PDA

View Full Version : Behind The Scenes..

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
These Losman threads are getting rampant, obviously a tell tale sign of a QB controversy brewing. I guarantee this is going to explode before the seasons end. Before you read this, keep in mind I'm a Losman supporter, but this just sticks out to me.

There are some huge question marks about Losman, and our Coaching staff has been very shady as well. It wouldnt be much of a leap to assume that Fairchild has no faith in Losman. If he did, why is Losman only getting 15 attempts per game? I understand the concept of running the football, to take pressure off of the QB. But even in obvious situations, where you would expect the QB to pass the football, Fairchild opted to run instead. Why is this? Are they trying to keep pressure off of Losman? Lack of faith?.. This isnt a good sign for Bill's fans, if Fairchild is scared to open up the playbook with Losman at helm, another QB in Losman's place in the offseason is very likely. Thoughts?

Nighthawk
11-12-2006, 04:41 PM
It seems that a QB controversy may be brewing, but does it really make sense at this stage? Let Losman play some more games to see if he shows improvement...if he shows none by the 13th or 14th game, then put Nall in and see what you have. But it too early to pull the plug on JP yet.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
It seems that a QB controversy may be brewing, but does it really make sense at this stage? Let Losman play some more games to see if he shows improvement...if he shows none by the 13th or 14th game, then put Nall in and see what you have. But it too early to pull the plug on JP yet.

Losman is the best QB on our roster, and he should start the rest of the season. That's my stance. It's pretty obvious the coaching staff feels the same way, but thats not my point. With each passing game, its getting more and more blatant, that Fairchild has no faith in Losman. Honestly, its like Losmans only duty is to hand the ball off. He never gets a chance to throw the damn ball. Out of all the times we were in goal line situations, how come we didnt have Losman throw it into the endzone? Why not atleast once?

EDS
11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think a controversy is brewing, just that the front-office, coaching staff, players and fans are realizing that Losman is not likely the anwers at quarterback.

Michael82
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
What the hell do you guys think Nall is going to do? First of all, if the coaches thought anything of him or if he showed ANYTHING in practice, he would be the #2 QB. If you can't even beat out Holcomb, you don't deserve to start. :ill:

Devin
11-12-2006, 05:04 PM
What the hell do you guys think Nall is going to do? First of all, if the coaches thought anything of him or if he showed ANYTHING in practice, he would be the #2 QB. If you can't even beat out Holcomb, you don't deserve to start. :ill:

so let me get this right.

The coaches suck at playcalling, but their talent evaluation of current players is spot on.

Fairchild who loves to air the ball out, is terrified to throw anything over 10-15 yards.

And the two vets on the bench will only play worse then Losman is?

That right or no?

Michael82
11-12-2006, 05:14 PM

The coaches suck at playcalling, but their talent evaluation of current players is spot on.

Fairchild who loves to air the ball out, is terrified to throw anything over 10-15 yards.

That right or no?
Ummm, Fairchild is terrified to go deep because he knows that he can't. Have you seen our OL? I know this topic is beat to death, but there is no way in hell they would be able to hold a block for 5-6 seconds which is what you would need to go deep. Plus, our receivers aren't getting open. :crazy: ARGGHHHH! http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/mur.gif

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 05:17 PM

That right or no?

I wouldnt call Nall a vet. Holcomb may give us a better shot at winning, who knows, really?

ghz in pittsburgh
11-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I thought the coaching staff is getting better at understanding this team. 3rd and long, the protection just doesn't hold up, far from consistent. They also have a QB who does not see the field well yet. So they wise up and play conservative.

DraftBoy
11-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Ummm, Fairchild is terrified to go deep because he knows that he can't. Have you seen our OL? I know this topic is beat to death, but there is no way in hell they would be able to hold a block for 5-6 seconds which is what you would need to go deep. Plus, our receivers aren't getting open. :crazy: ARGGHHHH! http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/mur.gif

We have more than 3 passes I believe of over 50 yards...Fairchild doesnt have the personell to go deep, not that he is terrified to do so.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I thought the coaching staff is getting better at understanding this team. 3rd and long, the protection just doesn't hold up, far from consistent. They also have a QB who does not see the field well yet. So they wise up and play conservative.

I believe that, people learn best by doing. Why dont they let JP play football? 15 attempts a game is nothing. How are we suppose to spread out the D, when we cannot pass the football? While our OL isnt the best, thats no excuse for 15 attempts. Thats what OC's do to make the game easier on rookie QB's, not a 3+ year veteran. If things arent clicking for JP in his head by the end of this season, I'm afraid things will never click for him. I'm still clinging to the hope that he can rebound, its just not very likely.

The_Philster
11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
We have more than 3 passes I believe of over 50 yards...Fairchild doesnt have the personell to go deep, not that he is terrified to do so.
he has the personnel at WR...but not at O-Line...I'm guessing that's what you mean?

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 06:34 PM

All of WR's are practically speed burners, and with a little bit of max protection, to help make up for our ****ty OL, we should be able to go deep a couple of times.

don137
11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
The inability to throw deep and the lack of confidence to throw deep is the fault of both Losman and the OL. Losman holds the ball too long when the OL gives him time and at other times the OL is not blocking effectively.

DraftBoy
11-12-2006, 06:40 PM
he has the personnel at WR...but not at O-Line...I'm guessing that's what you mean?

No he doesnt have the personnell at WR, just because your fast, doesnt mean your a good deep threat WR (in reference to BF comments)

We lack a possession WR, a slot WR, a true #2, a size WR. We have guys who could maybe do it (though only Parrish comes to mind as a slot guy) but nobody who has emerged. Fairchild will need what amounts to 2 #1 WR's. Like he did in STL with Holt and Bruce. We have Evans, but nobody else to run his vertical attack which only works if you have two consistent deep threats, so you can split the safeties and create a cushion between them and the LB's in a zone coverage scheme. Go deep to keep the safeties honest and the abuse the middle on crossing routes. Thats all depending on having a QB who can deliver the ball on time, with the right read, and the right touch. Which is another whole argument in itself.

St. Louis has never had a killer OL, its more based on the WR and the QB reads. Granted they never had quite as crappy an oline as we have.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 06:45 PM
No he doesnt have the personnell at WR, just because your fast, doesnt mean your a good deep threat WR (in reference to BF comments)

We lack a possession WR, a slot WR, a true #2, a size WR. We have guys who could maybe do it (though only Parrish comes to mind as a slot guy) but nobody who has emerged. Fairchild will need what amounts to 2 #1 WR's. Like he did in STL with Holt and Bruce. We have Evans, but nobody else to run his vertical attack which only works if you have two consistent deep threats, so you can split the safeties and create a cushion between them and the LB's in a zone coverage scheme. Go deep to keep the safeties honest and the abuse the middle on crossing routes. Thats all depending on having a QB who can deliver the ball on time, with the right read, and the right touch. Which is another whole argument in itself.

St. Louis has never had a killer OL, its more based on the WR and the QB reads. Granted they never had quite as crappy an oline as we have.

Evans, Parrish and Price have all proved to be legit deep threats. We DO have the personnel to go deep, atleast at WR, anyways.

DraftBoy
11-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Evans, Parrish and Price have all proved to be legit deep threats. We DO have the personnel to go deep, atleast at WR, anyways.

Since when did Parrish or Price prove to be legit deep threats? Parrish could emerge into one, but Price was once one, but not anytime recently. Parrish at this moment however is not a legit deep threat.

The_Philster
11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
actually, we don't....not completely. I see what Draftboy is saying, I think. If you want pure deep threats, sure...Evans, Parrish, and Peerless fit the bill...but a deep threat offense won't succeed without some solid underneath WRs as well...someone who can make the tough catches in traffic...and won't break if a LB hits him...someone like #84 of our next opponent ;)

Mr. Pink
11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Andre Davis is also a proven deep threat....hell his last year in cleveland he caught a 99 yard TD pass from Jeff Garcia, that Garcia threw 50 yards in the air. By the way, the Browns o-line wasn't any better 3 years ago than the Bills now.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Since when did Parrish or Price prove to be legit deep threats? Parrish could emerge into one, but Price was once one, but not anytime recently. Parrish at this moment however is not a legit deep threat.

Parrish has made two 50+ yard TD catches, pretty legit if you ask me. Price, was once one, so why not give him a shot at going out deep again? He flourished in the past as a deep threat..

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Andre Davis is also a proven deep threat....hell his last year in cleveland he caught a 99 yard TD pass from Jeff Garcia, that Garcia threw 50 yards in the air. By the way, the Browns o-line wasn't any better 3 years ago than the Bills now.

Good example. It really just boils down to conservative game calling, not to bash on anyone elses opinion. Just my take on it..

DraftBoy
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Parrish has made two 50+ yard TD catches, pretty legit if you ask me. Price, was once one, so why not give him a shot at going out deep again? He flourished in the past as a deep threat..

two catches do not make you a deep threat and I believe atleast one of those was a short pass he made a long run on. You could probably ask Atlanta and Dallas as to why not to give him a shot at going deep again....Or our coaches who Im sure have looked into it. I think your still hung up on this speed makes deep threat thing. There is alot more like; route running, break tackle ability, and jumping ability. Not to begin to mention knowing your QB, reading coverages, changing routes and much more. Speed means very little in the long run.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
two catches do not make you a deep threat and I believe atleast one of those was a short pass he made a long run on. You could probably ask Atlanta and Dallas as to why not to give him a shot at going deep again....Or our coaches who Im sure have looked into it. I think your still hung up on this speed makes deep threat thing. There is alot more like; route running, break tackle ability, and jumping ability. Not to begin to mention knowing your QB, reading coverages, changing routes and much more. Speed means very little in the long run.

two catches do not make you a deep threat and I believe atleast one of those was a short pass he made a long run on.

Your right, one catch was a short pass. The other one was a bomb. Even with all that said, Parrish has played only in limited action. He has been a legit deep threat for us this year, he is averaging 16.0 yards per catch, if that isnt a deep threat, I'm afraid I do not know what a deep threat is..

Not to begin to mention knowing your QB, reading coverages, changing routes and much more. Speed means very little in the long run.

How are these guys going to get to know JP if they dont let him pass? As far as reading coverage and changing routes, they should be studying film all week long. :idunno: I agree that speed isnt the only factor, but it is very important. The quicker you can get down field, the easier it is for your OL and QB to hold up against the pass rush.

In the end, my point is simple.. There is no reason why we should keep doing these stupid, dink and dunk type of throws. We need to throw the ball down field more. I think once we can start doing that effectively, everything else will fall into place.