PDA

View Full Version : Miami 'Cane DE shot and killed!

Coach Sal
11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
University of Miami DE Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night.

This story is just breaking. Updates to follow......

YardRat
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Not good.

Coach Sal
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I've checked a couple sites.

The only thing I've heard as of right now is that it happened after practice and the whole team was either nearby or showed up very quickly.

Possibly a drive-by......but that's just a rumor.

You have to wonder if this is related to the FIU fight. If it is, what a sad, sad world some people live in to have to take things this far.

YardRat
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I was going to make a smart-ass remark about it being related to the brawl, but decided against it. Could be close to the truth, unfortunately.

Are you getting details from the TV news down there coach?

LtFinFan66
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2653361

University of Miami defensive lineman Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night, shortly after leaving the practice field, according to a university official with knowledge of the situation.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement still was being prepared by the university, had no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Pata's death.
Miami-Dade police refused to release specific information about what happened.
Pata, a 6-foot-4, 272-pound senior, is from Miami

Coach Sal
11-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I was going to make a smart-ass remark about it being related to the brawl, but decided against it. Could be close to the truth, unfortunately.

Are you getting details from the TV news down there coach?

No.

There are several people I know "close" to that program who are giving me some details.

But they are sketchy right now.

Lots of rumors. Everyone's pretty upset and shocked, obviously.

BILLSROCK1212
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM
i gotta friend who goes to the "U" as soon as i get some news on this if it is any different than wat has been reported i will post it

Saratoga Slim
11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know where JP was today? It's his fault.

Not funny. Go to bed.

Mr. Miyagi
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
What a tragedy. He probably would've been drafted comes summer.

MikeInRoch
11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't mean to be flip about this - but if you told me to guess which school had a football player shot and killed, Miami would be first on the list.

PECKERWOOD
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
It sucks to see people on the way up die like this. But the fact of the matter is, this happens to people every single day. It's just the world we live in sadly.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
what a shame.. but mikes right... if someone said a player was shot but did not say what school, the first thought I would have is Miami... not sure why they continue to bring in such troubled kids, but then dont give them some quality leadership and role models to show them how to live responsibly

Dr. Lecter
11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Let's not judge this kid quite yet.

OpIv37
11-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I feel bad for the kid and his family and teammates.

But, unfortunately, when a program is as undisciplined and corrupt as Miami, the situations that escalate to this type of violence are bound to occur.

PECKERWOOD
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I wonder what happened? We still dont have all the facts.. What kind of kid was he? Was he a good kid, or 'gangsta'? Heck, we dont even know if this was intentional, or if he was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

OpIv37
11-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I wonder what happened? We still dont have all the facts.. What kind of kid was he? Was he a good kid, or 'gangsta'? Heck, we dont even know if this was intentional, or if he was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

good points but Miami hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt in these situations.

Richard Gozinya
11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
I feel bad for the kid and his family and teammates.

But, unfortunately, when a program is as undisciplined and corrupt as Miami, the situations that escalate to this type of violence are bound to occur.

What a worthless piece of ***** you are. The kid was shot twice in the back of the head in an apparent carjacking. Let's see someone you care about get robbed and executed, and see how you feel when I call them undisciplined and corrupt before their body's cold.

Your comment says more about your lack of character than anyone else's.

justasportsfan
11-08-2006, 08:23 AM
What a worthless piece of ***** you are. The kid was shot twice in the back of the head in an apparent carjacking. Let's see someone you care about get robbed and executed, and see how you feel when I call them undisciplined and corrupt before their body's cold.

I think OP was talking about the program, not the kid. What he said was no different from everyone thinking an incident like this could happen to Miami. :idunno:

This is the worst year for college football.

My condolences to the family.

mybills
11-08-2006, 08:24 AM
So young...
My prayers go out to his family. :sadwalk:

justasportsfan
11-08-2006, 08:27 AM
What a tragedy. He probably would've been drafted comes summer.they said he knew that when he was moved to DT it would hurt his draft chances because he's was undersized for a DT. But he knew it was best for the team so he did the unselfish thing and moved to DT.

OpIv37
11-08-2006, 08:27 AM

a little oversensitive, are we?

Notice I called the Miami PROGRAM undisciplined and corrupt, not the victim. I don't know what the kid did, and whatever it was he didn't deserve to be shot for it. I'm not defending it- I'm not saying it was the right thing to do- all I'm saying is this is the unwanted bi-product of the way Miami ignores laws, NCAA/university polices and general respect for the sake of football glory. Notice also how out of the 118 other schools in D1, Miami's the only one engaged in brawls and having it's players shot.

The way you continue to defend such a disgraceful program says more about your lack of character than anyone else's.

justasportsfan
11-08-2006, 08:30 AM
The way you continue to defend such a disgraceful program says more about your lack of character than anyone else's.
he just misinterpreted your post. He wasn't defending the program either. No need to fire right back.

Cmon guys, relax.

Richard Gozinya
11-08-2006, 08:40 AM
he just misinterpreted your post. He wasn't defending the program either. No need to fire right back.

Cmon guys, relax.

I didn't misinterpret anything. This pud takes every opportunity to take a shot at UM, which ordinarily doesn't bother me. Lord knows he's not alone in having a seething hatred for all things UM.

I do have a problem with him dancing on this kid's grave before it's even dug, which is exactly what he was doing. Dude can go suck some **** as far as I'm concerned. I'm done with this.

Romes
11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
I don't mean to be flip about this - but if you told me to guess which school had a football player shot and killed, Miami would be first on the list.

the on field brawl and now this. the dean needs to admit there is a general lack of discpline with that football program.

I don't know what should be done but this is about more than just a coaching change. "The U" has serious issues.

justasportsfan
11-08-2006, 08:58 AM
the on field brawl and now this. the dean needs to admit there is a general lack of discpline with that football program.

I don't know what should be done but this is about more than just a coaching change. "The U" has serious issues.Is it the program or the area? I left So. Fla. because of too much drugs and kids can easily get hold of guns legally or not. I loved partying or vacationing there but could never live there anymore.

Romes
11-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Is it the program or the area? I left So. Fla. because of too much drugs and kids can easily get hold of guns legally or not. I loved partying or vacationing there but could never live there anymore.

could be the area. i don't know. I've never been to that area of florida

it just can't be a coincidence this type of stuff seems to happen there more than other places.

justasportsfan
11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
could be the area. i don't know. I've never been to that area of florida

it just can't be a coincidence this type of stuff seems to happen there more than other places.I guess it's a mixture of both :idunno:

BillsNick
11-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I didn't misinterpret anything. This pud takes every opportunity to take a shot at UM, which ordinarily doesn't bother me. Lord knows he's not alone in having a seething hatred for all things UM.

I do have a problem with him dancing on this kid's grave before it's even dug, which is exactly what he was doing. Dude can go suck some **** as far as I'm concerned. I'm done with this.

Dude, go outside and smoke a cigarette or something! Just chill out, no one is "dancing" on anyones grave. :respect:

Kerr
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
what a f'n joke if his death is over a game. Regardless, it deepens the wound the program is already facing this season.

Marvelous
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
That school is a joke. No wonder i need little ray ray to translate what Roscoe says..
I feel bad for the kids family wherever home is..

Valerie
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
WOW! How sad. My prayer go out to his family and friends. :pray: What the hell is this world coming to? :(

DynaPaul
11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
No more drafting players from "Da U".