PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from the game today....

Mr. Pink
11-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I decided to wait a few hours before posting, so I didn't go on pure emotion of what I witnessed and stuck to facts and observation. I'll make sure to touch on Losman last so he doesn't taint my opinion of anyone else on this team.

A-train was about the only offensive firepower we had in this game. He had a workmanlike day against the leagues worst rush defense. The only negative about his performance was his 3.9 ypc when the colts were giving up over 5 coming in to it. He did however give his all and grinded out the yardage.

Tight Ends? We have those? Where? somebody on another post mentioned we got Royal for his blocking ability. His attempt to block Freeney was royally something, but most people flush that down the toilet.

O-line...This is probably the best they've performed all year. Only 1 sack I can attribute to the o-line being flat out beat this week. The first sack was on Shelton who got in the way of Pennington. Onto Pennington, he hasn't been bad hasn't been great, I wouldn't go as far as saying he should be out of the lineup yet.

WRs...ummmm, we have those outside of Evans and Price catching screens? Evans had a good day considering what he had to work with as a gameplan, Price on the other hand looked timid, especially when he went down before being touched. I don't even think andre davis runs pass patterns.

Defensively we played solid almost all day...almost being the keyword....seeing when it came down to it, the Colts were allowed to run off the final 6 minutes. I can't harp on them too badly, because they held Peyton pretty much in check all day.

The D-line didn't do anything special and yet another week Triplett is nowhere to be seen.

Linebackers as a whole had a good day with Angelo Crowell easily having his best performance of the season. Only complaint on him is right before the TD to Wayne he had a tipped ball go through his fingers, but it's not that big seeing he didn't anticipate it. However against a team like Indy you need to capitalize on every opportunity.

Secondary....Easily their best performance of the season as well. McGee after a few bad games stepped up and performed well. Nate showed up two weeks in a row!!! I need to say that again because I'm shocked...Nate showed up two weeks in a row!! The safeties while not having a huge impact on anything didn't get burned.

Special Teams...other than the missed Lindell kick performed perfectly. Good coverage and tackling, especially the tackle by Davis early. McGee showed his worth as a return man. And Moorman had another good day, as per usual. Sadly our best two players come on ST...Moorman and McGee.

Unfortunately I have to move on to the QB now. I won't use any "cool" nicknames for him but I refuse to mention him by name. To me his name is worse than the last number 7 we had around here, at least that number 7 helped us win ball games.

Our QB while didn't lose the game for us, did JACK SQUAT to help win the game. Yes, I realize the coaching staff has him completely reigned in now to limit his opportunities to kill us but there are still opportunities to make plays. He made as many plays today as any of us posting here, zero.

Maybe the staff has him reigned in because they doubt his abilities/know how, I could believe that because he still ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and fumbled, even though the refs called him down by contact. His progression from week to week is literally non-existent, apparently most of you can't see that or better still are blind to it.

BUT if our staff has that little confidence in the guy, why do they still parade him out here? It makes no sense, we're trying to develop someone but only allow him to throw 12 times? What kind of development is anyone going to get only throwing 12 times?

Overall good play, execution and coaching against the best team in football....only faults are some aspects of the game plan, not in whole, because it basically worked...and the fact the guy behind center still can't make a play to help this team win.

The_Philster
11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Good post overall :bf1:
His progression from week to week is literally non-existent, apparently most of you can't see that or better still are blind to it.
actually, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that doesn't see it...reining him in after the Bears debacle was the right move...but after 2 good, not great, games, now's the time they have to start loosening the reins a little more again. Right now, he's playing well enough to not lose games for us...but the only way teams succeed with those types of QBs is with a load of talent surrounding them. I'd love to say I see us having a lot of talent on the team next year...but there's no way of knowing what we'll have. And a caretaker QB (which is all that we're seeing that JP can do at the moment) isn't enough. We need a QB who can make plays when he has to. They need to find out of JP can be that kind of QB...and that requires letting him play.

Novacane
11-12-2006, 07:18 PM
A-train was about the only offensive firepower we had in this game. He had a workmanlike day against the leagues worst rush defense. The only negative about his performance was his 3.9 ypc when the colts were giving up over 5 coming in to it. He did however give his all and grinded out the yardage.

That is still pretty good with the Colts playing 9 men up and daring us to throw. If we had a QB that put even a little fear in them A-train would have had a huge day

Yasgur's Farm
11-12-2006, 07:49 PM
You say the reason they've given him few opportunities to pass these last 2 games is because they want to...

...limit his opportunities to kill us
And because they...
doubt his abilities/know how
And that they have...
...little confidence in the guy Then you go on to say that (given your above observations) you don't understand why they continue to...
parade him out there

A sound thinking person would reallize that when the results don't line up with the hypothesis'... The hypothesis' are flawed, tainted, invalid.

YardRat
11-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Sounds logical to me.

Yasgur's Farm
11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Actually... The point I'm making... The fact that JP's had few opportunities the last 2 games is more likely due to game planning against 2 future HOF QB's... It worked last week... almost worked this week.

That seems like a more logical hypothesis at this point.