View Full Version : Pros and Cons: Jeff Posey

northernbillfan
02-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Let's not waste any time with this. Pros and Cons on Jeff Posey

Pro: Really started to come into form last season with the Texans

Con: This is his 5th team in 6 seasons.

The Spin Rx
02-28-2003, 02:03 PM
He is poor against the run, and a wooden linebacker in pass coverage. However he is an excellent edge rusher. He is pretty much a one dimensional guy. He was a fan favorite in Houston though. He is certainly no marquee linebacker. No more screams of "Pocket full of Posey!!"

<center>http://www.chron.com/content/news/photos/02/09/08/texans/photo13.jpg</center>

northernbillfan
02-28-2003, 02:08 PM
I was hoping to hear from you on this Vinny.

So you're saying he will be a good back up LB, or is he worthy of starting?

The Spin Rx
02-28-2003, 02:21 PM
He is an excellent situational pass rusher. If that is what you got him for, it was a good pick up. If you want him to cover and stop the run, you made a mistake.

northernbillfan
02-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Donahoe hasn't made too many mistakes.

I think he has a plan for him.

Ingtar33
02-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Hmm,

Interesting take from a Texans fan... I haven't seen him much, I think I saw him in spot duty when he was with the 49ers and playing DE... and I saw him twice last year playing for the Texans, and once for the Jags the previous season. So you're saying he's weak against the run?

Because from what I saw he didn't look weak against the run, he just looked like a slightly below average tackler... from what I saw he was hard to move, and very quick, with a good nose for the ball... I figured that his tackling problems would go away once he became more comfortable with his position (last year was only his 3rd season as a LB).

In the spirit of this post...

Pro: Cheaper, bigger, faster version of Colvin (not as good a LB though)
Con: this would be his 4th season ever playing LB.

The Spin Rx
02-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Frankly, he is a journeyman that had no takers other than an expansion team last year. He does not play the run well. Just look at your tape of our game last season. Henry ran right at Posey. They stayed away from Wong's side.

I am not trying to make him sound like a bad signing... I wish we still had him as a situational guy. He can be a guy that comes up with 10 sacks. Just don't ask him to be a run stopper, or a competant cover-backer.

TigerJ
02-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro: Big, strong, and fast enough. Can take on blockers.

Con: Played in a 3-4 last year. An unknown quantity in a 4-3/46 defence.

He played DE in college and last year was his first shot at being a regular OLB in a starting role. I think he probably still has some upside, and may get better at run defence and even coverage as time goes by. I think Buffalo has rushing the QB in mind for him though.

Tatonka
02-28-2003, 09:02 PM
bryce paup

The Spin Rx
02-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Although Posey led the Texans with eight sacks last season, he was considered expendable by some in the organization who felt he was a player of average ability who flourished in a system tailored for outside linebackers. The Texans are one of the few teams in the NFL that use a 3-4 defensive alignment. Buffalo is a 4-3 defensive team. Posey has been cut three times by teams that use the 4-3.

<center>Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1800195)</center>

Prior to signing with the Texans last April, Posey was a journeyman who played for three teams during the 2001 season. Posey started just 20 games and only had three sacks during the first four years of his career, but he blossomed under Texans coach Dom Capers, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, linebackers coach Reggie Herring and defensive quality control coach Jedd Fisch, who also works with the linebackers.

Tatonka
02-28-2003, 11:51 PM
our version of the 4-3 is closer to the 3-4 that you used than a standard 4-3... we use the same 2 gap system ... this is one reason he was signed.. i dont give a crap if he flourished due to the system or his talent.. i just want him to put up similar or better numbers as last year.

BillsMan80
02-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Actually, Ingtar said in a different thread, and I can attest to that from my High School System that we have ran, that the 3-4 which Houston plays in has the same gap system and assignments(2-Gap) as the 46 hybrid defense that we run, so he will have a good idea of the role of the SLB in the system. I sense that Posey will be a good acquisition, simply because he's playing in a system that he should be familar with in some way and because he can get to the QB.

The Spin Rx
02-28-2003, 11:52 PM
He's yours now. I could give a crap also....

He can rush the passer. He just won't be on the field in short yardage situations (or at least shouldn't be).

I hope you enjoy your 8 sacks....;)

BillsMan80
02-28-2003, 11:58 PM
After last year, we certainly will enjoy 8 sacks. Heck, after Schobel, we couldn't get very much of anything in terms of sacks.

Doc
02-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Tom Donahoe said that Posey came on in the second half of the season (again as mentioned above, last year was just his 4th as a LB'er) and that he can cover the TE.

The Spin Rx
03-01-2003, 12:04 AM
No, he can't cover the TE. You may squat him over the LB, but he won't be able to cover him.

If you keep him to what he does well, you will keep him a situational pass rusher. He has been in the league 5 years, and this is his 4th team.

I wish him luck. I have nothing against him and he was a fan favorite. You will find some Pockets full of Posey a few times next year.

justasportsfan
03-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by The Spin Rx
Frankly, he is a journeyman that had no takers other than an expansion team last year. He does not play the run well. Just look at your tape of our game last season. Henry ran right at Posey. They stayed away from Wong's side.

3 solo
1-asst
1- sack
1 forced fum
1 -Pass def.
these aren't great nos. but considering the type of D we had. They are not bad. He should be playing better with a better support. IF we do get better players.

jdbillsfan
03-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Pro: Hmmm..... still trying to figure that out.

Con: Journeyman in a contract year who has been in the league for 4 years and has been cut about 8 times. Doesn't solve our need for a rush LB. Overpriced backup, if that. Probably ruins any chance at signing a real rush LB like Colvin.

Halbert
03-01-2003, 07:09 AM
pro: he was on one of my fantasy teams last season.

con: i only played him once.

don137
03-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by jdbillsfan
Pro: Hmmm..... still trying to figure that out.

Con: Journeyman in a contract year who has been in the league for 4 years and has been cut about 8 times. Doesn't solve our need for a rush LB. Overpriced backup, if that. Probably ruins any chance at signing a real rush LB like Colvin.

Buffalo can't go out and get every name player available like Colvin, Spikes, Douglas and Thorton. They have to fill a few positions with players of Posey's ability. The Bills made up there mind to get Posey early so they can spend the other cap money on either Petersen or Spikes. We need a linebacker that can stop the run (Petersen or Spikes) more. Colvin had two more sacks than Posey yet Posey will come around 2-3 million cheaper. Plus Posey only started 9 games.

WG
03-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Pro: He fills an empty spot, perhaps as a backup or role player

Con: His signing isn't going to improve our D by much other than by filling a position that we didn't have

Originally posted by don137

Buffalo can't go out and get every name player available like Colvin, Spikes, Douglas and Thorton. They have to fill a few positions with players of Posey's ability. The Bills made up there mind to get Posey early so they can spend the other cap money on either Petersen or Spikes. We need a linebacker that can stop the run (Petersen or Spikes) more. Colvin had two more sacks than Posey yet Posey will come around 2-3 million cheaper. Plus Posey only started 9 games.

I agree w/ ya don. If we get Peterson and Thornton or Noble along w/ a bunch of other "Poseys" etal., then I'll be happy. Anyone we have will play up with those guys around and our DL will be incredibly better w/ a Thornton or Noble giving the LBs a much needed break.

I'm thinkin' if we can fill our D needs w/ a an A/A+ OLB and DT, then a B/B+ player at the other OLB and DE spots will be fine. Now that it's out that TD has no intention of keeping Price, we know those bucks will get spent on some D talent w/ Peterson coming in and expressed interest in the others. I'd like to see us bring Thornton or Noble in too.

Schobel94
03-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Noble was signed by Washington jjust so ya know.

The_Philster
03-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Pro:could be a solid role player. Not every signing has to come with bells and whistles attached. Look at Marcus Price. His arrival was anything but heralded but he provided solid depth behind Jennings and Big Mike at OT and did an admirable job when called upon to start.