• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Chris Brown on Jp

LOSMAN'S SITUATION: A couple of weeks ago I stated my opinion as to why J.P. Losman's development was taking more time than some people wanted. I felt that because J.P. was allowed to run around and make plays with his legs in college at Tulane, he never had to learn the art of reading defenses quickly and make decisions with the football. As a result he's forced to learn it now at a much higher level. I agree with the Bills offensive staff that the best way to develop that skill is to keep him in the pocket and read what's going on downfield instead of taking off.
    However, the pass protection has become so suspect of late, that I don't know truly how much he's getting in terms of learning how to read defenses. There's no time to read defenses back there. He had 17 dropbacks Sunday and was sacked four times, and hurried on several others. That's almost once every four dropbacks he's getting dropped. Again even though I agree with the staff's approach in developing him as a true NFL quarterback, I'm starting to think the inconsistent pass protection is dramatically hindering that development.
    I asked coach Jauron what he thought about whether he thought J.P.'s development was being hindered by the pass protection. Here is his response.
    “We’re not happy with our performance," Jauron said. "We struggled in protection. That has a great effect on your quarterback whoever it is. J.P. is getting better and he performed pretty well. Again yesterday we had no turnovers offensively. That was a factor in keeping us in the ballgame. We have to continue to find the things that we can do well and do those things within our scheme, while we’re getting this offensive line together after the moves and developing. J.P. is part of some of the problems that we have, but he’s certainly not the only person. And I don’t think we’ve had a whole lot of luck. It seems like people take turns and the mistakes hurt us. The long and short of it is I do believe J.P. is developing. I do believe that he’s going to be a really good quarterback in this league and we’ve got to get him help. We’ve got to get him more help.”
    I followed up and asked specifically if the pass protection is consistent enough for him to read defenses in the pocket and develop and he had this response.
    “I really believe whatever happens you develop from it," Jauron said. "You learn something every day and on every play hopefully that advances your progress. He’s working at it. He’s done a good job.”
    He was also asked if they might look at rolling Losman out more and allow him to make plays on the move.
    “The play action, the bootlegs, we do have some sprint outs and you’ve seen it," Jauron said. "We could do it more. The nature of the game was a close football game and we tried to stay within our game plan and run the ball effectively and keep it away from them. When we threw the ball we knew their pass rush had tremendous speed. We wanted to get the ball up quick and out of his hands quick and when we didn’t we paid for it.”

Ty chris brown. Jp is having difficulties adjusting at the nfl level of being a pocket qb because he hardly did any at tulane. If you want to blame anyone for having this situation, blame TD. He drafted jp knowing he hardly had any experience in an offense as a pocket qb. He thought the coaches coming in could use him well and teach him, while he sat back and watch them use him improperly. But that's all history, we're stuck with jp for now.

Gee, you think you could roll him out just a little more, dick?

Discuss.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Chris Brown on Jp

I followed up and asked specifically if the pass protection is consistent enough for him to read defenses in the pocket and develop and he had this response.

“I really believe whatever happens you develop from it," Jauron said. "You learn something every day and on every play hopefully that advances your progress. He’s working at it. He’s done a good job.”
    A simple yes or no would've sufficed.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• GFLuNEEDit
      Senior Zoner
      • Oct 2006

He didn't ask him why Holcolm was getting sacked less when he was in there last year.

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
        A simple yes or no would've sufficed.

Really. Jauron sounds like a friggen politician with those responses

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by GFLuNEEDit
          He didn't ask him why Holcolm was getting sacked less when he was in there last year.
          I can answer that, Holcomb hardly ever looked downfield. It's not that hard to stay away from sacks if that's all you can do. Another thing is, Holcomb has had years of experience in that system. He himself admitted last years system was no different from what he's been playing his entire carreer. When they finally switched systems he struggled so badly that he couldn't even beat Losman.

I'm almost sure that if Fairchild called a play to go deep, KH is just gonna dump it off to avoid getting sacked.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

This answers the question, asked in several other threads, of why JP is getting so few attempts.

THE LINE. Period.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

Dont forget the Crap we have at TE and most of the WR pos.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by GFLuNEEDit
                Here we go again, last year everybody complained, because KH was throwing only short passes. I love to be a real Bills die hard fan, and I'll stand all year long behind JP, sorry guys.
                The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  I can answer that, Holcomb hardly ever looked downfield. It's not that hard to stay away from sacks if that's all you can do. Another thing is, Holcomb has had years of experience in that system. He himself admitted last years system was no different from what he's been playing his entire carreer. When they finally switched systems he struggled so badly that he couldn't even beat Losman.

I'm almost sure that if Fairchild called a play to go deep, KH is just gonna dump it off to avoid getting sacked.
                  Fantastic analysis. I agree.. Another thing you notice about the good QB's, they look downfield and if nothing is there, they then dump it off..

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

While it's a good thing that JP protected the ball well the past two games, it's pretty sorry when the best thing the coach can say about the offense is "we didn't turn the ball over."

And this just makes TD look like an even bigger moron. Who the hell uses a first round draft pick on a QB who doesn't know how to read defenses? It's pretty obvious that physical tools are simply not enough in the NFL- you need to be able to read defenses as well. Think of all the physically gifted guys who have failed in this league: Boller, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Patrick Ramsey and I wouldn't say Drew Bledsoe has failed but his lack of quick thinking ability has certainly held him back.

And then you have the opposite examples- guys like Brady and Chad Pennington. Pennington has a weak arm but he knows where to go with the ball and he's incredibly smart, so he still racks up yards. I wouldn't say Brady has a weak arm, but he certainly doesn't have the arm strength or mobility of Losman. He more than makes up for it with intelligence and poise. Even noodle-arm Kelly Holcomb has been more successful than one would predict based on physical tools alone.

Hopefully JP can get it but it seems like Donahoe took a BIG risk by drafting a QB that never had to read defenses, and we're paying the price now as Losman is forced into on the job training behind a **** OL.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      Hopefully JP can get it but it seems like Donahoe took a BIG risk by drafting a QB that never had to read defenses, and we're paying the price now as Losman is forced into on the job training behind a **** OL.
                      It's the second part of that statement that makes the situation frustrating. Between inept management, a poor team around him and an entirely new offense to learn, JP's development has been handled as poorly as it can be handled.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Novacane
                        Really. Jauron sounds like a friggen politician with those responses
                        I agree. You ask him a question, and after his response you feel even more clueless than you did before you asked him.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                          It's the second part of that statement that makes the situation frustrating. Between inept management, a poor team around him and an entirely new offense to learn, JP's development has been handled as poorly as it can be handled.
                          in Marv's book, he talks a lot about developing QB's, mostly from when he was an assistant to George Allen (not "macaca" George Allen- the coach is the outgoing senator's father), and they had a young ND QB named Tom Clements.... but I digress with the history lesson.

The point is the way JP has been handled is pretty close to the "how not to develop a QB" passages from Marv's book. He must be going insane, although he didn't have much choice with the situation he inherited.

and btw, one of the things that frustrated me about the way the offseason was handled was the lack of attention to the OL. Don't get me wrong- I understand that this team had a ton of needs and Marv had to pick and choose what to address in one off-season. But it stands to reason that if you're gonna evaluate a QB, make sure he has decent protection and somewhere to go with the ball. Instead, we have Lee Evans and a cadre of retreads at WR, worthless TE's and more retreads on the OL.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

We all understand what the gameplan was.. I just dont think it was a good gameplan. I honestly would love to see our offense get injected with a dose of west coast. It's perfect for getting pressure off of the QB. Dump a pass off to your RB, and have your OL move up and block for him. Indy did that a couple of times and it absolutely killed us.

Comment

• Kerr
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              in Marv's book, he talks a lot about developing QB's, mostly from when he was an assistant to George Allen (not "macaca" George Allen- the coach is the outgoing senator's father), and they had a young ND QB named Tom Clements.... but I digress with the history lesson.

The point is the way JP has been handled is pretty close to the "how not to develop a QB" passages from Marv's book. He must be going insane, although he didn't have much choice with the situation he inherited.

and btw, one of the things that frustrated me about the way the offseason was handled was the lack of attention to the OL. Don't get me wrong- I understand that this team had a ton of needs and Marv had to pick and choose what to address in one off-season. But it stands to reason that if you're gonna evaluate a QB, make sure he has decent protection and somewhere to go with the ball. Instead, we have Lee Evans and a cadre of retreads at WR, worthless TE's and more retreads on the OL.

Simply put, op. Tom Dumbahoe drafted a qb that was going to have a difficult time adjusting to being a pocket passer with nobody good enough to help him make that transition. As I pointed out before, Alex Smith was a shotgun qb like jp. He hasn't had it easy, but he has norv turner. Norv Turner is a blessing for a qb. Smith has improved this season compared to last. I think many factors have contributed to the offenses' anemic output. How many times have we seen and heard over at atlanta they want vick to be a pocket qb. It doesn't work. Vick is not a pocket qb. He's a playmaker when he takes off and moves his feet. Most of the big plays are a result of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X