PDA

View Full Version : Colts Run D

AFJoe
11-07-2006, 11:01 PM
As a Colts season ticket holder now, i wonder the same thing you wonder, why don't teams run more against the Colts? Well, went back and watched a few games to try to figure this out. And a friend and I did see something interesting.

The Colts give up big chunks of yards on some run plays. but then will stop a couple in a row. Example: They will give up a 30 yard rush, which leads to a first down. Then they will stop 3 runs in a row for a combined 8 yards, forcing a punt. The stats will read: 4 rushes for 38 yards, which is a 9.5 average. Yet you still are forced to punt. Sometimes you have to go down field to keep the safties honest, and that plays into the Colts favor.

Perfect examples of this was Jacksonville and NE. Jacksonville ran for about 200 yards and lost, because the Colts forced them to punt a lot. 140 yards were on two possessions they scored on. That left 60 for the whole rest of the game. Two scores are not going to beat the Colts.

In the NE game the Pats ran for almost all their yards on their scoring drives, but were forced to throw on 3rd and long many times, leading to turnovers.

I don't think NFL coaches are dumb, they just realize you can't run every down on a NFL defense, even a poor one. If you get stopped on the first 2 downs, you're allowing our pass rush to pin their ears back and come full speed.

P.S. Bob Sanders makes a HUGE difference!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2006, 11:09 PM
teams dont run agiants them as much because you have to score alot of points just to keep up with indy... that means get down the field fast and score. then put a bag over paytons head, club him, drag him into the locker room, stuff him into a locker, then come back on the field and score some more real fast before they find him. becasue if they find him even late in the 4th, he's gonna come back on the field and throw for 500 yards and 6 tds.

AFJoe
11-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I agree with you on that, I'm just saying that even in games that hat Colts have been losing in...Jacksonville, Jets, Titans, Redskins, Broncos...these teams have ran the ball on the Colts with a lead, and it didn't work. You'll see if you watch these games that the Colts make 2-3 big run stops that turn the tide (like they did against Brady and the Pats even though the refs blew that one).

THATHURMANATOR
11-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Our only chance is to run the hell out of the ball and control the clock.

justasportsfan
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
As a Colts season ticket holder now, i wonder the same thing you wonder, why don't teams run more against the Colts? Well, went back and watched a few games to try to figure this out. And a friend and I did see something interesting.

The Colts give up big chunks of yards on some run plays. but then will stop a couple in a row. Example: They will give up a 30 yard rush, which leads to a first down. Then they will stop 3 runs in a row for a combined 8 yards, forcing a punt. The stats will read: 4 rushes for 38 yards, which is a 9.5 average. Yet you still are forced to punt. Sometimes you have to go down field to keep the safties honest, and that plays into the Colts favor.

Perfect examples of this was Jacksonville and NE. Jacksonville ran for about 200 yards and lost, because the Colts forced them to punt a lot. 140 yards were on two possessions they scored on. That left 60 for the whole rest of the game. Two scores are not going to beat the Colts.

In the NE game the Pats ran for almost all their yards on their scoring drives, but were forced to throw on 3rd and long many times, leading to turnovers.

I don't think NFL coaches are dumb, they just realize you can't run every down on a NFL defense, even a poor one. If you get stopped on the first 2 downs, you're allowing our pass rush to pin their ears back and come full speed.

P.S. Bob Sanders makes a HUGE difference!
that's what I thought we kinda did against the Packers. They ran but none of which were really huge plays that hurt us. Now Maroney and the Pats were a different story.

ICE74129
11-08-2006, 10:24 AM
If I am DJ Willis doesn't even suit up. Give the Ball to A Train and let him rack up 150 and 3 Rushing TD's while controlling the clock

Mr. Miyagi
11-08-2006, 10:52 AM
If I am DJ Willis doesn't even suit up. Give the Ball to A Train and let him rack up 150 and 3 Rushing TD's while controlling the clock
All the runs will probably be on the left side. Just hope the Colts don't catch on. :naughty:

TigerJ
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
All the runs will probably be on the left side. Just hope the Colts don't catch on. :naughty:

That's essentially my offensive game plan for the Bills. They may have to change things up occasionally with a pass or run right if the Colts load up on that side, but running behind Peters and Gandy has to be their bread and butter.

alohabillsfan
11-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Does it bother anyone that Shaud Williams is the only BU on the current roster? I would like to see Fred Jackson added, Thoughts?

Mr. Miyagi
11-08-2006, 01:11 PM
That's essentially my offensive game plan for the Bills. They may have to change things up occasionally with a pass or run right if the Colts load up on that side, but running behind Peters and Gandy has to be their bread and butter.
That's the poor man version's of last year's Hutchinson and Jones!

ICE74129
11-08-2006, 01:18 PM
All the runs will probably be on the left side. Just hope the Colts don't catch on. :naughty:sshhhhhhh....we dont' want to let the secret out.

raphael120
11-08-2006, 01:27 PM
49-17, Colts

Mr. Miyagi
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
49-17, Colts
Nah, I'd say 38-9 Colts.