If Buffalo had QB play that brought ANYTHING to the table...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thurmal
    • Oct 2005

If Buffalo had QB play that brought ANYTHING to the table...

The first Pats game, the Jets game, the Lions game, and the Colts game were all lost because either:

A) Losman made a ton of backbreaking mistakes, or

B) The coaching staff was so worried he would screw up, that they didn't let him attempt any meaningful passes.

Losman's performance stems from several problems:

1. He thinks entirely too much. It seems he aims his passes and almost psyches himself out. His best throws this year were when the pocket broke down, and he had to throw on the run with no time to contemplate the pass.

2. The offensive line is terrible.

3. The coaching staff doesn't seem to call plays to his strengths. Let Losman roll out; let him run the ball. I'm convinced that he will never be a good pocket passer.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: If Buffalo had QB play that brought ANYTHING to the table...

Look, I'm not defending Losman's play, but this team would not be 6-3 or 7-2 under ANY circumstances right now...

Jon

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I'm with Mudflap on this one- no QB would do that much better than Losman behind our line. And early in the season our D got lit up several times too.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

With a good QB...this team would easily be in first place in the AFC East....that's the most annoying part of this season.

We had plenty of winnable games so far and games we stayed close in, no thanks to our offensive production. The first NE game, Jets game and last week vs the Colts.

If you honestly believe that if we didn't have competent QB we'd be a contender then you're blind. Notice I didn't say great, I only said competent. We don't even that right now.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Thurmal
          The first Pats game, the Jets game, the Lions game, and the Colts game were all lost because either:

B) The coaching staff was so worried he would screw up, that they didn't let him attempt any meaningful passes.

Losman's performance stems from several problems:

1. He thinks entirely too much. It seems he aims his passes and almost psyches himself out. His best throws this year were when the pocket broke down, and he had to throw on the run with no time to contemplate the pass.

3. The coaching staff doesn't seem to call plays to his strengths. Let Losman roll out; let him run the ball. I'm convinced that he will never be a good pocket passer.
          You cant call roll out plays constantly.. Especially against teams like Green Bay and Indianopolis. KGB, Kampman, Mathis and Freeney make their livings off speed and containing the QB in the pocket.. It honestly depends on who you are playing, if bootlegs will be effective.

I dont think our OL is that far away from becoming a good one. RG and RT are the weakest spots. But Peters, Gandy and Fowler are all good linemen. We however will have another hole at LG if we dont resign Gandy. (FA after this year is up..)

True. Losman has made some boneheaded mistakes, however some of his fumbles should be credited to his OL too. ( as I see you have done..) With all this said, Losman has made some very big plays earlier in the year. I saw much progress against NE, Miami, and Minnesota the first time around..

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            I'm with Mudflap on this one- no QB would do that much better than Losman behind our line. And early in the season our D got lit up several times too.

The diff between good and bad in the NFL is so small!

Look at it this way, We've lost 3 games by 3 points or less. So a few field goals or a few bounces and we could easily be 6-3 and tied for first place. At the same time, we won close games and we could be 0-9.

Sure the league has a few great teams, but there's not much diff. between the rest of them.
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Jimbuktu
              • Oct 2004

Oh my god, the Bills suck ... get over it!

Didn't we know coming into this season that it was meant for rebuilding?

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

rebuilding is crap. You don't rebuild. You build. The poster is right, a different QB in this situation, maybe even KH could very well be challenging for a playoff spot right now. As a matter of fact, I'd go so far to say that KH probably would be challenging for a playoff spot right now. It's nice to take that step...but are we really ready to go anywhere right now? No we aren't. Pretty soon we're going to know if we should shed JP Lossman or not.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                  With a good QB...this team would easily be in first place in the AFC East....that's the most annoying part of this season.

We had plenty of winnable games so far and games we stayed close in, no thanks to our offensive production. The first NE game, Jets game and last week vs the Colts.

If you honestly believe that if we didn't have competent QB we'd be a contender then you're blind. Notice I didn't say great, I only said competent. We don't even that right now.
                  I don't agree with this at all. Not saying we coudn't be but with the easily part like QB was the only part of our team performing badly...

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

Once we fix the OL, and JP starts to get more experience under his belt. I believe we do have a winning team, and we would contend for first place in the AFC East. OL and QB are that important. I think Losman is the quickest way of doing this.

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                      rebuilding is crap. You don't rebuild. You build. The poster is right, a different QB in this situation, maybe even KH could very well be challenging for a playoff spot right now. As a matter of fact, I'd go so far to say that KH probably would be challenging for a playoff spot right now. It's nice to take that step...but are we really ready to go anywhere right now? No we aren't. Pretty soon we're going to know if we should shed JP Lossman or not.
                      Holcomb? JP was outplaying him at the end of the year last year as it is.....and Holcomb clearly regressed
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        I don't agree with this at all. Not saying we coudn't be but with the easily part like QB was the only part of our team performing badly...
                        Thurm the point is this, our o-line is slightly below average....plenty of QBs in this league play with a below average to average line and can still succeed. Phillip Rivers plays behind a line with no all-pros....Baltimores' o-line outside of Ogden is junk....New England, year after year, just plugs different guys into their o-line....The Bears have an o-line filled off nobodies.

With a competent QB, one that say could pass for 150 yards a game, maybe take a little pressure of our running game, freeing up the box for Willis and now the A-train, we'd easily turn a few of this close losses into wins.

With 3 more wins, 1 of them being over NE, we're 6-3 and in first place right now. I'm sick of hearing we're rebuilding, we're rebuilding. It's an excuse bad teams make. Arizona has been rebuilding for 50 years, Clevelands been rebuilding since they got back in the league, Oaklands' rebuilding blah blah blah. None of the teams I've listed are rebuilding, they just suck.

We're a competent QB away from being a legitimate contender in this parity stricken NFL. Bottom line.

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

With a competent QB, one that say could pass for 150 yards a game, maybe take a little pressure of our running game, freeing up the box for Willis and now the A-train, we'd easily turn a few of this close losses into wins.
                          If the gameplan and playcalling doesn't call for them to pass the ball....it wouldn't matter who was playing QB...how hard is that to understand? seriously?
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The_Philster
                            If the gameplan and playcalling doesn't call for them to pass the ball....it wouldn't matter who was playing QB...how hard is that to understand? seriously?

2 games out of his 17 starts he's been "handcuffed" as you want to call it to a low amount of attempts. Point is even in those low attempts, he can still make plays from time to time and pick up chunks of yardage.

And it would matter, because if there was a better QB...you wouldn't have this type of playcalling. If there was trust in the QB they wouldn't gameplan to not have him beat yourself. And so on.

We're not relegated to watching a team that doesn't gameplan to win games, but gameplans not to lose them. Before the opening kickoff, we're playing not to lose. If you've watched football long enough, you know what happens when you play not to lose 9 times out of 10.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              Thurm the point is this, our o-line is slightly below average....plenty of QBs in this league play with a below average to average line and can still succeed. Phillip Rivers plays behind a line with no all-pros....Baltimores' o-line outside of Ogden is junk....New England, year after year, just plugs different guys into their o-line....The Bears have an o-line filled off nobodies.

With 3 more wins, 1 of them being over NE, we're 6-3 and in first place right now. I'm sick of hearing we're rebuilding, we're rebuilding. It's an excuse bad teams make. Arizona has been rebuilding for 50 years, Clevelands been rebuilding since they got back in the league, Oaklands' rebuilding blah blah blah. None of the teams I've listed are rebuilding, they just suck.

We're a competent QB away from being a legitimate contender in this parity stricken NFL. Bottom line.
                              It isnt slightly below average, it sucks. On a scale from 1-10 how would you rank each player? 10 being the best, 5 being average and 1 being the worst. ( A talent around 10, would be like an Orlando Pace or Walter Jones type of player.. )

Peters - 7
                              Gandy - 5
                              Fowler - 5
                              Villarial - 4
                              Pennington - 3

Thats what I came up with.. Our left side of the line is slightly above average, but the right side is severly lacking.. I would honestly rather have a line where everybody is average, versus a line that is only strong on one side..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍