PDA

View Full Version : I sense a philosophy change of the Bills

ghz in pittsburgh
11-09-2006, 11:41 AM
While you guys continue to argue that Losman hold the Bills back, I think the coaching staff made a significant chnage during the last 3 weeks.

They have decided to put focus on running the ball on offense and tightening up defense.

I believe the move of offensive line shift aimed primarily strengthening the run game. In the first half, if the Bills wanted a yard, they almost always go behind Villarrial. Now they put Peters next to Gandy who I think (and is proved in the first half) is a pretty good run blocker (maybe why they call him a natural guard). The Packer game showed that the Bills now have an Ace running side on the left. The other running lane will be between Fowler and Villarrial; however, both Fowler and Villarial are playing so inconsistent that you really cannot count on that at all. We'll continue to see what Pennington can bring. So far I'm not impressed. The one thing stuck in my mind about him: he comes out of his stands so slow even his extra long arms could not help him catching the guys blow by him. It's even worse than Mike Williams.

The Packers is dead last in NFL on pass defense. yet the Bills insisted on running. Losman dropped back to pass for only 20 times or so. For the first time this year I see a Bills game with so few 3+ receiver sets. I just don't think that is a coincidence. We'll see what they do at Indy, particularly after Manning put a few TDs on the board.

Overall I like this philosophical change. Remember the Bills were in the process of openning up the play book and ask Losman to throw more and more before the bye. I just think playing defense and run on offense is a proven formula in NFL. Jauron should remember that during his only winning season in Chicago.

Can anyone guess the run pass ratio during the first two seasons of Big Ben's career in Pittsburgh and that ratio this year for the Steelers?

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
This is what Mularkey tried to do.. Our game against GB is a perfect example of smashmouth football. Just keep runnin' the ball, over and over again. It looked all hunky dory against GB, but teams have to know that we are only running on the left side right now.. We are going to have to make up for this by, screen plays and short passes on the right side to keep them honest, imo. But yeah, I like that style of offense more than anything else.

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Not that I'm comparing us to them, but the Seahawks last year ran Alexander to the left side behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones on every running play. I don't care if you know they're going that way, you just can't stop them.

I say let's not outsmart ourselves. If we find a formula that works, let's run it until it doesn't work anymore.

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Not that I'm comparing us to them, but the Seahawks last year ran Alexander to the left side behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones on every running play. I don't care if you know they're going that way, you just can't stop them.

So knowing it and defending it are two different things.

Thats true Miyagi.. But with that said, it becomes easier for teams to stop you, if they know what you are going to do.

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2006, 01:24 PM
So what? Man up and I dare you to stop it.

Until you do, I'll run it a thousand times.

Didn't you ever play Tecmo Super Bowl? I used to run the same play over and over again and they couldn't stop me. 4 yards every play. :D

Mitchy moo
11-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Didn't you ever play Tecmo Super Bowl? I used to run the same play over and over again and they couldn't stop me. 4 yards every play. :D

Was that the San Fran pass to jerry rice by chance?

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Was that the San Fran pass to jerry rice by chance?
No it was an outside run play to the right, angled outside the RT. But I can't recall the team. :(

onceproudbillsfan
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
This is what Mularkey tried to do.. Our game against GB is a perfect example of smashmouth football. Just keep runnin' the ball, over and over again. It looked all hunky dory against GB, but teams have to know that we are only running on the left side right now.. We are going to have to make up for this by, screen plays and short passes on the right side to keep them honest, imo. But yeah, I like that style of offense more than anything else.
I dont think Mularkey ever tried smashmouth football. He talked about it but he didnt do it. He asked Losman to go out and win the games by having him throw the ball all the time on 3rd and 1. We should be a running team. That would cut down on Losmans turnovers. Just have him try to manage the game not go out there and try to win it by throwing.

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I dont think Mularkey ever tried smashmouth football. He talked about it but he didnt do it. He asked Losman to go out and win the games by having him throw the ball all the time on 3rd and 1. We should be a running team. That would cut down on Losmans turnovers. Just have him try to manage the game not go out there and try to win it by throwing.

He tried, but failed miserably! :up:

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Man, only if the NFL could be more like Tecmo Super Bowl! :P

YardRat
11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Reed's injury could encourage the team to rely even more on the run.

Thomas had a couple of nice runs to the right-outside, also. As Pennington progresse, the play-calling should become more balanced. I still say this isn't a new development, though...The majority of Willis' better runs came over the left side in the first seven games.

SABURZFAN
11-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I dont think Mularkey ever tried smashmouth football. He talked about it but he didnt do it. He asked Losman to go out and win the games by having him throw the ball all the time on 3rd and 1.

DING!!!!!DING!!!!!!!DING!!!!!!!!we have a winner.nice try BuffaloFever. :rolleyes:

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 10:29 PM
DING!!!!!DING!!!!!!!DING!!!!!!!!we have a winner.nice try BuffaloFever. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Trebeck.:rrich: