PDA

View Full Version : OpIv37's late game notes

OpIv37
11-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I haven't had a lot of time to read through the other threads so some of this may have been said, but here goes.

First of all, we won and that's always the most important thing.

The good:
-The reshuffled OL looks like it has significantly improved the run blocking
-Anthony Thomas has been our best FA pickup by far
-Fletcher had his best game of the season, arguably his best game as a Bill.
-Kyle Williams continues to improve and will be a solid player for us.
-Hargrove wasn't exactly dominant but seems to be an improvement for us
-Clements finally came through with a big game

The bad:
-the pass blocking is still horrendous
-JP still looks lost out there. He underthrew Evans twice (fortunately one time he was still open enough to score) and he seems incapable of making a decision quick enough to evade an NFL pass rush.
-the O only managed 17 points despite getting good field position from the D and ST all day.
- the D relied on the big play. That may work against Miami or Green Bay, but it won't work against NE or Indy. The run D needs work- they got pounded by a Packers OL that includes 2 rookies.
-Tripplett had some good pass deflections but he's still not getting enough penetration
- What has happened to Takeo Spikes? A year ago he would have had an INT on that screen pass, and on Simpson's INT, Spikes headed upfield to look for a block but was a non-factor by the time they were 10 yards down the field. I know DB's are supposed to be faster than LBs, but damn.

Other notes:
-Why did Simpson cut it back on that INT? I think he would have had it if he just kept going. Also, the announcers gave Favre the credit for knocking him out but Favre got blocked by Schobel- the RB was the one that took down Simpson.

- I'm sick of the way the NFL protects QB's- that's why Schobel jumped too early on that one play when he had a free shot at Favre.

-Favre looks awful and should have retired.

-Price was one-handing the ball on that end-around. He's lucky he was able to run out of bounds without being hit because he would have fumbled if someone hit him.

-I have to give JP credit for one thing: he protected the ball well.

-How the hell is the D supposed to stop those quick slants? There were several plays where McGee and Clements were right on their guys and the Packers still managed 7-8 yard completions. I suppose you could pull the LB's back but then there's no pass rush and it leaves the middle open for the TE or RB.

THATHURMANATOR
11-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Good analysis.

Saratoga Slim
11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I've got to add some props for Jason Peters to the list. He didn't play a perfect game, but he played well enough that I think we can take LT off the offseason shopping list.

And I agree about Thomas. I'm actually not that nervous if Willis has to sit a couple games to rest his ribs. That is not something that I could say if we were relying on Shaud and Gates to back him up.

alohabillsfan
11-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I've got to add some props for Jason Peters to the list. He didn't play a perfect game, but he played well enough that I think we can take LT off the offseason shopping list.

And I agree about Thomas. I'm actually not that nervous if Willis has to sit a couple games to rest his ribs. That is not something that I could say if we were relying on Shaud and Gates to back him up.

I sure would like Willis to at least spell the A-train next week at Indy, if not Does anyone out there think Shaud Williams can do it? I would rather have Fred Jackson!

TigerJ
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I still think the Bills should have kept Gates and cut Shaud Williams.

BidsJr
11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
-How the hell is the D supposed to stop those quick slants? There were several plays where McGee and Clements were right on their guys and the Packers still managed 7-8 yard completions. I suppose you could pull the LB's back but then there's no pass rush and it leaves the middle open for the TE or RB.

I think the better question is why after how many o-coordinators in how many years we can't find one who will throw the quick slant?

What better play to help a bad o-line and a QB who is making slow decisions?

mysticsoto
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I think the better question is why after how many o-coordinators in how many years we can't find one who will throw the quick slant?

What better play to help a bad o-line and a QB who is making slow decisions?

I am baffled as to why we can't do screens...with defenses that are trying to pursue and rattle JP, it would make sense to take advantage of them overpursuing and do some screens - and yet...we seem to prefer to give them sacks...

OpIv37
11-06-2006, 12:30 PM
I am baffled as to why we can't do screens...with defenses that are trying to pursue and rattle JP, it would make sense to take advantage of them overpursuing and do some screens - and yet...we seem to prefer to give them sacks...

I think part of the answer to that question is JP's lack of touch on the ball. Early in the season, the Bills did try some screens, and the balls were consistently sailing high on JP. In fact, I remember one in particular where he threw the ball too high and McGahee got crushed stretching out to catch it (I think it was the Vikings game).

OpIv37
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM

I wouldn't go that far after one game, but if he can maintain this level of play, we won't need to find a new LT in the off-season.