PDA

View Full Version : Tillman story finally coming out

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-09-2006, 08:35 PM
One of the four shooters, Staff Sgt. Trevor Alders, had recently had PRK laser eye surgery. Although he could see two sets of hands “straight up,” his vision was “hazy,” he said. In the absence of “friendly identifying signals,” he assumed Tillman and an allied Afghan who also was killed were enemy.

Another, Spc. Steve Elliott, said he was “excited” by the sight of rifles, muzzle flashes and “shapes.” A third, Spc. Stephen Ashpole, said he saw two figures, and just aimed where everyone else was shooting.

Squad leader Sgt. Greg Baker had 20-20 eyesight, but claimed he had “tunnel vision.” Amid the chaos and pumping adrenaline, Baker said he hammered what he thought was the enemy but was actually the allied Afghan fighter next to Tillman who was trying to give the Americans cover: “I zoned in on him because I could see the AK-47. I focused only on him.”

All four failed to identify their targets before firing, a direct violation of the fire discipline techniques drilled into every soldier.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15635557/

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/061109/061109_tillman_hlrg_630a.hlarge.jpg

BillsKelly
11-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Not to get in a political debate but just another classic cover up by the Bush Administration.

AFJoe
11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
This is th edumbest article in the history of military coverage. Who wrote this? The AP? I promise you it wasn't anyone who had ever been in combat, let alone an ambush. Laser eye surgery measn nothing. Pilots get it all the time, it helps them. I have 20/15 vision and I have had tunnel vision in combat. You don't always identify shooters while being ambushed, you just shoot anything outside your box. I could list on here all the reasons that artilce is ridiculous and wrong, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it. I could also tell you all the mistakes Pat made on that day, but that would be almost as unfair as blamin gth eother Rangers for his death.

The Special Operations Community hs become pretty sick of the Tillman story. This kind of thing happens all the time in STS, SOF, NSW and so on. Why is it so important that it is Tillman? I thought he wanted to be lik everyone else? Hos brother Kevin, was even turned down by a differnt Ranger battalion because they didn't want him because of all his comments.

It is sad Pat died, but criminal investigating other Rangers is ridiculous, especially whenm Pat made so many mistakes. This is not a cover up, this is what happens in SOF, jsut became news after the Tillman family used their celebrity status to push it. As a NCO I have seen the military tell families their loved one died saving the day, just to be comforting. Even though the member died because he messed up. Is that what they should have done?

Stop all this crap, it's stupid. As a former member of a STS (Special Tactics Squadron), who served from Kosovo, to Southern No Fly Zone in Iraq both under Clinton, and then Afghanistan and back to Iraq under Bush along with numerous other missions, these things happen no matter what. Just because you hate the current President doesn't mean he had anything to do with this.

If we want to debate war and what went wrong that day, just let me know. This garbage and theories have to stop. If shooting at targets while being ambushed in a war zone without identifying them first is a crime, then every person who has ever been outnumbered in an ambush would be in jail. War isn't as simple as TV and the movies make it. Crap happens all the time. Get over it, ot join SOF, STS or NSW and see for yourself.

Cntrygal
11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Threads that end up "politically slanted" will end up in the SPIN ZONE.

After saying that.... I find it highly suspect that someone was in combat with recent PRK (still fuzzy vision) surgery. We are taken off of deployment status while in "recovery" until released by eye doctor.

AFJoe
11-09-2006, 09:23 PM
It happens all the time in Speical OPs...I returned to a forward zone the day after removing my cast of my foot aftr a broken bone....SOF is just different, the numbers are low, and are always needed. It doesn't matter anyway, but since you asked....

He was standing between a shooter and the sun, a mistake an operator should never make, especially in an ambush....and he was at the same level as the ambushers, but not returning fire onto the ambushers, just taking a forward control position without a radio...HUGE MISTAKES!!!

It happens, but don't blanme the shooter...

YardRat
11-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I've never been in that type of situation, so I'll reserve comment.

I do appreciate the insight from AFJ and C-gal, though.

PECKERWOOD
11-09-2006, 09:40 PM
This information isn't new. We already knew that Tillman's death was an accident.. With that said, Tillman was a patriot who served his country. It's really heartening to me, that there are still people out there that will follow their heart instead of the paycheck. Thanks for protecting our Country Tillman. :(

AFJoe
11-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I was still in the service when Pat died, and my unit, along with myself were totally devastated. I have no problem with Pat. I, along with many other people in the same line of work as Pat, have become very disenchanted with his family and their lawyers and they way they are treating this. Some poor 20 year-old Ranger is being criminally investigated because of them...hope they are proud. Most of the guys that I was in STS with that are still in hae told me the Special OPs community (which is a very close-knit group) have become very angered by the media attention and accusations. I myself feel the same way they do. It is sad, it happens, but all this crap must stop.

Night Train
11-10-2006, 04:49 AM
When news breaks that all this talk and finger pointing can bring him back to life, let me know.

alohabillsfan
11-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Pat Tillman, and all the men and women serving or have served in combat are heros period! Leave these soldiers alone! GOD Bless America!

Jan Reimers
11-10-2006, 06:40 AM
The timing of this "report" had nothing to do with Rumsfeld's resignation or a coverup by the Bush Administration. I know that some of you youngsters want to blame Bush for everything from Katrina to the myth of global warning, but it just ain't so.

As Winston Churchill once said, "If you are twenty and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you are forty and not a conservative, you don't have a brain."

I think the last election said a lot about the brainpower in this country.

Statman
11-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Most of the guys that I was in STS with that are still in hae told me the Special OPs community (which is a very close-knit group) have become very angered by the media attention and accusations. I myself feel the same way they do. It is sad, it happens, but all this crap must stop.
Good luck. This is all reflection of expression of beyond normal discontent with Bush. These guys will be pissing on his grave in 50 years they hate him that much.

HHURRICANE
11-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Not to get in a political debate but just another classic cover up by the Bush Administration.

It's Losman's fault that we are in this war!!!!

Earthquake Enyart
11-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Didn't anybody see the Outside the Lines thing on Tillman a couple of Sundays ago on ESPN ( a really good show, btw)? They had a computer generated simulation of the deep, steep valley they were in. Also, at the time of day it happened, the sun was directly behind Tillman so the guy looking up at him had no chance to know whether he was friend or foe.

Crazygoo
11-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Pat Tillman, and all the men and women serving or have served in combat are heros period! Leave these soldiers alone! GOD Bless America!

agreed 100%. they are over there doing a job that was asked of them. For it or against it, it is there job and thats what they are doing. They all know what could happen to them and that is the chance they take when they sign the paper to enlist. God Bless all of them over there

Typ0
11-10-2006, 07:54 AM
I think this whole story is a joke. It doesn't matter how he died. He was in combat. he died. He's a hero any way you look at it. People in combat die from friendly fire all the time. It's just a function of bullets flying around and the fact that if you don't shoot you are going to be the one to die. All of this media crap is stupid.

don137
11-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I was still in the service when Pat died, and my unit, along with myself were totally devastated. I have no problem with Pat. I, along with many other people in the same line of work as Pat, have become very disenchanted with his family and their lawyers and they way they are treating this. Some poor 20 year-old Ranger is being criminally investigated because of them...hope they are proud. Most of the guys that I was in STS with that are still in hae told me the Special OPs community (which is a very close-knit group) have become very angered by the media attention and accusations. I myself feel the same way they do. It is sad, it happens, but all this crap must stop.

What, the liberal media wanting to give people in the military a bad name instead of being objective? I don't believe it. I am not saying I agree or disagree with everything going on overseas but the liberal media has always had an agenda of making people in the military look bad because they view it as "we are in those situations because of someone on the right" so lets make them look bad. These poor soldiers are in the line of fire everyday and fighting for our us yet the media looks for anyway to make them the bad guy. Its really sad.

ICE74129
11-10-2006, 08:32 AM
This is th edumbest article in the history of military coverage. Who wrote this? The AP? I promise you it wasn't anyone who had ever been in combat, let alone an ambush. Laser eye surgery measn nothing. Pilots get it all the time, it helps them. I have 20/15 vision and I have had tunnel vision in combat. You don't always identify shooters while being ambushed, you just shoot anything outside your box. I could list on here all the reasons that artilce is ridiculous and wrong, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it. I could also tell you all the mistakes Pat made on that day, but that would be almost as unfair as blamin gth eother Rangers for his death.

The Special Operations Community hs become pretty sick of the Tillman story. This kind of thing happens all the time in STS, SOF, NSW and so on. Why is it so important that it is Tillman? I thought he wanted to be lik everyone else? Hos brother Kevin, was even turned down by a differnt Ranger battalion because they didn't want him because of all his comments.

It is sad Pat died, but criminal investigating other Rangers is ridiculous, especially whenm Pat made so many mistakes. This is not a cover up, this is what happens in SOF, jsut became news after the Tillman family used their celebrity status to push it. As a NCO I have seen the military tell families their loved one died saving the day, just to be comforting. Even though the member died because he messed up. Is that what they should have done?

Stop all this crap, it's stupid. As a former member of a STS (Special Tactics Squadron), who served from Kosovo, to Southern No Fly Zone in Iraq both under Clinton, and then Afghanistan and back to Iraq under Bush along with numerous other missions, these things happen no matter what. Just because you hate the current President doesn't mean he had anything to do with this.

If we want to debate war and what went wrong that day, just let me know. This garbage and theories have to stop. If shooting at targets while being ambushed in a war zone without identifying them first is a crime, then every person who has ever been outnumbered in an ambush would be in jail. War isn't as simple as TV and the movies make it. Crap happens all the time. Get over it, ot join SOF, STS or NSW and see for yourself.

And I served as a 19K in the first desert storm. The article is dead on, those guys ****ed up royally.

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 09:20 AM
And I served as a 19K in the first desert storm. The article is dead on, those guys ****ed up royally.

Dr., your patient has arrived.

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 09:21 AM

You my friend are right on the money.

Thank you so very much for your service to this country btw.

I pray for all of you and your familys every day.

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
As Winston Churchill once said, "If you are twenty and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you are forty and not a conservative, you don't have a brain."

Also he never said this.

Quote was falsly attributed to him.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=388

ddaryl
11-10-2006, 09:31 AM
The timing of this "report" had nothing to do with Rumsfeld's resignation or a coverup by the Bush Administration. I know that some of you youngsters want to blame Bush for everything from Katrina to the myth of global warning, but it just ain't so.

1st Tillman's death is a tragedy, and IMO doesn't need to be dragged out nor do we need finger pointing. Afghanistan and going after Al Qeada was understandable and acceptable. Iraq has been nothing but a dissaster, and represents some piss poor planning, and a serious lack of intelligence.

2nd Jan Reimers post is a huge joke. Politcs should never be discussed in these forums, but if someone is actually going to post tripe then it is going to generate angered replies.

New Orleans after Katrina will be remembered as a huge failure. It happened on Bush's watch, and it was his appointed people that pretty much screwed the pooch. There is little doubt that Bush deserves the blame on this one. New Orleans could have been and should have seen a lot more aid and efforts a lot sooner then what happened. It is well documented, so denying it just means your in your rightwing damage control denial stage.

Global Warming is fact !. It's not Bush's fault, but he has made decisions that have definitely hastened it along in his tenure. He has rolled back lots of laws that were designed to help curtail global warming effects just to help corporations profit more. PProfits are never more important then preserving the planet.

Ironically I feel that America has finally gotten smart, and it only took them 6 years. Serioulsy how can anyone come up with a winning argument that voting for Bush and the republicans over the last 6 - 10 years was smart. There hasn't been much poositive since Bush has been president or republicans have taken a hold of congress.

I'm approaching 40 years old, and although I am not a leftist I have liberal views. I also invest in the stock market and embrace some conservative ideas. Winston Churchill quote may have made sense back when he said it, but today I doubt he would use that quote. Todays republicans are represented by right wing nut jobs. Should we take a tour of all the religous whackos that supported Bush. Maybe if republicans stop thinking that it's "Our way or the highway" some of us wouldn't hate them as much. There are lots of differen types of people in the world, with lots of different ideas on what life should be, but watching the republicans so willingly try to streamline American life into a nice neat product of thier vision is the reason why America is voting Democratic and pretty much mopped up the last election.

Maybe Republicans could actually try to move back to the middle they can repair the damage they themselves have caused their party.

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 09:38 AM
1st Tillman's death is a tragedy, and IMO doesn't need to be dragged out nor do we need finger pointing. Afghanistan and going after Al Qeada was understandable and acceptable. Iraq has been nothing but a dissaster, and represents some piss poor planning, and a serious lack of intelligence.

2nd Jan Reimers post is a huge joke. Politcs should never be discussed in these forums, but if someone is actually going to post tripe then it is going to generate angered replies.

New Orleans after Katrina will be remembered as a huge failure. It happened on Bush's watch, and it was his appointed people that pretty much screwed the pooch. There is little doubt that Bush deserves the blame on this one. New Orleans could have been and should have seen a lot more aid and efforts a lot sooner then what happened. It is well documented, so denying it just means your in your rightwing damage control denial stage.

Global Warming is fact !. It's not Bush's fault, but he has made decisions that have definitely hastened it along in his tenure. He has rolled back lots of laws that were designed to help curtail global warming effects just to help corporations profit more. PProfits are never more important then preserving the planet.

Ironically I feel that America has finally gotten smart, and it only took them 6 years. Serioulsy how can anyone come up with a winning argument that voting for Bush and the republicans over the last 6 - 10 years was smart. There hasn't been much poositive since Bush has been president or republicans have taken a hold of congress.

I'm approaching 40 years old, and although I am not a leftist I have liberal views. I also invest in the stock market and embrace some conservative ideas. Winston Churchill quote may have made sense back when he said it, but today I doubt he would use that quote. Todays republicans are represented by right wing nut jobs. Should we take a tour of all the religous whackos that supported Bush. Maybe if republicans stop thinking that it's "Our way or the highway" some of us wouldn't hate them as much. There are lots of differen types of people in the world, with lots of different ideas on what life should be, but watching the republicans so willingly try to streamline American life into a nice neat product of thier vision is the reason why America is voting Democratic and pretty much mopped up the last election.

Maybe Republicans could actually try to move back to the middle they can repair the damage they themselves have caused their party.

What conservative views whould these be?

You crossed God off the list.

Think that the first line of defense to a natural disaster is the President, instead of the "elected" officials in the state of LA.

Claim global warming as a fact, when there have been historical cycles that have had hotter periods BEFORE the world was industrialized.

You claim investing in the stock market as being conservative. But prolly only do this because you know the Liberal entitlement of SS is a joke.

Lemme ask you this. If Clinton were president and the LA elect were republicans, who would you balme for the Katrina problem?

ICE74129
11-10-2006, 09:42 AM
You my friend are right on the money.

Thank you so very much for your service to this country btw.

I pray for all of you and your familys every day.

He is 100% wrong. and You are welcome.

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 09:43 AM
He is 100% wrong. and You are welcome.

You are 100% wrong

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 09:52 AM
You are welcome.

So are You.

mybills
11-10-2006, 09:57 AM
“I zoned in on him because I could see the AK-47. I focused only on him.”

so, he could see enough to identify an AK-47, but not a fellow soldier who he "only" focused on?

chernobylwraiths
11-10-2006, 09:59 AM

Patriots, not heros.

chernobylwraiths
11-10-2006, 10:00 AM

Not having brains got us Bush twice in the first place.

ddaryl
11-10-2006, 11:28 AM
What conservative views whould these be?

You crossed God off the list.

Think that the first line of defense to a natural disaster is the President, instead of the "elected" officials in the state of LA.

Claim global warming as a fact, when there have been historical cycles that have had hotter periods BEFORE the world was industrialized.

You claim investing in the stock market as being conservative. But prolly only do this because you know the Liberal entitlement of SS is a joke.

Lemme ask you this. If Clinton were president and the LA elect were republicans, who would you balme for the Katrina problem?

I'm not going to join in a 10 page rant on this. You really don't know me or where I really stand. God is not out, I just do not believe in hard right wing christian beliefs, or any other religion of strict conservative values. Taliban anyone.

I appologize to others for turning this into a political thread. I'm an idiot for falling prey to this stuff. I'm tired of people always painting this country and it's citizens as balck or white, or if you are not with us you are against us mentality. Time for lots of us to stop being blue or red, and try to be more purple. I find it hard to believe any of us are really that one sided in either direction.

That is all, please carry on with this thread and its original subject matter.

ICE74129
11-10-2006, 11:34 AM
So are You.For what?

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 12:02 PM
For what?

For my prayers.

BidsJr
11-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm not going to join in a 10 page rant on this. You really don't know me or where I really stand. God is not out, I just do not believe in hard right wing christian beliefs, or any other religion of strict conservative values. Taliban anyone.

I already know you well enough.

I believe in doing what God tells us to do.

If some of those thinge lump me in as "strict conservative values," then so be it.

The problem is when people start letting their own personal opinions and beliefs get in the way of God's will toward man.

To be a "God fearing" man, and know not what God says is an oxymoron.

PECKERWOOD
11-10-2006, 12:46 PM

I appologize to others for turning this into a political thread. I'm an idiot for falling prey to this stuff. I'm tired of people always painting this country and it's citizens as balck or white, or if you are not with us you are against us mentality. Time for lots of us to stop being blue or red, and try to be more purple. I find it hard to believe any of us are really that one sided in either direction.

That is all, please carry on with this thread and its original subject matter.

Should we take a tour of all the religous whackos that supported Bush.

You insult Christians, and then you tell people to be more 'purple'? GIVE ME A BREAK. That was a slap in the face to me, and many others, and even some liberals. How dare you insult me, by trying to bring my religion into politics. I dont bash liberals for being mostly gay and atheist, what a cheap shot that is, you oughta be ashamed of yourself.

P.S. - Incase you didnt know, many Liberals were in support of the WAR. HAVE A GOOD DAY.

jamze132
11-10-2006, 05:08 PM
For what it's worth, I was stationed at FT. Lewis when Pat was killed in Afghanistan. I personally know one of the "shooters", and there is more to the story than the media actually knows. People did **** up. But it might not be who you think it was.

AFJoe
11-11-2006, 12:14 AM
For the gentleman at Lewis, i agree with you. In the SOCOM community blame has been put on someone, and it isn't the young rangers being blamed. The squad leader losy contact with his team, allowing for an ambush. The squad leader didn't set up return fire on the ambushers. The squad leader didn't make radio contact with the rest of the team to allow them to locate him. The squad leader positioned himself in front of the sun, at the same height as the attackers. The squad leader had a NA fighter with him in a bad position. This whole thing has problems, mostly by the squad leader (Tillman). But crap happens, so I forgive him. Hopefully the media and his family will forgive the other rangers who were in a bad situation.

As for the gentleman who mentioned Desert Storm. Totally different situation, and guessing you never served in a small special ops team that was ambushed in this situation. Everything changes. It sucks. Everyone messed up, it happens, especially in an ambush, outnumbered. They must have done something right, because if you want to be a stickler for teh rules, 60% of teh squad should have died in that ambush and they didn't? What, that doesn't make sense? I thought everything was set in stone, rules are rules? Guess what, they're not.

I go back to my original statement. Please leave the young rangers alone, they did nothing wrong. They were in a 6 minute ambush (which feels like 60 minutes) and were trying to stay alive. The team is lucky only one person died, not the entire squad. This story is ruining the speical operations reputation. And myself and my former teams are getting sick of it, especially when a bunch of reporters and others pretend they are combat experts. There is no such thing.

jamze132
11-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Very true.

Jan Reimers
11-11-2006, 06:12 AM
So, how do we think the Bills will do tomorrow?

chernobylwraiths
11-11-2006, 08:40 AM
So, how do we think the Bills will do tomorrow?

Not well. I would like to see Thomas get about 150. It has been a long time since I saw a Bill with Thomas on the back run for a lot of yards.

Novacane
11-11-2006, 08:40 AM

:roflmao:

Novacane
11-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks to AFjoe, Cgal and everyone else here on the board who has served this country.

PECKERWOOD
11-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks to AFjoe, Cgal and everyone else here on the board who has served this country.

Oooh, Cgal is a vet? Something is hawt about a lady with a gun. :crush:

Mr. Cynical
11-11-2006, 02:30 PM

Thank you for your tremendous insight. I don't want to sound girly, but every time I see interviews with soldiers on the field I start to feel a bit emotional. You guys are putting your lives on the line for the country. You deserve special treatment - I don't care what anyone says. I know that I could never have the nerve to be out there - I just don't have the courage - so I deeply, deeply appreciate the fact that there are people like you who do.

I'm not condoning war crimes by any means, but people who are not in combat need to let the millitary run the military. And the press needs to STFU and stop measuring these events like some political paper fight. Different rules apply when your actual LIFE is on the line.

To all our active duty military and veterans.

:salute:

ddaryl
11-12-2006, 02:52 AM
You insult Christians, and then you tell people to be more 'purple'? GIVE ME A BREAK. That was a slap in the face to me, and many others, and even some liberals. How dare you insult me, by trying to bring my religion into politics. I dont bash liberals for being mostly gay and atheist, what a cheap shot that is, you oughta be ashamed of yourself.

P.S. - Incase you didnt know, many Liberals were in support of the WAR. HAVE A GOOD DAY.

OK I will appologize to you and all people of religion who I might have offended.

BUT, I think you might have mis-interpreted my statement. I don't think all evangelicans are whackos, just the over zealous religous leaders that try to shape strict religous policy as law. I know many persons who are of strong religous beliefs and they view these hard-nosed evangelicans as manipulators, and that is what I was trying to communicate. I felt Bush was more then willing to remove the seperation of Church and State during his tenure, and that is something I can never accept.

I admit what I said was too strong, and I did it hastenly, and emotionally, and it came out as insulting.

however it was Reimers post that I found insulting, and honestly pretty laughable and rediculous that triggered much of my tirade, and emotionally charge retort.

I already know you well enough.

I believe in doing what God tells us to do.

If some of those thinge lump me in as "strict conservative values," then so be it.

The problem is when people start letting their own personal opinions and beliefs get in the way of God's will toward man.

To be a "God fearing" man, and know not what God says is an oxymoron.

1st no you don't know me at all, let alone well enough. If you feel you know me well enough then you've fallen prey to some idealogy that anybody who does not share you view point is lumped into some sort of "other" category.

I have no problem with you having strict conservative values, just don't allow them to be forced into mainstream politics. You are more then welcomed to practice your religion non-violently. Just don't try to force or expect others to live by your personal code.