PDA

View Full Version : Teams with losing cultures ...and heroes who save them

bocephuz
11-13-2006, 02:20 PM
There comes a point with a sports franchise when a club has been so far removed from success that a culture of losing establishes itself and casts a pall over a team. This culture manifests itself not only in the locker room ... but on the sidelines and the field. The collective self image overpowers even indivduals who have high character and motivation. This phenomenon causes teams to lose close games.

See Arizona Cardinals / Tampa Bay Devil Rays..

Arizona Cardinals v Chicago Bears night game this year. The Bears fumbled through 3 quarters and were in a position to lose. They dug down deep and willed themselves mentally to win that game. Losing is no longer acceptable in Chicago. The Cardinals at the begining of the game were listening to the white angel on the left shoulder saying" I believe in you"... and in the 4th quarter fell to the temptation of the red devil on the left saying " It's o.k... the Cardinals are supposed to lose... people will be happy it was close"

Have the Bills fallen into that deep hole... or are they still teetering on the edge?

On the positive side for the Cardinals.. it seems that in every interview or appearance I've seen from Leinart he exudes confidence and a winning attitude and if anyone can turn around that culture it would be a guy like him ( a winner, a golden boy )

Does Losman have that same kind of confidence and character? When first drafted I was looking forward to the cocky Kelly-like guy I had heard so much about. Seems to me like he's been through enough battles and scrapes with his teammates to earn their ears . If that character does not manifest itself on and off the field now ... will it ever?

patmoran2006
11-13-2006, 03:16 PM
'Great post, and good points..

Devin
11-13-2006, 03:18 PM
:bf1: