PDA

View Full Version : Questions to answer before throwing JP under the bus!

historypete
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Look it has been a long, long time since I've posted, but this is a question I don't think many here have addressed fully.

First of all let me say I'm not ready to toss JP out after 17 games, especially after giving up the draft picks we did. That is a high price to pay for a guy we don't give a legitimate chance to. Look if JP was in the same situation as David Carr or Kyle Boller of Joey Harrington, who all have had at least 4 full seasons (or close too), and the same struggles continued I would be in favor of dumping him. But after 17 games this is too early to give up, despite the lack of progression.

Now here are some questions I think we should ask if JP is tossed after this year.

1: Who Quarterbacks this team next year???
Holcomb -I don't think so, not a 35 year old QB with the arm strength of a 9 year old

Nall- Maybe, but is this really a viable option considering Green Bay drafted Rodgers with him behind Farve for 3 years???

A Free Agent? Okay, then who? Leftwich if we make a trade. I love the guy but he is injury prone and has the longest windup to throw a ball in the history of the NFL. That coupled with his immobility makes him a hospital patient in-waiting.

How about Schaub?? I like him too, but then again what have we really seen from him? Plus his arm strength isn't great, and that will work in a dome, but not Orchard Park.

Then we turn to the draft. Brady Quinn will be gone, Brian Brohm might be there and I do not like Troy Smith from OSU. But here is the key question, if we draft a QB how long do we give him before we can make a judgement??? 16 games like JP, 24 games someone please give me a number that is acceptable. Then if we draft another QB in the 1st or 2nd round, how is he supposed to develop behind this horrible line. Making anyone play behind this line is wrong, and they should be jailed.

Look JP might not work out, but we all have to ask questions about what are we going to do if we, for lack of a better term, sack him. It is easy to say get rid of him, he hasn't progressed, this was a waste. But the important question is who do we replace him with and how do we make that person successful behind this pitiful offensive line, and lack of surrounding talent????

mybills
11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
All good questions.
Today's performance should've poked a few jp haters in the eyeballs, since most of us already knew just how bad the OL sucks. If they still can't see that, I know an excellent eye doctor they can visit.
And injury prone or not, I wouldn't mind having Leftwich as another option.

GFLuNEEDit
11-12-2006, 04:54 PM
First of all let me say I'm not ready to toss JP out after 17 games, especially after giving up the draft picks we did. That is a high price to pay for a guy we don't give a legitimate chance to. Look if JP was in the same situation as David Carr or Kyle Boller of Joey Harrington, who all have had at least 4 full seasons (or close too), and the same struggles continued I would be in favor of dumping him. But after 17 games this is too early to give up, despite the lack of progression.

Rivers doesn't have 17 starts.

This experiment is over.
Ralph Wilson will step in and put an end to it at the end of the season if not sooner.
He won't be the starter next year.

Bling
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Look JP might not work out, but we all have to ask questions about what are we going to do if we, for lack of a better term, sack him. It is easy to say get rid of him, he hasn't progressed, this was a waste. But the important question is who do we replace him with and how do we make that person successful behind this pitiful offensive line, and lack of surrounding talent????

He's been in the league for 3 friggin' years. Experience is measured by how years in the league you have been. Not how many games you've been in. You learn how to progress in practice. He's had 3 years of it. He's had 3 years of QB coaching. He's had 3 years of preseason. He's had 3 years of film. That was plenty for Rivers who tore it up in his first games. Zero games was enough for Roethlisbeger. 1 year was enough for Manning.

X-Era
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Look it has been a long, long time since I've posted, but this is a question I don't think many here have addressed fully.

Now here are some questions I think we should ask if JP is tossed after this year.

1: Who Quarterbacks this team next year???
Holcomb -I don't think so, not a 35 year old QB with the arm strength of a 9 year old

Nall- Maybe, but is this really a viable option considering Green Bay drafted Rodgers with him behind Farve for 3 years???

A Free Agent? Okay, then who? Leftwich if we make a trade. I love the guy but he is injury prone and has the longest windup to throw a ball in the history of the NFL. That coupled with his immobility makes him a hospital patient in-waiting.

How about Schaub?? I like him too, but then again what have we really seen from him? Plus his arm strength isn't great, and that will work in a dome, but not Orchard Park.

Then we turn to the draft. Brady Quinn will be gone, Brian Brohm might be there and I do not like Troy Smith from OSU. But here is the key question, if we draft a QB how long do we give him before we can make a judgement??? 16 games like JP, 24 games someone please give me a number that is acceptable. Then if we draft another QB in the 1st or 2nd round, how is he supposed to develop behind this horrible line. Making anyone play behind this line is wrong, and they should be jailed.

Its too early to talk about this. But this is a non-issue. No QB will be worthy of where we pick. Quinn will be gone, Brohm may be there and I like him, but we have more pressing needs. Jauron is a D minded head coach and Moses or Adams will be there (10 to15) range. Furthermore, we may need a CB if Clements leaves. I dont see Jauron starting all over with some new drafted QB and a young, but partially developed JP, when we need a shut down corner. Hall, Hughes, maybe Cason could be there. The draft is out, maybe Brohm, but this would be a TOUGH sell to the fans who has been watching mediocre QB play for years and now have to suck it up for another 2 seasons while we didnt address other needs.

Schaub? The guy has done NOTHING worthy of earning a starting job. Its Holcomb part 2. If hes such a great starting caliper QB why is he still a backup? There arent teams that could use him?

Guys, you may not like it but I think its likely that we improve the o-line, add talent on both sides, and continue to start Losman. Jauron's content with what he sees in him even after our bad year. Hes here to stay and I think he will be just fine with better players at some key spots.

GFLuNEEDit
11-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Questions to answer before throwing JP under the bus!

1. how many times should we back the bus up and do it again

GFLuNEEDit
11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Its too early to talk about this. But this is a non-issue. No QB will be worthy of where we pick. Quinn will be gone, Brohm may be there and I like him, but we have more pressing needs. Jauron is a D minded head coach and Moses or Adams will be there (10 to15) range. Furthermore, we may need a CB if Clements leaves. I dont see Jauron starting all over with some new drafted QB and a young, but partially developed JP,

Jauron won't be making that decision
Ralph Wilson is going to tell Jauron to get rid of him.

jimmifli
11-12-2006, 05:25 PM
They won't cut him. JP will be on the bench as a Bill next year.

Inetpub
11-12-2006, 11:00 PM
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

your asking the wrong questions.

1. Why are we wasting our time? You think TKO/Fletcher/Clements are willing to just say "Yeah its cause hes a rookie"? They are busting thier asses off. JP, well he has an excuse. Thats utter BS.
2. The OLine is probably busting thier asses off to try to protect JP. You think they are seriously going to care if JP is hurt? What do they get at the end of the day but *****ing from people. JP has no chemistry with them. NONE. All they are doing is trying to protect thier jobs. JP, well hes got a job that he "won".
3. We can replace him with anyone. You cant judge the Oline with another QB until you put another QB in there. If you think its a waste, I dont. I'd like to see what another QB can do. 80 yards is pitiful. ESPECIALLY VS Defenses that suck!

BSXIII
11-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Guys, you may not like it but I think its likely that we improve the o-line, add talent on both sides, and continue to start Losman. Jauron's content with what he sees in him even after our bad year. Hes here to stay and I think he will be just fine with better players at some key spots.

I think the evidence is mounting that this is not the case. Losman was hardly even a part of the game plan today. The coaching staff appears to have very little confidence in him. He’s basically being asked to just not lose games. He may be back next year because this team has a ton of needs, but upgrading the QB position will be very high on the priority list.