PDA

View Full Version : Voice of Reason?

Mudflap1
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Guys,

I know you are all upset. It's frustrating being a Bills fan these days. However, after watching the past couple of games, there is one thing very apparent:

WE DO NOT HAVE THE HORSES! Period, end of story. There's no reason to get too worked up about how we didn't stop the Colts running at the end of the game, or J.P. sucks because he threw for 83 yards.

I've been very critical of Losman, and I think you have to say overall he hasn't shown that he is the answer yet. However, he did not lose the game yesterday. He was actually chatting it up on the sidelines a bit and seemed more focused. The gameplan was to play very conservative, keep the game close, keep the Colts' offense off the field, and hope to steal the game at the end. They almost did that, and to the best team in the NFL on the road. While almost doesn't cut it, the gameplan worked fairly well.

The problem? We don't have the offensive or defensive lines to get the job done. Our offensive line is completely pathetic. The left side, with Peters, isn't a complete embarrasment, but the right side is. Really horrible. I mean, really, really horrible. That's why the coaches called so many draw plays and had Losman only throw 7-8 yard passes. It's all he can get off. Everytime except once that I recall he dropped back for a longer pass he got sacked, and didn't have a chance to get away. No chance.

There's no question that Marv and Dick went on the cheap this offseason to clean out some of the trash/cap space that this team had. They brought in some young guys with upside that were inexpensive to see if any of them stepped up and could be players. Next year there is a lot of cap room, and I think you will see that Marv, Ralph, and Dick know they will have to go out and spend some money, and I think they know where. Offensive line, top priority, and defensive line, second priority.

The defense has actually played well enough for the Bills to win most of it's games this year. The problem is 1) turnovers, 2) the offense can't stay on the field, 3) the offense isn't capable of scoring 20+ points, 3) they are smallish on the d-line and get worn down late in games and don't get consistent pressure.

If the o-line can improve dramatically, the offense will be able to carry out its ball-control duties much better. Heck, earlier in the year they were doing alright at it. The line is banged up and is playing terrible right now. The coaches are obviously trying to get some sort of cohesion going on the left side to see if there is something there for next year with Peters/Gandy. The right side is going to be completely scrapped, and Fowler, literally I think is hanging in the middle.

If the o-line is dramatically improved with the ball-control offense working better, then you get a few beefeaters on the defensive line that can stuff the run better and rush the passer better, you have less pressure on the defense (as the offense would presumably be holding up it's end of the deal better), and the Bills are going to be in a lot more games.

It wouldn't hurt to get a good pass-catching TE also.

I know everyone is upset, but we have to exhibit patience. I actually see where the coaches are taking us with what they have. If, and the big question is if, Marv and Ralph make some waves in the offseason, this team has the capabilities to be dramatically improved next year, even if Losman is still on the roster. In Losman's defense, it's really, really difficult to evaluate him (particularly the last couple of games) with how bad the offensive line really is. He certainly hasn't been gangbusters, but I wouldn't say he's a bust either though. It's really hard to tell with this line.

Jon

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
one HUGE problem with that- a lot of teams have a lot of cap money, and the FA market is thin.

Considering Buffalo isn't the most desirable place to play these days, I don't know if we'll be able to bring in the kind of talent that we need.

Mudflap1
11-13-2006, 02:52 PM
one HUGE problem with that- a lot of teams have a lot of cap money, and the FA market is thin.

Considering Buffalo isn't the most desirable place to play these days, I don't know if we'll be able to bring in the kind of talent that we need.

Some teams have a lot of cap space. We have more than most. We'll see. That's Marv's job, to get it done, so let's see if he can do it.

Jon

ICE74129
11-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Again bull ****. We are 4th in money available to spend. 2 teams have about 2 mill more than us and the top dog has about 4-5. there is NO excuse to not be able to outbid for top FA's if we want....except Ralph Wilson needing about 60 mill out of his own pocket for signing bonuses. Which leads us to more guaranteed money in contracts to get around that.

So stop the BS about money and other teams having a ton. We can get virtually anyone we want IF Ralph and marv are willing to do so.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Again bull ****. We are 4th in money available to spend. 2 teams have about 2 mill more than us and the top dog has about 4-5. there is NO excuse to not be able to outbid for top FA's if we want....except Ralph Wilson needing about 60 mill out of his own pocket for signing bonuses. Which leads us to more guaranteed money in contracts to get around that.

So stop the BS about money and other teams having a ton. We can get virtually anyone we want IF Ralph and marv are willing to do so.

depends who the other big money teams are.

Honestly, if we offer a player a 25 million contract to come here and lose and NE offers him 23 to go there and win, where do you think he's going?

PECKERWOOD
11-13-2006, 03:13 PM

What Op is trying to say is that, we are going to have to pay more than a player is actually worth, in order to land big names. Think about it, who the **** wants to play in Buffalo? Who wants to live in Buffalo? I love my team, and wouldnt have it any other way. But honestly, the city ****ing sucks.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
What Op is trying to say is that, we are going to have to pay more than a player is actually worth, in order to land big names. Think about it, who the **** wants to play in Buffalo? Who wants to live in Buffalo? I love my team, and wouldnt have it any other way. But honestly, the city ****ing sucks.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Buffalo sucks, but it's tough to attract players to Buffalo when they could go to Boston, NYC, DC, San Diego, Miami- ie, places with better weather (in most cases) and more to do.

Also, people who live in Buffalo tend to discount the snow factor. I grew up in Rochester but I live in the DC area now, and I can't believe the reaction I get when I tell people where I'm from. "oh my god- how could you live there? There's so much snow!" People who aren't used to it are seriously put off by the thought of dealing with that much snow.

PECKERWOOD
11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say Buffalo sucks, but it's tough to attract players to Buffalo when they could go to Boston, NYC, DC, San Diego, Miami- ie, places with better weather (in most cases) and more to do.

Also, people who live in Buffalo tend to discount the snow factor. I grew up in Rochester but I live in the DC area now, and I can't believe the reaction I get when I tell people where I'm from. "oh my god- how could you live there? There's so much snow!" People who aren't used to it are seriously put off by the thought of dealing with that much snow.

I agree. I spent most of my childhood in Buffalo, till I was like 12. And I still visited regularly even when I didnt live there.. But I did move down to Virginia, Fairfax and then DC. And let me tell ya, when I came back to Buffalo it was honestly depressing. When you compare Buffalo to other cities, the only thing we really have on them is pizza and wings. After a while, dealing with 3 feet of snow every damn morning gets old, and freezing your ass off can lose all appealingness. But I will admit, the weather around Spring and Summer is perfect. If I could have it my way, I would spend those seasons here, and go down south for winter..

Again bull ****. We are 4th in money available to spend. 2 teams have about 2 mill more than us and the top dog has about 4-5.

Just because we are under cap, doesnt mean we actually have money to spend.

Mudflap1
11-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Correct, and we should target players from "cities that suck" such as St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, maybe Cincinnati (I say maybe because they are more of a vogue team these days), maybe Seattle (sucky city, but vogue team), Jacksonville, etc. Washington is another target because they always have to cut 50 players every year since they sign so many clowns to high contracts the previous year. Pittsburgh is often slow to the trigger to re-sign guys too, so they may be a target.

Jon