PDA

View Full Version : Fans say McGahee is NOT a star!

X-Era
11-14-2006, 12:50 PM
On NFL.com, todays poll asks which ex-Miami running back is the best of this group:

Clinton Portis
Edge
Frank Gore
Willis McGahee

Guess who came in last place?

You guessed it, our boy.

Thats not exactly resounding support that McGahee is worth anything more than an average back. Frank Gore? I can see Clinton and even Edge, but Frank Gore?

LtFinFan66
11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
WOW! What a poll. 2 guys are hurt, one is stuck in the black hole known as Arizona and then the rookie. :scratch:

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Gore is the best of that group, IMO.

LtFinFan66
11-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Thats what Schefter thinks too

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9800358

PECKERWOOD
11-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Gore is the best of that group, IMO.
Gore is a really good back.. But I seriously wonder if his knees will hold out. He has had countless operations on both knees.

Pinkerton Security
11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
In my opinion, this simply shows the instant gratification that is the mindset of most people on our country. Willis is hurt, Gore has had some monster games, and as of a couple weeks ago McGahee was among the league leaders in rushing yards. Had they given this poll 5 weeks ago, i bet it may have been different. who knows for sure. however, I'd have to say I'd take Willis over Gore anyday....idk about the others though, they're dang good.

PECKERWOOD
11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
In my opinion, this simply shows the instant gratification that is the mindset of most people on our country. Willis is hurt, Gore has had some monster games, and as of a couple weeks ago McGahee was among the league leaders in rushing yards. Had they given this poll 5 weeks ago, i bet it may have been different. who knows for sure. however, I'd have to say I'd take Willis over Gore anyday....idk about the others though, they're dang good.

He was leading the league in rushing, but what you are failing to assert is that he had the most attempts out of all the backs. That isnt a knock on McGahee, but his ypc is pretty low for an 'elite' back. The franchise type of backs should atleast be getting 4.0 ypc. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. Eddie George is one of them.

THATHURMANATOR
11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
On NFL.com, todays poll asks which ex-Miami running back is the best of this group:

Clinton Portis
Edge
Frank Gore
Willis McGahee

Guess who came in last place?

You guessed it, our boy.

Thats not exactly resounding support that McGahee is worth anything more than an average back. Frank Gore? I can see Clinton and even Edge, but Frank Gore?
You obviously haven't seen Gore play this season. He is performing the best out of those four that is for sure!

THATHURMANATOR
11-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't hate Willis. I question his attitude somewhat, but my biggest concern is that he is going to want a mega contract coming up and he isn't worth it IMO...

PECKERWOOD
11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't hate Willis. I question his attitude somewhat, but my biggest concern is that he is going to want a mega contract coming up and he isn't worth it IMO...

Totally agree. Willis has the potential to be a great back, it just doesnt look like he is running with an attitude at times. But to be perfectly honest, we havent had a passing game to compliment him. If we could get the right offense set up, I could see him putting up MVP type numbers.

LtBillsFan66
11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
I put Willis in the top 15-20 range. He isn't any better than average.

Saratoga Slim
11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I put Willis in the top 15-20 range. He isn't any better than average.

disagree. I think he's clearly better than average. Not performing at an elite level, but I suspect the OL and our absolute absence of a passing game does not help his YPC.

DMBcrew36
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I think McGahee is better than Edge. Edge is overrated. His great years can be attributed to the Peyton Manning effect.

PECKERWOOD
11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I think McGahee is better than Edge. Edge is overrated. His great years can be attributed to the Peyton Manning effect.

Now, now!! The Peyton effect, certainly has something to do with it. To a degree! I'm not going to discredit Edge's career over one bad season in Arizona.. Plus, if any team in the NFL had an OL worst than Buffalo's, Arizona would certainly be high on my list.. ( Next to Oakland and Houston..)

evol4276
11-14-2006, 04:20 PM
frank gore's the freakin man tho this year

evol4276
11-14-2006, 04:25 PM
if i remember correcty Edge is a lot better of a pass blocker than anything.. but as I personally see things my list would be:

Portis (if he can stay healthy now)
Gore (becoming impressive behind a horrid team)
Mcgahee
Edge

sorry but this is just how I see it. McGahee isnt goo for pass blocking but I do not hate him like others. He just needs to take time to learn that sometimes you need to quit dancing around and waiting for something to develop (which can't happen much behind this o) and run at something hard instead

ParanoidAndroid
11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Saying Edge was as good as he was in Indy because of Manning is like saying Thomas was good because of Kelly.
Edge is at least #2 on that list as an arguable subordinate to Portis.
Gore is clearly better than McGahee. They both get a lot of touches, but Gore seems to do more with them to the tune of 1.2 more yards per carry.

gr8slayer
11-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Frank Gore is running like a man on a mission. If Willis would grow a pair and run like that he would be the best back in the league like he says.

GFLuNEEDit
11-14-2006, 07:06 PM

In a similar way that is my thought in regards to how fans have reacted to McGahee.

They expected McGahee to be an impact player, and at every opportunity they try to fit his stats to that expectation.

The man averages 3.8 yards per carry over his carrier.

He is nothing more than a dime a dozen back.