PDA

View Full Version : Patriots sign 43-year-old Testaverde

Mitchy moo
11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
FOXBOROUGH, Mass - Vinny Testaverde, who came out of retirement last season to help out the New York Jets, was signed on Tuesday by New England.
The 43-year-old quarterback, the first overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 1987 draft, has played 19 NFL seasons and has 269 touchdown passes, eighth in NFL history, and is sixth with 45,252 yards passing.
He becomes the third quarterback on the Patriots roster, behind Tom Brady and second-year man Matt Cassel.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15720128/

BILLSROCK1212
11-14-2006, 05:47 PM
IDC wat team Vinny is on I will always respect him....I'd love to see Vinny play again although I would also love to say that I saw Vinny and Dug Flutie's last snaps in the NFL at the stadium for the final MNF game on ABC

ParanoidAndroid
11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
How do you have green testacles and still play football when you're 43?

Mudflap1
11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I'd be willing to bet Brady is secretly hurt ... shoulder problems perhaps? Explains why he's played poorly the past two weeks.

Jon

Dozerdog
11-14-2006, 06:03 PM
IDC wat team Vinny is on I will always respect him....I'd love to see Vinny play again although I would also love to say that I saw Vinny and Dug Flutie's last snaps in the NFL at the stadium for the final MNF game on ABCI would love to see Vinny play again this year!!!!

Dozerdog
11-14-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd be willing to bet Brady is secretly hurt ... shoulder problems perhaps? Explains why he's played poorly the past two weeks.

JonMy guess is they want an assistant coach in pads for Matt Cassell, their very talented but raw backup.

YardRat
11-14-2006, 06:05 PM

Jon

He got whacked pretty good on the last play of the game against the Jets this past Sunday.

BILLSROCK1212
11-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Jonit's not a secret it is a fact he has been probable for i think every game of the past 2 seasons i know this season it has been cas of his shoulder but i think last year was the same

G. Host
11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
I would love to see Vinny play again this year!!!!

He probably will in a blowout handing off the ball.

Mudflap1
11-14-2006, 07:43 PM
My guess is they want an assistant coach in pads for Matt Cassell, their very talented but raw backup.

Maybe, but why are they doing this now, after the 9th game of the season? I think Brady's banged up...

Jon

SABURZFAN
11-14-2006, 08:47 PM
how old is jim kelly?i bet he could start over the bums we have right now.

Dozerdog
11-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Maybe, but why are they doing this now, after the 9th game of the season? I think Brady's banged up...

JonCap issues- they get a vet at half price

jamze132
11-15-2006, 04:19 AM
Vinny was more than likely brought in as an insurance policy. It's not secret that Brady isn't the healthiest guy in the NFL. They just would rather have a verteran with a butt load of experience come in down the playoff stretch to hold down the fort until Brady is back than a 2nd year unrpoven guy. it makes complete sense from an organiational point of view.

CuseJetsFan83
11-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Vinny was more than likely brought in as an insurance policy. It's not secret that Brady isn't the healthiest guy in the NFL. They just would rather have a verteran with a butt load of experience come in down the playoff stretch to hold down the fort until Brady is back than a 2nd year unrpoven guy. it makes complete sense from an organiational point of view.

agreed...... i can still hate the patriots, but i can't hate vinny

scott51
11-15-2006, 06:42 AM
My guess is they want an assistant coach in pads for Matt Cassell, their very talented but raw backup.

Yeah because we all know the the "All Great, All Knowing, Alll My Head is Up Bill Beliceks butt" Tom Brady isn't going to take time out of his precious scedule to help the guy!

Sorry, I just can't resist the chance to take a swing at Brady when I get it!

Ickybaluky
11-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Vinny was more than likely brought in as an insurance policy. It's not secret that Brady isn't the healthiest guy in the NFL.

Really?

He has never missed a game and currently has the 3rd longest active starting streak among QBs (after Brett Favre and Peyton Manning).

Why is it that people always look for something nefarious? The Pats looked at Vinny a month ago, but didn't have the roster spot until this week when rookie TE/FB Garrett Mills went on IR. Belichick has always had a veteran around at QB, last year it was Flutie and this year it is Vinny. He can provide Brady with another veteran to talk to, and is a guy Belichick trusts.

It is as simple as that.

jamze132
11-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Really?

He has never missed a game and currently has the 3rd longest active starting streak among QBs (after Brett Favre and Peyton Manning).

Why is it that people always look for something nefarious? The Pats looked at Vinny a month ago, but didn't have the roster spot until this week when rookie TE/FB Garrett Mills went on IR. Belichick has always had a veteran around at QB, last year it was Flutie and this year it is Vinny. He can provide Brady with another veteran to talk to, and is a guy Belichick trusts.

It is as simple as that.
Ok, for one, check YOUR team's injury report for the last two years. That is where i got my information from. If he isn't hurt in any capacity, why has he been listed as "probable" for almost 2 years now?

And please explain to me how I am looking for something "nefarious"? I thought it made perfect sense to have Vinny come in to be a backup.

Ickybaluky
11-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Ok, for one, check YOUR team's injury report for the last two years. That is where i got my information from. If he isn't hurt in any capacity, why has he been listed as "probable" for almost 2 years now?

And please explain to me how I am looking for something "nefarious"? I thought it made perfect sense to have Vinny come in to be a backup.

Brady has been listed as probable for over 2 years because Belichick likes to thumb his nose at the NFL injury report process. Brady being listed on there is a running joke. He has never missed a start in his career, I don't know how you could say he "isn't the healthiest guy in the NFL".

The reason I said people are looking for something nefarious is because they wonder if Vinny Testaverde being signed is due to Brady being hurt. Testaverde was signed as a veteran backup, something the Pats have almost always had. He is a veteran sounding board for Brady. Cassell is still the primary backup, and he would play if Brady is injured. Vinny wouldn't provide any sort of insurance, because he is washed up. If it comes down to Vinny playing, the Pats are hosed.

Dozerdog
11-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Brady has been listed as probable for over 2 years because Belichick likes to thumb his nose at the NFL injury report process. Brady being listed on there is a running joke. He has never missed a start in his career, I don't know how you could say he "isn't the healthiest guy in the NFL".

The reason I said people are looking for something nefarious is because they wonder if Vinny Testaverde being signed is due to Brady being hurt. Testaverde was signed as a veteran backup, something the Pats have almost always had. He is a veteran sounding board for Brady. Cassell is still the primary backup, and he would play if Brady is injured. Vinny wouldn't provide any sort of insurance, because he is washed up. If it comes down to Vinny playing, the Pats are hosed.Thanks for injecting some common sense

G. Host
11-15-2006, 10:39 AM

The reason I said people are looking for something nefarious is because they wonder if Vinny Testaverde being signed is due to Brady being hurt. Testaverde was signed as a veteran backup, something the Pats have almost always had. He is a veteran sounding board for Brady. Cassell is still the primary backup, and he would play if Brady is injured. Vinny wouldn't provide any sort of insurance, because he is washed up. If it comes down to Vinny playing, the Pats are hosed.

Then why use a roster spot? Just make him a QB or Offense assistant,

Ickybaluky
11-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Then why use a roster spot? Just make him a QB or Offense assistant,

Because having him as the emergency QB provides more utility, in the team's opinion, than signing a TE to replace Garrett Mills. If there is an injury to their QB, Vinny is there, and he has a wealth of experience which Brady can utilitize. He basically is what Doug Flutie was last season.

eyedog
11-15-2006, 01:12 PM
NE39, why was Belichick acting like a B-punk towards Mangini after the game ? Didn't they get their usual allotment of calls ? I seen they got one of Brady's interceptions back.

Ickybaluky
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
NE39, why was Belichick acting like a B-punk towards Mangini after the game ? Didn't they get their usual allotment of calls ? I seen they got one of Brady's interceptions back.

Yeah, that must be it.

zone
11-15-2006, 08:02 PM
J Kelly is only 3 years older than Vinny... Bring him back!

Reich is only 45.

SABURZFAN
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Because having him as the emergency QB provides more utility, in the team's opinion, than signing a TE to replace Garrett Mills. If there is an injury to their QB, Vinny is there, and he has a wealth of experience which Brady can utilitize. He basically is what Doug Flutie was last season.

i think it's a great move by you guys.vinny's still in great shape for his age.

jamze132
11-17-2006, 04:20 AM

If it came down to it, I would rather have Vinny for one game than Cassell. I am pretty sure your anti - NFL Injury Report coach would do the same.

Ickybaluky
11-17-2006, 06:05 AM
If it came down to it, I would rather have Vinny for one game than Cassell. I am pretty sure your anti - NFL Injury Report coach would do the same.

The coaches really like Cassel. A lot. He made a big jump from year one to year two, and they made him the 2nd-string guy based on his offseason work.

If Brady is injured, Cassell will be the guy to replace him. That hasn't changed.

In that scenario, Vinny will play if Cassell is overwhelmed by starting like a deer caught in headlights. However, Cassell will get his shot.