PDA

View Full Version : Good news/bad news

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
The good news is that for the second time this season, we went on the road against a tough opponent and didn't completely embarrass ourselves. The D played strong and forced turnovers- they were going for the ball on every play and it eventually paid off (contrast this in the GB game, where GB GAVE them turnovers). ST came through with a few plays and is finally starting to look like the unit it was last year.

The bad news: once again, we came within 1 or 2 plays of beating a significantly better opponent. Think of how much differently this season could be if we could have pulled it out against NE and Indy- we'd be 5-4 and so would NE. Our offense looked absolutely horrendous and couldn't get in the endzone, despite numerous opportunities with a short field. The OL still can't pass block for ****, and our coaches had a good overall game plan but made horrible calls during the game and showed no ability to make adjustments. Our front 4 on D still can't get pressure or stop the run.

It was a strong effort, but in the end, it's just another "big one that got away" story for this team.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
oh, one more good thing- A-Train continues to be the best FA pickup by far.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
statisticly, has our offense EVER been this bad? I mean historicly...anyone care to look it up?

ICE74129
11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
The good news is that for the second time this season, we went on the road against a tough opponent and didn't completely embarrass ourselves. The D played strong and forced turnovers- they were going for the ball on every play and it eventually paid off (contrast this in the GB game, where GB GAVE them turnovers). ST came through with a few plays and is finally starting to look like the unit it was last year.

The bad news: once again, we came within 1 or 2 plays of beating a significantly better opponent. Think of how much differently this season could be if we could have pulled it out against NE and Indy- we'd be 5-4 and so would NE. Our offense looked absolutely horrendous and couldn't get in the endzone, despite numerous opportunities with a short field. The OL still can't pass block for ****, and our coaches had a good overall game plan but made horrible calls during the game and showed no ability to make adjustments. Our front 4 on D still can't get pressure or stop the run.

It was a strong effort, but in the end, it's just another "big one that got away" story for this team.

the good news, we played a hell of a game against indy.

the bad news, your midol obviously ran out.

LtBillsFan66
11-13-2006, 12:21 PM
The good news - our D scores more TDs than our offence.
The bad news - our JP led offence can't score as much as our defence.

Saratoga Slim
11-13-2006, 12:27 PM

I totally agree. He's a helluva 2nd back. I can't say that I feel any more confident with Willis on the field.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 12:32 PM
the good news, we played a hell of a game against indy.

the bad news, your midol obviously ran out.

yeah, you're right. Obviously I'm just PMSing. We as fans have no reason to be upset about the fact that we failed to score a single offensive TD despite drive starts at the Indy 41 and Indy 12, had -8 (that's NEGATIVE 8) yards of offense in the red zone against the second-worst red zone D in the league and, oh yeah, LOST the game. :rolleyes:

LtBillsFan66
11-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Our D and special teams gives the O opportunities on a silver platter. Too bad we have the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf as QB.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Our D and special teams gives the O opportunities on a silver platter. Too bad we have the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf as QB.

I don't know if I'd call JP a bust, only because there has to be high expectations before a player can be a bust. As far as I know, only Tom Donahoe and Steve Fairchild thought JP was worth a 1st rounder.

shelby
11-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Op, i've got some Midol if you need some.:D

Seriously....:goodpost:,i agree with you.

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 12:54 PM

you're contradicting what you said in another thread. As far as what this post says, we're improving. :idunno:

ICE74129
11-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Op, i've got some Midol if you need some.:D

Seriously....:goodpost:,i agree with you.Oh he definately does

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
you're contradicting what you said in another thread. As far as what this post says, we're improving. :idunno:

I didn't say we weren't improving in the other thread- I said the in game adjustments weren't improving.

This is why you drive me insane. You take everything I say out of context and try to extrapolate one specific comment to be all-encompassing about the team or even about life in general.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh he definately does

yet another well-contrived, thoughtful contribution to this thread. You're on a roll, Ice- the jr high menstruation jokes are really contributing to the board.

patmoran2006
11-13-2006, 01:05 PM
LOL OP @ you paying attention to Ice's comments...

Our defense has scored 14 points in the last two games, and our special teams DIRECTLY set up another 6 points..(thank you Terrence)

We drove for a FG vs Indy offensively, and besides that our other points came on a bomb to Lee Evans who was open by 20 yards and a TD run by Thomas once GB mailed it in after the interception (in essence another score set up by our defense after Simpson's long INT return)

That's inexcusable.. "rebuilding" or not.

Oh one last thing.. Last week we played the WORST pass defense in the NFL, and this week we played the WORST run defense in the NFL, and they were missing both their safeties.

Dont worry though. Bet the farm Marv will have MULTIPLE new starters on offense next year as he did with the D this year, because its NOT just Losman's fault- he's merely only an obvious part of the problem- not the solution.

ICE74129
11-13-2006, 01:13 PM
yet another well-contrived, thoughtful contribution to this thread. You're on a roll, Ice- the jr high menstruation jokes are really contributing to the board.

no more or less than your constant *****ing and whining about the same thing over...and over...and over...and over...

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I said the in game adjustments weren't improving.

This is why you drive me insane. You take everything I say out of context and try to extrapolate one specific comment to be all-encompassing about the team or even about life in general.

OK. Even this is wrong. If we aren't improving on in game adjustments, how is it we had a chance to win agains the best team in the NFL as opposed to to getting blown away in the first half against lesser teams and yet say we aren't improving ? Eitherways you ARE WRONG. You can spin away from your self contradictory statements all you want.

BTW, did you just admit you are also wrong that this run D is better than last years? :D.

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 01:28 PM
We drove for a FG vs Indy offensively, and besides that our other points came on a bomb to Lee Evans who was open by 20 yards and a TD run by Thomas once GB mailed it in after the interception (in essence another score set up by our defense after Simpson's long INT return)

That's inexcusable.. "rebuilding" or not.

Oh one last thing.. Last week we played the WORST pass defense in the NFL, and this week we played the WORST run defense in the NFL, and they were missing both their safeties.

Dont worry though. Bet the farm Marv will have MULTIPLE new starters on offense next year as he did with the D this year, because its NOT just Losman's fault- he's merely only an obvious part of the problem- not the solution.

I agree this O is horrible. Screw Fairchild. Moolarkey is better. Who their right mind would think Fairchild is worth anything? I'd be surprised that anyone would be a Fairchild fan. Oh wait, you are Moran. It's easy to blame Jauron because you admitted you're Fairchild fan. Amazing that the unit that Fairchild handles is the worst unit on this team :rolleyes:

patmoran2006
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
maybe if Fairchild didnt have a mental cripple at QB he could run a better play selection..

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 01:39 PM
OK. Even this is wrong. If we aren't improving on in game adjustments, how is it we had a chance to win agains the best team in the NFL as opposed to to getting blown away in the first half against lesser teams and yet say we aren't improving ? Eitherways you ARE WRONG. You can spin away from your self contradictory statements all you want.

BTW, did you just admit you are also wrong that this run D is better than last years? :D.

the D is better as a whole- the DL still blows and that was obvious yesterday. The reason for the success was that Clements and McGee finally found a way to shut down receivers. I'm thinking they had a lot of help from the safeties and LB's since the middle of the field was so wide open all day, but the point is that they succeeded.

I'll never understand how we shut down the Colts' receivers but looked horrible in pass D against teams like the Jets and Lions.

Forward_Lateral
11-13-2006, 01:41 PM
What kills this team is the 88 yard KR by McGee, and then 3 plays for -10 yards, and settling for a FG. It sucks. 1st and 10 at the 12 and you can't score a freakin TD? It's been the achilles heel of the Buffalo Bills for the past umpteen years. Until they start turning drives into Touchdowns, this team will NEVER win the big game, EVER.

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 01:43 PM
maybe if Fairchild didnt have a mental cripple at QB he could run a better play selection..

SO blame our offensive woes on Jauron instead? :coocoo:

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 01:45 PM
the D is better as a whole- the DL still blows and that was obvious yesterday. The reason for the success was that Clements and McGee finally found a way to shut down receivers. I'm thinking they had a lot of help from the safeties and LB's since the middle of the field was so wide open all day, but the point is that they succeeded.

I'll never understand how we shut down the Colts' receivers but looked horrible in pass D against teams like the Jets and Lions.Oh cmon. Just say it. This run D is better than what you said it would be. :D It's a good thing you didn't take the bet :up:

PECKERWOOD
11-13-2006, 01:47 PM

Maybe if Fairchild let his QB pass the football. You cant blame Losman for Fairchilds ultra-conservative gameplan. Thats balogna. Losman cant do anything about that. How come we didnt take a shot at the redzone? It was run play after run play, ridiculous. I dont care, if Rob Johnson was our QB, you still have to take shots at the redzone.

SquishDaFish
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM
The coaches are handcuffing JP to make him better for the future. What part of that dont the haters understand. Jp is not the problem the OL and WRs who cant get open are the problem. Not to mention the fact we really dont have a TE that can play worth a lick.

The coaches will not allow JP to audible or scramble like he should be. They want him to be a pocket passer to learn defenses and get experience. Next year when they fix the OLine they will turn the keys to him and let him be the QB he can be. Watch and see.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh cmon. Just say it. This run D is better than what you said it would be. :D It's a good thing you didn't take the bet :up:

yeah but you said it yourself that I'm a pessimist- it's entirely within the realm of possibility for the run D to be better than I thought but still completely suck overall.

Just once, I'd like to see this run D shut someone down on 3rd and 3. They can't do it.

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 01:53 PM
yeah but you said it yourself that I'm a pessimist- it's entirely within the realm of possibility for the run D to be better than I thought but still completely suck overall.

Just once, I'd like to see this run D shut someone down on 3rd and 3. They can't do it.
So would I OP. Thing is, I never expected this D or any unit to be anything in their first year of rebuild.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 01:58 PM
So would I OP. Thing is, I never expected this D or any unit to be anything in their first year of rebuild.

honestly, I had no idea what to expect from this D for several reasons-
1. It's only 1 year removed from the 2004 D (2nd in the NFL) and has 7 of the same starters.
2. So many people blamed last year's D on Gray's schemes
3. Levy spent most of the off-season addressing the D (Tripplett, Bowen, K Thomas and most of the draft picks).

To me, the DL is disturbing. The rest of the D seems to be coming along nicely, but the DL still sucks.

and the TKO/Fletcher situation has me concerned. Fletch is gonna be expensive to keep and TKO still looks terrible.

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 02:12 PM
honestly, I had no idea what to expect from this D for several reasons-
.why you sonofa... :D .

Instead of waisting several posts going back and forth about how this run D was gonna be 31st or worst, you should've said that and saved us all the time. :mad:
I do like where this D is headed though. It's improving. Granted that they can't have a perfect game, as they get more familiar with the scheme + a few better players , they will get better

feelthepain
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM

Shouldn't the Oline get a little credit for his perfomance???

Michael82
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
The coaches are handcuffing JP to make him better for the future. What part of that dont the haters understand. Jp is not the problem the OL and WRs who cant get open are the problem. Not to mention the fact we really dont have a TE that can play worth a lick.

The coaches will not allow JP to audible or scramble like he should be. They want him to be a pocket passer to learn defenses and get experience. Next year when they fix the OLine they will turn the keys to him and let him be the QB he can be. Watch and see.
I just hope that it's not too late. I understand their thinking, but with this OL, you really can't have him do the pocket passer stuff. Why not wait until next year for that and then let him do his game this year? At least make it easier on him with some rollouts and the ability to run around in the pocket.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Shouldn't the Oline get a little credit for his perfomance???

yes but run blocking and pass blocking aren't the same thing. Our OL has been decent at run blocking all year. Their pass blocking, on the other hand, has been horrendous.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
why you sonofa... :D .

Instead of waisting several posts going back and forth about how this run D was gonna be 31st or worst, you should've said that and saved us all the time. :mad:
I do like where this D is headed though. It's improving. Granted that they can't have a perfect game, as they get more familiar with the scheme + a few better players , they will get better

well, allow me to re-state- I thought the D was going to suck because of the loss of our two run-stuffing DT's from 04, Tim Anderson, rookie safeties, TKO coming off his injury and Nate Clements being overrated.

But other people had me at least wondering if Gray's scheme was the problem all along and that made me think the D might not be as bad as I thought it would be.

I still think we need a true run-stuffing DT before this D will be successful, but they are starting to show some big-play ability.

GFLuNEEDit
11-13-2006, 02:42 PM

The first part any common sense person doesn't understand is the 'haters' weirdness.

The second part is the twisted logic that goes behind your theory that they handcuff him to "make him better for the future".

His losses are directly related to his lack of skill. They aren't holding back his ability to make him better. He just doesn't have enough ability.

I can't make any sense out of this . Do mean to say that they are storing it up. Is it acrueing interest while they are banking it ? LOL

Saratoga Slim
11-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm not inspired by JP's play, but I'll hold out on calling him a mental cripple.

However, on a larger scale your point is exactly why I've been arguing that the coaching staff needs a longer grace period. On defense, where we made almost all our offseason talent investments, we're playing pretty well. While we remain soft against the run, on the whole the unit is better than last year and still improving.

On offense, we suck. bad. And a lot of it is b/c we're stuck with more or less the same assemblage of characters as last year. I don't think you can cast too much blame on the coaching staff yet, when they simply don't have the players they need to execute a compelling offense. I think, as you noted in another post, that Marv will load up on offense this offseason. And next year the coaching staff will be truly on the hook.

feelthepain
11-17-2006, 11:50 PM
yes but run blocking and pass blocking aren't the same thing. Our OL has been decent at run blocking all year. Their pass blocking, on the other hand, has been horrendous.
I beg to differ, you can't judge your Olines performance in the passing game based on the stats right now, it just wouldn't be fair to the Oline. Maimi started the first four games with 21 sacks....with Daunte the oline looked like crap, they now have just 6 in the last four games and two wins gainst two very good teams with Joey. Joey is far more mobil then Daunte right now so getting to Joey is far tougher and Joey is a far better decision maker and far better at reading D's then Just pathetic and that makes getting to the QB much tougher or in other words making the Oline look much better. JUST PATHETIC isn't injured, he's well, just pathetic. "MOST", Bill fans wanted him to start the "whole season" to give him a fair chance, well you're getting your wish.

GFLuNEEDit
11-18-2006, 12:23 AM
I beg to differ, you can't judge your Olines performance in the passing game based on the stats right now, it just wouldn't be fair to the Oline. Maimi started the first four games with 21 sacks....with Daunte the oline looked like crap, they now have just 6 in the last four games and two wins gainst two very good teams with Joey. Joey is far more mobil then Daunte right now so getting to Joey is far tougher and Joey is a far better decision maker and far better at reading D's then Just pathetic and that makes getting to the QB much tougher or in other words making the Oline look much better. JUST PATHETIC isn't injured, he's well, just pathetic. "MOST", Bill fans wanted him to start the "whole season" to give him a fair chance, well you're getting your wish.

Another good example.

But they can't figure out that it's the QB.

jmb1099
11-18-2006, 05:56 AM
I see many articles that talk about how bad the oline is. So its not just J P supporters who are saying these things. We have had a crap oline for what almost 6 years or better now? Its fundamental football, if you have a bad line you will not be successful end of story.
FTP rasied an interesting point about A-train and the line which OP addressed nicely, but lets keep in focus two other things: He had one good game and it was against the worst rushing defense in the league. So while I think he played great, I am not willing to give too much credit to the line considering the circumstances.
In the long run I don't know if J P can be successful or not in the NFL, but I do know that until we fix the line we will never win as many games as we will lose

justasportsfan
11-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Didn't we stop a team in the redzone on 3rd and goal? I forget who we played.

GFLuNEEDit
11-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Maybe if Fairchild let his QB pass the football. You cant blame ****** for Fairchilds ultra-conservative gameplan. Thats balogna. ****** cant do anything about that. How come we didnt take a shot at the redzone? It was run play after run play, ridiculous. I dont care, if Rob Johnson was our QB, you still have to take shots at the redzone.

Or why couldn't superstar Mcgahee run the ball in before he got hurt.

He's another bust and until they get rid of these bums they will keep kicking field goals.

Luisito23
11-19-2006, 02:57 AM
I'll never understand how we shut down the Colts' receivers but looked horrible in pass D against teams like the Jets and Lions.

And on the road of all places....:curse:..

GO BILLS!!!!!

GFLuNEEDit
11-19-2006, 03:02 AM
And on the road of all places....:curse:..

GO BILLS!!!!!

Its a case of a great team like the colts dumbing it down.

They have no need to run anything but the basics vs the Bills

PECKERWOOD
11-19-2006, 03:09 AM

Stupid post.. No team ever dumbs down their gameplan against a weaker opponent. That's like giving them a chance. The NFL isn't like that. Each team comes out hard every week.

Luisito23
11-19-2006, 03:10 AM

Our secondary still played great, and so did our D.....Too bad we have no offense though........:tricycle:...

GO BILLS!!!!!

SABURZFAN
11-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Stupid post.. No team ever dumbs down their gameplan against a weaker opponent. That's like giving them a chance. The NFL isn't like that. Each team comes out hard every week.

there are things such as letdowns and looking ahead as well.you hear it all of the time on TV.we're just one of those teams where the upper echelon teams can be guilty of doing.look at the Bears.some admitted that they didn't have a good practice all week against the Fish.they had a big letdown and it bit them in the ass.