PDA

View Full Version : Losman is not stupid

GFLuNEEDit
11-13-2006, 02:44 AM
I've heard it suggested that part of the reason Losman is struggling is because he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But this isn't evidenced by his score on the wonderlic test.

I don't think it would shock anyone to hear that Jim Kelly didn't excel on the wonderlic test.

But it might come as a mild suprise that Losman's score was double that of Kelly's or Marino's.

Football isn't rocket science and all the phony emphasis coaches put into describing coverages as complex isn't anything more than propping up their own ego's.

Some of these coaches and players might genuinely believe this bulls**t only because football might actually be the most complex thing they have ever been exposed to.

Whatever the reasons are for Losman struggling , this isn't one of them.

LtFinFan66
11-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Marino scored like a 14 on that. I think they put way too much stock in that.

The_Philster
11-13-2006, 04:36 AM
And the best player on the O-line scored the lowest out of all the players on the O-line if I'm not mistaken

CuseJetsFan83
11-13-2006, 04:38 AM
well vince young did so horrible.... last i checked even though the titans are lost for the year, young is playing pretty well........ although the kid in TB may be the most talented qb from the past few years

YardRat
11-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Wonderlic smarts and football smarts are two different things.

CuseJetsFan83
11-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Wonderlic smarts and football smarts are two different things.

exactly!

Philagape
11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
It's because he's learning to be a pocket passer for the first time in his life.

He's running a lot less this year than he did last year, undoubtedly because a new coaching staff wants it that way. This season is like starting all over for him. That's frustrating of course, and some will say to give up and bring in another QB, but the line needs help more. Fix that first.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2006, 10:41 AM
A lot less is a bit of an exaggeration on his taking off with the ball.....

He had 31 attempts last year in 9 games played and 23 this year in 9 games played. Average attempts per game last year 3.4 this year 2.6 His YPC this year are down a yard and a half from what they were last year though.

He has also fumbled 2 times more this year and lost 2 more fumbles.

Philagape
11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Not just actual runs, but scrambling out of the pocket too.

jimmifli
11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
The wonderlic might predict how fast a player could learn a playbook but that's about it.

Football smarts is really about how fast the brain can interpret visual information and make some sense of it.

A simple comparison is driving. I'm sure everyone knows a driver who doesn't notice things until the last second. The light turns yellow, every other driver takes their foot off the gas and begins to brake. The brake lights of other cars come on before this driver has taken his/her foot off the gas. He/she is then forced to react at the last minute.

It isn't an intelligence question, it's how fast the person’s brain can take in the entire stimulus of the surroundings and elicit a response. That ability is as varied as intelligence, height, weight, strength or speed. It's a tangible skill.

JP seems like a bright guy. He just doesn't seem to have that skill.