PDA

View Full Version : By the numbers: How bad is Buffalo's O-line?

The_Philster
11-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Currently sitting a disappointing 3-6 on the 2006 NFL season, many are looking for scapegoats as to why the <A class=articlelinks href="http://bills.realfootball365.com/"><ACRONYM title="Buffalo Bills News">Buffalo Bills</ACRONYM> have been so bad. More often than not, the two areas of blame are the quarterback position and offensive line. Judging by the reactions of Bills fans over this writer's criticism of third-year passer J.P. Losman (http://realfootball365.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6781&team=2), they seem to believe the line is mostly at fault....more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/11/bills-oline-howbad151106.html)

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Yeah, we needed stats to prove our O-line blows. Put any QB behind this line and see what you get. By keeping JP as a sitting duck behind it doesn't help either. I understand the "read the D" scenario but his handcuffs need to come off soon. I want to see the last 4 games with a wide-open O.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2006, 07:31 AM
This is a great offensive line. Any QB that can't function behind it is worthless. :str8face:

jamze132
11-15-2006, 07:34 AM
I wonder if any of our O-lineman will make the Pro Bowl practice dummy sqaud?

clumping platelets
11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
bottom 5 in the league IMO

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Gandy, Villareal and a starting RT.

We have 2 players that will be back on our OL as starters. Peters and Fowler. We had better get 3 studs or there really is no reason to expect different results next year.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2006, 08:17 AM
I am not ready to give up on Pennington, nor should anybody.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 08:28 AM
I am not ready to give up on Pennington, nor should anybody.

I think the problem is that people around here have been patient for way too long. How many experiments do we have to live with? Teague, Anderson, Willams, Gandy and now Pennington. Pennington has not looked like Mangold out there either. He was a 7th rounder for a reason.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2006, 08:30 AM
The guys you list are not rookies. Pennington has not played more than 3 games.

You and I are showing patience with JP. THe same should be afforded for Pennington.

And 7th round pick is a moot point. Peters was an URFA. Should he be gone?

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 08:34 AM
The guys you list are not rookies. Pennington has not played more than 3 games.

You and I are showing patience with JP. THe same should be afforded for Pennington.

And 7th round pick is a moot point. Peters was an URFA. Should he be gone?

Yes, pateince is great when there is not a better option. If Peyton Manning comes available, I will be personally driving the bus that takes JP out of here. I'm not saying that Pennington isn't capable but if somebody is significantly better in FA he's getting replaced in my book!!

bigbub2352
11-15-2006, 08:49 AM
I hate to say it but i was at the INDY game, and eventhough Pennington is only 3 games in he is really bad out there, i am not givin up on him but he really struggles bad in pass blocking, he was beaten consistently almost ever pass play, run blocking he shows promise though, Villereal, Gandy, Fowler all suck real bad, i dont know how Fowler escapes any critism, as much as he is athletic he consistently miss blocks on the run, and against the pass u bull rush him and he gets driven back and he is beaten way to often plus struggle in shot gun snaps, the other two just plain suck and we need to revamp this line keep maybe fowler as a backup, and get a RT and RG and LG, i know i know cant get rid of everybody but inorder for us to become successful it has to be done

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 08:53 AM
I hate to say it but i was at the INDY game, and eventhough Pennington is only 3 games in he is really bad out there, i am not givin up on him but he really struggles bad in pass blocking, he was beaten consistently almost ever pass play, run blocking he shows promise though, Villereal, Gandy, Fowler all suck real bad, i dont know how Fowler escapes any critism, as much as he is athletic he consistently miss blocks on the run, and against the pass u bull rush him and he gets driven back and he is beaten way to often plus struggle in shot gun snaps, the other two just plain suck and we need to revamp this line keep maybe fowler as a backup, and get a RT and RG and LG, i know i know cant get rid of everybody but inorder for us to become successful it has to be done

BigBub you need to post more. You always have good insight!! I have to say that Fowler escapes alot of crticism because he's playing with guys that are alot worse. However, I agree that Fowler's job isn't safe either. Gandy and Villareal blow the big one.

Saratoga Slim
11-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Peters is a lock. Fowler is Teague-ish from what I can tell so far. not outstanding, but he'll suffice if we surround him with better talent than is there now. Villarial unquestionably needs to go. I don't mind keeping Gandy for a backup as he can play adequately at times at both T and G, but we need a new starting LG. At RT, I'll reserve judgment for now on Pennington, but I have a gut feeling that he's not going to cut it.

Bottom line is we need two starting caliber guards and possibly a RT.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Peters is a lock. Fowler is Teague-ish from what I can tell so far. not outstanding, but he'll suffice if we surround him with better talent than is there now. Villarial unquestionably needs to go. I don't mind keeping Gandy for a backup as he can play adequately at times at both T and G, but we need a new starting LG. At RT, I'll reserve judgment for now on Pennington, but I have a gut feeling that he's not going to cut it.

Bottom line is we need two starting caliber guards and possibly a RT.

We agree!!

bocephuz
11-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Gandy does a good job in the run game... but after watching the Colts game he is too much of a liability in pass protection. I thought putting him back at guard would make it easier for him.. but it didn't. It's mental with him.. not physical.

example: Peters does just enough to keep Freeney off of Losman on an outside speed rush ( Freeney brushes his shoulder) forcing JP to step up in the pocket. Meanwhile Gandy gives Booger McFarland one hit .. stands up right and gives up on the play and then realizes Freeney has forced JP to step up and tries to get back on his block on McFarland but it's too late.. down goes JP with no chance to make a play.

It's one thing if you get bull rushed or someone puts a good move on you.. but when you don't even make an attempt to hold your block???

Problem is there's no one better to put in there .. so they just have to go with their strengths an run left/ run left / run left.

bocephuz
11-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Villarial also put forth a glaringly bad effort...

Example: Bills are in Indy redzone and call that screen pass on right side to Peerless that worked in the Minnesota game ( albeit not due to scheme but Peerless making a great effort).From what I saw.. the design of the play is for Royal to get out and get a block on the corner and for Villarial to pull and chip the safety or db and let Peerless take it inside. Royal gets.. there ( a little late but still got a piece of the db) and Peerless still has somewhat of a chance to go inside but the linebacker on the inside takes away that lane.. and you see Villarial stumbling over upright late already having missed his block.

PECKERWOOD
11-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Pennington can stay a backup for all I care, but I do not want him starting anymore. He's too fat and slow. Furthermore, if he plays our QB is dead.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
example: Peters does just enough to keep Freeney off of Losman on an outside speed rush ( Freeney brushes his shoulder) forcing JP to step up in the pocket. Meanwhile Gandy gives Booger McFarland one hit .. stands up right and gives up on the play and then realizes Freeney has forced JP to step up and tries to get back on his block on McFarland but it's too late.. down goes JP with no chance to make a play.

It's one thing if you get bull rushed or someone puts a good move on you.. but when you don't even make an attempt to hold your block???

Problem is there's no one better to put in there .. so they just have to go with their strengths an run left/ run left / run left.

Saw the exact play. You called it perfectly. For all of the JP Bashing that goes on around here nobody noticed the vet move by JP to avoid the outside pass rush. Problem is that Gandy blows his block and it goes completely unnoticed!!

Kerr
11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm surprised butler didn't surpass pennington on the depth chart. The guy has a nasty streak that's needed in an O-line. I wish he would been given the shot over pennington to play RT. I guess he will in time if pennington doesn't improve.

PECKERWOOD
11-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I would put Buffalo in the bottom 5. A couple OL's in the same breath are: Oakland, Arizona, Miami, and Green Bay.

justasportsfan
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Get used to them. MArv is gonna devlop these guys in house. They are gonna grow together just like our team in the 90's. Marv is gonna go through the draft........ I think, which means it's gonna be a long time before we see the bills competing for playoffs. Why do you think he hired coaches that are teachers? So they can teach the young pups we draft.

Maybe an FA here and there just like Bennett.