• northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Pros and Cons: Jeff Posey

Let's not waste any time with this. Pros and Cons on Jeff Posey

Pro: Really started to come into form last season with the Texans

Con: This is his 5th team in 6 seasons.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• The Spin Rx
    Formerly known as ExpansionBlues
    • Oct 2002

He is poor against the run, and a wooden linebacker in pass coverage. However he is an excellent edge rusher. He is pretty much a one dimensional guy. He was a fan favorite in Houston though. He is certainly no marquee linebacker. No more screams of "Pocket full of Posey!!"

>>click here<< for 911 tribute

No matter how cynical you are, you can't keep up.

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I was hoping to hear from you on this Vinny.

So you're saying he will be a good back up LB, or is he worthy of starting?
      When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• The Spin Rx
        • Oct 2002

He is an excellent situational pass rusher. If that is what you got him for, it was a good pick up. If you want him to cover and stop the run, you made a mistake.

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Donahoe hasn't made too many mistakes.

I think he has a plan for him.

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

Hmm,

Interesting take from a Texans fan... I haven't seen him much, I think I saw him in spot duty when he was with the 49ers and playing DE... and I saw him twice last year playing for the Texans, and once for the Jags the previous season. So you're saying he's weak against the run?

Because from what I saw he didn't look weak against the run, he just looked like a slightly below average tackler... from what I saw he was hard to move, and very quick, with a good nose for the ball... I figured that his tackling problems would go away once he became more comfortable with his position (last year was only his 3rd season as a LB).

In the spirit of this post...

Pro: Cheaper, bigger, faster version of Colvin (not as good a LB though)
            Con: this would be his 4th season ever playing LB.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• The Spin Rx
              • Oct 2002

Frankly, he is a journeyman that had no takers other than an expansion team last year. He does not play the run well. Just look at your tape of our game last season. Henry ran right at Posey. They stayed away from Wong's side.

I am not trying to make him sound like a bad signing... I wish we still had him as a situational guy. He can be a guy that comes up with 10 sacks. Just don't ask him to be a run stopper, or a competant cover-backer.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Pro: Big, strong, and fast enough. Can take on blockers.

Con: Played in a 3-4 last year. An unknown quantity in a 4-3/46 defence.

He played DE in college and last year was his first shot at being a regular OLB in a starting role. I think he probably still has some upside, and may get better at run defence and even coverage as time goes by. I think Buffalo has rushing the QB in mind for him though.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

bryce paup
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spin Rx
                    • Oct 2002

Although Posey led the Texans with eight sacks last season, he was considered expendable by some in the organization who felt he was a player of average ability who flourished in a system tailored for outside linebackers. The Texans are one of the few teams in the NFL that use a 3-4 defensive alignment. Buffalo is a 4-3 defensive team. Posey has been cut three times by teams that use the 4-3.
                    Houston Chronicle

Prior to signing with the Texans last April, Posey was a journeyman who played for three teams during the 2001 season. Posey started just 20 games and only had three sacks during the first four years of his career, but he blossomed under Texans coach Dom Capers, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, linebackers coach Reggie Herring and defensive quality control coach Jedd Fisch, who also works with the linebackers.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

our version of the 4-3 is closer to the 3-4 that you used than a standard 4-3... we use the same 2 gap system ... this is one reason he was signed.. i dont give a crap if he flourished due to the system or his talent.. i just want him to put up similar or better numbers as last year.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• BillsMan80
                        Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                        • Jul 2002

Actually, Ingtar said in a different thread, and I can attest to that from my High School System that we have ran, that the 3-4 which Houston plays in has the same gap system and assignments(2-Gap) as the 46 hybrid defense that we run, so he will have a good idea of the role of the SLB in the system. I sense that Posey will be a good acquisition, simply because he's playing in a system that he should be familar with in some way and because he can get to the QB.
                        The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                        THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• The Spin Rx
                          • Oct 2002

He's yours now. I could give a crap also....

He can rush the passer. He just won't be on the field in short yardage situations (or at least shouldn't be).

I hope you enjoy your 8 sacks....

Comment

• BillsMan80
                            Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                            • Jul 2002

After last year, we certainly will enjoy 8 sacks. Heck, after Schobel, we couldn't get very much of anything in terms of sacks.
                            The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                            THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• Doc
                              • Dec 2002

Tom Donahoe said that Posey came on in the second half of the season (again as mentioned above, last year was just his 4th as a LB'er) and that he can cover the TE.

Comment

Working...
                              X