The problem is that JR and RP are slot guys and thus aren't every down players, and both have been hurt recently. We absolutely NEED a big receiver for a #2, because as it is now all our receivers are average size or smaller.

Next comes the oline, but they may improve enough to be effective. The only sure-fire problem I see is Villarial.

Okay....now we know why Washington wasn't eager to keep Royal. Couldn't catch a cold, and is either in protection or failing massively at getting open. Everett has been a disappointment...has he even been active?

Next comes JP. I feel he's coming along. He simply looks a lot worse than he actually is because he cannot rely on his oline for consistent protection and his receivers just aren't getting open, and have a tendency for dropping the ball. If he continues to play as he, we should get a QB in the off-season. But not a big name. We should get some one better than Nall, but JP isn't the worst of our problems by any stretch, and should be pencilled in as the starter next year. He's in a terrible enviroment and while he's made some mistakes independant of his poor enviroment, I very much doubt any QB would succeed here, and we should focus on fostering a good enviroment for a QB before going in a new direction there.

Then we have game-planning and play-calling. Mostly because I haven't seen Fairchild make it any easier on our anemic offense. Stuff like going for a bomb on 2nd-and-1 only works when you can reliably pick up one yard on the ground, which we can't. Some one tell Fairchild quick!

Willis has been good, bordering on decent. He just doesn't seem to be anything special at all. Depressingly average. His best asset may well be his blitz pick-up at this point. He seems to run scared in some situations, goes down too easily, and doesn't have the extra gear he once boasted before his injury. Willis isn't so much a strength as he is not a weakness.

I personally feel coaching isn't much of a problem...

Time may well fix many of these problems...

M
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
The biggest problem this team has is game-planning/coaching.

Two weeks and that's the turkey that Fairchild concocted in 2 weeks?

Inexcusable.

Then again, maybe he doesn't think he has a QB who can handle anything more than what we saw.

Maybe if they game planned / play called to the QBs strengths. They didn't draft JP so he could sit in the pocket all day long. They wanted a mobile QB but now they won't let him run. Hmmmm.... The O-line stinks too but it's getting better with the changes that were just made. Still Villarierl (sp?) needs to take a seat.

DynaPaul
11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Lack of talent at QB.
Coaching, in general.

Needs in order of first to last:

1) Offensive Line
2) Gameplanning and Play Calling
3) Tight End
4) Quarterback
5) Runningback
6) Wide Reciever
7) Coaching

Michael82
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Maybe if they game planned / play called to the QBs strengths. They didn't draft JP so he could sit in the pocket all day long. They wanted a mobile QB but now they won't let him run. Hmmmm.... The O-line stinks too but it's getting better with the changes that were just made. Still Villarierl (sp?) needs to take a seat.
:bf1:

Mr. Pink
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Needs in order of first to last:

1)Needs in order of first to last:

1a) Gameplanning and Play Calling
1b) Coaching, in general
2) QB
3) O-line
4) TE
5) Wide Reciever

Running back is the only strength of this offense and doesn't need to be fixed....the others yes.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Michael82
11-06-2006, 04:03 PM
1. Lack of talent on the offensive line.
2. Lack of talent at tight end.
3. Gameplanning and play-calling.
4. Coaching, in general.
5. Lack of talent at wide receiver.
6. Lack of talent at QB.
7. Lack of talent at running back.

The_Philster
11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
1. Lack of talent on the offensive line.
2. Lack of talent at tight end.
3. Gameplanning and play-calling.
4. Coaching, in general.
5. Lack of talent at wide receiver.
6. Lack of talent at QB.
7. Lack of talent at running back.
I think this is the best ranking...top 4 for obvious reasons
WRs...we have a #1 WR and a bunch of guys who have yet to show me that they're bonafide #2 WRs...course, Lee is still working into that #1 role...a #1 WR needs to make plays like getting the ball away from the DB...yesterday's game, anyway
QB...big question marks...is JP the answer? I'm still not sure. Behind him, Holcomb is putrid (although if he had to play, I'd have to hope that he can reclaim his old form of mediocre)...Nall is a major question mark...he hasn't passed Holcomb on the depth chart...not a good sign
I might actually flip-flop the 2

RB...Willis has the ability...but hasn't shown the dedication or desire that I wanna see (I was spoiled by Thurman...and Willis is no Thurman)...A-Train has done a great job when called upon...Shaud Williams...only got on the active list for the 1st time this season yesterday

Night Train
11-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Coaching, in general.

The WR's are NOT getting seperation. A better blocking guard is not going to make Price,Parrish,Reed and Davis do a better job of getting open. They are not helping their QB AT ALL by finding open space when a play breaks down. They quit. I can see it as plain as day from the stands.

I want JP to start the rest of the year but the Staff may not be sold on the guy. That's all I'm saying. I don't wish to waste another high pick on a QB this coming spring.

OL,OL,MLB,maybe a good hands WR who keeps running his routes ( no earlier than Round 3 ). I'm thinking we're on the same page.

SquishDaFish
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
According to DJs press confs I think he is planing on sticking with Jp through next year.

patmoran2006
11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I'll tell you what...

Give me Jason Peters back.. Give me Lee Evans.. Give me Willis McGahee.. Give me Robert Royal (cause we're stuck with him).. I guess I can live with Melvin Fowler too.

The rest of the players on offense are a bunch of inconsistent jerkoffs.. Get rid of ALL OF THEM.. WE need a 2nd WR, 2-3 new OL and a Quarterback and until ALL of those things happen, this offense is going to suck balls..

No WR can get open consistently which puts doubles on Evans all day.. Depending on the drive, Royal either has stick-em or pizza grease on his hands... When someone is open you have a goofy tard at quarterback who doesn't have the first CLUE how to play QB in the NFL (not too mention that booing the fans gave him Sunday was among the LOUDEST I've EVER heard at a Bills game.. EVER.. Pennington is at LEAST two years away from being a starter, Fowler and Gandy are "adequate" but perfect representation of the continous mediocrity of the OL.. and Villarrial has somehow mastered the art of trying to pass block with his back and his ass because he gets beat THAT BAD...

This offense blows... Marv concentrated HEAVY on defense in year one, in year two it BETTER be ALL about the offense... Pathetic.

Michael82
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
According to DJs press confs I think he is planing on sticking with Jp through next year.
:up:

patmoran2006
11-06-2006, 04:37 PM
BTW.. Defense is the POLAR OPPOSITE.. I wouldnt cut a single starter on this defense next year if I had my way (which I know wont happen with Fletch and Clements FAs as well as Kelsay.)

K Williams, Whitner and Simpson are going to make this defense SOLID.

raphael120
11-06-2006, 04:37 PM
the reasons why other teams got rid of most of the players on the bills roster is showing up week after week after week. the whole team as a whole lacks talent, and the talent we do have is aging or too young and inexperienced

patmoran2006
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
the reasons why other teams got rid of most of the players on the bills roster is showing up week after week after week. the whole team as a whole lacks talent, and the talent we do have is aging or too young and inexperienced
Offense yes.. Defense absolutely not.. Our defense is going to be for real... get rid of the jokers on offense and this team will contend, not until.

raphael120
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
yeh the thing i do love watching the bills games for anymore is the awesome D play, i was screamin my lungs out with those INT's and fumbles, they keep the game exciting!

GarnOFreak
11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
just a quick question..how come you never see us line up 4 WR set and run the outside two guys on fly patterns time after time, rotating between the 4 recievers (the two inside WRs could run short routes...slants or curls) that way they don't get tired, but the CBs covering them that are backpeddling like mad will get tired. Just wondering.

1. Lack of talent at OL
2. Lack of talent at WR
3. Lack of talent at TE
4. Gameplanning/playcalling(too conservative...run on 1 & 2, pass on 3rd & long)
5. Lack of knowledge of QB(the obvious questiuon marks everyone refers to)
6. Coaching in general(young guys for the most part are doing well-rookies esp)
7. Lack of talent at RB(not really a problem, but will be ONCE Willis leaves). I would like him to come out and say that he wants to stay here since we took a chance on him in the 1st round when no one else did, but from most of his comments and attitude he seems destined to either follow the dollar($$$) or SB rings route rather than the loyalty one, sad.

So draft-wise I'd like to see OL, WR, or ILB as our 1st day picks(no necc. order) and in FA I'd like to see another OL, a DT, and a TE of starter calibur.