PDA

View Full Version : Constructing an offense

xXSpIkes5IXx
11-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I have been trying to analyze how high powered offensive teams front offices have built to try to answer the question do you build around a QB, or do you assemble talent on the offense and then draft your franchise QB?

This is a question that is not easily answered. When i look at how the indianapolis colts built that high powered offense that dominated the nfl i see that in the 1996 draft they drafted Marvin Harrison in the first round. Also in '95 they drafted Ken Dilger, a pass catching tight end that Peyton threw to alot in his early years. A year later in the 1997 NFL draft the Colts took Tarik Glenn AND Adam Meadows, in the first and second rounds both of whom were quality starters with the colts until meadows left in 2003 or 04. (i dont quite remember), glenn is still a probowl quality LT.

Remember, at this time the Colts still had Marshall Faulk at running back. It wasent until 1999 when the Colts traded Faulk and drafted Edgerin James.

My point is, Indy already had the makings of a top notch offensive line, a top flight running back, a pass catching TE, and a standout #1 Wide reciever when they drafted Peyton Manning in 1998.

If you look at the Cincinnati Bengals, one of the other top flight offenses of today, before they drafted Carson Palmer they already had Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmenzadeh (who was not a starter yet), Corey Dillon and Rudi Johnson, as well as Levi Jones and Willie Anderson on the Offensive line, and guard Eric Steinbach was drafted in 2003 along with Palmer.

Right now the Bills have only 1 of those elements, the #1 wide reciever. This analysis has lead me to believe that the best way to go about building an offense is to assemble the talent around the quarterback position first, and then draft your franchise QB who when he steps in, will have the weapons to be successful. With this point, a believe that in the draft this year, we should draft an offensive player, but NOT A QB. Yes, it may mean another year of JP, but in the long run, i think we will be better off waiting to draft our QB.

justasportsfan
11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Another thing that adds up to a high powered O whether it's the colts or the 90's bills in continuity and familiarity amongst the players. We haven't had that not only with the players but the coaching staff and system as well yet some fans expect too much too soon.

It takes time to get everyoneon the same page. We don't have a qb who is the next Peyton and even Peyton himself struggled in his first year.

YardRat
11-13-2006, 04:32 PM
QB is the most insignificant position in team sports...it's already been proven.

Obviously you build the rest of the team first, than plug in a Player-to-be-Named later.

The last buffalo fan
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I have been trying to analyze how high powered offensive teams front offices have built to try to answer the question do you build around a QB, or do you assemble talent on the offense and then draft your franchise QB?

This is a question that is not easily answered. When i look at how the indianapolis colts built that high powered offense that dominated the nfl i see that in the 1996 draft they drafted Marvin Harrison in the first round. Also in '95 they drafted Ken Dilger, a pass catching tight end that Peyton threw to alot in his early years. A year later in the 1997 NFL draft the Colts took Tarik Glenn AND Adam Meadows, in the first and second rounds both of whom were quality starters with the colts until meadows left in 2003 or 04. (i dont quite remember), glenn is still a probowl quality LT.

Remember, at this time the Colts still had Marshall Faulk at running back. It wasent until 1999 when the Colts traded Faulk and drafted Edgerin James.

My point is, Indy already had the makings of a top notch offensive line, a top flight running back, a pass catching TE, and a standout #1 Wide reciever when they drafted Peyton Manning in 1998.

If you look at the Cincinnati Bengals, one of the other top flight offenses of today, before they drafted Carson Palmer they already had Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmenzadeh (who was not a starter yet), Corey Dillon and Rudi Johnson, as well as Levi Jones and Willie Anderson on the Offensive line, and guard Eric Steinbach was drafted in 2003 along with Palmer.

Right now the Bills have only 1 of those elements, the #1 wide reciever. This analysis has lead me to believe that the best way to go about building an offense is to assemble the talent around the quarterback position first, and then draft your franchise QB who when he steps in, will have the weapons to be successful. With this point, a believe that in the draft this year, we should draft an offensive player, but NOT A QB. Yes, it may mean another year of JP, but in the long run, i think we will be better off waiting to draft our QB.

:posrep:

By the way, Spikes sucks at this time. My oldest son, who is 9 years old told me yesterday during the game, "Dad, the bills are a bad team. Why are you wearing number 51, who is Spikes, is he a good player on the team??" Then, I pointed Takeo during the game, and when he was coming out of the field, during a third and something play, he told me again, "Is he old, is he scare to get hited?? Because this game is dangerous, right Dad??"

GFLuNEEDit
11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Another thing that adds up to a high powered O whether it's the colts or the 90's bills in continuity and familiarity amongst the players. We haven't had that not only with the players but the coaching staff and system as well yet some fans expect too much too soon.

It takes time to get everyoneon the same page. We don't have a qb who is the next Peyton and even Peyton himself struggled in his first year.

Losman is in his 3rd year

xXSpIkes5IXx
11-13-2006, 10:47 PM
By the way, Spikes sucks at this time.

That had absolutely nothing to do with my post!!

And i watch the games and i know how spikes is struggling, what do you want me to do? change my name?

ddaryl
11-14-2006, 02:56 AM
This team needs players at quite a few positions. The OL, WR, and TE are a definites.

If JP continues to look uninspired then we need to think QB. I'm sticking by the plan to let JP have most if not all the year, which is why I'm not going to get involved with hating on him. its a fools move ot sit him now, and we aren't a playoff team with any QB. I've said it before and I'll say it again, let JP have the year and if he leads us to a top 5 pick we'll be in position to draft another QB for the future, while we continue to build up the team capable of supporitng our next new young QB.

I think we can bring in a solid QB to add to the competiton next year, and KH can be let go IMO. Nall and FA QB and a drafted QB on the roster is what I forsee happening next season at the QB position. This is considering the distinct possiblity that JP will not be the Bills QB in 2007

We need some more quality OL at G and RT. We need ot draft OL and we need to bring in FA OL

We need a quality TE that can block as well as run routes and catch consistenly.

I believe we can use upgrades ar WR, but I also feel fixing QB/OL/TE will greatly improve the WR position and of course the running game. So IMO WR is not as important as improvng OL/TE/QB in the short term.

This team needs some LB's too and with the rest of our FA money we need a DT that can take up 2 gaps while the rest of the DL remains focused on speed/pursuit

YardRat
11-14-2006, 05:52 AM
^ That's a good post.

jamze132
11-14-2006, 06:16 AM
What we need to do is buy the best O-lineman available in FA the next two years while drafting a couple of Day 1 in each of our next 2 drafts. We can find a stop-gap QB to play until we can find a better one.