PDA

View Full Version : 49ers moving?

Gunzlingr
11-09-2006, 08:23 AM
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Francisco 49ers ended negotiations with the city about building a new stadium and plan to move to either Santa Clara or somewhere else in California, The Associated Press learned Wednesday night.
Owner John York notified Mayor Gavin Newsom of the team's decision earlier Wednesday, the mayor's spokesman, Peter Ragone, told the AP.
Team spokesman Aaron Salkin declined to comment Wednesday night. Messages seeking comment were left on the office and cell phone of Lisa Lang, the 49ers vice president for communications.
The sides had been talking over the last few months about building a privately financed stadium at Candlestick Point that was going to be part of the city's bid for the 2016 summer Olympics.
Ragone did not know how the 49ers' decision would impact the Olympic bid. San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago are the three cities competing to be the U.S. Olympic Committee's choice to bid on the 2016 games.
The team's current lease at Candlestick runs through the 2008 season and the team holds three five-year options that could extend it through 2023.

More... (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/11/09/niners.stadium.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

Ickybaluky
11-09-2006, 08:24 AM
The York family has totally f-ed up that team. They are a fans worst nightmare, the football-version of the Bruin's Jeremy Jacobs.

TacklingDummy
11-09-2006, 08:26 AM
The Los Angeles 49ers sounds good to me.

Typ0
11-09-2006, 08:26 AM
that's just wrong. The 49rs belong in san fran. I hope they move.

LtFinFan66
11-09-2006, 08:29 AM
that's just wrong. The 49rs belong in san fran. I hope they move.Hmmm....that's wrong-they belong in San Fran-I HOPE THEY MOVE?? Something seems amiss in that post

HHURRICANE
11-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Anything that sends a team to LA other than the Bills is good by me!! In addition, if any city had to lose a team it should be the one that has the most moraly corrupt population in the US!!! The is the same city that gives a $400 stypen to drug users!!

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Hmmm....that's wrong-they belong in San Fran-I HOPE THEY MOVE?? Something seems amiss in that post
I think he meant "don't". His name is Typ0. What did you expect?

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 11:26 AM
I never understood why you would want a football team in such a queer city. Does San Fran, have gay guys as their cheerleaders?

Michael82
11-09-2006, 01:09 PM
The York family has totally f-ed up that team. They are a fans worst nightmare, the football-version of the Bruin's Jeremy Jacobs.
And yet this is Jacobs is the same guy that us Bills fans want to buy the Bills....hmmm.... :scratch:

CuseJetsFan83
11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
well according to espn, they plan on moving to the san josa/santa clara area........ which is literally south of san fran....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2654743

The San Francisco 49ers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfo) ended negotiations with the city about building a new stadium Wednesday and have turned their focus to the Bay Area suburb of Santa Clara. Owner John York notified Mayor Gavin Newsom of the team's decision earlier Wednesday, the mayor's spokesman, Peter Ragone, told The Associated Press.
Team spokesman Aaron Salkin declined to comment but the 49ers issued a news release late Wednesday night announcing the decision.............

........... Now the team is seeking to build a new stadium in Santa Clara, near the Great America amusement park and the Santa Clara Convention Center. Santa Clara is located in San Francisco's South Bay area near San Jose............

Nighthawk
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I hate to say this, but this is exactly what is going to happen in Buffalo. Especially since we have one of the worst stadiums in the league. I hope that the Bills and this area can come to some agreement to build a new stadium because if they don't, I'm afraid we might lose the Bills.

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 01:18 PM
We have great fans in Buffalo, topped with a great owner. As long as Ralph Wilson is breathing, this wont happen to us.

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2006, 01:26 PM
So the 49ers will still be SF 49ers, only playing in Santa Clara?

Oh, you mean like the NY Giants and NY Jets playing in NJ?

CuseJetsFan83
11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
yeah just like that....... minus the state change and hoffa in the endzone

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I hate to say this, but this is exactly what is going to happen in Buffalo. Especially since we have one of the worst stadiums in the league. I hope that the Bills and this area can come to some agreement to build a new stadium because if they don't, I'm afraid we might lose the Bills.

It will happen, maybe not next year but in a few years now that the NFTA has finally transfered the outer harbor to the Waterfront Redevelopment Commision there will be a new stadium built same as the Arizona Cardinals got it will be a revolving roof stadium down on the outer harbor of the waterfront the only problem is there's no way to get to the outer harbor right now.

GarnOFreak
11-09-2006, 06:05 PM

What!?! move the city of San Fran to Santa Clara? or just the residents?

Typ0
11-09-2006, 06:34 PM

What!?! move the city of San Fran to Santa Clara? or just the residents?

just the residents....but leave the stadium and there.

G. Host
11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
So the 49ers will still be SF 49ers, only playing in Santa Clara?

Oh, you mean like the NY Giants and NY Jets playing in NJ?
Or the Bills playing in Orchard Park. It is still part of SF area.