PDA

View Full Version : The difference between Mcgahee and Thomas

ghz in pittsburgh
11-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Nah, I'm only concentrating on on-filed stuff.

It's evident that Thomas is strictly a north south runner where Mcgahee is all over the place. The one thing that I'm very impressed with Thomas yesterday is that he really knows when to hit the hole - if I were McGahee I would be over to ask Thomas to give me a point or two now.

It's not always full speed ahead to hit that hole, something I learned yesterday by watching him. At one point I saw him coming up to almost a full stop then hit it very hard and through precise when the block was made and the hole opened up briefly.

One thing McGahee has over Thomas clearly (beside age) is speed. Even with a rebuilt knee, I think McGahee is faster.

Jeff1220
11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Thomas doesn't seem to give up on his run. Not only does he seem to keep driving his legs, but he keeps his balance. When Willis gets hit, if he tries to keep driving his legs, he drives himself down to the ground.

ICE74129
11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I would say right now Thomas is a better runner. Willis had best hope he isn't out long, because you CAN lose your job to injury. Atrain keeps performing like he did yesterday or better, you have to leave him in and go with the hot player.

PECKERWOOD
11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I think Thomas is more physical than Willis.. He hits the hole harder for sure, and when he hits a hole its full throttle. Willis dances around too much, and he needs to start hitting the hole harder. I will reserve my judgement further, untill I see A-Train play against Indy.

mysticsoto
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
I would say right now Thomas is a better runner. Willis had best hope he isn't out long, because you CAN lose your job to injury. Atrain keeps performing like he did yesterday or better, you have to leave him in and go with the hot player.

A-Train will do well against Indy also, but after that, I think his yardage will diminish. The Colts game will not be a good game to judge him on since their Run-D is horrendous. I can't believe the Patriots didn't run Dillon and Maroney all night long - their mistake.

A team that stuffs the middle will be tough on the A-Train to do much with. He does not have enough speed to go outside and around before LBs can reach him...

I am glad he's our backup, but I don't want to rely on him as our starter for more than a few games...

Saratoga Slim
11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm not about to call Thomas a better runner right now, after one game. He doesn't have the speed around the corner or the breakaway ability Willis does. But I am sure glad we've got him on the bench. I'm not worried about 2 weeks without McGahee after his performance yesterday.

justasportsfan
11-06-2006, 03:44 PM
they can both move the piles for more yards.

DynaPaul
11-06-2006, 04:05 PM
If you just blow on Willis he falls over. I'm tired of seeing that play after play. When is Willis going to run with some heart and not go down at the sign of first contact? What the hell is doing - trying to preserve himself so he can go to some other team for big bucks?

Mitchy moo
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
If A-train gets 200 + yards against Indy, Willis is sitting.

Pride
11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
While I have been saying this since preseason... (the fact that I would like to see more of A-train), I think the big thing that is making A-train such a hard runner right now is the simple fact that is more hungry.

I consider McGahee a "fat cat". He feels he has nothing to prove to anyone...

Michael82
11-06-2006, 04:26 PM
While I have been saying this since preseason... (the fact that I would like to see more of A-train), I think the big thing that is making A-train such a hard runner right now is the simple fact that is more hungry.

I consider McGahee a "fat cat". He feels he has nothing to prove to anyone...
After watching the game yesterday, it really pissed me off that we havent seen more of A-Train. He runs with a lot more power and hits the holes a lot better. Why hasn't this ****ty coaching staff been utilizing both backs? Why not a 1-2 punch? That way we can use A-Train on the short yardage runs and pound Willis on the 1st and 2nd downs. Maybe Mularkey was right with that. Willis is the kind of back you want on 1st and 2nd down, but for 3rd and 1, 2 or 3...you should take him out and use a back like Anthony Thomas that will pound thru that hole.

patmoran2006
11-06-2006, 04:29 PM
1- A lot of teams nowadays utilize two running backs and use the committee approach.. Denver, Atlanta, Pitt (last year) just to name a few. Both guys would be fresher..

2- Willis had on the ugliest sweater I've ever seen in my life Sunday. He should get benched for that alone.

mysticsoto
11-07-2006, 09:00 AM
1- A lot of teams nowadays utilize two running backs and use the committee approach.. Denver, Atlanta, Pitt (last year) just to name a few. Both guys would be fresher..

2- Willis had on the ugliest sweater I've ever seen in my life Sunday. He should get benched for that alone.

Ha! Ha! That's what someone next to me said at the bar I was in. He said, Willis may have gotten injured, but he's injuring my eyes with that sweater!!!

HHURRICANE
11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Nah, I'm only concentrating on on-filed stuff.

- if I were McGahee I would be over to ask Thomas to give me a point or two now.

That would require McGahee to pick his "ugly sweater wearing ass" off the bench and congratulate his teammate on his TD run first.

I hate the kind of person McGahee is.

streetkings01
11-07-2006, 09:15 AM
That would require McGahee to pick his "ugly sweater wearing ass" off the bench and congratulate his teammate on his TD run first.

I hate the kind of person McGahee is.With a broken rib that may be hard to do!

HHURRICANE
11-07-2006, 09:19 AM
With a broken rib that may be hard to do!

Uhhh, he managed to pull an ugly sweater over his ribs. Did they cart him back to the bench? I think walking 15 feet to say congrat's to a teammate is a shorter walk than from the locker room.

Billsrock4life
11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Thomas doesn't seem to give up on his run. Not only does he seem to keep driving his legs, but he keeps his balance. When Willis gets hit, if he tries to keep driving his legs, he drives himself down to the ground.

idk in the NE game ran real hard often making 6-8 yard gains out of 2-3 yard gains.........