• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Hey BMN

Are they as bad as we think they are? I'll admit that I'm biased, but I kind of see them as a bunch of NASCAR fans that don't really understand hockey trying to kill time during the week.

"A lahne change? Is that what they cahll it when the players lahke go to the sahde of the oval for a pit stop?"

The one thing that I always come back to is how they couldn't sell out their first two home playoff games and the fans completely ditched them when they weren't dominating.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: Hey BMN

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Are they as bad as we think they are? I'll admit that I'm biased, but I kind of see them as a bunch of NASCAR fans that don't really understand hockey trying to kill time during the week.

"A lahne change? Is that what they cahll it when the players lahke go to the sahde of the oval for a pit stop?"

The one thing that I always come back to is how they couldn't sell out their first two home playoff games and the fans completely ditched them when they weren't dominating.
    No, they aren't like that exactly... but they also aren't like Buffalo fans at all. There are some diehards, yes, but few and far between. Both games I've been to, tons of families in the place. Mom, Dad, and 2-3 little kids is very normal. Loooooooots of female fans, who are actually decently educated on the game. The crowd in general doesn't really know all the nuances of hockey however. They're extremely "Homeristic" when it comes to penalties and what not. The cheering with the Southern accent is something I'll never get used to though.

As far as the redneck thing, I really haven't seen that much at all. Seems to me it's much more a white collar crowd then anything else. Many of them seem pretty new to hockey and therefore the bandwagon effect is in full swing as witnessed by the emptiness of the place last night. Their was a fairly large number of Sabres fans in attendance last night due to the huge number of transplanted Western NYers in the area, such as myself. We were heard all over the place throughout the night as well...

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
      No, they aren't like that exactly... but they also aren't like Buffalo fans at all. There are some diehards, yes, but few and far between. Both games I've been to, tons of families in the place. Mom, Dad, and 2-3 little kids is very normal. Loooooooots of female fans, who are actually decently educated on the game. The crowd in general doesn't really know all the nuances of hockey however. They're extremely "Homeristic" when it comes to penalties and what not. The cheering with the Southern accent is something I'll never get used to though.

As far as the redneck thing, I really haven't seen that much at all. Seems to me it's much more a white collar crowd then anything else. Many of them seem pretty new to hockey and therefore the bandwagon effect is in full swing as witnessed by the emptiness of the place last night. Their was a fairly large number of Sabres fans in attendance last night due to the huge number of transplanted Western NYers in the area, such as myself. We were heard all over the place throughout the night as well...
      maybe it's a southern thing. Redskins games are much more white collar than Bills games too. It's hard to describe unless you witness it, but the best way to state it is that Skins fans tailgate with wine and cheese off of folding tables with tablecloths, whereas Bills fans cook chicken wings in steel bowls on Hibachis. There are plenty of diehard Skins fans, but most of them can't afford to go to the games cuz FedEx is so expensive. The people who go are there more for atmosphere than for football. And the local sports media is the biggest bandwagon jumpers of them all when it comes to the Skins, and it definitely reverberates through the local fan base.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SABuffalo786
        • Feb 2003

Did the Buffalo fans really punt babies from the edge of the upper tier???

I hate those nasty Buffalo fans!
        "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
        We are the Rockpile
        We are the Rockpile
        BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
          • May 2005

Originally posted by SABuffalo786
          Did the Buffalo fans really punt babies from the edge of the upper tier???

I hate those nasty Buffalo fans!
          I don't know about all that, but we apparantly got a pretty bad rep from the playoff series last year, because they still all talk about it when the Sabres come to town. I didn't see anybody being unruly on Monday night, just fans cheering their team and having a good time. Most of the Canes fans were good spirited too, congratulating us on their way out and telling us what a great team we have this season. Their standards are probably higher though since it's a bunch of middle age families in attendance, I can see where they'd think our normal behavior was out of hand. They wouldn't survive at a game in Buffalo though, that's for sure.

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

People said we broke class, yelled in childrens faces, started hitting people for no reason, threw beer...yet its funny that i sat around a full section of Sabres fans for game 5 and NOTHING of that sort went on. And if you looked at the ppl in our section you would think it would be us drunken idiots causing the trouble..18-25 yrs old throughout, drunk.. and we just cheered wildly, taunted fans yes..but if they cant take the heat get out of the nhl.

They just cant handle us.

Our yelling and screaming gets them a bit agitated and they dont know what the hell to do or say when we get chants going louder than them in their own building
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
            X